PDA

View Full Version : Tony Dorsett

Roughneck93
11-06-2013, 10:09 PM
Diagnosed as having signs of CTE.

"It's painful, man, for my daughters to say they're scared of me." After a long pause, he tearfully reiterated, "It's painful."

"I've thought about crazy stuff, sort of like, 'Why do I need to continue going through this?'" he said. "I'm too smart of a person, I like to think, to take my life, but it's crossed my mind."

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9931754/former-nfl-stars-tony-dorsett-leonard-marshall-joe-delameilleure-show-indicators-cte-resulting-football-concussions

coach
11-07-2013, 08:20 AM
I dodnt know he had gotten arrested when he was younger.

Farmersfan
11-07-2013, 03:22 PM
It's sad to hear Tony say these things but just like a lot of NFL players from that ERA Dorsett didn't do a very good job handling his finances. Playing in the NFL has always been a high risk-high reward kind of career. I can't understand how people ever thought all that head on head contact wasn't going to create long term problems. And I really don't like the idea that they are coming out of the woodwork now trying to hold the NFL responsible for those effects. Perhaps they should have negotiated lifetime medical benefits back when they played rather than the huge number of zeros in their salaries.... Just sayin'

cougartino
11-07-2013, 03:37 PM
I agree Farmers. I posted this on Yahoo about 10 minutes ago.

I'm sorry but if anyone didn't know banging your head with others for 8-12 years could cause long term problems, then I suggest they had a head injury before they ever stepped on the field. Perhaps if most of these guys had not blown their much large sums for playing a game on cars, houses, women, dope, and child support payments, they wouldn't be in dire straights. Last I checked, no one put a gun to those guys and made them play football. These guys got college for free. They should have taken advantage. There are plenty other noteworthy professions they could have entered.

44INAROW
11-07-2013, 03:41 PM
And I really don't like the idea that they are coming out of the woodwork now trying to hold the NFL responsible for those effects. Perhaps they should have negotiated lifetime medical benefits back when they played rather than the huge number of zeros in their salaries.... Just sayin'
I am going to agree with you Farmer's Fan - I am sorry he's going through this but sometimes - it is what it is.. not exactly the same thing but kinda/sorta like the smoker with lung cancer trying to sue a cigarette/tobacco company.. -

YTBulldogs
11-07-2013, 03:44 PM
I am going to agree with you Farmer's Fan - I am sorry he's going through this but sometimes - it is what it is.. not exactly the same thing but kinda/sorta like the smoker with lung cancer trying to sue a cigarette/tobacco company.. -

:iagree:

cougartino
11-07-2013, 03:45 PM
ESPN's Mark Schlereth said this morning he thinks about what could happen to him in the future but doesn't blame anyone. He said knowing what he knows now, he'd do the same thing all over again because he wanted to chase his childhood dream. Mike Golic pretty much agreed.

Farmersfan
11-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Isn't this whole thing a symptom of the culture we now live in? Everybody is entitled and nobody is responsible!

44INAROW
11-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Isn't this whole thing a symptom of the culture we now live in? Everybody is entitled and nobody is responsible!
exactly - I have a client who was recently served with a civil lawsuit from a Motor Vehicle Accident that occurred on Nov 8th, 2011 (filed just days before SOL ran out) anyway - the other party was cited by police for running a stop light (I know, just because the police say she did it, doesn't necessarily make it so) After an investigation, my client's insurance carrier Denied the other vehicle driver's claims for medical and physical damage to the car but took care of my client's auto damages and medical expenses to the limit he carried.

At the scene of the accident - the other party was running around, cussing a blue streak... - then when the officer asked for her driver's license and auto insurance card.. she fell to the ground, in "pain" and called for the EMS. My client was shook up but didn't go to ER until afterwards, just to be safe. The other driver nor the vehicle she was driving (which wasn't registered to her) were insured. The other driver had no driver's license.. (no license, no insurance) My client was insured with liability and physical damage. The other driver is suing for "lost wages, mental anguish and medical expenses incurred and for the future"

In the police report, she is listed as "unemployed" (how do you have lost wages if you don't work?) from previous correspondence from the other driver's attorney, we've noticed that her medical bills were paid by MEDICAID. So she's not out any money from lost time off work and didn't have to pay any medical bills. I hope and pray my clients' carrier doesn't cave in a pay anything to the other driver to settle to avoid massive court expenses- but many times, they do because it's cheaper. I think there ought to be a law that if you don't have auto liability insurance, you can't benefit from someone else's policy.. I know that will never happen but it just infuriates me. The other driver thinks she is ENTITLED to $$.... another problem with the culture/society we live in now (oops I better get off my soap box) :hijacktd::foul:

cougartino
11-07-2013, 04:54 PM
exactly - I have a client who was recently served with a civil lawsuit from a Motor Vehicle Accident that occurred on Nov 8th, 2011 (filed just days before SOL ran out) anyway - the other party was cited by police for running a stop light (I know, just because the police say she did it, doesn't necessarily make it so) After an investigation, my client's insurance carrier Denied the other vehicle driver's claims for medical and physical damage to the car but took care of my client's auto damages and medical expenses to the limit he carried.

At the scene of the accident - the other party was running around, cussing a blue streak... - then when the officer asked for her driver's license and auto insurance card.. she fell to the ground, in "pain" and called for the EMS. My client was shook up but didn't go to ER until afterwards, just to be safe. The other driver nor the vehicle she was driving (which wasn't registered to her) were insured. The other driver had no driver's license.. (no license, no insurance) My client was insured with liability and physical damage. The other driver is suing for "lost wages, mental anguish and medical expenses incurred and for the future"

In the police report, she is listed as "unemployed" (how do you have lost wages if you don't work?) from previous correspondence from the other driver's attorney, we've noticed that her medical bills were paid by MEDICAID. So she's not out any money from lost time off work and didn't have to pay any medical bills. I hope and pray my clients' carrier doesn't cave in a pay anything to the other driver to settle to avoid massive court expenses- but many times, they do because it's cheaper. I think there ought to be a law that if you don't have auto liability insurance, you can't benefit from someone else's policy.. I know that will never happen but it just infuriates me. The other driver thinks she is ENTITLED to $$.... another problem with the culture/society we live in now (oops I better get off my soap box) :hijacktd::foul:

Sounds like my desk! In Louisiana, no insurance, no recovery. Like no fault, I don't ever see that happening in Texas. There is a loser pays law that was passed a few years ago but I don't see it enforced much unless the suit is blatanlty frivolous.

cougartino
11-07-2013, 05:05 PM
What gets me is that "Players before didn't know the long term effects of banging their heads." Really? There was reason they went to helmets. And there was a reason momma said no jumping off jungle gyms, jumping over fences, and jumping off river banks, especially near rocks. They understood you could bust your head wide open. I did need the NFL or any entity to provide a report on this subject. It's plain commom sense.

1971Coogs
11-07-2013, 05:07 PM

hmm...imagine that. And when no-one is held accountable for lying to the public as an elected official the younger generation thinks that is the norm

cougartino
11-07-2013, 05:21 PM
hmm...imagine that. And when no-one is held accountable for lying to the public as an elected official the younger generation thinks that is the norm

Nixon, Clinton, etc. :taunt:

1971Coogs
11-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Nixon, Clinton, etc. :taunt:exactly !! and it has gotten progressively worse.
the only thing...Nixon got impeached because he lied about not knowing about a break in at the Watergate Hotel and .....well I better stop there :wave:

See you tomorrow night !! I look forward to seeing the '03 boyz