Burkburnett 0-2

Week 9
Graham (2-0) at WFH (2-1)
IP (0-2) at Burkburnett (0-2)

Week 10
Burkburnett (0-2) at Graham (2-0)
Vernon (2-1) at IP (0-2)

Cool, thanks D'Highlander.

That pretty much sums it all up.. loser of Iowa Park and Burkburnett game starts bball in a couple of weeks. IP wins, it'll be Hirschi and Graham going DI, Vernon and Iowa Park going DII. Otherwise, it'll be Hirschi and Burkburnett going DI, Graham and Vernon in DII.

D'Highlander
10-28-2013, 09:39 AM
Maybe the IP v BB should be the game of the week. Big implications for Region 1

Deuce
10-28-2013, 10:02 AM
Maybe the IP v BB should be the game of the week. Big implications for Region 1

Probably wouldn't get much action in the way of posts, but all of region 1 will be following the score of this game very closely!

D'Highlander
10-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Probably wouldn't get much action in the way of posts, but all of region 1 will be following the score of this game very closely!

If Graham goes D1 then that is a round two matchup with Stephenville right? Assuming Graham wins Friday and both teams win in round 1

Slick50
10-28-2013, 10:23 AM
If Graham goes D1 then that is a round two matchup with Stephenville right? Assuming Graham wins Friday and both teams win in round 1

that is right

hollywood
10-28-2013, 10:30 AM
I would be surprised if Park wins especially being @ Burk. But, if they do, then a 2nd round match up for Stephenville/Graham would most likely happen. Poor Graham, I bet they are pulling for Burk like they never have before. ;) We haven't heard much talk out of the Steers lately. They must be getting a little worried. :evilgrin: :D

Anyone else think this game would be played in Mineral Wells if it happens?

Rattler
10-28-2013, 10:52 AM
Kids are ready for either path... Most want to knock out the current state champ in round two.:vrycnfsd:

D'Highlander
10-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Kids are ready for either path... Most want to knock out the current state champ in round two.:vrycnfsd:

Has anyone seen both Graham and Stephenville play this year in person? Comparison?

hollywood
10-28-2013, 01:43 PM
Has anyone seen both Graham and Stephenville play this year in person? Comparison?

Nope. Before I get bashed on this, I will say Graham is very talented again this season. They have some very good skilled players that returned this season from the semi finalist team. But I don't "think" they are quite as strong as they were last season. Still a very solid team. I could be wrong and I'm sure I'll hear it from the Graham faithful. Difference, OL/DL. Same QB, RB in know... and some defensive personell who have all gotten better of course, but as a team, close to the same level but not quite the level of last years team IMO. They will have to prove me wrong. ;)

Stephenville is looking to be on par with last years team as far as level of play. OL/DL have been very solid the past few weeks. Better ground game and not quite as good of passing game but still well above average for 3A. Mainly due to more inexperienced but very talented QB and inexperienced WR's. But the RB's, TE, QB, and Slot receiver can run the ball very well. Averages out IMO.

Grahamcheerdad
10-28-2013, 02:56 PM
To be the best you must beat the best so it really doesnt matter which way they go

Slick50
10-28-2013, 03:08 PM
To be the best you must beat the best so it really doesnt matter which way they go
Thats true. Gonna have to prolly end up having to beat Gilmer in D2 and Ville and Argyle in D1 to make it to the ship. Gonna be tough either way.

hollywood
10-28-2013, 08:39 PM
Thats true. Gonna have to prolly end up having to beat Gilmer in D2 and Ville and Argyle in D1 to make it to the ship. Gonna be tough either way.

It's gonna be challenging to say the least for any team. I'm planning a trip out East for the 11/8 showdown in Dist 16... Gilmer @ Kilgore! This should be a great game, atmosphere and for the DC. I'll get to see up close and in person what's coming out of the East in DI and DII.

Ville-D
10-28-2013, 09:13 PM
So this game decides whether Graham is going to win State at the D1 or D2 level... :1popcorn:

toddg
10-28-2013, 09:16 PM
It's gonna be challenging to say the least for any team. I'm planning a trip out East for the 11/8 showdown in Dist 16... Gilmer @ Kilgore! This should be a great game, atmosphere and for the DC. I'll get to see up close and in person what's coming out of the East in DI and DII.

I thought you were going to the Alvarado/Venus game!!!

hollywood
10-28-2013, 09:47 PM
So this game decides whether Graham is going to win State at the D1 or D2 level... :1popcorn:

:spitlol:

hollywood
10-28-2013, 09:49 PM
I thought you were going to the Alvarado/Venus game!!!

Wellllllll.... After a long hard debate with myself, me thinks the Gilmer/Kikgore game may be a slight notch above the Avarillo/Vanessa game. Yep

:D

toddg
10-28-2013, 10:04 PM
I actually think Graham is very capable of winning a match up with Stephenville.. When's the last time the jackets have had to cover the whole field defensively? They will have to against the steers.. And the steers do play fast on defense.. So this would be a very good game IMO..

hollywood
10-28-2013, 10:22 PM
I actually think Graham is very capable of winning a match up with Stephenville.. When's the last time the jackets have had to cover the whole field defensively? They will have to against the steers.. And the steers do play fast on defense.. So this would be a very good game IMO..

Really? :vrycnfsd:

D'Highlander
10-29-2013, 06:10 AM
Really? :vrycnfsd:

he is just saying that cause you wont go to the game with him...

Deuce
10-29-2013, 08:20 AM
Yep, that time of year for all of region 1 except Stephenville to start airing up the basketballs according to Rocket. I mean Hollywood. Lmao!

hollywood
10-29-2013, 08:27 AM
Yep, that time of year for all of region 1 except Stephenville to start airing up the basketballs according to Rocket. I mean Hollywood. Lmao!

LOL!!! :D

Hey, you know, I haven't talked to that cat in a while. But I do miss him. :(

Cheers Rocket, where ever you are out there lil buddy. :wave:

Yeah, you just wait Deuce... Stephenville has so many weapons. You best hope Graham doesn't have to play Stephenville. They will destroy any 3A team out there! Remember this is 3A football. Reg 1, Reg 2, Reg 3, Reg 4... it doesn't matter. Stephenville is used to playing 4A's and 5A's. This is a cake walk! :D

Deuce
10-29-2013, 08:30 AM

Yeah, you just wait Deuce... Stephenville has so many weapons. You best hope Graham doesn't have to play Stephenville. They will destroy any 3A team out there! Remember this is 3A football. Reg 1, Reg 2, Reg 3, Reg 4... it doesn't matter. Stephenville is used to playing 4A's and 5A's. This is a cake walk! :D

Yep, Rocket hacked Jacketwoods acct!

toddg
10-29-2013, 03:03 PM

didnt look used to playing 4A's in week 1...thank God ya'll aint 4A anymore..a 2nd round matchup with Aledo would have sucked this year huh?

GrTigers6
10-29-2013, 03:31 PM

Just out of curiosity how many players on this years team have played a 4a team other than the two on the schedule?

Rattler
10-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Torin Halsey/Times Record News

The Bulldogs feel like they’re making improvements but wins have escaped them.

In District 5-3A the Bulldogs are 2-0 in the first halves against Hirschi and Vernon, but 0-2 when it really counted at the end of the second half. They get another chance to remedy some little things on Friday night when they host Iowa Park in a game for fourth place and a playoff spot.

The Bulldogs are 3-5 overall and 0-2 in district, but coach Scott Boswell isn’t discouraged.

“I think we just keep getting better at offense and defense,” Boswell said. “We’ve had a few of the little things, coverages on pass plays or a fumble where we’re trying to gain more yards. We got to find a way to make sure we don’t mess up the little things.

“Would, shoulda, coulda ... we very easily could be 6-2 right now. We lose to Decatur in the last 17 seconds, lose to Hirschi in the last 38 seconds and shut the Vernon run game down. We’re right there.”

The Hawks (4-4, 0-2) haven’t had close calls in district on the final scoreboard, but like Burk, they were in the game with Hirschi until the fourth quarter. Iowa Park lost 24-21 at home against Burkburnett last year in a similar situation and would like to turn the tables at Bulldog Stadium.

The Hawks’ defense was ahead of the offense early in the season, but the attack was balanced a week ago with 249 yards rushing and another 150 passing.

“I thought we played pretty good the whole time,” Iowa Park coach Scott Ponder said. “Hirschi was pretty tremendous.

“We’ve had some confidence all year, played pretty well except in the Decatur game.”

Some outsiders thought three was one too many playoff teams in 2012, but this year it looks like there are five good teams in the district with one about to get left out.

“This year our district is extremely strong,” Ponder said. “And it could stay that way. Everyone is on an upswing. It’s going to be interesting, and teams that get in have a chance to represent our district very well.”

Ponder expects another Burk-IP game down to the wire.

“It’ll be a great ballgame, a shootout,” Ponder said. “They’re dangerous offensively. They can get the ball and keep it away from you. And they’ll be the first option football team we’ve seen all year, which is completely scary.”

Ponder said a guy who may be under the radar and is doing a great job is Bulldogs quarterback Bryan Lewis. Lewis has passed for 802 yards and eight touchdowns while rushing for 646 rushing yards and 11 TDs.

“He does a good job running the ball and converting third downs. He’s a good quarterback,” Ponder said.

Hawks quarterback Derrick Ponder has 1,321 yards and 14 passing touchdowns. Kelly Houston (392 yards, 2 TDs) and Dakota Schweiger (391, 5 TDs) lead the running game.

HIRSCHI ENDS DROUGHT

With its playoff spot already wrapped up, Hirschi (7-2, 2-1) heads into its season finale against No. 4 Graham with a slice of the District 5-3A title still attainable with an upset.

Regardless of how that Halloween matchup turns out, Husky coach Cody Slater was proud of his team for pulling out another close district game and for all it has accomplished so far in 2013. The postseason berth was Hirschi’s first since 2006.

“Our kids, these seniors are a big reason for our success this year. They set a bunch of goals at the first of the season about restoring the tradition back here at Hirschi,” Slater said. “I feel like they’ve done that with seven wins so far. Hopefully we can find an eighth win out there Thursday night.”

SEEDING AT STAKE

Not only will Burkburnett-Iowa Park decide the final playoff 5-3A playoff spot, but it’ll also determine which division No. 4 Graham will land in.

A win by the Hawks bumps Graham into Division I. If the Steers beat Hirschi on Thursday to clinch the district title, Graham (8-0, 2-0) will also be the top Division I seed, setting up a likely second-round matchup against defending state champion Stephenville.

A win by the Bulldogs over Iowa Park will put both Burkburnett and Hirschi in the Division I bracket, giving the Huskies the top seed and a potential meeting with the Yellow Jackets.

Vernon (7-2, 2-1), which goes on a bye this week, will be in Division II no matter what.

DISTRICT 6-3A SHAPING UP

There are still a lot of scenarios for neighboring District 6-3A, but it looks like the two toughest teams will land in the Division I bracket. Kennedale (4-4, 3-0) and Springtown (3-5, 2-1) are likely to finish in the top two spots, especially after the Porcupines handed Lake Worth its first district loss Friday, 49-7.

Mineral Wells (1-7, 1-2) is the biggest school in the district, but the Rams face the best two teams last. A district-opening 24-21 loss to Fort Worth Castleberry will likely cost Mineral Wells a playoff berth.

With winless Diamond Hill-Jarvis out of the mix, the two Division II representatives are likely going to be Lake Worth (5-3, 2-1) and Castleberry (3-5, 1-2). Their Week 10 matchup should determine who gets the top Division II seed.

hollywood
10-30-2013, 01:14 PM
Just out of curiosity how many players on this years team have played a 4a team other than the two on the schedule?

Several at the varsity level
Most at the subvarsity level

and that's 4A and 5A

hollywood
10-30-2013, 01:23 PM
“This year our district is extremely strong,” Ponder said. “And it could stay that way. Everyone is on an upswing. It’s going to be interesting, and teams that get in have a chance to represent our district very well.”

Extremely strong?? Graham is the only solid team in Dist 5. Doesn't mean the others are extremely strong. lol

GrTigers6
10-30-2013, 03:05 PM
Several at the varsity level
Most at the subvarsity level

and that's 4A and 5Aoh Ok I haven't kept up with the schedules since my son graduated lol

hollywood
10-30-2013, 03:18 PM
didnt look used to playing 4A's in week 1...thank God ya'll aint 4A anymore..a 2nd round matchup with Aledo would have sucked this year huh?

Maybe, maybe not. ;) Stephenville is much improved and well oiled than they were in week 1. Like I've said before, Aledo looked to be in playoff form in week 1 and Stephenville looked to be rusty as expected with the inexperience being the key factor. Talent wise, it was there from the beginning. Just a matter of gaining experience and confidence. Aledo would more than likely win a late season match up, but it wouldn't be to the effect of 56-14. It would be much closer IMO.