PDA

View Full Version : Region 3 D1 GOTW: Robinson (8-2) vs. Navasota (9-1)

SHSBulldog00
11-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Saturday 2:00pm Waco ISD Stadium, Waco

varsity parent
11-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Saturday 2:00pm Waco ISD Stadium, Waco
Battle of the blue. Have not seen Navasota play. Have played Robinson. Gonna wish the Rockets good luck and will be pulling for them, but just doubt their defense can withstand the Rattlers offense. But does Navasota have a good defense? Can they slow down the Robinson quick strike offense? If they can get to the Rocket QB and knock him around early instead of letting him sit back and sling it, then Navasota will win.

HEMOTOXIC
11-10-2013, 06:00 PM
Battle of the blue. Have not seen Navasota play. Have played Robinson. Gonna wish the Rockets good luck and will be pulling for them, but just doubt their defense can withstand the Rattlers offense. But does Navasota have a good defense? Can they slow down the Robinson quick strike offense? If they can get to the Rocket QB and knock him around early instead of letting him sit back and sling it, then Navasota will win.

If you want to go based on score comparison, the two common opponents are Taylor and Caldwell.

Robinson vs
Taylor (W) 47-17
Caldwell (W) 52-3

Navasota vs
Taylor (W) 41-20
Caldwell (W) 56-7 (Navasota up 42-0 @ half)

Robinson is giving up 17.9 points per game including 1 shutout. Navasota is giving up 11.3 pts per game with 4 shutouts.

Robinson is avg 47.2 points per game. Navasota is avg 46.2 points per game.

Lorena isn't exactly known for their defense... The Leopards held the Rockets to 7 points. On the other hand, Navasota defense has seen a drop from last year's state championship team but not a huge drop.

I like our chances.

regaleagle
11-11-2013, 12:38 AM
If you want to go based on score comparison, the two common opponents are Taylor and Caldwell.

Robinson vs
Taylor (W) 47-17
Caldwell (W) 52-3

Navasota vs
Taylor (W) 41-20
Caldwell (W) 56-7 (Navasota up 42-0 @ half)

Robinson is giving up 17.9 points per game including 1 shutout. Navasota is giving up 11.3 pts per game with 4 shutouts.

Robinson is avg 47.2 points per game. Navasota is avg 46.2 points per game.

Lorena isn't exactly known for their defense... The Leopards held the Rockets to 7 points. On the other hand, Navasota defense has seen a drop from last year's state championship team but not a huge drop.

I like our chances.

Yeah, I reckon every team would have a "drop off" from last year's Rattlers team, huh? Those kind of teams only come along every once in a decade or two.....if at all. Should be a good game to watch. I thought Robinson would continue putting up the points against every team they faced, but that didn't happen. The ol' chink in the armor showed up somehow, whatever caused the scoring deficit against Lorena. Maybe it was just one of those nights for Robinson....I don't know. But we shall see in this opening round playoff game. I'm seriously doubting another result like the Lorena game for Robinson....a good passing team is hard to shut down. Maybe one given week in the season, but not very likely. Not saying Robinson will win, just that Navasota can't expect the same result this week from Robinson that Lorena got against them.

HEMOTOXIC
11-11-2013, 09:06 AM
Yeah, I reckon every team would have a "drop off" from last year's Rattlers team, huh? Those kind of teams only come along every once in a decade or two.....if at all. Should be a good game to watch. I thought Robinson would continue putting up the points against every team they faced, but that didn't happen. The ol' chink in the armor showed up somehow, whatever caused the scoring deficit against Lorena. Maybe it was just one of those nights for Robinson....I don't know. But we shall see in this opening round playoff game. I'm seriously doubting another result like the Lorena game for Robinson....a good passing team is hard to shut down. Maybe one given week in the season, but not very likely. Not saying Robinson will win, just that Navasota can't expect the same result this week from Robinson that Lorena got against them.

I for one no better to expect the same result.. LORENA was used in my response because the person who asked about Navasota's defense was from Lorena. Obviously, something is going on at Robinson.. They lose two games where they were really off their norm, I. E. The Lorena game and the upset against LaVega in week 10.

Any team has the potential to dominate and look good depending on the level of competition. Navasota included. We were rolling right along until we played Fairfield. We all know the results of that matchup. At the time, the rest of the state questioned that loss except those who saw the game. Turns out, that may have not been a bad loss for the Rattlers after all.

With that said, I still like what Navasota's defense can do. We've seen the potential throughout the season. No, I'm not expecting a total shutout of the Rockets. But, comparing offenses to offenses and defenses to defenses, I like our chances.

HEMOTOXIC
11-11-2013, 09:14 AM
The key will be for Navasota to recreate whatever Lorena did against the Rockets in their matchup. Lorena had been giving up a ton of points all year. To hold the Rockets to 7, was no easy task.

The same thing can be said about the LaVega game. What did the Pirates do to get so far ahead in their game with the Rockets?

Hopefully Fedora and company will have that all figured out by Saturday.

defense51
11-11-2013, 04:21 PM
I can't get a good read on any of the D17 teams, one week they look like world beaters, then fall apart the next.:vrycnfsd: Navasota is consistent and I think they continue the consistency this week and win by 14.

HEMOTOXIC
11-11-2013, 04:54 PM
I can't get a good read on any of the D17 teams, one week they look like world beaters, then fall apart the next.:vrycnfsd: Navasota is consistent and I think they continue the consistency this week and win by 14.

You are absolutely right. I think that it was like that last year.. Heck, it's like that every year for that matter. It is a very competive district to say the least.

Rabid Cougar
11-11-2013, 05:25 PM
If Navasota has even half of what they had last year they are 20+ better than this year's Robinson.

FB-fanatic
11-13-2013, 12:45 AM
The Leopards did pop the QB virtually every play and he became less accurate as the game went on. I too, will be pulling for our fellow 17-3AM rep, in spite of our history. Do keep in mind, much has been made of their young sophomore QB, but he is a 17 year old sophomore, so he has been around the block.

HEMOTOXIC
11-13-2013, 08:20 AM
The Leopards did pop the QB virtually every play and he became less accurate as the game went on. I too, will be pulling for our fellow 17-3AM rep, in spite of our history. Do keep in mind, much has been made of their young sophomore QB, but he is a 17 year old sophomore, so he has been around the block.

Thanks for the info. The Rattler defense will be ready. BTW, Navasot's QB is a sophomore as well. Just about all of our starting skill positions are underclassmen.

HEMOTOXIC
11-15-2013, 08:44 AM
http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/high_schools/central_texas_football/high-school-football-preview-playoffs-week/article_586cecbd-40f4-5f8d-9913-dbae557cc18f.html

Robinson (8-2) vs. Navasota (9-1)

Time/place: 2 p.m. Saturday at Waco ISD Stadium

Last week: Robinson lost to La Vega, 54-33; Navasota defeated Taylor, 41-20

Players to watch: Robinson QB Michael Davila (177-245-5, 2,609 yards, 29 TDs), RB LeVonte Owens (124-1,028, 19 TDs); Navasota QB Shelton Eppler (140-235-8, 2,358 yards, 25 TDs), DT Jordan Wells (130 tackles, 37 tackles for loss)

Key matchup: Robinson passing game vs. Navasota secondary

Breakdown: Robinson has bounced back from a frustrating season in which it dropped its last four games to reach the playoffs for the second time in three years.

Now the Rockets get a chance to measure themselves against one of the best in the state.

“Navasota is a tremendous football team,” Robinson coach Tommy Allison said. “They’re the defending state champions, and they get to wear that crown until somebody knocks it off. We’re excited to be playing them, and we’re excited to be playing in the 11th week of the season.”

The Rattlers are explosive on offense and stout on defense, having outscored opponents by a combined total of 462-113.

Their balance offensively makes them difficult to handle. Navasota has averaged 215.6 yards per game on the ground and 244.6 through the air behind sophomore quarterback Eppler. He has spread the ball around to many receivers, but Tren’Davion Dickson and Jerbrell Lipscomp are the ones he targets the most frequently. They both have more than 600 receiving yards, and Derrion Randle (121-1,162, 18 TDs) is the Rattlers’ top running threat.

If Robinson wants to have any chance of moving the ball, it must get Wells blocked. The all-state performer last year hasn’t taken a step back in his performance this season.

“If you want to win the state championship, which is the goal of every team when the year starts, you have to beat the field,” Allison said. “Whether its the first round of the playoffs or the last, you have to beat everybody. A lot of times two really good football teams are playing in the first round of the playoffs. This just happens to be one of them.”

87 TIGER
11-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Navasota will this no problem

K-MAC Chuck
11-16-2013, 10:25 AM
The Robinson HS booster club has brought K-MAC Sports on board to broadcast the game for Rocket Nation. We're very honored and will put our best foot forward!

Robinson Rockets vs. Navasota Rattlers, 1:50pm pregame, 2pm
Waco ISD Stadium
Crew: Rob Jaskula, Trey Grubb
Direct Link to broadcast: http://kmacsports.ezstream.com/play/index.cfm?fuseaction=embstay&id=3F1856FC8F

HEMOTOXIC
11-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Go Snakes.

Warm, overcast, and windy.

radioman
11-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Rattler broadcast is available on www.navasotanews.com, www.brazosfootball.com and www.radioaggieland.com. You can also download the RadioAggieland ap and listen on your smart phone. Pregame starts at 1:30.

Roughneck93
11-16-2013, 04:16 PM
Snakes lead 24-7.

Halftime

Roughneck93
11-16-2013, 05:03 PM
24-7 Snakes.

End 3rd

Roughneck93
11-16-2013, 05:06 PM
31-7 Snakes.

11:13 4th Q