PDA

View Full Version : Paleo Diet

Old Tiger
10-30-2013, 12:21 AM
Any downlowers do this diet?

Celina8
10-30-2013, 05:47 AM
I have seen a few articles on it in the Dallas Morning News. Looks like you would depend on a lot of Organic foods and meats which can get pretty expensive. I know that I need to lose about 20 lbs or more and lower my sodium intake (lot harder than it sounds). For me in terms of weight gain or loss it comes down to the amount I eat every time! I can enjoy a hot dog, but I just need to eat one hot dog not two hot dogs. The one meal I try to eat the least amount unless it is a special occasion is dinner. I feel my best if I just have a protein drink and that is it...sadly these past two weeks I have gotten away from that diet plan. Of course I am trying to walk an hour every morning before work which I really have come to enjoy, but winter is coming. Let us know if you do get on this diet plan and how it works for you!

Old Tiger
10-30-2013, 05:49 AM
I have seen a few articles on it in the Dallas Morning News. Looks like you would depend on a lot of Organic foods and meats which can get pretty expensive. I know that I need to lose about 20 lbs or more and lower my sodium intake (lot harder than it sounds). For me in terms of weight gain or loss it comes down to the amount I eat every time! I can enjoy a hot dog, but I just need to eat one hot dog not two hot dogs. The one meal I try to eat the least amount unless it is a special occasion is dinner. I feel my best if I just have a protein drink and that is it...sadly these past two weeks I have gotten away from that diet plan. Of course I am trying to walk an hour every morning before work which I really have come to enjoy, but winter is coming. Let us know if you do get on this diet plan and how it works for you!
I've heard you don't neccessarily have to to the organic, but it is better for you. Just cutting dairy, sugars, and grains will kick the weight pretty good. I'm going to give it a go and try and find a cross fit gym because I have heard those are similar to football type work outs and that is something I'm comfortable with.

panfan
10-30-2013, 08:41 AM
So isn't this the me cave man, must kill and eat meat diet! :vrycnfsd:

Rabid Cougar
10-30-2013, 08:46 AM
Grubs and snails.

panfan
10-30-2013, 08:51 AM
Grubs and snails.

ahhh, really old school, before weapons and fire. I guess you just needs to watch a few episodes of some of those survivor shows to see how those diets are working out, right!

panfan
10-30-2013, 09:30 AM
Grubs and snails.

One person got it. :clap:

hollywood
10-30-2013, 10:05 AM
OT, I've heard of this but haven't tried it. I'm an endurance athlete. I run marathons, ultra trail races, I mountain bike and road cycle. I burn a lot of calories training so weight gain generally isn't an issue, unless like lately, I back off of my training. I try to minimize flour (breads, which I love, pastas, pizza, etc.), minimize sodium, and eat a LOT of fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts and minimize fatty meats (hot dogs, chichen fry, burgers, etc.). I try to drink as much water as I can during the day. I like coffe so I'll have 2-3 cups during the morning.

Eating a healthy diet is more challenging than most may think in our current society. I love BBQ, chicken fried steak, Italian food, Tex-Mex, and BEER... but I know it's not all that good for me so I limit it as much as possible. Quiet honestly, I've tried to go totally raw and felt amazing but I didn't last more than 4 weeks. It's so hard to eat healthy. Once you do for a while, I really don't miss the bad foods. I went 2 months without eating a burger last year. I finally broke down and got a Whataburger (which I love) and was blown away of how SALTY it was after not having one for 2 months. THAT goes to show you how we get used to the high sodium and fat, which leads to all kinds of health issue, mainly high blood pressure and high Cholesterol .

It truley takes a change in eating habits and life style of eating and not eating out as much if one wants to be as healthy as possible. Most of us dont' want to give up the "good foods"... super high in sodium, loaded with toxins (preservatives), high in fat type of foods we tend to like. If everyone could see what unhealthy foods does to the inside of your body, I think we'd see more people eating fresh foods rather than processed. I always remember anything in moderation... well to a point.

The Paleo diet is mainly lots of fresh (as you can get) veggies and fruits and nuts and lean meats. It's what we were really designed to eat. So it makes sense. All this other processed food we are more exposed to and made more convenient, is really very unhealthy. That's the main reason we see so many people with health issues.

If anyone has Netflix, search for "Food Matters". It's a documentary on how food affects us. Healthy and unhealthy.

regaleagle
10-30-2013, 11:05 AM
I don't know about this Paleo diet, but here's what I have done this year to straighten out my prediabetes situation. Firstly, I have listened to those that know....the professionals. My doctors instructed me to lay off the carbs and sugars....no potatoes, no bread, no sweeteners or sugars....nothing that turns into sugar. That did it!!! It was tough, but I changed my eating habits and went from 172 to 159 in about 6 weeks. And I feel healthier, more vital, and less lethargic....more energy. Along with this diet it is absolutely necessary to get regular exercise each day if possible. At age 59, this is not as easy as it was...say 10 yrs ago. I don't always adhere strictly to the diet or exercise routine, but I still am better off today. If I did develop my exercise routine the way I want to, and really cut out ALL carbs for maybe a year, I would say that I could expect to make a huge leap in improving my overall health condition for years going forward. This is my intention, and now I am moving in that positive direction. Wish me luck, and good luck to all of you contemplating the same situation. It is not an easy thing to accomplish, but is very do-able. Like anything else worthwhile, it requires much self-discipline.

Rabid Cougar
10-30-2013, 12:48 PM
Keep thinking you will eat like a Paleo Man

Here are some tasty treats that I got from one of my text books:

1. Large game - anything with four legs that didn't eat them first.
2. Small game — really small game — like possums, rats, mice and squirrels
3. All sorts of plants that we do not consider "food" includng woody stems, stripped bark, and pith
4. "Hotdogs" - Organ meat — brains, tongues, stomach, eyes, liver, and kidneys - these were the most nutritious of all the meats they ate.
5. Insects, especially grubs, large beetles and snails, including roaches.
6. Lizards, newts, frogs, turtles and anything else that had meat on its bones
7. Fruits and nuts
8. Carion - yes - the "other" white meat.
9. Salt - not as a condoment but as in salt licks, like what animal use.
10. Untreated Water - Not Bottle water!

Have fun eating "healthy".

hollywood
10-30-2013, 02:42 PM
You are what you eat.

http://www.foodmatters.tv/

Smitty
10-30-2013, 02:51 PM
At 56 and about 40 lbs overweight I started a ropes program for exercise and a diet of fresh foods, lean meat, veggies, fruits, no bread, no gravy, nothing fried. I grill all my meat and use about half the seasonings I usually do. I have reduced the amount I eat for a meal by half. No sweets except for a small handful of dark chocolate morsels a couple of times a week ( I love chocolate ). Been on this program for three weeks and I have lost 12 pounds and feel like in my 30's. Full of energy and the wife is pleased as well with her new husband!

1st and goal
10-30-2013, 08:14 PM
If your turd is bigger than a good cigar, you are eating too much to lose weight.

Hate to put it bluntly, but the truth sometimes is how it all turns out in the end. :)

Old Tiger
10-30-2013, 08:48 PM
At 56 and about 40 lbs overweight I started a ropes program for exercise and a diet of fresh foods, lean meat, veggies, fruits, no bread, no gravy, nothing fried. I grill all my meat and use about half the seasonings I usually do. I have reduced the amount I eat for a meal by half. No sweets except for a small handful of dark chocolate morsels a couple of times a week ( I love chocolate ). Been on this program for three weeks and I have lost 12 pounds and feel like in my 30's. Full of energy and the wife is pleased as well with her new husband!
I usually only use kosher salt and pepper. Sometimes I throw a little onion and garlic powder.

I'm using organic unsalted butter and olive oil when I cook things.

Here is my breakfast and dinner so far on the new diet...

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/1126/2hpn.jpg
2 scrambled eggs over tomatoes with avocado
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/8149/iw4r.jpg
ribeye with sauteed onions and mushrooms with zuchini and squash

regaleagle
10-30-2013, 08:57 PM
Nothing wrong with that, OT. Stay away from the taters and bread, and you'll be amazed what that can do for you.

Old Tiger
10-30-2013, 09:01 PM
Nothing wrong with that, OT. Stay away from the taters and bread, and you'll be amazed what that can do for you.

Definitely, kicking sodas and energy drinks will help also. I'm kicking dairy, grains, and sugars. That is of course unless the sugars come from fruit.

Smitty
10-30-2013, 09:37 PM
Water water water! no sodas!

Old Tiger
10-30-2013, 10:54 PM
Anyone know of a readily available gluten free beer?

what is a good red wine to drink?

hollywood
10-30-2013, 11:11 PM
Merlot

Roughneck93
10-30-2013, 11:17 PM
Anyone know of a readily available gluten free beer?

Bard's

Omission (gluten reduced)

Tejastrue
10-30-2013, 11:29 PM
Merlot Merlot is a good one

Tejastrue
10-30-2013, 11:49 PM
for meat I believe buffalo is the paleo choice

Manso/V8
10-30-2013, 11:49 PM
OT, I've heard of this but haven't tried it. I'm an endurance athlete. I run marathons, ultra trail races, I mountain bike and road cycle. I burn a lot of calories training so weight gain generally isn't an issue, unless like lately, I back off of my training. I try to minimize flour (breads, which I love, pastas, pizza, etc.), minimize sodium, and eat a LOT of fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts and minimize fatty meats (hot dogs, chichen fry, burgers, etc.). I try to drink as much water as I can during the day. I like coffe so I'll have 2-3 cups during the morning.

Eating a healthy diet is more challenging than most may think in our current society. I love BBQ, chicken fried steak, Italian food, Tex-Mex, and BEER... but I know it's not all that good for me so I limit it as much as possible. Quiet honestly, I've tried to go totally raw and felt amazing but I didn't last more than 4 weeks. It's so hard to eat healthy. Once you do for a while, I really don't miss the bad foods. I went 2 months without eating a burger last year. I finally broke down and got a Whataburger (which I love) and was blown away of how SALTY it was after not having one for 2 months. THAT goes to show you how we get used to the high sodium and fat, which leads to all kinds of health issue, mainly high blood pressure and high Cholesterol .

It truley takes a change in eating habits and life style of eating and not eating out as much if one wants to be as healthy as possible. Most of us dont' want to give up the "good foods"... super high in sodium, loaded with toxins (preservatives), high in fat type of foods we tend to like. If everyone could see what unhealthy foods does to the inside of your body, I think we'd see more people eating fresh foods rather than processed. I always remember anything in moderation... well to a point.

The Paleo diet is mainly lots of fresh (as you can get) veggies and fruits and nuts and lean meats. It's what we were really designed to eat. So it makes sense. All this other processed food we are more exposed to and made more convenient, is really very unhealthy. That's the main reason we see so many people with health issues.

If anyone has Netflix, search for "Food Matters". It's a documentary on how food affects us. Healthy and unhealthy.

Hey Dr. Oz, you might be stressing out too much about what you eat.........

panfan
10-31-2013, 08:13 AM
Merlot

I prefer the Pinot and Cabernets - and I really like ports. Local wineries are doing a lot of mixing as well and these are good.

hollywood
10-31-2013, 10:44 AM
I prefer the Pinot and Cabernets - and I really like ports. Local wineries are doing a lot of mixing as well and these are good.

Good stuff. Lot of good Texas wineries in and around the Hill country. Been to several.

hollywood
10-31-2013, 10:45 AM
Hey Dr. Oz, you might be stressing out too much about what you eat.........

LOL... No not really. I just run it off. ;)

Txbroadcaster
10-31-2013, 11:09 AM
You do not have to give up anything if you just simply eat it in moderation and have a balanced food plan

Manso/V8
10-31-2013, 07:29 PM
LOL... No not really. I just run it off. ;)

That's what I was going to say, with as much as you work out, it doesn't really matter what you eat.