PDA

View Full Version : To Cuero folks, regarding Coach Middleton

TarponFanInNorthTexas
04-10-2003, 05:12 PM
Is it true he has applied for the position at 4A Los Fresnos? Anyone know anything about it?

Old Green
04-10-2003, 06:55 PM
I heard Los Fresnos, McAllen High, and Del Rio that he has applied for.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
04-10-2003, 08:34 PM
He just might get the job in Los Fresnos since it is apparently a job no one seems to want, or at least there isn't very much interest in it due to the huge politics in the school board. If coach Middleton (or is it Littleton???) is desperate enough for a job, and maintains interest, he'll get it. Which means he'll also be next door to Port Isabel and Monty Stumbaugh since Port Isabel and Los Fresnos are the only two towns on a stretch of highway.....Highway 100. The towns are about 14 miles apart from each other.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
04-15-2003, 08:47 PM
Here ya go, folks! Sorry about getting his name wrong. :D

Littleton takes the reins at Memorial

By Todd Mavreles

The Monitor

McALLEN — The McAllen Independent School Board voted 6-1 in favor of former Cuero coach Bill Littleton for the position of McAllen Memorial head football coach/athletic coordinator at Monday night’s school board meeting.

After a closed executive session that lasted more than an hour, Memorial principal Armando Saenz delivered his recommendation for Littleton.

“I’m thrilled to death,” Littleton said from his Cuero home when informed that he was approved for the position. “I’m looking forward to it.”

Although Littleton and McAllen Rowe defensive coordinator Brian Clancy were recommended by Memorial’s advisory committee, former Harlingen South coach Alex Leal was widely believed to be the frontrunner for the job. Monday’s announcement left the veteran Leal in the dark.

“I am disappointed to say the least,” Leal said. “I just felt like my credentials are above and beyond, but obviously they didn’t think so. Again, I don’t know what the committee was looking for, but obviously what I had to offer they didn’t want.”

According to Littleton, who led Class 3A Cuero to the state playoffs three of the last four years and compiled a 28-16 record, he came to a “mutual agreement” with the Cuero administration that he would resign from his position at the school effective June 30.

“I wouldn’t be the coach (at Cuero) next year; it was a mutual understanding,” Littleton said. “I had made the playoffs three out of the four years I was there. It was time for a change.”

Littleton hopes to reverse the fortunes of the Memorial football program. While sister schools McAllen Rowe and McAllen High have been postseason regulars in the last five years, the Mustangs have not been in the playoffs since 1995.

Littleton replaces Phillip Lopez, who compiled a 10-20 record at Memorial before resigning in February to take the head football coaching position at Rio Rancho High School in New Mexico.

“I’m not just a football coach; I’m there for all programs,” Littleton said. “I want all programs to succeed. From what I’ve found out about (Memorial) is that they’ve been successful in everything but football. I want to try to get football to be as successful as everything else.”