PDA

View Full Version : Wylie @ Sweetwater

ccmom
11-04-2013, 08:57 AM
Let's hear your thoughts...

Lots of history between these two teams. If I'm correct (which I very well could be wrong) 2003 was the last time the Mustangs beat the Bulldogs. This year, the Mustangs are coming off a huge win over Monahans...which sets them up for a chance to make the playoffs after a drought for several seasons. The Mustang Bowl is one of my favorite places to watch a game, and I have no doubt it will be flooded with RED Friday night. Should be an exciting atmosphere.

Although I'm clearly rooting for the Bulldogs, I'm glad to see Sweetwater coming into their own under Coach Mobley. I'm thinking this might be one that comes down to the wire.

Ok...no more nice things to say about Sweewater this week. Go Bulldogs!!!!

slingshot
11-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Should be a good one. We have 3 starting o-linemen and our top rusher out--lots of underclassmen getting to play. Still think we prevail by 10+. But Sweetwater did spank Monahans...:thinking:

Bosqueville
11-04-2013, 11:37 AM
This might be closer than the bulldog faithful might think.... Not a good time to start playing ugly football.. hence the Snyder game..

Trashman
11-04-2013, 11:41 AM
Dogs by 14

pirate4state
11-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Sweetwater by 1.
I will be in attendance. Never seen Sweetwater play and I've only seen Abilene Wylie lose :-D

defense51
11-04-2013, 03:27 PM
AW by 10

hollywood
11-04-2013, 03:56 PM
AW by 7 because it's at the Bowl.

If in AW, they'd win by 21. :thinking:

Matthew328
11-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Snyder fans will be nervously watching this one

Sweetwater Red
11-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Snyder fans will be nervously watching this one

Snyder fans rooting for a Tiger and Bulldog win so that they make the playoffs.

Sweetwater fans rooting for a Mustang win so they can make the playoffs (and a Steer win so Sweetwater can nail down the DII #1 seed).

Monahans fans rooting for a Lobo win for an outright district championship (and the DII #1 seed).

Wylie fans rooting for Bulldog and Steer win for a share of the district title.

I'm pretty sure that's right. If not, I know somebody on here will correct me. lol

ccmom
11-04-2013, 04:11 PM

Sweetwater fans rooting for a Mustang win so they can make the playoffs (and a Steer win so Sweetwater can nail down the DII #1 seed).

Monahans fans rooting for a Lobo win for an outright district championship (and the DII #1 seed).

I'm pretty sure that's right. If not, I know somebody on here will correct me. lol

I'm just rooting for a Bulldog win and some Allen's chicken...the rest is gravy....it's bad joke Monday, apparently!! ;)

slingshot
11-04-2013, 06:37 PM
...Wylie fans rooting for Bulldog and Steer win for a share of the district title.

I'm pretty sure that's right. If not, I know somebody on here will correct me. lolIf that happens Big Spring and Wylie tie for the district championship... but we won the head to head:thinking:

Sweetwater Red
11-04-2013, 07:37 PM
If that happens Big Spring and Wylie tie for the district championship... but we won the head to head:thinking:

Yeah, you have a point. The logic in my post doesn't work but I'm not sure how the district title is decided. If Big Spring and Wylie tie with one loss then I
would think the title would go to Wylie. Same as the title would go to Monahans if they and Wylie tie with one loss.

TheDOCTORdre
11-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Lots of history between these two teams. If I'm correct (which I very well could be wrong) 2003 was the last time the Mustangs beat the Bulldogs.

Sources close to the situation can confirm that the Mustangs did defeat Wylie in 2003 by a tally of 21-7. And ten years later the Stangs are going to come out on top again!

Sweetwater Red
11-05-2013, 02:52 PM
District 4-3A

Clinched Berth: Big Spring (DI), Abilene Wylie (DI), Monahans (DII)
Still Alive: Sweetwater, Snyder
Key Games: Monahans at Big Spring, Abilene Wylie at Sweetwater, Midland Greenwood at Snyder
First of all, the final playoff spot comes down to Sweetwater and Snyder. Sweetwater is in with a win over Wylie or a Greenwood win over Snyder. Snyder is in with a win over Greenwood and a Wylie win over Sweetwater. Wylie clinches the top DI seed with a win over Sweetwater or a Monahans win over Big Spring. Big Spring clinches the top DI seed with a win over Monahans and a Sweetwater win over Wylie. Monahans clinches the top DII seed with a win over Big Spring or the combination of a Snyder win over Greenwood and a Wylie win over Sweetwater. Sweetwater clinches the top DII spot with a win over Wylie and a Big Spring win over Monahans. Got all that?

http://www.texasfootball.com/playoffscenarios

DaHop72
11-05-2013, 03:21 PM

Man, this stings..................................but go Bulldogs!!!!! Ouch that hurt.:)

Sweetwater Red
11-05-2013, 03:30 PM
Man, this stings..................................but go Bulldogs!!!!! Ouch that hurt.:)

You should pass on GW and come to the Bowl DaHop.

DaHop72
11-05-2013, 03:38 PM
You should pass on GW and come to the Bowl DaHop.

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Sweetwater Red
11-05-2013, 04:09 PM

Dist. 4

Abilene Wylie by 3 at Sweetwater
Big Spring by 12 vs Monahans
Snyder by 25 vs Midland Greenwood

I'm just saying.... :)

pirate4state
11-05-2013, 04:35 PM

plus, i'll be there :inlove: :wave:

pero chato
11-05-2013, 05:46 PM

lol - but I'd like to hear that from Black Magic now.

DaHop72
11-05-2013, 05:49 PM
plus, i'll be there :inlove: :wave:

An even better reason to try and be there, then you can see how the "little" boy has grown.:)

Sweetwater Red
11-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Red Out planned for Friday night

There will be a RED OUT Friday night at Mustang Bowl. Sweetwater Independent School District is encouraging everyone to wear their red and pack the stands for the most exciting game of the season against Wylie. There will also be a RED OUT T-shirt give-away. The first 200 adult ticket holders through the gate and wearing red, will win a RED OUT T-shirt.

At halftime, there will be a “Black Out” performance by the Mighty Mustang Marching Band.

Friday night is also Senior night at Mustang Bowl. The SHS Band Seniors will be honored at halftime and the Senior football players and cheerleaders will be honored immediately following the game.

Kick-off is at 7:30 p.m. but come early for a chance at a free RED OUT T-shirt and stay late for the sights, sounds and excitement of Friday night football in Mustang Bowl.

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/red-out-planned-friday-night

slingshot
11-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Not gonna matter... it's going to be a 'Purple Out' as the 'Dawgs bite the 'Stangs!:tisk:

Sweetwater Red
11-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Not gonna matter... it's going to be a 'Purple Out' as the 'Dawgs bite the 'Stangs!:tisk:

'Purple out' huh? This pic that gp77 took "ten minutes before the start of the game" at home against Snyder last Friday
suggests differently. :thinking: :devil:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg53/detroit8990/10minutesbeforeSNY.jpg

slingshot
11-05-2013, 11:14 PM
'Purple out' huh? This pic that gp77 took "ten minutes before the start of the game" at home against Snyder last Friday
suggests differently. :thinking: :devil:

Not talking about our spoiled fans... I'm talking about what's going to happen on the field! (I gotta get better at this smack-talk stuff... maybe take some lessons from nobogey :rolleyes:)

Sweetwater Red
11-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Not talking about our spoiled fans... I'm talking about what's going to happen on the field! (I gotta get better at this smack-talk stuff... maybe take some lessons from nobogey :rolleyes:)

Speaking of spoiled, don't go stirring that cranky old man up. He's probably already in a sour mood knowing he is going
to have to spend the evening in a pressbox that has no elevator, HD television or one of these...ours would be red of course.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg53/detroit8990/foodbar.jpg

nobogey72
11-06-2013, 05:51 PM

I'm pretty sure that our district rule is that if there are ties for first that they are considered co-champions. As far as the seeding goes, they probably do go by head to head. And by the way Red, the reason there weren't more people in the stands in that picture is because the Booster Club sponsored Rib-ey/ Lobster dinner that we do at home games ran a little late. Those people that WERE there in that picture weren't invited to the dinner due to their booster club donations not being big enough. So there!! Who do y'all play in basketball next week?

Sweetwater Red
11-06-2013, 07:12 PM
I'm pretty sure that our district rule is that if there are ties for first that they are considered co-champions. As far as the seeding goes, they probably do go by head to head. And by the way Red, the reason there weren't more people in the stands in that picture is because the Booster Club sponsored Rib-ey/ Lobster dinner that we do at home games ran a little late. Those people that WERE there in that picture weren't invited to the dinner due to their booster club donations not being big enough. So there!! Who do y'all play in basketball next week?

Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me at all but are you calling ccmom cheap because she is sitting almost dead center in that pic. :eek:

Next week, a handful of kids whose talents are better suited for basketball court than a football field will be playing that
1A juggernaut Haskell while our football team is out on the practice field preparing for Clint. :thumbsup:

Seriously though, I wouldn't be surprised if Sandifer empties the bench regardless of score. He might even play to lose it. I mean
Wylie is already in the playoffs so why chance suffering anymore significant injuries? Plus, what a better way for Hugh to get back
at the Tigers for all those times that Snyder has beaten him in the last 10-12 years then to have a hand in their elimination
from playoff contention by tanking this game? Just a thought...:devil:

nobogey72
11-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me at all but are you calling ccmom cheap because she is sitting almost dead center in that pic. :eek:

Next week, a handful of kids whose talents are better suited for basketball court than a football field will be playing that
1A juggernaut Haskell while our football team is out on the practice field preparing for Clint. :thumbsup:

Seriously though, I wouldn't be surprised if Sandifer empties the bench regardless of score. He might even play to lose it. I mean
Wylie is already in the playoffs so why chance suffering anymore significant injuries? Plus, what a better way for Hugh to get back
at the Tigers for all those times that Snyder has beaten him in the last 10-12 years then to have a hand in their elimination
from playoff contention by tanking this game? Just a thought...:devil:

The main reason would be that we are playing for a share of the district championship. There is nothing at this point that could possibly motivate us more than that.

Sweetwater Red
11-07-2013, 01:03 PM
The main reason would be that we are playing for a share of the district championship. There is nothing at this point that could possibly motivate us more than that.

Oh geez, did Coach Sandifer ask you to say that or did you just simply cut and paste an excerpt from one of his interviews on
the Big Country Homepage website. :taunt:

Sweetwater Red
11-07-2013, 01:05 PM
SW faces do-or-die vs. Wylie

November 7, 2013

By
Ron Howell

There will be a definite sense of finality on Friday when Sweetwater and Wylie meet at Mustang Bowl.
It’s the final game of the regular season for both of the teams, but the finality goes further. Consider:
(1) If Sweetwater loses, the Mustangs’ season will be over unless Snyder (1-3 in district) also loses to Midland Greenwood (0-4). If Snyder wins and the Mustangs (2-2) lose to Wylie, Snyder will take the No. 4 — and final — playoff spot in District 4-3A by vir-tue of the Tigers’ 41-14 win over Sweetwater.
(2) It may be the last time Sweetwater and Wylie meet in a district game for awhile, if the Bulldogs are moved by the UIL to a big-school division in the next realignment while Sweetwater is put in the small-school division.
Sweetwater — whose only two wins over Wylie since dropping to Class 3A after the 1999 season came in the two years (2002-03) when the teams were in separate districts — would like noth-ing better than to end its frustration while extending its season for at least one more week.
The outlook for Sweetwa-ter would be much less rosy had it not beat Monahans 28-9 last Friday, a win that dropped the Loboes (3-1) into a tie with Wylie and Big Spring for first place. Now, Sweetwater can advance as the No. 1 small-school seed from District 4-3A if the Mustangs beat Wylie while Monahans also loses to Big Spring on Friday.
To beat Wylie, Sweetwater may need to play as well as it did against the Loboes in by far its best game of the season so far. Sweetwater set one-game lows for the fewest points (9) and yards (281) allowed in handing Monahans its first defeat in district play. Wylie beat Snyder 27-16 last week and if it wins Friday while Big Spring defeats Monahans, Wylie will be the No. 1 seed in the district.
Beating Monahans was a breakout win for the team, said coach Shane Mobley. “We’ve been close to (a breakout win) all year and didn’t finish, but our kids finished this time. They took care of it. So it’s something we want to do again. If we play well, we have the opportunity to beat them. If we play our game, we can play with them.”
Sweetwater is starting to get “that winning mentality and desire,” Mobley said.
“We challenged the kids (last) Friday night and they came out and responded.”
One thing that may have helped Sweetwater finish the job last week against Monahans is the memory of 2012, when the Loboes overcame a 21-point deficit to beat Sweetwater 39-35. “We (the coaches) had last year on our minds, and it was on our kids’ minds. But this week we’re not thinking about Monahans,” Mobley said. We’re thinking about not just making the play-offs, but possibly being the No. 1 small-school seed. So there’s a lot of motivation for our guys this week.”
And Mobley thinks his team has another big game in them. “Most definitely,” he said, “because we’re having fun, and that’s on both sides of (the ball).
“We’ve got to keep our destiny in our hands. We’ve got to put it on our shoul-ders,” he said.
Sweetwater’s defense, of course, had numerous big plays against Monahans. One of the biggest plays of the game was an 81-yard fumble recovery by defen-sive lineman Cory Mendez, who picked up the loose ball at Sweetwater’s 19 and went 81 yards the other way to give his team a 14-7 lead in the second quarter — a lead the Mustangs held on to and increased in the second half, getting two more scores after the Loboes used a safety to get within 14-9 in the third quarter.

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/sw-faces-do-or-die-vs-wylie

Sweetwater Red
11-07-2013, 04:10 PM
ARN sportswriter Evan Ren's take on the game.

If Sweetwater wins this contest, the Mustangs will earn
an 11th game. It’s that simple.

Before SHS' upset of Monahans on the road last week,
this game wouldn't have made our top 6 (GOTW). But
the 28-9 stunner was so convincing , that many area
fans are now giving the Mustangs a shot at knocking
off their old nemesis, Wylie, to reach the playoffs.

On paper it looks close, and when that's the case, I'll
generally lean toward the team that has played better
defense throughout the year.

In this case, that would be Wylie, which has limited
the opposition to 21 points per game, including five
opponents to 16 or less.

Sweetwater has been explosive offensively throughout
the year, averaging 35 points, but the Mustang are also
allowing 37.

Toss in the fact that Wylie, which is still in the hunt for
a district title, has had Sweetwater's number for years,
and I'm leaning toward the Bulldogs.

PICK: Wylie by 10

Well, like Beast said a few weeks back, when Ren chose Sweetwater to beat Brownwood, I'm glad he is picking you guys. :D

ccmom
11-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Have y'all turned on the seat warmers at the Mustang Bowl yet? It's gonna be chilly.

Game day!! Can't wait!!

Sweetwater Red
11-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Have y'all turned on the seat warmers at the Mustang Bowl yet? It's gonna be chilly.

Game day!! Can't wait!!

Nope, no Wylie like amenities here at the Bowl. I think our Scurry County friend may be leaning towards
heading this way. Maybe he can buy you a cup of hot chocolate to keep you warm. That we will have.
Did he ever pay you for that cup he owed you?

ccmom
11-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Nope, no Wylie like amenities here at the Bowl. I think our Scurry County friend may be leaning towards
heading this way. Maybe he can buy you a cup of hot chocolate to keep you warm. That we will have.
Did he ever pay you for that cup he owed you?

I plead the fifth on the hot chocolate issue. :)

No seat warmers?? Ugh. Well do y'all at least have outdoor heaters at the valet stand? :confused:

Sweetwater Red
11-08-2013, 01:45 PM
I plead the fifth on the hot chocolate issue. :)

No seat warmers?? Ugh. Well do y'all at least have outdoor heaters at the valet stand? :confused:

Nope, no heaters or valet stands either. We do have a recently purchased Chick-Fil-A
sandwich warmer thingy. Personally I think Chick-Fil-A is gross but hey the kids
seem to love it.

ccmom
11-09-2013, 01:07 AM
Great game tonight. Sweetwater looks to be buying into Mobley's offensive scheme, and I think they have a bright future under his leadership.

Congrats to the Bulldogs on the win. Most importantly...Prayers for our #80. That was a scary scene.

slingshot
11-09-2013, 01:09 AM
...Prayers for our #80. That was a scary scene.Tell me about it...

ccmom
11-09-2013, 01:23 AM
Tell me about it...

Probably a good time for me to say THANK YOU to you and the rest of our team of physicians. It's always everyone's prayer that you won't be needed but so thankful to have you there when these situations happen. God bless you all.

Sweetwater Red
11-09-2013, 01:43 AM
Any updates as to his condition?

And congrats of course and good luck the rest of the way.
81 is impressive out of the backfield.

slingshot
11-09-2013, 10:12 AM
Any updates as to his condition?

And congrats of course and good luck the rest of the way.
81 is impressive out of the backfield.Someone else can update his condition--unfortunantly I can't... privacy issues. All I can state is what is public knowledge--he was improved last night at the hospital after the game.

slingshot
11-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Probably a good time for me to say THANK YOU to you and the rest of our team of physicians. It's always everyone's prayer that you won't be needed but so thankful to have you there when these situations happen. God bless you all.Thank you very much! That means a lot...

Sweetwater Red
11-09-2013, 10:49 AM
Someone else can update his condition--unfortunantly I can't... privacy issues. All I can state is what is public knowledge--he was improved last night at the hospital after the game.

Understandable, and I echo Randa's sentiments. Hope to hear positive
news about him soon and appreciate what you and those in your profession
do for our players on the field especially in circumstances like lastnight.