PDA

View Full Version : NO Pass No Play?????

jockcity33
10-30-2013, 09:35 AM
Fort Stockton thought it had a forfeit win against Fabens, which confessed to using a player who was academically ineligible during their District 3-3A football game Oct. 11 in Fort Stockton.
Fabens has since determined that the player was allowed to play after all, so the Wildcats are keeping the 48-28 win they earned on the field.
Fabens athletic director David Rueda, whose school reported the infraction to the District 3-3A Executive Committee during the week after the game, said Tuesday that the school sought an opinion from the University Interscholastic League, which governs public-school athletic competition in Texas. The UIL opinion said district executive committees do not have the authority to determine academic eligibility, giving Fabens ISD the exclusive right to determine whether the player in question was eligible or not.
“We didn’t determine it,” said Pecos athletic director Chris Henson, the chairman of the 3-3A executive committee. “Fabens sent it to us that they had played an ineligible player. That’s what we went off of.
“They reinvestigated and said he was eligible,” Henson added, referring to the Fabens ISD administration. “The superintendent and principal ruled he was not ineligible at the time he played.”
Neither Henson nor Rueda named the player in question, and Fort Stockton head coach Derrick Taylor said he has “no clue” who the player is. Rueda said the player had received a failing grade of 58 in a class but played in the game anyway, which is a violation of the UIL’s longstanding no-pass, no-play rule.
After the game, Rueda said the player’s teacher gave him an opportunity to “retake” some of his coursework. The player’s grade was then changed to a 70, the minimum passing grade.
“They self-reported that he was ineligible, and they go back and change their mind?” Taylor said. “It’s pretty cut and dried to me. If he had a 58 during game time, then he was ineligible.”
But the UIL, in a statement released to the Odessa American, said it gave Fabens the authority to rule on the player’s eligibility based on “additional documentation” provided by the school district.
Henson said he discussed the matter with UIL athletic director Mark Cousins, who was involved with resolving the situation.
“According to Cousins, by their policy, the grade change was allowable,” Henson said.
Henson said no further action will be taken regarding the Oct. 11 game, meaning Fabens will keep its 48-28 win and is in third place in the district at 3-5 overall and 2-1 in league play. Fort Stockton is in fourth place at 1-7 overall and 1-2 in district play.
Taylor said he was concerned about how his players would react to the news, but it won’t necessarily ruin the Panthers’ season. They conclude the regular season with games against Mountain View and rival Pecos, which is tied for first place with Clint, and the Panthers can secure a playoff berth with a win at home Friday against Mountain View.
“It doesn’t really matter what happens (regarding Fabens),” Taylor said. “We’ve still got to go out and beat Mountain View.”
Contact Adam Zuvanich on twitter @OAzuvanich, on Facebook at OA Adam Zuvanich or call 432-333-7649.

regaleagle
10-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Regardless of grades in the classroom(I know they are required), football is football and the whiners at Fort Stockton need to learn how to earn their wins on the field without help from other schools, lol. We have enough politics in the school system as it is, and this melonhead wants to make an issue of this incident. Forget it and move on.

Pudlugger
10-30-2013, 09:54 AM
A football Mulligan!:clap:

ccmom
10-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Regardless of grades in the classroom(I know they are required), football is football and the whiners at Fort Stockton need to learn how to earn their wins on the field without help from other schools, lol. We have enough politics in the school system as it is, and this melonhead wants to make an issue of this incident. Forget it and move on.

What makes you say Taylor is a melonhead?

regaleagle
10-30-2013, 10:08 AM
What makes you say Taylor is a melonhead?

Because he's the one making an issue out of this incident. Best to move forward for the team's sake and forget about it. Whether another team did this or did that....that's their business. His team lost on the field, and he should accept that and move forward with his team. Do you think this sort of thing is good for the boys on the Fort Stockton team??? I don't.

maestro
10-30-2013, 10:22 AM
Sometimes I believe that the old weekly grade check sheets every Thursday pm to determine eligibility would work best.

I won't blame the classroom teachers....the athlete probably knew he was screwing up grade wise.

I blame the isd for not enforcing the end of a grading period...PERIOD.

But having visited with teachers this GREY area of grade reporting is a cluster you know what.

This is more wide spread than you think. Coaches could go a long ways in helping the classroom teachers by going back to a WEEKLY grade report.

This will not change policy of no pass no play but...maybe help prevent the goof off athlete from complaining when deadlines are not met.

Can you tell that a support classroom teachers???
Haha

Deuce
10-30-2013, 10:30 AM
Sometimes I believe that the old weekly grade check sheets every Thursday pm to determine eligibility would work best.

I won't blame the classroom teachers....the athlete probably knew he was screwing up grade wise.

I blame the isd for not enforcing the end of a grading period...PERIOD.

But having visited with teachers this GREY area of grade reporting is a cluster you know what.

This is more wide spread than you think. Coaches could go a long ways in helping the classroom teachers by going back to a WEEKLY grade report.

This will not change policy of no pass no play but...maybe help prevent the goof off athlete from complaining when deadlines are not met.

Can you tell that a support classroom teachers???
Haha

Graham ISD has it set up to where I get emailed a progress report every week for my son. Wonder how many other schools do this?

maestro
10-30-2013, 10:53 AM
Plus some districts have set up consistent grade reporting
IE
Set number of grades per week

Leading to a set number of grades at progress report time and report card time.

A concerned coach, parent, ATHLETE should know their status.

I like what Graham isd is doing.

hookandladder
10-30-2013, 10:55 AM
In La Grange a parent can go online and check their kids grades daily , so there is no reason why a parent should not know if their kid is pasing or failing. The question is , do they really want to know.

Bassact
10-30-2013, 11:11 AM
In La Grange a parent can go online and check their kids grades daily , so there is no reason why a parent should not know if their kid is pasing or failing. The question is , do they really want to know.

Parents in Liberty Hill can check grades daily as well. But in my experience if their was ever an issue or drop in a grade the teachers were emailing us immediately. Not sure if they still do it but Vance use to require any player that was border line (academically) to bring their grades to him each week.

44INAROW
10-30-2013, 11:18 AM

I can remember being an "office aide" 5th period - right after lunch.. that was my junior year - 1974 - I would go to Coach Gilbreath's office @ the field house and he'd give me a sheet of paper (hand written by the way) and I would take that paper to the office and run off a bunch of copies and go to each classroom and give a copy to the teachers - - if anyone on that list was failing (60 back then) their name was written on the paper and Coach got notified prior to 3:15 if anyone was failing..... you'd know who it was by 4:00 - cause instead of going to KN to get a hamburger and root beer float before the Freshman and JV games - the person was running wind sprints and up and downs at the stadium...

maestro
10-30-2013, 11:25 AM
I can remember being an "office aide" 5th period - right after lunch.. that was my junior year - 1974 - I would go to Coach Gilbreath's office @ the field house and he'd give me a sheet of paper (hand written by the way) and I would take that paper to the office and run off a bunch of copies and go to each classroom and give a copy to the teachers - - if anyone on that list was failing (60 back then) their name was written on the paper and Coach got notified prior to 3:15 if anyone was failing..... you'd know who it was by 4:00 - cause instead of going to KN to get a hamburger and root beer float before the Freshman and JV games - the person was running wind sprints and up and downs at the stadium...

That is a classic story that I really enjoyed. Oh for the old days. Oh for the days when the Athletic Directors were second to Supers only.

THEY controlled the campus environments. Good Stuff.

maestro
10-30-2013, 11:26 AM
And that is why Cuero probably reigned supreme in that time period.

No nonsense accountability on the ATHLETE.

Deuce
10-30-2013, 11:28 AM

Was this in Graham?

caleb_mccaig
10-30-2013, 11:37 AM
Coaches got the grades from the teachers at CS and if you were close then you just ran everyday after practice until you were above a 75. Luckily, we didn't have to deal with to many people failing or being close. We also had mandatory tutoring also though if your grades were below a certain level.

ccmom
10-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Because he's the one making an issue out of this incident. Best to move forward for the team's sake and forget about it. Whether another team did this or did that....that's their business. His team lost on the field, and he should accept that and move forward with his team. Do you think this sort of thing is good for the boys on the Fort Stockton team??? I don't.

No...I don't. I just didn't see it as Taylor making a big deal of it. That's it.

nobogey72
10-30-2013, 04:37 PM

so you are saying that if Argyle lost a dist game and found out the other team had inelligle player or players, they would just shrug it off and say "Oh well! They beat us on the field and we won't report it" ?????

LH Panther Mom
10-30-2013, 08:44 PM
I know my kids graduated, but I don't think things have changed all that much in 1 1/2 years. I'm pretty sure that our kids, teachers AND coaches always knew on Friday what the grades were and whether or not they'd be eligible. So, unless there's a different schedule now, if they thought he wasn't eligible, why did they play him?

panfan
10-31-2013, 08:28 AM
So here is a question, when is academic eligibility or ineligibility determined for a player? Surely its not weekly. I always thought it was at the grade reporting times - 6 week periods. While its good to keep up with kids grades weekly and I do for my kiddos, as far as the UIL is concerned, when is a player not able to play, at the six week mark? what about after that time frame, when is the next reporting period? Weekly?

maestro
10-31-2013, 10:14 AM
It is determined by six weeks grading period. Then an athlete can regain at the three week progress report time.

For those districts on 9 week grading period...I cannot say

The thread was just suggesting two things: 1. UIL go back to a weekly check easier?? 2. People are saying that if districts would at least go back to informal weekly checks, parents, coaches, and athletes should never be caught off guard.

maestro
10-31-2013, 10:16 AM
I know my kids graduated, but I don't think things have changed all that much in 1 1/2 years. I'm pretty sure that our kids, teachers AND coaches always knew on Friday what the grades were and whether or not they'd be eligible. So, unless there's a different schedule now, if they thought he wasn't eligible, why did they play him?

Would love for someone with knowledge of the districts involved to answer this post.

It deserves a response.

jockcity33
11-01-2013, 09:29 AM
Would love for someone with knowledge of the districts involved to answer this post.

It deserves a response.

I agree, that it deserves a response!!! And since they self reported to begin with, and voted to forfeit when the DEC voted on the issue, why are they then able to reverse their own doings???

marler1972
11-01-2013, 09:37 AM
For those districts on 9 week grading period...I cannot say

It is also 6 weeks.

44INAROW
11-01-2013, 09:54 AM
Was this in Graham?

Cuero..

44INAROW
11-01-2013, 09:57 AM
That is a classic story that I really enjoyed. Oh for the old days. Oh for the days when the Athletic Directors were second to Supers only.

THEY controlled the campus environments. Good Stuff.
Amen.... by the way, The Cuero Heritage Museum is opening the 1972-1976 Cuero Gobbler Exhibit. Lots of neat pictures and articles.. going to have a presentation with Coach Gilbreath at halftime with numerous 72-76 players in attendance.. Going to be memorable for sure.. brings up so many good memories.. I feel fortunate to have been in school during those days :)