PDA

View Full Version : Columbia-La Marque game preview story

Scoop27
10-31-2013, 05:29 AM
By JOEL LUNA joel.luna@thefacts.com | 0 comments

WEST COLUMBIA — The youth movement continues for the Columbia Roughnecks, and those youngsters are getting seasoned as the possibility of a playoff game looms.

Columbia’s big win against KIPP Sunnyside (57-14) last week could have secured fourth place for them in District 24-3A, if things work out in the final two weeks of action.

“We’ve made some progress with these young kids who are starting to get some game-time experience under their belt,” Columbia coach Randy Lynch said. “We have six sophomores starting on defense, and they are learning and progressing. We also have three sophomores starting on the defensive side of the ball, and they are a work in progress.”

The Roughnecks (1-2 district, 3-5) will entertain La Marque (2-0, 5-3) at 7:30 p.m. to finish up what has been a challenging regular season this week.

“I’ve always had a few youngsters on both sides of the ball, but not as many as we’ve had this year,” Lynch said. “They certainly have had to grow up a bit quicker than they wanted, but so far they’ve kept improving every day.

“We definitely have gone through some growing pains, and we’ve been like a roller coaster since the third game after winning the first two,” he said. “It’s been like one good half and one bad half, so one thing we must do is start off fast and finish the same way.

His young players have continued to work hard, Lynch said.

“It’s been an on-the-job learning experience for some,” he said.

The Cougars and Roughnecks both entered the 2012 matchup with spotless records. After a scoreless first half. things came undone for Columbia.

“Things just snowballed for us last year,” Lynch said.

The Cougars come into Griggs Field averaging 349.8 yards on offense, while on defense they are holding opponents to 227.1 yards a game.

Junior quarterback Ladarrian Ellis-Jones leads the Cougar attack with 649 passing yards on 52 completions, seven touchdowns and nine interceptions. Jones also has run for 627 yards on 154 carries for eight touchdowns and a 4.07-per-carry average.

“They also just got back a couple of kids on offense who are real fast,” Lynch said. “On offense they are just moving well and on defense they are just flying to the ball. One good thing is that we have them here at home.”

So far, that Cougar defense has only allowed 10 points in two district ball games.

“We need to keep the ball away from them, because they are explosive on offense,” Lynch said. “We really need to keep them off the field and just keep our possessions as long as we can.”

Columbia brings in the second-best runner in district with Dakarius Bell (213 carries, 1,462 yards, 6.86 per carry average, 22 TDs). The sophomore has had some dazzling performances so far this season.

“He’s got a bright future ahead of him, but one thing about Dakarius is that he continues to work,” Lynch said. “His upside is very good, even though he is just a sophomore.”

Sunnyside has two games remaining, at Stafford (2-0, 7-0) this week before closing at Sweeny (1-2, 5-3) the following week. With a five-team district, someone is going to stay home for the playoffs and the Roughnecks hope it isn’t them.

“We are going to have to run to the ball this week and gang tackle,” Lynch said “Somehow we need to keep them in front of us and hopefully our kids are up to the challenge.”

Columbia and La Marque have met nine times, with the Cougars holding an 8-1 advantage. The Roughnecks’ only win came in 1956 (38-27).

1971Coogs
10-31-2013, 06:54 AM
1956.....wow, I was three years old.

Saggy Aggie
11-01-2013, 08:31 AM
I'll be in attendance. Looking forward to seeing a beatdown :)

Crow22
11-01-2013, 09:13 AM
I'll be in attendance. Looking forward to seeing a beatdown :)

You're a great fan Saggy.

Did you talk as much crap about your team from the band section when you were in high school too?

Just curious.

Saggy Aggie
11-01-2013, 09:35 AM
You're a great fan Saggy.

Did you talk as much crap about your team from the band section when you were in high school too?

Just curious.

I was talking about the beatdown we're gonna lay on LM?

We've been improving and LM isn't as good as they usually are. WC is gonna get over the hump today just in time for the playoffs. We actually played stafford and Sweeny close so I'm somewhat hopeful.

Saggy Aggie
11-01-2013, 09:37 AM
You guys are cute with your assumptions though.

Crow22
11-01-2013, 02:07 PM
You guys are cute with your assumptions though.

I wasn't assuming anything...I was told by someone that knows you personally that you were not an athlete and that you played in the band. That's cool and all...just curious as to why you always trash your "team".

cougartino
11-01-2013, 03:33 PM
I'm just hoping Bucees on the corner does not run out of peanut patties. :D

Saggy Aggie
11-01-2013, 03:50 PM
I wasn't assuming anything...I was told by someone that knows you personally that you were not an athlete and that you played in the band. That's cool and all...just curious as to why you always trash your "team".

Lol, I was not a FOOTBALL player but I was an athlete for CHS. And I most certainly was not in the band, so your source thinks he knows a lot more than he actually does.

Again, your assumptions are cute. The fact that you think you know anything about me is hilarious.and if your source is who I think it is, then that explains everything, particularly why he doesn't know anything.

WC is my team. I'm also a realist. If we suck, we suck. If we're good, we're good.

There was times when we only won 2 games and I was ranking us in the top 25 every week and making excuses for why we lost every week, LOL. I don't do that any more though... Now I just call it like I see it. If our defense is getting shredded by 0-8 teams and teams that haven't won a game in 2 years, we've clearly got a problem. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

I couldn't care less if you don't think I'm qualified to critique this team or not based on the fact that I wasn't a football player. I quit football because I was as good as the coaches kids and didn't get to play as much. I wasn't going to waste my time competing against coaches kids. Hell, that's a huge reason we only won 3 games my senior year.... Our coaches son QB threw more pick6s than TDs.....I was calling for a new qb just like everyone else. Guess what, new QB the next year and we make it to the semifinals. I'm not trying to say I'm Nostradamus. It was CLEAR.

And it is again PAINFULLY CLEAR that our defense needed some major work earlier in the year. They appeared to be getting worse every week actually. They've since improved somewhat, so I am hopeful for tonight. I'm sorry that I'm not blinded with love for my team. I call it like I see it. Very few people are willing to say what I say, though >90% think it.

Oh well. Again, assume all you like, but you don't know me and clearly neither does your source, not that I give 2 shits what either of you think. I'll be there hoping regardless of the outcome and I've got every right to say what I want. If they wanna shut me up, or change my tune, just go win a damn game. It's that simple.