PDA

View Full Version : A pic of two former Sweetwater coaches on the Baylor sideline.

Sweetwater Red
11-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Got this off of a status that Coach Gonzalez was tagged in on Facebook. Thought it was pretty cool.
Briles is obviously one of the two but not many will recognize the coach he is shaking hands with in
the pic. It's W.T. Stapler who was the HC when we won the 1985 4A state championship.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg53/detroit8990/WTStapler.jpg

95mustang
11-08-2013, 11:05 AM
I recognized him as I played in Andrews while he was coaching there. He retired from Andrews, went to Carlsbad, then to Brownwood where he handed the coaching job over to Freeman.

vtskneb
11-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Truly awesome to see Coach Briles in that picture and moment. We would run through a brick wall for him in High School, the man inspires and makes you believe right along with him. He has the entire coaching community at his back right now. What a great picture. He is the opposite of all things college football blue blood and I love it!

mustang84
11-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Got this off of a status that Coach Gonzalez was tagged in on Facebook. Thought it was pretty cool.
Briles is obviously one of the two but not many will recognize the coach he is shaking hands with in
the pic. It's W.T. Stapler who was the HC when we won the 1985 4A state championship.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg53/detroit8990/WTStapler.jpg

Oh what memories I have with those two Great coaches!

Sweetwater Red
11-08-2013, 12:18 PM
I recognized him as I played in Andrews while he was coaching there. He retired from Andrews, went to Carlsbad, then to Brownwood where he handed the coaching job over to Freeman.

Yep, any idea how long he was at Andrews?

Razorback88
11-08-2013, 01:07 PM
Stapler was in Andrews from 1987-1993. Ironic his last game as Andrews coach he lost in the 1993 class 4A quarterfinals to Stephenville and Art Briles. Coach Stapler, coach Lebby, coach Cowart, coach Springston all coached with WT at Andrews. Lebby and Springston eventually had successful stints as Andrews HC and AD as well