PDA

View Full Version : Yoakum ISD Bond passes

YTBulldogs
11-05-2013, 11:57 PM
$50M Yoakum school bond passes, 441-196.

YTBulldogs
11-05-2013, 11:58 PM
Cuero's passes too. Hallettsville fails.

Anyone know Gonzales outcome?

Roughneck93
11-06-2013, 12:02 AM
Katy's bond fails.

Would have built a $69.5 million stadium.

YTBulldogs
11-06-2013, 12:06 AM
Katy's bond fails.

Yeah, I can see that failing. Most of ours will be for JH school upgrades, a new gym. But, I hope they have some change for football field turf, scoreboard and new girl's softball complex. If not, still needed upgrades to system and they prevented oil money going to Austin for Podunk High (robinhhood beneficiary) getting free upgrades on our dime.

Gontex
11-06-2013, 02:04 AM
Cuero's passes too. Hallettsville fails.

Anyone know Gonzales outcome?

Inquirer facebook page just announced that both bond issues had "apparently" passed. Must have been a huge turnout, because they are still counting mail-in ballots. Vote at the polls today was 303-129 for. I can't believe there were that many people that would rather the school district send that money to the state instead of keeping it in town to use for our kids. I don't think a lot of people understand the Robin Hood concept that is now the rule of the state. Tax rate, even with passage of the bond issue would still be among the lowest in the area.

Aesculus gilmus
11-06-2013, 06:38 AM
Inquirer facebook page just announced that both bond issues had "apparently" passed. Must have been a huge turnout, because they are still counting mail-in ballots. Vote at the polls today was 303-129 for. I can't believe there were that many people that would rather the school district send that money to the state instead of keeping it in town to use for our kids. I don't think a lot of people understand the Robin Hood concept that is now the rule of the state. Tax rate, even with passage of the bond issue would still be among the lowest in the area.

It's probably not that they don't understand. It's that they don't know. This is called willful ignorance. The current system of school financing has been in place for 20 years and the court case that led up to its passage began in 1984.

From Wikipedia:
In 1984, the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund filed suit against state Commissioner of Education William Kirby on behalf of the Edgewood Independent School District in San Antonio, citing discrimination against students in poor school districts. The plaintiffs charged that the state's methods of funding public schools violated the Texas state constitution, which required the state to provide an efficient public school system.
School finance lawsuits must take place in state court, since the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 1973 that education is not a fundamental right protected by the U.S. Constitution (San Antonio v. Rodriguez). The case, Edgewood Independent School District v. Kirby, eventually went to the Texas Supreme Court, which unanimously sided with Edgewood.
Passage[edit]

Passage came in 1993, after the Texas Supreme Court threw out two attempts by the Texas Legislature to write a constitutional school-finance system. The Legislature finally passed a funding plan that was accepted by the Court, in 1993.

Gontex
11-06-2013, 07:33 AM
Gonzales Bond Issue passed with about a 3-1 margin. Good for the local school district.

Old Green
11-06-2013, 08:52 AM
Cuero passed the $76 million bond by a count of 392 - 280

buff4ever
11-06-2013, 09:26 AM
$50M Yoakum school bond passes, 441-196.

Congrats, it is good for you guys to get to celebrate something this week.

:tongue:

YTBulldogs
11-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Congrats, it is good for you guys to get to celebrate something this week.

:tongue:

Thanks buff. Yes, we are very pleased it passed.

Scoop27
11-06-2013, 11:36 AM
http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2013/nov/05/yoakum_bond_sl_110613_224193/?news&local-news

SintonFan_inAustin
11-06-2013, 01:47 PM
Thanks buff. Yes, we are very pleased it passed.Bulldog stadium was a nice stadium, so is it for the field and stadium?

YTBulldogs
11-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Bulldog stadium was a nice stadium, so is it for the field and stadium?

niether. It's for our JH upgrades and a new gym. Other school location upgrades. Long overdue.

hookandladder
11-06-2013, 03:59 PM
La Grange school bond failed two times in a roll , even after listening to the voters against the bond and changed bond to meet their request. Still same results , La Grange people like to put band aids on everything. Glad to see some communities want better for their kids.

bd62
11-06-2013, 06:23 PM
La Grange school bond failed two times in a roll , even after listening to the voters against the bond and changed bond to meet their request. Still same results , La Grange people like to put band aids on everything. Glad to see some communities want better for their kids.

You have a great Baseball Complex but Football Visitor side has a
lot to be desired. Hear a lot from football coaches on visitors locker rooms

Aesculus gilmus
11-06-2013, 06:33 PM

That is surprising to me. I thought La Grange was benefitting from the same oil boom Cuero and Yoakum are riding high on.

Gilmer voted overwhelmingly against its bond proposals yesterday, but the GISD is nowhere near the Eagle Ford Shale.

And I am pretty sure once they repackage it and present it to the voters again here in a year or two, Gilmer ISD voters will reject it again, probably by bigger margins than yesterday and shouting "What part of 'no' don't you understand?!" as they cast their ballots.

hookandladder
11-06-2013, 10:06 PM
You have a great Baseball Complex but Football Visitor side has a
lot to be desired. Hear a lot from football coaches on visitors locker rooms

The new Baseball and Softball fields were built with school money that was on hand, when our old Ex. tight wad Super. retired our new Super came in and first thing he did was build us are own fields. Until then LGISD did not own their own baseball or softball field , the fields were built with money that the school had in the bank. We are now in the process of using most all of the leftover money to build a new middle school right next to the high school, what a joke with both campus right next to each other and all students will use the same cafeteria. LG as tight as they come, pretty bad.

buckeyebob
11-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I can see that failing. Most of ours will be for JH school upgrades, a new gym. But, I hope they have some change for football field turf, scoreboard and new girl's softball complex. If not, still needed upgrades to system and they prevented oil money going to Austin for Podunk High (robinhhood beneficiary) getting free upgrades on our dime.

Send it to us...we need it bad...we will respct you in the morning & we can be very descreet

Blue42
11-07-2013, 01:04 AM
The proposal also includes new schools, a gym and band hall and expanded seating in Gobbler Stadium, where artificial turf was recently installed, and an 800-seat performing arts center . Getting up town in down town Cuero.

Old Tiger
11-07-2013, 01:12 AM
Katy's bond fails.

They said there were 3 academic centers tied into that one.

Old Tiger
11-07-2013, 01:13 AM

Was the money for athletics or academics? If for athletics I don't see how it betters their kid.

hookandladder
11-07-2013, 07:02 AM
Was the money for athletics or academics? If for athletics I don't see how it betters their kid.

The money was for new school buildings and small amount for upgrade at football field, the second bond after getting imput from the voters who voted against the first bond was for new schools only and it failed by the same margin. Yes , it was all for the kids academics wise. It is all about money out of your pocket here and the sad thing about the bond failing is the majority of the no votes came from Senior citizens whose taxes are frozen, Thanks to our old Super..

Old Tiger
11-07-2013, 07:32 AM
The money was for new school buildings and small amount for upgrade at football field, the second bond after getting imput from the voters who voted against the first bond was for new schools only and it failed by the same margin. Yes , it was all for the kids academics wise. It is all about money out of your pocket here and the sad thing about the bond failing is the majority of the no votes came from Senior citizens whose taxes are frozen, Thanks to our old Super..Shameful, old selfish money is what holds this country back. They want to receive all the benefits because "they built this country" but they don't want to help out younger generations who are going to have to pay for their screw ups.