PDA

View Full Version : Poor Officitiaing in last nightsgame

coach
10-30-2013, 01:34 PM
Last night we played Whitehouse and we were down by 8 with 4 minutes left and we forced the running back out of bounds 6 or 7 times and the official continued to run the clock. I told him if the ball carrier runs out of bounds the clock stops. He sai nobc he was touched in bounds. If you are touched anywhere in bounds the clock comtinues to run. We held them on a goal line stand, but had to waste two timeouts bc of the idiot. Our rally came up short as we just barely missed a hail marry in the endzone. Has anyone ever heard this explanation before?

jason
10-30-2013, 01:39 PM
If they get 'touched' and pushed out of bounds behind where forward progress was established, I think it will keep running (and that might just be a nfl rule). Other than that, it doesn't make much sense.

Emerson1
10-30-2013, 01:43 PM
I think I'd be writing an email.

That is probably why he is doing middle school ball...

D'Highlander
10-30-2013, 01:49 PM
So everyone on the whole crew thought the same thing?

Rabid Cougar
10-30-2013, 02:50 PM
If the runner's forward progress is stopped or if he hits the ground in bounds and ends up out of bounds, the clock will continue to run. Because he physically ends up out of bounds does not neccessarily mean he is "out of bounds". I would have to see the situation but from your description, he was first stopped and then forced out of bounds. Clock rolls.

Just because the official is calling Thursday night does not have anything to do with his experience. Almost 100% of Thursday night officials call Friday night games too. Some even call high level D1 games. I have worked 7th grade B team games where there is over 90 years of experience in a four man officiating crew. (The other 3 being D1 College officials.)

GrTigers6
10-30-2013, 03:04 PM
The way I explain it is if the ball carrier leaves the field of play on his own ( either voluntarily or being tackled but still with forward progress) then the clock stops. If he is hit and his progress stops or turns sideways the clock runs
Now in a junior high game and in the middle of it unless I call him down out of bounds because he stepped out accidently I am letting it run but at the end of the halves I call it correctly
Now A games I will generally call it right no matter the time. That's generally the consensus with coaches on B and C team games anyway.
But there are some officials that are just there for a check or because they have to have so many for varsity eligibility, and could care less how the game goes they just want it over

coach
10-30-2013, 03:38 PM
they were running sweeps. our guys were hitting them on lets say the 20 yard line and end up out of bounds at the 18 (going forward).

After asking him why the clock is running he gave me that bs answer and I said weill i think i might have to disagree with you and he responded with well thats your problem.

coach
10-30-2013, 03:39 PM
Hell it was a jr high game so i really didnt care. I just thought it was funny. If it was a high school game Id probably be going to Austin today bc I would have gotten ejected.

Oh and there were only two officials working the game....

caleb_mccaig
10-30-2013, 03:54 PM
For some reason I always thought the clock started to run again if the player ran out of bounds if there was more than 2 minutes. There would be say a ten second stoppage of the clock or until the ball was set and then the clock would start to run, but within two minutes the clock stopped for good. I am probably totally wrong and this may just be what happens on NCAA 14.

Rabid Cougar
10-30-2013, 03:56 PM
For some reason I always thought the clock started to run again if the player ran out of bounds if there was more than 2 minutes. There would be say a ten second stoppage of the clock or until the ball was set and then the clock would start to run, but within two minutes the clock stopped for good. I am probably totally wrong and this may just be what happens on NCAA 14.

40 Second/25 Second clock rule in NCAA. UIL only uses 25.

Emerson1
10-30-2013, 04:09 PM

That is a rule, but only in college. UIL didn't adopt that.

tex_male
10-30-2013, 06:29 PM
Was reading someones blog the other day that was saying the UIL is looking at changing from the 25 sec. play clock to using the 40 sec. play clock. ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Roughneck93
10-30-2013, 06:32 PM
Was reading someones blog the other day that was saying the UIL is looking at changing from the 25 sec. play clock to using the 40 sec. play clock. ???

Yes sir, beginning next year.

http://highschoolsportsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/10/tick-ticking-away-uil-approves-use-of-40-second-play-clock-for-2014-football-season.html/?nclick_check=1

tex_male
10-30-2013, 08:54 PM
Maybe a good thing to help eat some clock time between snaps with so many spread teams, now the games are lasting 20-30+ minutes longer. A game with two rushing teams is going to be over quick.

TexMike
10-31-2013, 05:30 AM
The change to a 40/25 play clock will likely not have any significant impact on game length. As long as the UIL continues the exception to starting the clock after the ball is spotted following an out of bounds run, they will stay as long as they have been. Officials were always aiming to get the ball spotted 12 - 15 seconds after the end of the previous play. Add in the 25 seconds an you have a 37 - 40 second gap between plays which is what it will be with the 40/25 clock. One thing this clock might cause some problems with are the blow out games where officials would stretch the length of time between plays. They will no longer be able to do that unless there is some advance coordination with the timer about when to start the 40 second clock. All the more reason for a UIL mercy rule mandating a running clock in certain situations.

eagles_victory
10-31-2013, 07:05 AM
If you get tackled out of bounds it continues to run, if you run out of bounds on your own it stops is the explanation I always get from officials. The other night we literally had our guys get thrown to the ground and be punched in the face and the guy claimed all night after about literally 20 to 25 punches that were thrown that "he didn't see it"

coach
10-31-2013, 07:08 AM
If you get tackled out of bounds it continues to run, if you run out of bounds on your own it stops is the explanation I always get from officials. The other night we literally had our guys get thrown to the ground and be punched in the face and the guy claimed all night after about literally 20 to 25 punches that were thrown that "he didn't see it"

Im talking about a guy gets hit by our guy, stays on his feet and keeps going and runs out of bounds.

Also, have you ever seen a defender try and push aguy out of bounds and the coaches yelling at the rb to just fall down so he doesnt get tackled out of bounds? I see it once a week and the clock stops.

panfan
10-31-2013, 08:30 AM
Im talking about a guy gets hit by our guy, stays on his feet and keeps going and runs out of bounds.

Also, have you ever seen a defender try and push aguy out of bounds and the coaches yelling at the rb to just fall down so he doesnt get tackled out of bounds? I see it once a week and the clock stops.

Seen the reverse, ball carrier trying to get out of bounds to stop the clock and we were keeping him in to keep the clock running.