PDA

View Full Version : Live Streaming

D'Highlander
10-29-2013, 06:29 AM
If any random Joe can live stream from their house. How long before we get the Friday night games streamed on the internet? Tie in the radio broadcast... this would be awesome.

SHSBulldog00
10-29-2013, 07:05 AM
If any random Joe can live stream from their house. How long before we get the Friday night games streamed on the internet? Tie in the radio broadcast... this would be awesome.

Are you talking about live video streaming?

The State Championships are done that way already.

D'Highlander
10-29-2013, 07:14 AM
Are you talking about live video streaming?

The State Championships are done that way already.

Yes, I should have been more clear. Video Streaming. The schools could even charge for the service. I would love to catch a Gilmer or Carthage or Argyle game without having to drive the 400 miles round trip...

SHSBulldog00
10-29-2013, 07:28 AM
Yes, I should have been more clear. Video Streaming. The schools could even charge for the service. I would love to catch a Gilmer or Carthage or Argyle game without having to drive the 400 miles round trip...

It can be done but only a select few schools would possibly do it. Also depending on equip/bandwith issues the picture/sound quality would vary.

D'Highlander
10-29-2013, 07:49 AM
It can be done but only a select few schools would possibly do it. Also depending on equip/bandwith issues the picture/sound quality would vary.

I am just saying the technology is there... This is freaking 2013 already... we are supposed to be getting around in flying cars by now.

oldtownag
10-29-2013, 08:42 AM
Currently against UIL rules I believe.

Manso/V8
10-29-2013, 09:38 AM
Currently against UIL rules I believe.

I know there is a rule against live video for playoff games. In our region final against Port Isabel last year, two RGV stations had live audio during the game, and one hour after the game was over, they made the audio and video stream available. I believe the rule say no live video unless the game is sold out X number of days before kickoff.

Manso/V8
10-29-2013, 09:40 AM

A lot of small colleges video stream and archive athletic events.

D'Highlander
10-29-2013, 09:54 AM
I know there is a rule against live video for playoff games. In our region final against Port Isabel last year, two RGV stations had live audio during the game, and one hour after the game was over, they made the audio and video stream available. I believe the rule say no live video unless the game is sold out X number of days before kickoff.

I understand... but to me that is a stupid rule.

Matthew328
10-29-2013, 10:32 AM
Its a rule put in place to protect the schools, many small towns depend on revenue generated from football games to sustain athletic programs...by offering live streams you could potentially take away from the gate. I hope this rule is never taken off the books.

If a school is found to live stream games Friday night they are subject to disciplinary actions..a school got away with it for about 2 weeks and the UIL caught wind of it and shut it down

D'Highlander
10-29-2013, 10:39 AM
Its a rule put in place to protect the schools, many small towns depend on revenue generated from football games to sustain athletic programs...by offering live streams you could potentially take away from the gate. I hope this rule is never taken off the books.

If a school is found to live stream games Friday night they are subject to disciplinary actions..a school got away with it for about 2 weeks and the UIL caught wind of it and shut it down

If its merely about revenue then charge to view the stream.

Matthew328
10-29-2013, 10:47 AM
It's not something the UIL wants to get into basically.

Aesculus gilmus
10-29-2013, 10:48 AM

Was it Lake Dallas? I've watched their games live on Friday night before.

This is picky, I know, but it should be "school districts" rather than "towns" there. Towns don't sustain anything to do with football. The ISDs do. And I know you know that. The reason this matters to me right now is that our SCHOOL DISTRICT, which does INCLUDE Gilmer obviously, but is actually a territory encompassing about one-third of Upshur County, is trying to pass a $36 million bond issue to build a new high school and a couple of other things.

Many of the people advocating a 'no' vote (and, being a natural-born pessimist and also an observer of how strong the tea party is here, I think they'll vote it down) keep talking about how Gilmer is a stagnant town with no industry and thus can't afford "nice things" like this. While this is somewhat true, they fail to acknowledge that the tax base of the district is WAY MORE than just little old poor pathetic Gilmer.

Matthew328
10-29-2013, 10:51 AM
agree 100%

carter08
10-29-2013, 12:33 PM
I know a lot of streaming places have territorial restrictions-- I wonder if there could be a future where high school games are available to areas that are, say, 100+ miles away from the location the game is being held at?