PDA

View Full Version : Best Players You Have Played Against that didn't go anywhere

Old Tiger
10-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Derek Evans - Cameron Yoe, guy did it all. QB/WR/Safety/Kicking/PUnting

He was 6'4 190 lbs and could fly 4.4-4.5 range.

Second would have to be Tank Johnson from Marlin.

FB-fanatic
10-24-2013, 06:22 PM
So on the Evans kid...does that mean not even a D3 gig?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Old Tiger
10-24-2013, 08:06 PM
So on the Evans kid...does that mean not even a D3 gig?

correct, nothing.

Yoe_09
10-24-2013, 10:14 PM
Evans is still the best WR I have personally seen play for Cameron. He was a huge part of the 05 team, but unfortunately he went out in the playoffs with an injury.

Rocket Man
10-25-2013, 01:42 AM
Ok, let's reach back to the hallowed halls of antiquity.....well maybe not that far back.

Circa 1979 season, Rod Vonner for the West Trojans......he was berry, berry good.

One player I played against in a scrimmage who did go somewhere is Ricky Sanders (Belton), I think he ended up playing for the Washington Redskins.

coach
10-25-2013, 07:22 AM
Jeremey Sanders, Chris Parr, Kyle Lightsey from Fairifield, The QB from Carthage. I dont think he went anywhere.

hollywood
10-25-2013, 09:04 AM
I played against a WR/punter from Stephenville who was very gifted athletically but he just didn't have the desire to seriously pursue athletics after high school. He had good speed was tall and could punt a football to the moon. Probably could have been an NFL punter if he wanted it. I think Poston was his last name.

I played with Keven Green at Brownwood. This guy was a BEAST RB/LB. Moved in from Tyler John Tyler after his freshman year. That summer before our soph year during 2-a-days... he benched 385 lbs as a soph RB/LB! :eek: During the summer after our senior year just before he went to ACU, he benched 500 lbs! :eek: I saw it with my own eyes. Go check any video of the 1990 Stephenville/Brownwood game. #33. He was 5'10" 240 lbs and ran a 4.6 40. Most often carried tacklers, 3-4 at a time 10 yards down field after contact. He and several of us others went both ways on O and D. He got gassed in a lot of games, especially that one. Work horse delux though. He ended up getting a full ride to ACU but got into some trouble and lost his scholarship I heard later.

Someone I did play against who went to the NFL was Skip Hicks from Burkburnett. He was a soph RB in 1990. We played them in the bi-district round after getting beat by Stephenville the week before for the district championship. We played pretty flat unfortunately but Skip Hicks took control of the game in the 4th qtr and ran all over us. Guy was special. He was All-American at UCLA and played for the Washington Redskins.

Deuce
10-25-2013, 09:29 AM
I played against a WR/punter from Stephenville who was very gifted athletically but he just didn't have the desire to seriously pursue athletics after high school. He had good speed was tall and could punt a football to the moon. Probably could have been an NFL punter if he wanted it. I think Poston was his last name.

I played with Keven Green at Brownwood. This guy was a BEAST RB/LB. Moved in from Tyler John Tyler after his freshman year. That summer before our soph year during 2-a-days... he benched 385 lbs as a soph RB/LB! :eek: During the summer after our senior year just before he went to ACU, he benched 500 lbs! :eek: I saw it with my own eyes. Go check any video of the 1990 Stephenville/Brownwood game. #33. He was 5'10" 240 lbs and ran a 4.6 40. Most often carried tacklers, 3-4 at a time 10 yards down field after contact. He and several of us others went both ways on O and D. He got gassed in a lot of games, especially that one. Work horse delux though. He ended up getting a full ride to ACU but got into some trouble and lost his scholarship I heard later.

Someone I did play against who went to the NFL was Skip Hicks from Burkburnett. He was a soph RB in 1990. We played them in the bi-district round after getting beat by Stephenville the week before for the district championship. We played pretty flat unfortunately but Skip Hicks took control of the game in the 4th qtr and ran all over us. Guy was special. He was All-American at UCLA and played for the Washington Redskins.

Jason Poston?

Txbroadcaster
10-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Jeremey Sanders, Chris Parr, Kyle Lightsey from Fairifield, The QB from Carthage. I dont think he went anywhere.

Si Darius Blackshire?

varsity parent
10-25-2013, 09:44 AM

Parr did go somewhere. Wait a minute. Hold on. Does prison count?

hollywood
10-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Jason Poston?

Yep.

coach
10-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Si Darius Blackshire?

No. That short white kid that beat brownwood. He was undersized but the dude could chunk it

hollywood
10-25-2013, 10:13 AM
No. That short white kid that beat brownwood. He was undersized but the dude could chunk it

Yes, he could chunk the rock. On the money too. He also had a blessed WR in Pope. Pun intended. ;)

Aggie98
10-25-2013, 11:09 AM

Anthony Morgan.

refereedoc
10-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Yep.

Still lives in Stephenville and has a couple of kids about 10 or 11 that are a chip off the old block. Look out in 3-4 years.

hollywood
10-25-2013, 11:38 AM
Anthony Morgan.

That's him, he was a gamer.

hollywood
10-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Anthony Morgan.

That's him, he was a gamer. Also the RB Holland... kid was a hoss! He ran for around 300 yards that night. That helped with the passing game for Carthage.

hollywood
10-25-2013, 11:41 AM
Still lives in Stephenville and has a couple of kids about 10 or 11 that are a chip off the old block. Look out in 3-4 years.

Pretty talented! His oldest is a hoss!

Deuce
10-25-2013, 11:50 AM

Is he still coaching? Last time I saw him he was coaching in Springtown for Coach Slaughter, who also coached at Ville.

coach
10-25-2013, 12:10 PM
Anthony Morgan.

Yes, thats it! What is he doing now?

Sweetwater Red
10-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Not sure if this counts as "not going anywhere" but the best football player to come out of Sweetwater and not
play college ball was Kenneth Norman Sr. He was a four star blue chip prospect at DB that could've played at any
football factory in the country and chose baseball instead. He was drafted by the Minnesota Twins right out
of high school and as far as I know never made it out of single A ball. What's crazy is Sweetwater didn't even
have a high school baseball program back then.

...and of course I didn't play against him either as the thread asks.

Celina8
10-25-2013, 12:30 PM
The greatest player in our school to never play beyond High School was ME according to my Mom and Grandmother and so long as you do not do any type of research to confirm this fact then I can continue to claim it as a fact!

coach
10-25-2013, 12:55 PM
The greatest player in our school to never play beyond High School was ME according to my Mom and Grandmother and so long as you do not do any type of research to confirm this fact then I can continue to claim it as a fact!

lol post of the week

thelegend02
10-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Did Sean Carr from Sweetwater go anywhere?

hollywood
10-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Is he still coaching? Last time I saw him he was coaching in Springtown for Coach Slaughter, who also coached at Ville.

Not coaching

Old Tiger
10-25-2013, 02:19 PM

Sanders went to Baylor, Parr went to Penn, lol

FB-fanatic
10-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Ok, let's reach back to the hallowed halls of antiquity.....well maybe not that far back.

Circa 1979 season, Rod Vonner for the West Trojans......he was berry, berry good.

One player I played against in a scrimmage who did go somewhere is Ricky Sanders (Belton), I think he ended up playing for the Washington Redskins.

My brother-in-law is Tommy Bartosh was running back with Vonner. Bartosh was Super Centex Player of the Yerar '77 when there was only one across all classes. Bartosh went on to play at Blinn, but injured very early. His son went on to play for Cleveland Indians.

Rabid Cougar
10-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Didn't play against them but saw them play

Jordan Parcus - Rosebud Lott - QB for RL's State Championship in 2002. Kid was big, had a cannon of an arm, very fast. Was heavily recruited by several D1 programs. Went to A&M as a student.

Jack Rhodes - Cameron- QB for Cameron's 2010 State Finals team. 153 of 222 passing for 2,315 yards, 33 TDs, 7 INTs his Senior year. Could have played at any D1 School.

Yoe_09
10-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Didn't play against them but saw them play

Jordan Parcus - Rosebud Lott - QB for RL's State Championship in 2002. Kid was big, had a cannon of an arm, very fast. Was heavily recruited by several D1 programs. Went to A&M as a student.

Jack Rhodes - Cameron- QB for Cameron's 2010 State Finals team. 153 of 222 passing for 2,315 yards, 33 TDs, 7 INTs his Senior year. Could have played at any D1 School.

Actually, Jack is at Texas State: http://www.txstatebobcats.com/roster.aspx?path=&rp_id=3335

Sweetwater Red
10-25-2013, 03:12 PM
Did Sean Carr from Sweetwater go anywhere?

I believe he went to Navarro JC in Corsicana. I'm not sure what if anything happened after that.

Rabid Cougar
10-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Actually, Jack is at Texas State: http://www.txstatebobcats.com/roster.aspx?path=&rp_id=3335

QB moved to WR... kiss of death.

hollywood
10-25-2013, 04:22 PM
QB moved to WR... kiss of death.

Maybe Tyler Jones is throwing to him.