PDA

View Full Version : Aggies don't want to play Longhorns story

Scoop27
11-06-2013, 06:46 PM
http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2013/11/no-thanks-aggies-say-facing-longhorns-in-regular-season-no-longer-an-option/?cmpid=hpbn#15438101=0&15450103=0

Weebe
11-06-2013, 07:36 PM
I just don't think A&M feels it has anything to gain by playing Texas.

Txbroadcaster
11-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Neither benefit at this point in time...which is exactly what UT was saying two years ago and everyone claimed they were scared or mad

Weebe
11-06-2013, 08:01 PM
Texas could absolutely benefit from beating A&M right now(maybe not at the time that A&M joined the SEC).

The Big XII is perceived to be a weaker conference. A win over A&M would certainly counter that argument.

Txbroadcaster
11-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Texas could absolutely benefit from beating A&M right now(maybe not at the time that A&M joined the SEC).

The Big XII is perceived to be a weaker conference. A win over A&M would certainly counter that argument.

And that helps how? Why play a in state team in a different conference that you might lose to? Just like A&M the negative far out weighs the positive

Weebe
11-06-2013, 08:12 PM
Difference being that A&M gains little by winning and loses a lot by losing.

Texas gains a lot by winning and loses almost nothing by losing.

The SEC being a superior conference is a big advantage for A&M. Texas could eliminate that by winning a head to head.

Aesculus gilmus
11-06-2013, 08:16 PM
When I was a kid, A&M versus LSU was considered a rivalry game. They played it early in the year before conference play started. I remember listening to it on the radio. It always seemed to be on a Saturday night because it was so early in the season. There weren't all these sports channels so they didn't move as many games to daytime in September back then.

These two schools are more natural rivals, both being land-grant universities.

OTOH, Texas and Texas A&M might as well be on different planets. The cultural differences are that great. I ALWAYS understood why the Aggies wanted to be in that Deep South-based conference. It fits their culture. It's not a fit for people in Austin.

Txbroadcaster
11-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Difference being that A&M gains little by winning and loses a lot by losing.

Texas gains a lot by winning and loses almost nothing by losing.

The SEC being a superior conference is a big advantage for A&M. Texas could eliminate that by winning a head to head.

ok lets tap the brake lol..Texas would not gain ALOT by beating them if A&M gains a little...both teams would gain the same..but they would lose more in a loss

Deuce
11-06-2013, 08:29 PM
I think it would be a huge benefit for whichever team won as far as recruiting!

Old Tiger
11-06-2013, 08:34 PM
Neither benefit at this point in time...which is exactly what UT was saying two years ago and everyone claimed they were scared or mad

Truth but it's okay now that the aggies realize b

NastySlot
11-06-2013, 08:36 PM
When I was a kid, A&M versus LSU was considered a rivalry game. They played it early in the year before conference play started. I remember listening to it on the radio. It always seemed to be on a Saturday night because it was so early in the season. There weren't all these sports channels so they didn't move as many games to daytime in September back then.

These two schools are more natural rivals, both being land-grant universities.

OTOH, Texas and Texas A&M might as well be on different planets. The cultural differences are that great. I ALWAYS understood why the Aggies wanted to be in that Deep South-based conference. It fits their culture. It's not a fit for people in Austin.

not sure how old you are but they were probably on Saturday nights because from 1922-1986 anytime the two played they played in baton rouge with the exception of two games one in Dallas the other in the Orange bowl. From 1960-975 they played 15 in a row in BR. Amazing the series is only 28-20-3 in favor of the tigers.

Old Tiger
11-06-2013, 08:38 PM
I think it would be a huge benefit for whichever team won as far as recruiting!texas will get kids regardless believe it or not they are the flagship school in the state

Weebe
11-06-2013, 09:15 PM
ok lets tap the brake lol..Texas would not gain ALOT by beating them if A&M gains a little...

Of course not, that wouldn't be possible. Both teams are obviously on equal footing right now.

Scoop27
11-06-2013, 09:23 PM
The women's basketball teams are actually playing each other in December which is hard to believe. Maybe the only sport this is happening

Old Tiger
11-06-2013, 09:25 PM
The women's basketball teams are actually playing each other in December which is hard to believe. Maybe the only sport this is happening

A sport no one cares about....

Quidditch > womens basketball

Weebe
11-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Scoop cares about a lot of things no one else cares about.

coach
11-07-2013, 08:12 AM
A sport no one cares about....

Quidditch > womens basketball

womens basketball is a sport?

coach
11-07-2013, 08:19 AM
Here is my opinion on all of this. Who gives a **** if anyone gains anything? Its a damn rivalry game. One of the best I might add. Texas got mad and didnt ant to play A&M bc they left the conference. And now that ATM has a few wins under thei belt they think they are big and bad ans say they dont need to play them. Thats a bunch of hogwash. The state of Texas needs this game and for anyone to say neither team need sit or wahtever excuse they say is hogwash. For Deloss to act like he did is embarrassing and now that they get that washed up dusty old fart out of there and to get someone with common sense to run things, Atm's head hanchos want to act like little brats and doesnt want to play them. So stupid. Now we get to enjoy Texas vs the Horney toads or vs the Raider Rash. Yay

Aesculus gilmus
11-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Who says you have to watch Texas? Most years A&M vs LSU will be a better game to watch on Thanksgiving. I am glad to see the Aggies have quickly become acculturated to their new home as part of the "Southeastern United States" rather than the state of Texas. It is their decision. I for one respect it and agree with it.

hollywood
11-07-2013, 09:28 AM
Who says you have to watch Texas? Most years A&M vs LSU will be a better game to watch on Thanksgiving. I am glad to see the Aggies have quickly become acculturated to their new home as part of the "Southeastern United States" rather than the state of Texas. It is their decision. I for one respect it and agree with it.

You think so?

Eagle11
11-07-2013, 09:47 AM
You think so?

Ville I think we agree on this.

defense51
11-07-2013, 10:12 AM
And that helps how? Why play a in state team in a different conference that you might lose to? Just like A&M the negative far out weighs the positive

If you beat a higher ranked team it increases your bcs ranking for one.

Old Tiger
11-07-2013, 10:13 AM
If you beat a higher ranked team it increases your bcs ranking for one.

Texas plays 2 teams currently ranked higher than A&M on their remaining schedule. Total of 3 teams ranked higher. Dumb point.

ahs_indian_fan
11-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Ville I think we agree on this.

I find it comical that when Texas didn't want to play a couple years ago it was because they were scared ... now A&M is making a good, sound decision because it really benefits neither team. Personally, they both need to put their stuff back in their pants and save the rest of us the agony of hearing how the great they are and how the other is scared to play them.

coach
11-07-2013, 10:15 AM
I find it comical that when Texas didn't want to play a couple years ago it was because they were scared ... now A&M is making a good, sound decision because it really benefits neither team. Personally, they both need to put their stuff back in their pants and save the rest of us the agony of hearing how the great they are and how the other is scared to play them.

Thats esactly what i was saying. So stupid for both schools.

Old Tiger
11-07-2013, 10:19 AM

Texas didn't want to play and still doesn't because A&M made a decision to leave the state of Texas for a conference. Plain and simple. I don't know why this article even came up, maybe because a new AD was named for Texas, but the fact remains the same that Texas OOC schedule is booked with teams like USC, Ohio State, Notre Dame till 2020.

Emerson1
11-07-2013, 10:23 AM
I find it comical that when Texas didn't want to play a couple years ago it was because they were scared
and how the other is scared to play them.

Wait, what?

Rabid Cougar
11-07-2013, 10:27 AM
the fact remains the same that Texas OOC schedule is booked with teams like USC, Ohio State, Notre Dame till 2020.

And NORTH TEXAS! GMG!

Emerson1
11-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Both schools benefit from the next match up being in a BCS or normal bowl game. When that happens more than likely both teams are on equal footing. Texas will be back to normal and A&M will have come down from JFF. A&M doesn't want to schedule it 3 years out because everyone there knows the chances of them being this good again are slim. If they could turn back time and play last year and this year they would in a heart beat.

Old Tiger
11-07-2013, 10:32 AM
And NORTH TEXAS! GMG!

Keep scheduling FCS bro!

Louisiana Monroe
Lamar
UTSA

Using something that isn't set in stone to back out too

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/22333157/texas-am-drops-oregon-and-usc-from-future-schedules

New Taiton
11-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Texas didn't want to play and still doesn't because A&M made a decision to leave the state of Texas for a conference. Plain and simple. I don't know why this article even came up, maybe because a new AD was named for Texas, but the fact remains the same that Texas OOC schedule is booked with teams like USC, Ohio State, Notre Dame till 2020.

Correct. College Station has relocated to western Louisiana.

The only school to benefit from a game is Texas, as of today. Of course, that could change, but that is fact.

There is no beneficial reason for A&M to play Texas.

New Taiton
11-07-2013, 10:34 AM
A&M doesn't want to schedule it 3 years out because everyone there knows the chances of them being this good again are slim. If they could turn back time and play last year and this year they would in a heart beat.

Correct. Recruiting national 4* and 5* players is not conducive to being good.

Once JM leaves College Station on Saturday, the Texas Aggies will no longer be competitive.

Old Tiger
11-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Correct. College Station has relocated to western Louisiana.

The only school to benefit from a game is Texas, as of today. Of course, that could change, but that is fact.

There is no beneficial reason for A&M to play Texas.And vice versa

Old Tiger
11-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Correct. Recruiting national 4* and 5* players is not conducive to being good.

Once JM leaves College Station on Saturday, the Texas Aggies will no longer be competitive.
Manziel and Evans are 65-80% of your offense

Macarthur
11-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Both schools benefit from the next match up being in a BCS or normal bowl game. When that happens more than likely both teams are on equal footing. Texas will be back to normal and A&M will have come down from JFF. A&M doesn't want to schedule it 3 years out because everyone there knows the chances of them being this good again are slim. If they could turn back time and play last year and this year they would in a heart beat.

I think this is a perfect illustration of why UT is disliked by many and the word arrogance is used. There is the assumption and it's a forgone conclusion that UT will be superior and this is just a blip on the screen because of JFF. When you look at the bigger picture, especially since scholarship restrictions, the a&m and UT series has been really close to. 500.

Old Tiger
11-07-2013, 10:43 AM
I think this is a perfect illustration of why UT is disliked by many and the word arrogance is used. There is the assumption and it's a forgone conclusion that UT will be superior and this is just a blip on the screen because of JFF. When you look at the bigger picture, especially since scholarship restrictions, the a&m and UT series has been really close to. 500.

Arrogance is the aggies winning the cotton bowl and finishing 3rd in their own division and claiming to be the best team ever. Hell they are on track to finish 4th in their division this year.

defense51
11-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Texas plays 2 teams currently ranked higher than A&M on their remaining schedule. Total of 3 teams ranked higher. Dumb point.

And if they were to beat another higher ranked team, it would increase their bcs ranking even more! :vrycnfsd:

Emerson1
11-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Texas v. A&M in the NC would probably be the highest rated game of all time (aren't all of A&M's these days?). So I say both teams just wait.

Old Tiger
11-07-2013, 10:52 AM
And if they were to beat another higher ranked team, it would increase their bcs ranking even more! :vrycnfsd:

Texas moves up pretty quick in polls once they start beating ranked teams.

defense51
11-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Texas moves up pretty quick in polls once they start beating ranked teams.

My point exactly! :clap:

Aesculus gilmus
11-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Texas v. A&M in the NC would probably be the highest rated game of all time (aren't all of A&M's these days?). So I say both teams just wait.

Recent history would tend to disprove this. Texans and also Southerners in general tend to overestimate how much interest the rest of the country has in them at this point.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/01/espns-alabama-lsu-draws-lowest-ever-bcs-title-rating/1#.Unu3tBYcx1s

Old Tiger
11-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Recent history would tend to disprove this. Texans and also Southerners in general tend to overestimate how much interest the rest of the country has in them at this point.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/01/espns-alabama-lsu-draws-lowest-ever-bcs-title-rating/1#.Unu3tBYcx1s

How about the ratings on the game of the century rematch in the MNC between LSU/Bama.....was a dud in the ratings. I think I saw where it was the lowest rated BCS MNC game ever.

Bull Butter
11-07-2013, 11:03 AM

Texas A&M's conference schedule is booked with teams like Alabama, LSU, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida and Auburn till 2020

Old Tiger
11-07-2013, 11:06 AM
Texas A&M's conference schedule is booked with teams like Alabama, LSU, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida and Auburn till 2020

Is it? Because that conference can have teams not play for a few years. SEC people do a masterful job of creating schedules based on future projections of teams depth and setting them up for the path.

2014 A&M schedule is lame....

only 3 good games

Auburn
LSU
South Carolina, who knows how good they will even be.
Missouri

Texas in 2014 has

UCLA
BYU - Who is quietly sitting at 6-2
Oklahoma
Baylor - who will be loaded again
Oklahoma State
Tech - who returns a lot

Hell North Texas could win their conference, Kansas State will be back

caleb_mccaig
11-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Keep scheduling FCS bro!

Louisiana Monroe
Lamar
UTSA

Using something that isn't set in stone to back out too

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/22333157/texas-am-drops-oregon-and-usc-from-future-schedules

Jesus, and USC blows bigtime. They haven't won anything since that year that apparently no one won the BCS according to the NCAA.

Old Tiger
11-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Jesus, and USC blows bigtime. They haven't won anything since that year that apparently no one won the BCS according to the NCAA.

USC is still USC man. They made a crap hire with Kiffin and the sanctions hurt them. 6-3 this year and Orgeron is doing a good job of coaching them up.

Care not to address the link I posted?

Emerson1
11-07-2013, 11:46 AM

No one watched because it was a farce that those two teams were playing again. That matchup had just happened a couple months earlier. A lot of people made it a point not to watch on purpose. Texas v. Alabama had a great rating and who knows how many people tuned out once Colt got hurt and figured it was over.

Macarthur
11-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Is it? Because that conference can have teams not play for a few years. SEC people do a masterful job of creating schedules based on future projections of teams depth and setting them up for the path.

only 3 good games

Auburn
LSU
Missouri

Texas in 2014 has

UCLA
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Tech - who returns a lot

Lol. You forgot Alabama. It's funny how you as so sure of byu and tech yet question if South Carolina will be any good.

You are completely blinded by you bias.

Macarthur
11-07-2013, 12:17 PM

In fact, I went back and looked at some win totals since 1973 when the scholarships restrictions kicked in

Up to the brown era in Austin, ut had won 197 games and A&M had won 203. So basically from 73-98, A&M won more games by a pretty good margin.

Weebe
11-07-2013, 12:25 PM

only 3 good games

Auburn
LSU
Missouri

Texas in 2014 has

UCLA
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Tech - who returns a lot

You are an idiot.

There are currently 4 teams in the top 10 that are on A&M's schedule for next year and South Carloina is ranked around 15. It may well be considered the toughest schedule in the nation.

Including Tech as a good team is a joke. They like Baylor have played no one and will likely have 4-5 losses by the end of the year. UCLA loses their best player and BYU has yet to beat a good team.

New Taiton
11-07-2013, 12:31 PM
Texas v. Alabama had a great rating and who knows how many people tuned out once Colt got hurt and figured it was over.

Generally speaking, the BCS national championship game garners pretty good ratings, regardless of the teams playing.

New Taiton
11-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Texas in 2014 has

UCLA
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Tech - who returns a lot

Don't forget the conference upgrades of TCU and West Virginia.

Texas plays those two juggernauts next year as well.

coach
11-07-2013, 02:08 PM

only 3 good games

Auburn
LSU
Missouri

Texas in 2014 has

UCLA
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Tech - who returns a lot

I guess the Alabama and ATM gane is canceled next year?

coach
11-07-2013, 02:09 PM
So next year you say who knows how good south carolina will be but BYU will be awesome? lol

Weebe
11-07-2013, 03:48 PM
So next year you say who knows how good south carolina will be but BYU will be awesome? lol

And UCLA who loses Hundley and has beat a bunch of bad teams.

gtownfan
11-07-2013, 04:10 PM
I think one of the best arguments for why UT and A&M should play each year is this thread!

Txbroadcaster
11-07-2013, 04:13 PM
And UCLA who loses Hundley and has beat a bunch of bad teams.

not sure he leaves 100%