PDA

View Full Version : La Grange(7-0) @ Yoakum(3-4)

Pudlugger
10-26-2013, 07:57 AM
Both teams come off games in which they have struggled. The Leps got by a determined Giddings team 20-14 last night while the Bulldogs lost a heart breaker to Gonzales 23-11. Yoakum is going to be especially tough now playing in their home field and with this game the best shot they have for at least a piece of the District Championship. Will the Bulldogs bounce back and stop the Leps or will La Grange find its footing once again and roll to 8-0?

YTBulldogs
10-26-2013, 09:54 AM
We always put ourselves in this situation, Must win, final week. Stinks. Unlike last year, SV is not able to provide help to us.

Regards to this one, there is LG then the rest.

Dog_e_styl
10-26-2013, 11:06 AM
Our passing scares no one. Not reliable/consistent enough force teams to move their defenders out of the box. Especially as we play these quality opponents down the stretch. No secret and it's expected, what player all eye's are on.

Hall averaged a first down per carry last night. Not sure why he ran it so few times.

Pudlugger
10-26-2013, 09:19 PM
OKAY, so yall are going to go on and on about how miserable and pathetic yall are right up until game day and hope yall catch the Leps snoozin'. Well it ain't goin' to work. We know what you're up to YT & Dog-e.:D

YTBulldogs
10-26-2013, 10:20 PM
Truth be known Pud. This Yoakum team makes me nauseated. LOL. I'm clueless which will show up on a Friday night. Can't figure this one out. Never have seen that excitement during the week from the guy's, on a team that knows, we are about to kick some ass, period. I could of miss judged by a year. We'll have to fight to make the playoffs now. Do the players want it, is the question?

Pudlugger
10-27-2013, 10:15 AM
The Yoakum Bulldogs' backs are up against the wall. As we found out against Giddings, this is a very dangerous situation. Leps better come to play.

hookandladder
10-27-2013, 10:36 AM
I think LG found out losing our Senior OL was a huge hit on our running game against teams with a decent front four and now with his backup out , it will be a major spot to work on this week before the Yoakum game. Each week from now on we will be playing teams with better D's, definitely an area of concern. As for Yoakum just like last year, you just never know which team will show up. Our D will need to step up again big time at their house, hopefully our offense will get more touches this week. The key like last season is for our offense is to maintain long drives to eat the clock up against teams that have explosive play makers, I see another hard fought game here. Another game I will have to miss , it's on to the playoffs for Blinn next week. Leps by 10.

Pudlugger
10-27-2013, 12:46 PM
It was tough to lose those two offensive tackles, the starter then the backup. Hopefully they will be back before the Leps finish their run this year. I think we will be all right as far as depth is concerned as #60 gets more playing time and used to the blocking schemes. He looked good the other night and will only get better. I think the biggest factor that slowed the running game was the fact that Giddings had 8 men in the box jamming the gaps and blitzing. If we had taken advantage of this by throwing quick over the middle routes and running a screen pass now and then it might have been different. Just persisting in pounding the ball between tackles in this case seemed non-productive. With the speed we have in the backfield a few pitch outs wide to #5 Hutchison would be nice as well. I would also like to see them get the ball out to #22 Dobbins in the flat or on a bubble screen to take advantage of his natural athleticism and speed. Our offense was plain vanilla against Giddings. Hopefully the coach will dig a little deeper into the play book now as we begin facing tougher competition. Yoakum, Cuero then a D26 play off opponent lie ahead all tough teams.

hookandladder
10-27-2013, 02:18 PM
If we played this type of game in the first round , it will be one and done again. Pretty sure Giddings took Columbus game plan on defense against us and it worked, we better learn to make adjustments on offense because Bellville and EC defenses are definitely as good or better then Giddings.

Pudlugger
10-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Dang tootin' Hook, we need to make adjustments. I was surprised when the Leps came out in the 2nd half Friday and basically kept running the same three or four plays. With all the weapons we have there is no excuse for not taking advantage of the lack of coverage over the middle last Friday. And get the ball to #22 Dobbins for goodness sake's he's one of the best we've had in years. That kid makes things happen.

hookandladder
10-27-2013, 04:07 PM
Dang tootin' Hook, we need to make adjustments. I was surprised when the Leps came out in the 2nd half Friday and basically kept running the same three or four plays. With all the weapons we have there is no excuse for not taking advantage of the lack of coverage over the middle last Friday. And get the ball to #22 Dobbins for goodness sake's he's one of the best we've had in years. That kid makes things happen.

Sounds like LG's offensive game plan was same one we used against Smithville three years ago, you have to make adjustment at half if it anit working. To many weapons this year to keep running the same plays all night, I guess we did not want to show to much this early.

speedbump
10-27-2013, 05:09 PM
If we played this type of game in the first round , it will be one and done again. Pretty sure Giddings took Columbus game plan on defense against us and it worked, we better learn to make adjustments on offense because Bellville and EC defenses are definitely as good or better then Giddings.

You will play Wharton or Sealy in round one.

Pudlugger
10-27-2013, 05:13 PM
Well we need to show enough to get through the district play as Champion to get the best seed in round 1. Right now with Sealy beating Columbus we'll get Wharton 'cause I think Giddings will win out to get the 2nd D1 spot with GZ the first D1 spot. LG and Cuero will go D2. LG needs to win out.

hookandladder
10-27-2013, 05:16 PM
You will play Wharton or Sealy in round one.

How you figure , I see La Grange D-1 . So you are picking Giddings over Yoakum , it is at Giddings so it is possible but still a lot of possibilities out there in our District.

Pudlugger
10-27-2013, 05:29 PM
Hook, I think Giddings is playing great football now and due for a breakout game. they have Smithville next week which should give them plenty of momentum towards getting the win for district at home. I think we'll go D2 since Sealy looks like they have the D2R sowed up. That means we'll likely play Wharton. Fine by me. We should match up very favorably against the Wharton Tigers.

bd62
10-27-2013, 06:31 PM
Well we need to show enough to get through the district play as Champion to get the best seed in round 1. Right now with Sealy beating Columbus we'll get Wharton 'cause I think Giddings will win out to get the 2nd D1 spot with GZ the first D1 spot. LG and Cuero will go D2. LG needs to win out.

If Giddings wins out they will be 2-3. It's possible that Yoakum and Cuero
will be 2-3 also. Then I guess point spread will decide last 2 seeds. Hope
it don't happen that way but it's possible. Rather see outright winners

1stnurseryman
10-27-2013, 07:47 PM
Point spread don't decide 2way tie it's always been head to head for as I know

speedbump
10-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Point spread don't decide 2way tie it's always been head to head for as I know

But, Cuero, Giddings and Yoakum is a three way tie.

1stnurseryman
10-27-2013, 08:08 PM
But, Cuero, Giddings and Yoakum is a three way tie.

And once the 3 way tie is broke ur down to a two way tie pretty simple math!!!

speedbump
10-27-2013, 08:24 PM
And once the 3 way tie is broke ur down to a two way tie pretty simple math!!!

Why bother with the points at all if it only affects one team? Might as well flip a coin and then go to head to head.

1stnurseryman
10-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Why bother with the points at all if it only affects one team? Might as well flip a coin and then go to head to head.

1st time Cuero made it to the State Game they were in a 3 way tie for district.. If I'm not mistaken they won 3 coin flips that day... It was just their day!!

1stnurseryman
10-27-2013, 08:32 PM

My senior year we were in a 3 way tie for district it was decided by point spread.. We were 9-1 and had to stay home hell that still stings!!

speedbump
10-27-2013, 08:34 PM
The way it stands now Cuero is (-17) Giddings (-4) and Yoakum (+21) If they use points Giddings would have to beat Yoakum by 25. Does anybody know for sure how D26 will do it?

YTBulldogs
10-27-2013, 08:43 PM
The way it stands now Cuero is (-17) Giddings (-4) and Yoakum (+21) If they use points Giddings would have to beat Yoakum by 25. Does anybody know for sure how D26 will do it?

That is correct for a 3-way tie sb. Two way tie, of course it's head to head.

1stnurseryman
10-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Don't remember the exact number but there is a cutoff on the spread points ( supposedly keeps a team from running up points) and I want to say it's 24... This came into play in the Cuero Gonzales game last year thats y Cuero took foot off gas at end of game. Unfurnately I think this is going to be a lot closer this year.

YTBulldogs
10-27-2013, 08:47 PM
and I want to say it's 24...

it's 18 max. 18 min.

1stnurseryman
10-27-2013, 08:50 PM
it's 18 max.
Then that makes it pretty tuff on Giddings in a 3 way tie..

YTBulldogs
10-27-2013, 08:57 PM
The way it stands now Cuero is (-17) Giddings (-4) and Yoakum (+21)

Here is the current points for these 3 teams listed above.

Cuero -14
Yoakum +18 (max is 18)
Giddings -4

YTBulldogs
10-27-2013, 08:59 PM
Then that makes it pretty tuff on Giddings in a 3 way tie..

Depends.

YTBulldogs
10-27-2013, 09:00 PM
Just win and in. We can only control us. :wave:

We still want that district title.

speedbump
10-27-2013, 09:01 PM
I'm getting a headache. Cuero or Yoakum winning this week would cure it. Get to it folks.

YTBulldogs
10-27-2013, 09:07 PM
I'm getting a headache. Cuero or Yoakum winning this week would cure it. Get to it folks.

LOL. I agree. It's kinda confusing. Lot's of things can happen still. Long way from deciding who is in, or at least their position. LG only one with their playoff ticket punched. Three wins, and your in for sure.

Dog_e_styl
10-27-2013, 09:54 PM
Screw all of this 3-way tie BS. Just freaking play to your ability Dogs. Win district and all of this takes care of itself. Should be undefeated this year. No more excuses. Play the game. It's show time. Reel off a half dozen wins in a row now and let's see where that get's us. All this chatter about a 3-way tie is meaningless, unless you plan to lose another game. Stop playing down. You have more talent than any team in region. Use it.

YTBulldogs
10-27-2013, 09:57 PM
Can't disagree with ya Dog. But, my day of predicting which Dog team will show on Friday's are over. I'm clueless. They can beat anyone, or lose to anyone. It's up to them which outcome. Period.

gtownfan
10-28-2013, 01:35 PM
Hook, I think Giddings is playing great football now and due for a breakout game. they have Smithville next week which should give them plenty of momentum towards getting the win for district at home. I think we'll go D2 since Sealy looks like they have the D2R sowed up. That means we'll likely play Wharton. Fine by me. We should match up very favorably against the Wharton Tigers.

If the Buffs and Leps win out and Cuero beats Gonzales, then the Buffs would take the second D1 spot with the Buffs holding the tie breaker over the Bulldogs. Doubt the Buffs could win any tie breakers based on score.

buff4ever
10-28-2013, 01:50 PM
obviously I am pulling for LG here. No hard feelings bulldogs, it is what it is.

I think that LG experienced and eye opener the other night, and will have a great week of practice and get after that bulldog arse.

buff4ever
10-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Now I may have to avoid this thread for a few days, because the two most pudlike posters on this entire board are Pud himself and the YTbulldogs. There will be enough inspirational cheese and motivational whiz to go around for the rest of the district's players to not read on here.

1st and goal
10-28-2013, 07:46 PM
I'll bring some ritz crackers.

Pudlugger
10-28-2013, 08:13 PM
obviously I am pulling for LG here. No hard feelings bulldogs, it is what it is.

I think that LG experienced and eye opener the other night, and will have a great week of practice and get after that bulldog arse.

I think the Leps had to dig down deep to get the win over Giddings, an opponent that was playing at or above their ability and executing a well thought out game plan. It will be a good learning experience going into the tough schedule ahead. It was apparent that our game plan was very conservative and relied too much on running the ball between the tackles. Giddings stacked the box and did a pretty decent job of defensing the run in the middle. I am certain Yoakum will try the same Friday but hopefully the Coaches will have made the necessary adjustments by then. I see Giddings winning the next two games and making a run for a playoff spot. Much can happen so it is all still very fluid in d26.

hookandladder
10-28-2013, 08:39 PM
After hearing some things before the Giddings game I think LG players definitely came in overconfident , just the opposite of last year. This years LG team has a chance to do well however they are not that good where they can roll over teams without playing their A game, if they do not get their head back on straight it will be a short run in the playoffs. The OL which was a bright spot this year still needs to find someone to pick up the slack for our injured Senior who most likely is done for the year, we must be able to run the ball to be successful. I think this weeks game will tell a lot about this years team, we need to play like we did against Gonzales and leave no doubt who the best team is on Friday night.

Pudlugger
10-28-2013, 08:53 PM
I agree hook. The Leps need to pour on the steam Friday and get their groove back.

On another note, with El Campos star rb and MLb Flagg out with a broken ankle The Ricebirds will have trouble winning out against Sealy and Columbus. If Columbus beats EC they will go D2 as R and Wharton D2 as W with Bellville and Sealy vying for D1 W&R in week 10.:vrycnfsd:

Pudlugger
10-29-2013, 04:10 PM

That game was definitely a wake up call. The Leps need to make some adjustments and break in a new offensive lineman after the injury to one of our senior starters but that was two games ago and improvement has been steady. By Friday the coaches will have the team pumped up and chomping on the bit. The Leps have been very good on the road so HFA is not going to be a factor. Padilla has the Leps by +13 which sounds about right.

Dog_e_styl
10-30-2013, 04:33 AM
I see Yoakum finishing strong next two weeks, move on into playoffs.

Yoakum 40
LG 27

Pudlugger
10-30-2013, 05:36 AM
Time for the Leps to put on the game face and get the win. Man up for a hard fought game as Yoakum has their backs against the wall and are coming out fighting. Keep it going Leps.

buff4ever
10-30-2013, 09:04 AM
I see Yoakum finishing strong next two weeks, move on into playoffs.

Yoakum 40
LG 27

Doesn't hurt to dream big. Or pump up your kids confidence through something they probably don't read.

I don't see this happening.

29-3aFAN
10-30-2013, 01:18 PM
I see another close, exciting game like last year but different outcome. Yoakum by 3

zebrablue2
10-30-2013, 07:32 PM
Leps by 2 scores, good luck to both teams...

Dog_e_styl
10-30-2013, 10:17 PM
Yoakum has their backs against the wall and

Back against the wall? Think you might have us confused with a couple other teams. Maybe to win the title as we want, if that's what your referring to? I'll agree there. Lot's of ball left.

And buff, only assholes like you and I read this crap. So, no need to pump the boys up.

YTBulldogs
10-30-2013, 10:28 PM
Love how you don't sugarcoat things Dog. LOL.

Good luck both teams. Soft turf conditions are very nice. I see a back in forth affair,

28-27.

buff4ever
10-30-2013, 11:22 PM
Back against the wall? Think you might have us confused with a couple other teams. Maybe to win the title as we want, if that's what your referring to? I'll agree there. Lot's of ball left.

And buff, only assholes like you and I read this crap. So, no need to pump the boys up.

I know man. that is what o have been preaching to these guys for years.

Pudlugger
10-31-2013, 05:47 PM
How's the field down in Yoakum after the storm? Bet it 's going to be a mud hole after tomorrow night.

bd62
10-31-2013, 06:42 PM
How's the field down in Yoakum after the storm? Bet it 's going to be a mud hole after tomorrow night.

No Mud Hole on that field. The field was ok when Yoakum played Cuero in a heavy downpour and lots
More rain than this week

GU_81
10-31-2013, 06:55 PM
Lonestar Football Network Game Simulations:

WEATHER CONDITIONS = Clear
La Grange 2 Yoakum 0
Game Recap- In one of the best matchups in recent history, the 2013 La Grange Leopards squeeked by the 2013 Yoakum Bulldogs. The fans were one their feet in the final seconds as the 2013 La Grange Leopards scored in the final seconds of the game. Fans from both teams were glad to have the opportunity to watch such a great game. This was an unusually low scoring contest.

ANY OTHER WEATHER CONDITIONS = rain, flood, snow, blizzard, earthquake, high winds, sandstorm, tornado, or nuclear holocaust
Yoakum 6 La Grange 0

Pudlugger
10-31-2013, 08:24 PM
No Mud Hole on that field. The field was ok when Yoakum played Cuero in a heavy downpour and lots
More rain than this week

Good. The leps don't mind a little wet. They beat SV 63-13 in the rain.

YTBulldogs
10-31-2013, 08:27 PM
Fields in perfect shape. Safe travels.

Pudlugger
11-01-2013, 06:38 AM
Game day. Leps playing for District Championship tonight. Go Leps!

YTBulldogs
11-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Game day. Leps playing for District Championship tonight. Go Leps!

Game Day. Dogs playing for a district championship at home tonight. Gonna be wild.

hookandladder
11-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Looks like I will be able to make this game after all, Gotta go with my Leps. After getting a wakeup call last week, I feel my Leps will respond with a convincing win. Leps 42-14.

YTBulldogs
11-01-2013, 02:42 PM
Looks like I will be able to make this game after all, Gotta go with my Leps. After getting a wakeup call last week, I feel my Leps will respond with a convincing win. Leps 42-14.

:tisk: Promise ya it will be closer to my 28-27 prediction H&L.

Dog_e_styl
11-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Leps will respond with a convincing win. Leps 42-14.

"Richard" with ears.:vrycnfsd:

1stnurseryman
11-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Game Day. Dogs playing for a district championship at home tonight. Gonna be wild.

Same here with Gonzales and Cuero... A lot will shake out after tonite.

hookandladder
11-01-2013, 09:19 PM
La Grange 21. Yoakum 0 in the 3rd

hookandladder
11-01-2013, 09:36 PM
La Grange 28. Yoakum 7 early 4th

hookandladder
11-01-2013, 11:24 PM
La Grange 28 Yoakum 7

The Leps end the game at Yoakum 4 yard line with 3 victory formations, overall decent game for the Leps. The OL is still searching for someone to step up , this was one area early in the year that was very solid however with the lost of #58 the OL is just not the same. Also would be nice to see some guys playing a little both ways, I have my worries on defense when we face a team that can run the ball with a good OL. Looks like Giddings and Yoakum gonna battle it out for the last playoff spot, looks like a very even matchup. Gonna be very interesting game, the question is which team will show up for each team.

Pudlugger
11-01-2013, 11:48 PM
Leps dominated the Bulldogs. The Bulldogs tried to stop the run with a 5-3 defense but the Leps burned them on sweeps and passing over the middle. When the middle softened up our running game between the tackles opened up and #3 Filmore and #5 Hutchison got big yardage. A 96 yard KO return by Hutchison was called back for holding:flaming:. Our defense bent a little but never broke holding Yoakum to a single score and a missed FG from the twenty. Coach Kates must have been concerned about a Yoakum parent filing a bullying charge against him for running up the score when he put in the 2nd O and had them take 4 knees with 1st and goal at he 2 with 1:32 left in the game.:D

D26:
LG* 4-0
Cuero* 3-1
GZ 2-2
Yoakum 2-2
Giddings 1-3
SV 0-4

next week:
LG hosts Cuero for District Championship
Giddings hosts Yoakum for a chance at a playoff spot
GZ hosts SV

* clinched a playoff spot

YTBulldogs
11-02-2013, 12:58 AM
Congrats LG. Hope ya'll play it out next week vs. Cuero for the title.

Pudlugger
11-02-2013, 07:14 AM
Congrats LG. Hope ya'll play it out next week vs. Cuero for the title.

Thanks YT, your Bulldogs never gave up. Plenty of fight in them. #9 Tre'Von Hights was all you said he would be. He was very tough to stop as was that hoss #10 TJ Hights. Good luck next week in Giddings. We'll be pulling for yall from here on out. Beating Giddings and getting into the playoffs has to be goal #1 now for the Bulldogs.

hookandladder
11-02-2013, 08:04 AM
"Richard" with ears.:vrycnfsd:

Still not sure what you meant by this comment however I was pretty close on the final score and it was a convincing win.

buff4ever
11-02-2013, 08:38 AM
Thanks YT, your Bulldogs never gave up. Plenty of fight in them. #9 Tre'Von Hights was all you said he would be. He was very tough to stop as was that hoss #10 TJ Hights. Good luck next week in Giddings. We'll be pulling for yall from here on out. Beating Giddings and getting into the playoffs has to be goal #1 now for the Bulldogs.

That's the same thing you said after our game pud. Did you mean it either time?

You are being too pudlike.

Pudlugger
11-02-2013, 08:44 AM
That's the same thing you said after our game pud. Did you mean it either time?

You are being too pudlike.

It has to do with the playoff scenarios. Since Gonzales didn't hold up their end of the stick and gave Cuero a playoff spot the Yoakum-Giddings game determines whether the leps go D1(Yoakum wins) or D2(Giddings wins). I prefer D1 so we can get a shot at El Campo again and Sealy in round one. Nothing personal Buff, it's just business. :D

Pudlugger
11-02-2013, 10:01 AM
BTW I have to mention how well freshman #22 Dobbins played on defense last night. Dobbins is about 5'5" and he was being targeted by the Bulldog OC on pass plays all night. I don't think his Wr made a single catch against his coverage with how he was jumping up and batting away the well thrown footballs one after another. Dobbins is a player and if opposing coaches think he is our weak link in the secondary they are sorely mistaken. But go right ahead and throw against him. If he gets a pic it will be 6 for certain.

speedbump
11-02-2013, 10:52 AM
It has to do with the playoff scenarios. Since Gonzales didn't hold up their end of the stick and gave Cuero a playoff spot the Yoakum-Giddings game determines whether the leps go D1(Yoakum wins) or D2(Giddings wins). I prefer D1 so we can get a shot at El Campo again and Sealy in round one. Nothing personal Buff, it's just business. :D

You wouldn't face the Birds until the Quarter finals. Believe me - if the Ricebirds find enough offense to make it that far you won't like the outcome.

Pudlugger
11-02-2013, 10:58 AM
You wouldn't face the Birds until the Quarter finals. Believe me - if the Ricebirds find enough offense to make it that far you won't like the outcome.

horsefeathers

speedbump
11-02-2013, 11:06 AM
horsefeathers

Zebra spots

Pudlugger
11-02-2013, 11:15 AM
hogs swallop
bilge
twaddle
piffle
flimflam
tommyrot

bd62
11-02-2013, 11:26 AM
The Yoakum-Giddings game will be a toss up. Giddings has been playing good defense in every
Dist game.Yoakum won there first 2 dist games and lost 2 in a row to very good ball teams.
It will decide last playoff spot and whether Lagrange is D1 or D2
Glad it did not come down to positive points to decide playoff spots and can be
decided on field as also dist champs.

bd62
11-02-2013, 11:27 AM
The Yoakum-Giddings game will be a toss up. Giddings has been playing good defense in every
Dist game.Yoakum won there first 2 dist games and lost 2 in a row to very good ball teams.
It will decide last playoff spot and whether Lagrange is D1 or D2
Glad it did not come down to positive points to decide playoff spots and can be
decided on field as also dist champs between Lagrange and Cuero