PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer & Mineola TMF-Tyler Thursday 11-14-13 7:00PM Bi-District

buckeyebob
11-10-2013, 07:26 AM
District Play is over...let the Playoffs begin

Gilmer coming off a stunning defeat by the Kilgore Bulldogs...have huddled up, licked their wounds and it is now the time to move forward...What you think?

Aesculus gilmus
11-10-2013, 08:04 AM

Gilmer coming off a stunning defeat by the Kilgore Bulldogs...have huddled up, licked their wounds and it is now the time to move forward...What you think?

I think the crowd at this game will be a bit smaller than we saw on Friday night. :)

adoptedbuckeye
11-10-2013, 09:20 AM

I think the Buckeyes come out on fire and don't let up. May the Lord have mercy on the other team and let's put up 70 points to get that confidence back up. There is no running up the score in playoffs, all's fair now.

TXfootballboi!
11-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Is gilmer d1 or d2 this year?

buckeyebob
11-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Is gilmer d1 or d2 this year?

Division 2 & hopefully next year too.

buckeyebob
11-10-2013, 11:50 AM
I think the crowd at this game will be a bit smaller than we saw on Friday night. :)

Any idea how many were there?

Aesculus gilmus
11-10-2013, 02:22 PM
Any idea how many were there?

Joe Hale said the estimate was 9,000.

KILGORE — Kevrin Justice rushed for 118 yards and scored three touchdowns, leading No. 3 Kilgore to a 34-29 comeback victory over top-ranked Gilmer on Friday night before a standing-room-only estimated crowd of 9,000 at R.E. St. John Memorial Stadium. - See more at: http://www.etfinalscore.com/ET-Football/189418/no-3-kilgore-takes-down-no-1-gilmer-3429#sthash.ncdDUgQu.dpuf

poisoned10
11-10-2013, 04:37 PM
It's never good to be the team to play Gilmer after a loss.

Gilmer will come out with a renewed focus and take out some frustration on the next team. Unfortunately for Mineola, that next team will be them. Gilmer will roll easily. In fact, Gilmer will have a cake walk into the 3rd round of the playoffs. Potential second round game would be the winner of Pittsburg and Wills Point. Then it gets very real, very quickly with Argyle sitting there for round 3.

buckeyebob
11-10-2013, 06:04 PM
I would be wililng to bet the Bux have now faced a reality...play sloppy & go home.

bearbear78
11-11-2013, 10:52 AM
I would be wililng to bet the Bux have now faced a reality...play sloppy & go home.
So , prior to Friday night you only thought and promised they were unbeatable? Now , they really are? After being beat......Argyle sends the bucs home.

adoptedbuckeye
11-11-2013, 10:58 AM
So , prior to Friday night you only thought and promised they were unbeatable? Now , they really are? After being beat......Argyle sends the bucs home.

I don't remember Gilmer promising to be unbeatable...they got away with sloppy playing several times and when a great team came along it caught up with them. If the mental mistakes get corrected we have a fighting chance but if not Argyle will absolutely send us home. First thing we have to do is beat Mineola and not just win the game but get back to doing things right and dominating.

waterboy
11-11-2013, 11:27 AM
I don't remember Gilmer promising to be unbeatable...they got away with sloppy playing several times and when a great team came along it caught up with them. If the mental mistakes get corrected we have a fighting chance but if not Argyle will absolutely send us home. First thing we have to do is beat Mineola and not just win the game but get back to doing things right and dominating.

Yep. I've said it over and over this year. The Buckeyes have played sloppy in at least 7 or 8 of their regular season games this year. It looked as though they may have had that corrected going into Friday's game with Kilgore, but it came back in that game, and bit 'em on the rear. If a team can make the mistakes Gilmer has made this year and still be 9-1, that says a lot about the talent level of this team. It's probably a good thing that the Buckeyes lost that game against Kilgore. I'm hoping it'll show our team how important it is to hang onto the ball. I think the Buckeyes will refocus now. If they don't, they will probably not meet the goal they set for themselves, and that is to come home with that SC trophy for Christmas.

buckeyebob
11-11-2013, 02:39 PM

Never said they were unbeatable...as a matter of fact, teh Buckeyes beat the Buckeyes Friday

hollywood
11-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Never said they were unbeatable...as a matter of fact, teh Buckeyes beat the Buckeyes Friday

I agree with this. After seeing both teams make mistakes that would shift the momentum the other way, Kilgore made the fewest. Shoulda coulda woulda, but if Kilgore had made the mistakes Gilmer did, result would be the other way. Kilgore was the better team Friday night. They made the fewest mistakes. Are they more talented than Gilmer, no.

Are these two teams the #1, #2, #3 teams in the state, time will tell. But that night, neither team played like it. It happens. Do I think these two teams have what it takes to win in Jerry World, absolutely!

Dawgs
11-11-2013, 03:55 PM
I agree with this. After seeing both teams make mistakes that would shift the momentum the other way, Kilgore made the fewest. Shoulda coulda woulda, but if Kilgore had made the mistakes Gilmer did, result would be the other way. Kilgore was the better team Friday night. They made the fewest mistakes. Are they more talented than Gilmer, no.

Are these two teams the #1, #2, #3 teams in the state, time will tell. But that night, neither team played like it. It happens. Do I think these two teams have what it takes to win in Jerry World, absolutely!

I agree 100% Hollywood. Both teams will have to show more than they did last Friday night. Great game, and an ELECTRIC atmosphere. Maybe the big game jitters got to both teams, but both played pretty sloppy. Definitely didn't look like 2 top 5 teams. I will say Gilmer passed the eye test. They have alot if good looking athletes. Walker is a BEAST. Not to sure why he lines up in the edge, and doesn't play in the middle of the field though? The play he made when he prevented a TD on the blocked field goal was IMO the play of the game as far as athleticism is concerned. Gilmer wins this one by as much as they want, but I don't see them getting past Argyle in the 3rd round if they continue with the turnovers.

Dawgs
11-11-2013, 03:56 PM

Elite teams don't beat themselves...

adoptedbuckeye
11-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Elite teams don't beat themselves...

And we aren't an elite team yet. We have the potential to be elite contenders but have a lot to improve on.

hollywood
11-11-2013, 04:21 PM
I agree 100% Hollywood. Both teams will have to show more than they did last Friday night. Great game, and an ELECTRIC atmosphere. Maybe the big game jitters got to both teams, but both played pretty sloppy. Definitely didn't look like 2 top 5 teams. I will say Gilmer passed the eye test. They have alot if good looking athletes. Walker is a BEAST. Not to sure why he lines up in the edge, and doesn't play in the middle of the field though? The play he made when he prevented a TD on the blocked field goal was IMO the play of the game as far as athleticism is concerned. Gilmer wins this one by as much as they want, but I don't see them getting past Argyle in the 3rd round if they continue with the turnovers.

Dawgs, I agree with this 100%. I guess the coach for Gilmer has a reason, but I expected Walker to be MLB with his size and athletism and be able to cause serious havoc. And his play that prevented the TD on the blocked FG... :eek:, wow, that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Dawgs
11-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Dawgs, I agree with this 100%. I guess the coach for Gilmer has a reason, but I expected Walker to be MLB with his size and athletism and be able to cause serious havoc. And his play that prevented the TD on the blocked FG... :eek:, wow, that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Me too, that was a heck of a play. Walker has that attitude on the field that it takes to be a BA defensive player. I can't wait to see him at the next level, so I can brag that he is from ETX, and I saw him play!:) I have seen on both sites where posters are saying they thought Gilmer, and Kilgore were matched as far as athleticism, but IMO it wasn't even close. Gilmer looked great! They have the best looking team I have seen in awhile. During pre-game warmups I thought to myself it wasn't going to be close. I guess thats why you play the game. Mineola wont be able to match up, nor will anybody else until Argyle IMO. I haven't seen Argyle, but judging from years past I think they will have the advantage in the trenches. I will say I don't think Gilmer will play a team in 3a with better skill postion athletes, but everyone knows the game is won in the trenches. After watching the Stanford Oregon game that really reminded of the kind of game you must play to beat Gilmer. Can anybody do it in Div II, we will know soon enough.

Aggie98
11-11-2013, 05:30 PM
Me too, that was a heck of a play. Walker has that attitude on the field that it takes to be a BA defensive player. I can't wait to see him at the next level, so I can brag that he is from ETX, and I saw him play!:) I have seen on both sites where posters are saying they thought Gilmer, and Kilgore were matched as far as athleticism, but IMO it wasn't even close. Gilmer looked great! They have the best looking team I have seen in awhile. During pre-game warmups I thought to myself it wasn't going to be close. I guess thats why you play the game. Mineola wont be able to match up, nor will anybody else until Argyle IMO. I haven't seen Argyle, but judging from years past I think they will have the advantage in the trenches. I will say I don't think Gilmer will play a team in 3a with better skill postion athletes, but everyone knows the game is won in the trenches. After watching the Stanford Oregon game that really reminded of the kind of game you must play to beat Gilmer. Can anybody do it in Div II, we will know soon enough.

Ha! If games were decided on how good teams look then Chapel Hill would win the Title this year.

hollywood
11-11-2013, 06:58 PM

Dang Dawgs, I think we were watching the same game. I came into this game very unbiased and with neutral vision. It didn't matter to me who won. I was pulling for Gilmer because of new friends from there I was with. I don't want this to come across tacky but Gilmer just didn't have a good night. They looked very good during warm up but it didn't translate into the game. Sloppy play on boths sides really.

There were two things I was most surprised with after watching this game. 1) Defensively, how undersized the Gilmer D-line was and why #20 was playing from the edge. 2) Why Gilmer doesn't throw down field more or let their QB option read/run. He's got wheels and can run.

waterboy
11-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Dang Dawgs, I think we were watching the same game. I came into this game very unbiased and with neutral vision. It didn't matter to me who won. I was pulling for Gilmer because of new friends from there I was with. I don't want this to come across tacky but Gilmer just didn't have a good night. They looked very good during warm up but it didn't translate into the game. Sloppy play on boths sides really.

There were two things I was most surprised with after watching this game. 1) Defensively, how undersized the Gilmer D-line was and why #20 was playing from the edge. 2) Why Gilmer doesn't throw down field more or let their QB option read/run. He's got wheels and can run.

Hollywood, I'm with you on your points. I've always thought that Walker would be better in the middle because he can cover so much ground, and can plug a hole in a hurry. The only major cog that was missing in that game was our nose tackle, Demarco Boyd (a sophomore who is a beast). When he is in there it forces the play outside, plus he is cat quick and gets in the backfield regularly. We really missed him on defense the other night. All Kilgore had to do with Walker playing outside is to run to where he wasn't. We do have a very good middle LB in McPhearson, but he didn't have any help up front with Demarco not playing.

I also wanted to mention that the team you saw playing the other night didn't run the same plays they had been running all year, effectively I might add. When we got behind in the 4th quarter, we scored too quickly. I think we should've pounded the rock and ran the clock down. If we would've done that, ran the clock down to the 2 minute mark, or so, and scored, that would've forced Kilgore out of their comfort zone and forced them to throw the ball. Our running game has been our bread and butter all year, and we didn't use it like I would've. We also didn't play our #9, Darrian Lewis on offense. He is a powerfull runner who is a LOAD to bring down. For the life of me, I don't know why he doesn't see more PT. We didn't stretch the field on the long play hardly at all, didn't run the skinny post at all, didn't get the ball across the middle at all, and overall ran a totally different offensive scheme from what we had all year.

I know I'm second guessing our coaching staff, but why change your offensive scheme completely this late in the season. I'm one of those that believes you dance with what brung you, if you know what I mean. Don't get me wrong. We have one of the best coaching staffs around, but I still sometimes feel they get away from what the team does best at times. The Kilgore game was a perfect example of that. Last year we ran the zone read more often, and that set up the passing game. This year we've been more of a smash mouth running team, who mixes in a lot of long pass plays. We didn't do any of that last Friday against Kilgore. Why? I have no idea.

hollywood
11-11-2013, 11:05 PM
Hollywood, I'm with you on your points. I've always thought that Walker would be better in the middle because he can cover so much ground, and can plug a hole in a hurry. The only major cog that was missing in that game was our nose tackle, Demarco Boyd (a sophomore who is a beast). When he is in there it forces the play outside, plus he is cat quick and gets in the backfield regularly. We really missed him on defense the other night. All Kilgore had to do with Walker playing outside is to run to where he wasn't. We do have a very good middle LB in McPhearson, but he didn't have any help up front with Demarco not playing.

I also wanted to mention that the team you saw playing the other night didn't run the same plays they had been running all year, effectively I might add. When we got behind in the 4th quarter, we scored too quickly. I think we should've pounded the rock and ran the clock down. If we would've done that, ran the clock down to the 2 minute mark, or so, and scored, that would've forced Kilgore out of their comfort zone and forced them to throw the ball. Our running game has been our bread and butter all year, and we didn't use it like I would've. We also didn't play our #9, Darrian Lewis on offense. He is a powerfull runner who is a LOAD to bring down. For the life of me, I don't know why he doesn't see more PT. We didn't stretch the field on the long play hardly at all, didn't run the skinny post at all, didn't get the ball across the middle at all, and overall ran a totally different offensive scheme from what we had all year.

I know I'm second guessing our coaching staff, but why change your offensive scheme completely this late in the season. I'm one of those that believes you dance with what brung you, if you know what I mean. Don't get me wrong. We have one of the best coaching staffs around, but I still sometimes feel they get away from what the team does best at times. The Kilgore game was a perfect example of that. Last year we ran the zone read more often, and that set up the passing game. This year we've been more of a smash mouth running team, who mixes in a lot of long pass plays. We didn't do any of that last Friday against Kilgore. Why? I have no idea.

Waterboy, after visiting with others, I got the same feeling. I'm not sure why, but I suppose the coaches had their reason and know the players better than anyone else. I was just a neutral fan looking from the outside in. I know the talent that Gilmer has and just was puzzled at some of the schemes/strategies we saw. I knew D. Boyd was suited up, but didn't see the field. Maybe the risk was still too high for him to see action. It didn't change the playoff seeding for Gilmer so I expect the coaches were mindful of him being able to be 100% for the playoffs being an important tactic. And I also fully anticipate Gilmer to make a LOT of noise in the playoffs.

I'll look forward to seeing Gilmer again... In AT&T stadium in Dec!