PDA

View Full Version : NFL Bullying Fiasco

Old Tiger
11-05-2013, 08:37 AM
What's your opinion on it? I will post mine later once I wake up and get to work.

coach
11-05-2013, 08:44 AM
I first thought it was dumb and Martin was being a soft you know what, but then the voice mail came out. There is one thing to make someone pay for food, tape them to a goal post, or embarrass them in the cafeteria, but to call them the names he did and threatened to kil him and slap his momma? I mean seriously? Why? I don't understand. Incongnito must have some internal issues. I hope he gets cut and never plays again. With that being said, Martin shouldnt have left like he did. He should have gone straight to the coach, or even his position coach. He should have stood up for himself. I teach at a middle school and the second a bully gets confronted they shut down.

adoptedbuckeye
11-05-2013, 08:48 AM
I first thought it was dumb and Martin was being a soft you know what, but then the voice mail came out. There is one thing to make someone pay for food, tape them to a goal post, or embarrass them in the cafeteria, but to call them the names he did and threatened to kil him and slap his momma? I mean seriously? Why? I don't understand. Incongnito must have some internal issues. I hope he gets cut and never plays again. With that being said, Martin shouldnt have left like he did. He should have gone straight to the coach, or even his position coach. He should have stood up for himself. I teach at a middle school and the second a bully gets confronted they shut down.

That's what concerns me is why did he leave? Did he initially go to the coaches and they told him to keep quiet? If the NFL finds out someone higher up knew about all this then that could be bad. They need to make an example out of Incognito and show the rest of the league, colleges, high schoolers that this is completely intolerable. If they let him off easy it sets an example for the rest of the nation that we are tolerable of hate crimes. Not a good situation at all.

Farmersfan
11-05-2013, 09:03 AM
I'm betting it will come out that he did report it and was told to "man-up" or "stop being a wuss" or some other nonsense. I can't really say what I would do because I'm not in that position but I can't imagine I would simply walk away from a NFL career because of a bully. From my experience the best way to address a bully is to become the bully.

pancho villa
11-05-2013, 09:08 AM
I'm betting it will come out that he did report it and was told to "man-up" or "stop being a wuss" or some other nonsense. I can't really say what I would do because I'm not in that position but I can't imagine I would simply walk away from a NFL career because of a bully. From my experience the best way to address a bully is to become the bully.

Whatever

Celina8
11-05-2013, 10:05 AM
From what I read and heard on the NFL network , he threatened to do harm to Martin and kill his mother. This in my opinion no longer becomes an NFL issue but a criminal issue that has to be investigated by the Local Authorities. What the NFL needs to investigate is what the Dolphines new and how that information was handled.

Bullaholic
11-05-2013, 10:28 AM
Such behavior cannot be condoned, but I believe the old adage---"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names can never hurt me" is still valid among adults.

Txbroadcaster
11-05-2013, 10:30 AM
Such behavior cannot be condoned, but I believe the old adage---"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names can never hurt me" is still valid among adults.

To a point I agree...but the stuff being said on this and the pure amount of time it was being said IMO goes past a breaking point

JJWalker
11-05-2013, 10:44 AM
We have bred and raised a generation of sheeple. I was taught to say things like "No", to refuse to do things, and to give/take a punch when necessary. Incognito went too far, but a simple F-off from Martin would have solved this problem.

The world is full of Incognitos.

And ... I am not blaming the victim here because I do not see any victims.

Bullaholic
11-05-2013, 10:46 AM
To a point I agree...but the stuff being said on this and the pure amount of time it was being said IMO goes past a breaking point

Some people are more sensitive than others, TXB, and responsible persons should be mindful of another person's sensibilities and feelings at all times. However, in this instance, this is a grown man who certainly cannot be regarded as overly vulnerable to a hazing ritual that has gone on since the start of the NFL. These are words, admittedly over the line, employed by some ignorant cretin and nothing more. However, I agree any threat which may be potentially harmful to another person and/or their families must be investigated under any circumstances and dealt with accordingly.

adoptedbuckeye
11-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Some people are more sensitive than others, TXB, and responsible persons should be mindful of another person's sensibilities and feelings at all times. However, in this instance, this is a grown man who certainly cannot be regarded as overly vulnerable to a hazing ritual that has gone on since the start of the NFL. These are words, admittedly over the line, employed by some ignorant cretin and nothing more. However, I agree any threat which may be potentially harmful to another person and/or their families must be investigated under any circumstances and dealt with accordingly.

That's why I think they need to hit it hard and swiftly. Just like they came down on Big Ben even though he was never convicted, the NFL has to make a statement with their actions.

venomous tat2
11-05-2013, 04:34 PM

Not when you threaten to kill Momma, his a$$ is lucky to be alive.

Old Tiger
11-05-2013, 04:45 PM
What if Martin was instigating it as well?

Bullaholic
11-05-2013, 05:00 PM
Not when you threaten to kill Momma, his a$$ is lucky to be alive.

By today's standards, that would be considered a threat, but we all know what you meant, tat. It is actual "intent" that matters, and that is what investigations are supposed to get at and turn up.

Old Tiger
11-05-2013, 05:01 PM
By today's standards, that would be considered a threat, but we all know what you meant, tat. It is actual "intent" that matters, and that is what investigations are supposed to get at and turn up.
IMO there is a reason team mates didn't stick up for him, that will likely come out.

cougartino
11-05-2013, 05:17 PM
I probably work with some Incognitos but I'll never know it because they know I'm crazy enough to something about that foolishness, so they don't bother trying.

Macarthur
11-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Hazing is one thing but what Incognito has done has gone way beyond. The guy is unstable and has a long history of bad behavior including criminal. Hes a nut.

slpybear the bullfan
11-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Follow the money... when the detaiils on the $30K meal tab picked up by the rookie and the $15K trip to Vegas (that johnson picked up) come out, you can bet that everything will be scrutinized much further.

IMHO, Incognito crossed the line. A little rite-of-passage hazing is fine. Extorting money and harrassing someone? Not allowed in other workplaces, why there?

Old Tiger
11-05-2013, 05:38 PM
Interesting that a "racist" has support of prominent black players on the Dolphins. Cooper was scrutinized by his team mates in Philly for what he said at that concert.

Macarthur
11-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Interesting that a "racist" has support of prominent black players on the Dolphins. Cooper was scrutinized by his team mates in Philly for what he said at that concert.

I do find that interesting, as well.

Old Tiger
11-05-2013, 06:19 PM
The absolute worst thing a person can do is watch ESPN to formulate an opinion.

Txbroadcaster
11-05-2013, 06:27 PM

I think your reaching as your trying to act like this is not a big deal .but I also think because it was considered in the "locker room culture" that the veterans are going to defend each other and support each other

Roughneck93
11-05-2013, 08:04 PM
This entire story is unbelievable.

Here's something crazy too...

The program for the Dolphins/Bengals game last Thursday had a Halloween theme. In it, Incognito was asked who on the team was the easiest to scare...

http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/richie-incognito-easiest-to-scare-jonathan-martin-650x866.jpg

D'Highlander
11-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Miami Dolphins coaches reportedly told suspended lineman Richie Incognito to "toughen up" teammate Johnathan Martin after the latter player missed part of the team's offseason workout program... :eek::1popcorn:

Macarthur
11-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Miami Dolphins coaches reportedly told suspended lineman Richie Incognito to "toughen up" teammate Johnathan Martin after the latter player missed part of the team's offseason workout program... :eek::1popcorn:

Oh dear. This is going to get ugly.

Bullaholic
11-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Oh dear. This is going to get ugly.

Yep--may go the way of the Saints "hurt people" scandal.

Sweetwater Red
11-06-2013, 10:37 AM

And there may be the other shoe dropping TxB. :thinking:

Sweetwater Red
11-06-2013, 11:01 AM
The absolute worst thing a person can do is watch ESPN to formulate an opinion.

Yep, that's what Twitter is for.

Farmersfan
11-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Anyone see the interview with Incognito where he was talking about how Tannehill was EXPECTED to buy the linemen Jet skis? I think he stole a credit card and used it to purchase the Jet Skis and said Tannehill "OWES" them. I was amazed at his attitude. The interviewer pointed out that normally it's the QBs and RBs who CHOSE to buy things for their linemen and not the linemen forcing them to buy things. Incognito responded by saying that the linemen deserve it because they protect his butt..... This guy is a problem!

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/richie_incognito_talked_about_stealing_tannehills_ cc_buying_jet_skies/14975791

buff4ever
11-06-2013, 02:38 PM
do they protect him though?

Macarthur
11-06-2013, 03:13 PM
do they protect him though?

Yes, but they are compensated for that.

Old Tiger
11-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Came across the a video with some Hall of Famers and current players talking about hazing and stuff. A lot of them mentioned forcing rookies to by them things. One mentioned putting a guy out in the snow taped to a chair in nothing but a jock strap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D_olc2Pp9Y

In the video McNabb says the purchasing of things has gotten out of hand these days. My guess is overtime the prices grew on the gifts and etc.

1st and goal
11-06-2013, 03:28 PM

Interesting that Incognito has been let go or pushed out from other teams....

buff4ever
11-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Yes, but they are compensated for that.

I agree with what you are saying, but my point was a sarcastic one, in that isn't Tannehill the most sacked qb in the league. Seems like I heard that once this year already. I am not sure.

Macarthur
11-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Oh, sorry. :) my sarcasm meter is broken today!

caleb_mccaig
11-06-2013, 03:32 PM
IMO, I'm all for rookie, freshman or whatever new guy to the office hazing. It's going to happen but obviously there is a line that should not be crossed. I think Incognito crossed that line, but if you go and look at his twitter account, there are multiple pictures of Incognito and Martin hanging out doing things together. This is a really weird situation where it seems like the two guys were somewhat friends.

I think Martin is just as much to blame as Incognito is, he's an offensive lineman in the NFL. This is what is wrong with today's society. If two men have a disagreement take it outside to the parking lot and whatever happens, happens and get over it and be friends again. Obviously racial slurs and the other things said in the voicemail have no place in todays society, but I don't think tattle telling does either. I'm sure someone's called Incognito a cracker on the team and I doubt he called the NFLPA about it.

This is going to get messy since coaches and what not told Incognito to toughen Martin up after missing a voluntary workout. A lot of people are going to get fired. I doubt Incognito and Martin find another team to play for. I know if I was an offensive lineman in the NFL I wouldn't want to play alongside Martin because dear God, I say a cuss word or threaten to kick his butt for missing a block he'll call the authorities on me.

1st and goal
11-06-2013, 03:36 PM
IMO, I'm all for rookie, freshman or whatever new guy to the office hazing. It's going to happen but obviously there is a line that should not be crossed. I think Incognito crossed that line, but if you go and look at his twitter account, there are multiple pictures of Incognito and Martin hanging out doing things together. This is a really weird situation where it seems like the two guys were somewhat friends.

I think Martin is just as much to blame as Incognito is, he's an offensive lineman in the NFL. This is what is wrong with today's society. If two men have a disagreement take it outside to the parking lot and whatever happens, happens and get over it and be friends again. Obviously racial slurs and the other things said in the voicemail have no place in todays society, but I don't think tattle telling does either. I'm sure someone's called Incognito a cracker on the team and I doubt he called the NFLPA about it.

This is going to get messy since coaches and what not told Incognito to toughen Martin up after missing a voluntary workout. A lot of people are going to get fired. I doubt Incognito and Martin find another team to play for. I know if I was an offensive lineman in the NFL I wouldn't want to play alongside Martin because dear God, I say a cuss word or threaten to kick his butt for missing a block he'll call the authorities on me.

I hear what your saying but, if 2 NFL linemen go out in a parking lot to settle something, 1 of them might end up dead or at the least in the hospital. Lawsuit city. Never play another down city too.

caleb_mccaig
11-06-2013, 03:41 PM
I hear what your saying but, if 2 NFL linemen go out in a parking lot to settle something, 1 of them might end up dead or at the least in the hospital. Lawsuit city. Never play another down city too.

Ok true, but you would think that in regards to a teammate or someone you spend every day of the week with you would know the stopping point. But always the possibility when you're talking about men that size.

Old Tiger
11-06-2013, 03:44 PM

Do it in the locker room, let team mates break it up. Issue would be resolved after. Guys in nature never hold grudges like our female counterparts.

Macarthur
11-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Ok true, but you would think that in regards to a teammate or someone you spend every day of the week with you would know the stopping point. But always the possibility when you're talking about men that size.

That's the problem with incognito. He's doesn't have that governor.

caleb_mccaig
11-06-2013, 05:34 PM
On twitter now, media reports are saying that Dolphins WR Brian Hartline is pretty outraged because he said Martin was passing the voicemail around the locker room earlier in the year and laughing about it.

Also, Tannehill said the controversy is a, "big surprise, a shock" because Incognito and Martin had a close relationship.

Macarthur
11-06-2013, 05:55 PM
Weird.

Sweetwater Red
11-06-2013, 07:17 PM
nevermind

D'Highlander
11-07-2013, 07:20 AM
On twitter now, media reports are saying that Dolphins WR Brian Hartline is pretty outraged because he said Martin was passing the voicemail around the locker room earlier in the year and laughing about it.

Also, Tannehill said the controversy is a, "big surprise, a shock" because Incognito and Martin had a close relationship.

Report claims Miami Dolphins GM suggested Martin confront Incognito physically... :1popcorn: Nearly everyone on the team is defending Incognito...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/06/sources-ireland-suggested-that-martin-confront-incognito-physically/

Old Tiger
11-07-2013, 07:26 AM
I read where Martin lost his starting job 3 days before quiting the team this bullying thing came up.

Macarthur
11-07-2013, 09:00 AM
This is a crazy story that is going to cost several people their jobs.

D'Highlander
11-07-2013, 10:39 AM
these stories here lately always seem to go deeper than the original reports...

Old Tiger
11-07-2013, 10:43 AM
these stories here lately always seem to go deeper than the original reports...

Cause ESPN is full of !@#$ network these days.

D'Highlander
11-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Cause ESPN is full of !@#$ network these days.

100% agree... its all about sensationalism