PDA

View Full Version : 45 point rule

caleb_mccaig
10-31-2013, 11:47 AM
Can someone tell me why there isn't one for the higher classifications? Might be one of the stupidest things the UIL doesn't have.

ahs_indian_fan
10-31-2013, 12:12 PM
Can someone tell me why there isn't one for the higher classifications? Might be one of the stupidest things the UIL doesn't have.

I think it has to do with participation. You have 70 kids on a varsity football team and 35-40 might play regularly. If you put a 45-point rule in those other 30 will either never see the field or go ahead and start a second (or third for some) jv team. Those 30 deserve to be rewarded for their time and effort during the week and if the situation presents itself then I am all for those kids getting some PT. The thought is also that by playing my second or third team kids you should be able to slow them down a little as to not let the score get to 70-0 ...

In six-man where you may have 12 or 15 kids on a sideline, its a lot easier to get everyone on the field in a half when the score is out of hand.

Just my two cents

Matthew328
10-31-2013, 12:21 PM
I think it has to do with participation. You have 70 kids on a varsity football team and 35-40 might play regularly. If you put a 45-point rule in those other 30 will either never see the field or go ahead and start a second (or third for some) jv team. Those 30 deserve to be rewarded for their time and effort during the week and if the situation presents itself then I am all for those kids getting some PT. The thought is also that by playing my second or third team kids you should be able to slow them down a little as to not let the score get to 70-0 ...

In six-man where you may have 12 or 15 kids on a sideline, its a lot easier to get everyone on the field in a half when the score is out of hand.

Just my two cents

This is exactly why...a big 5A program may have close to 100 kids suited up on Friday night. Most of those kids will never play unless there is a blowout.

Scoop27
10-31-2013, 12:24 PM
Katy is prime example of that

hollywood
10-31-2013, 12:26 PM

Just my two cents

:iagree:

Caleb, you have to understand that a LOT of schools do pull back in the 2nd half. Stephenville is one of them. Several games this season could have gotten to 80+ points if the starters stayed in and pressed for 4 quarters. It's a win win for both teams when the 2's and 3's get experience and the opposing team isn't blown out by 91 points. ;)

caleb_mccaig
10-31-2013, 12:31 PM
Makes sense I suppose. I can just see this whole "bullying" thing becoming a trend with everyone wanting a participation trophy now a days. Next thing you know every team is going to make the playoffs. Also, it helps getting home a couple hours earlier lol.

hollywood
10-31-2013, 12:34 PM

I dissagree... the UIL does not need a mercy rule in 11 man football. Programs need to get better.

The world already has too many pansies and whiners.
http://andtheycallmecrazy.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/whiner.jpg

caleb_mccaig
10-31-2013, 12:46 PM
I dissagree... the UIL does not need a mercy rule in 11 man football. Programs need to get better.

Personally, I think ending the game at halftime because you're already down 45-0 is more embarrassing than being graced with the presence of the elite team for another half.

hollywood
10-31-2013, 12:55 PM
Personally, I think ending the game at halftime because you're already down 45-0 is more embarrassing than being graced with the presence of the elite team for another half.

So the kids/players that bust their tale all season don't get to play? Don't you agree that programs need something to aspire to? Give it your best and get better. Makes the world go round.

Macarthur
10-31-2013, 01:06 PM

I think the 'just get better' mentality is flawed. In the vast majority of schools in this state, they have the kids they have. They can't recruit better. And I don't think anyone is talking about 40+ points butt whippings. What I honk needs attention is the 70+ point games. Nothing is gained by these. If either team has a major injury in a game that is that out of hand, that would be really unfortunate.

There have been mercy rules in baseball forever. You have issue with that?

Matthew328
10-31-2013, 01:23 PM
I think the 'just get better' mentality is flawed. In the vast majority of schools in this state, they have the kids they have. They can't recruit better. And I don't think anyone is talking about 40+ points butt whippings. What I honk needs attention is the 70+ point games. Nothing is gained by these. If either team has a major injury in a game that is that out of hand, that would be really unfortunate.

Hard to compare baseball to any other sport since its the only sport without a clock...a game could conceivably go on forever

hollywood
10-31-2013, 01:31 PM

I disagree. 6-man football and baseball at some levels are the only sports I know that have mercy rules. Soccer for instance does not have a mercy rule. I've seen games end in a 16-0 fashion. That is a butt whoopin. That would compare to a 112-0 score in football. But guess what.. the other team didn't whine about it. They knew where they were in level of play and know now where they need to be to compete.

Do you think mercy rules would help teams get better more than not?

ccmom
10-31-2013, 01:41 PM
Hard to compare baseball to any other sport since its the only sport without a clock...a game could conceivably go on forever

Exactly

Bullaholic
10-31-2013, 01:42 PM
There is a very simple solution to this problem. At the pre-game coaches-officials meeting have the head official ask the coaches if they want the mercy rule in effect. If there is 100% agreement, play the game accordingly. If agreement is not unanimous--no mercy rule in effect.

toddg
10-31-2013, 01:51 PM
:iagree:

Caleb, you have to understand that a LOT of schools do pull back in the 2nd half. Stephenville is one of them. Several games this season could have gotten to 80+ points if the starters stayed in and pressed for 4 quarters. It's a win win for both teams when the 2's and 3's get experience and the opposing team isn't blown out by 91 points. ;)

good thing Aledo tapped the brakes on the jackets...like you said..it was win win for both of ya'll...

Emerson1
10-31-2013, 01:58 PM
It also hurts team who might be decent, but just can't hang with a SLC or Katy. The 3rd place team in a district will still want that extra half in a game to work on things.

OldBison75
10-31-2013, 02:09 PM
One of the problems we have in this world today is what we teach our kids. If we teach them that they will never be embarassed by losing in a sport, we are not being truthful with them. If we teach them that it is important to give 100 % to everything they do, they will be better mothers, fathers and citizens in the future. We should be teaching them to be the best they can and even if it is not good enough in a game or competition, they should take pride in giving thier best and not be embarassed by their effort.

Mercy rules in football are already available by running the clock nonstop. If coaches want to avoid being badly beaten, then agree to run the clock nonstop. Just my thoughts. But, don't blame the other team for playing well, that is the goal of every coach and kid in a good program.

Macarthur
10-31-2013, 03:01 PM
But guess what.. the other team didn't whine about it. They knew where they were in level of play and know now where they need to be to compete.

This is a bit of a Strawman. Other than this idiot parent that filed a bullying suit which none of us agree with, no one is whining.

I'm just saying that I don't see anything good that comes out of a 70 point thrashing of another team.

Do you think mercy rules would help teams get better more than not?

Not sure. Not really that much of a concern. I do know teams could get worse if they lose good players while gettingbeat by 60 or 70 points.

Old Tiger
10-31-2013, 03:24 PM
Because we're Texas!

Manso/V8
10-31-2013, 08:59 PM

Soccer (kickball) has a clock and those games seem to go on forever, they even play after the clock reaches zero.......

Scoop27
10-31-2013, 09:44 PM
In some 2A and 3A games the coaches agree to let the clock run in the second half if one team has a big lead. Saw it a Louise-Ganado game last year

hollywood
10-31-2013, 10:58 PM
Soccer (kickball) has a clock and those games seem to go on forever, they even play after the clock reaches zero.......

Soccer is different from kickball. There are some "soccer" teams who play more like kickball. If a team is considered a solid soccer team, the game is played by skilled control, passing, and movement. A beautiful game. But an ignorant outsider, it's probably kickball.

There's only one original football.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football