PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Celina Folks?

Bullaholic
10-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Goodness gracious Bobcat fans---your team is 8-0 and No. 8 in this week's AP rankings. Where's all the buzz? I appreciate fans that keep it real about their team, but in my experience this is very un-Bobcat fan like. Let's see your eyes roll back and go white, your bodies convulse, and sling slobber from your lips while screaming for the Bobcats at the top of your lungs for goodness sake....:D

hollywood
10-22-2013, 02:15 PM
Goodness gracious Bobcat fans---your team is 8-0 and No. 8 in this week's AP rankings. Where's all the buzz? I appreciate fans that keep it real about their team, but in my experience this is very un-Bobcat fan like. Let's see your eyes roll back and go white, your bodies convulse, and sling slobber from your lips while screaming for the Bobcats at the top of your lungs for goodness sake....:D

LOL Bullaholic. Good post.

Well, maybe because there are bigger badder programs in 3A these days? :D

Big Orange isn't the power house they once were. Kills me to say it, but kinda like my alma matar Brownwood. It happens.

marler1972
10-22-2013, 03:40 PM
We are all on the injured reserve list.

Celina8
10-22-2013, 03:49 PM
Yes we are 8-0, but not convinced we are a top 10 team this year. Play has been inconsistant, but we have shown some improvements these last two games. We are a good team but not one that will challenge Argyle, Gilmer, or any other top 7 team in the Rankings. That is just my opinion.

charlesrixey
10-22-2013, 03:52 PM

We are still here-it is really easy to keep it real about your team when they are winning 57 games in a row. Celina fans have learned to keep their mouth shut (mostly) since it has been five years since they went deeper than three rounds.

What the program needs is a big win against a top opponent to gain its confidence back-I have no doubts that the coachng is excellent and the athletes are there; all they need is confidence. In fact, confidence was a big factor in the '08 run, the last time the Bobcats were in the state title game. They had gone 7-3 in the regular season and suffered quite a few lumps, but they came together and ran all the way to Texas Stadium.

The main difference between then and now was that they were coming three straight prior appearances in the title game, including two wins. These last few years there hasn't been a signature win to build off of, and that has been a key when coming up on great teams in the playoffs.

Their defense has struggled, partially because of the advent of different offensive schemes, and partly because of athletes. But a sizable portion of defensive play is mental (setting the tone early, doing the little things well and keeping the pedal to the metal.

With a signature win, or at the very least a couple of shutouts on defense, confidence builds. Until achieving that, these kids just have the spectre of past champions as a weight on their shoulder.

All of this has an effect on fan confidence as well. Celina fans had a tendency to voice opinions, and part of the silence now can be traced back to being forced into humility, lol.

Part of it is geographical - many of the fans (such as myself) don't live in Texas anymore and are more removed from high school football.

If the Bobcats were to beat Argyle in week 10, I can gaurantee the chatter would pick up tremendously. right now, it seems like most fans are watching and waiting. Several times in the last five years the Bobcats have had a great record going into the playoffs and sputtered when hit in the mouth. Confidence plays a big part in a close loss turning into a blowout.

Most of the playoff losses in the last five years have been by big margins; something that was very rare in years past. From 1993 to 2007, the few losses the Bobcats had were relatively close (the 17-0 loss to Italy in 1996 was shocking), so to lose last year to Henderson by 30 is even more so when judged by previous standards. Again, a whole range of factors goes into why the defense gives up more points (everyone is giving up way more points against these spread offenses) but the best teams find a way to get it done and impose their will on defense (see Argyle and their team the last few years).

I believe Celina is one quality, confidence-building win over a good opponent away from a long playoff run. The team wants it, the fans want it, and whether that happens this year or not is yet to be determined. But if it does, I think the Bobcats will show that they aren't as down as most seem to think.

This team has a lot of the pieces; now it just needs to put them together. Only twice in the 8 state title seasons was Celina ever the favorite to win, 2001 (after they had won 49 consecutive games and three titles already) against Garrison, and in 2007 against China Spring. Even when they played Paul Pewitt in '05 after scoring 800 points and allowing less than 100, the majority of state writers picked Paul Pewitt. So for Celina to be under-performing against expectations these last five years has been quite a different thing to get used to for Celina fans, who always had a chip on their shoulder because in many ways every one always assumed that some bigger, badder team would face them and then the streak would be shown to have been less impressive.

That is why fans are still adjusting to the current state of affairs. One big win, I believe, will change that in a hurry.

jason
10-22-2013, 03:57 PM
What the program needs is a big win against a top opponent to gain its confidence back

they could have played stephenville last year and this year...hard to have a 'big win' when you only play slappies...

toddg
10-22-2013, 04:02 PM
WOW!! ^^Good post Charles

charlesrixey
10-22-2013, 04:02 PM
they could have played stephenville last year and this year...hard to have a 'big win' when you only play slappies...

True, but whether or not such a win happens in the regular season or the playoffs, the point is the same: they need a big win.

I agree that they should schedule tougher teams, but we have no control over that. Back when Celina was beating East Texas teams every year in the state title game no one cared about their regular season schedule, so i tend to think the whole scheduling argument is overplayed.

orange machine
10-22-2013, 04:09 PM
The sky is falling!!!

orange machine
10-22-2013, 04:15 PM
Celina is 8-0 but like Celina 8 said there is not enough consistency on the offensive side of the ball. On defense this might be the smallest defense in 3a football. Its the smallest defense I've seen in Celina. When your db's are alm about 5'8 145 lbs its tough to tackle bigger players. The dline is also very small which makes it easier for olines to push them around. The defense plays hard and has a ton of heart, but sometimes that's not enough.

hollywood
10-22-2013, 04:49 PM
Gordon Wood was known for getting his teams prepared mentally and building confidence. Brownwood's early years of winning SC's... had smallish teams. They were scrappy. I know it's a different world in HS football today... but "HEART" has a lot to do with it... i.e confidence. Execution plays another roll... confidence stims from crisp execution which stims from discipline.

refereedoc
10-22-2013, 05:27 PM
We are all on the injured reserve list.

More like PUP list. Unable to perform:weeping:

bobcat1
10-22-2013, 07:19 PM
I have become quieter since the 2007 State title game. That was the year the last of my 4 boys graduated. Special year 16-0.

I haven't seen a game this year yet. I listen a lot on air to by little buddy Mark Kissinger.:2thumbsup I usually wait until playoff time now because I hate blowouts, but I will venture to the land of the Argylians in week 10. I have that circled on my calendar. That is when I will know what Celina is this year. Right now all I know is they play hard and always will. They will wear orange and hit you in the mouth. Size means something for sure but I like heart best. They have speed and some skill players that can take it to the house. The coaches usually have tried everything by playoff time and know who they will use and what they will use when playoff time is here. Celina will make the playoffs, that's when the real season starts.

regaleagle
10-24-2013, 07:01 AM
Well stated bobcat1. The Argyle/Celina game gets both teams mentally prepared for the playoffs regardless of its outcome. It's a whole new season after that game, and suddenly its put up or go home til next season. Neither of our towns wants to see our football season end early. Several rounds deep is almost expected as part of the "normal" football season. Twelve games is our "normal" season...not ten. Anything past twelve is viewed as better than normal, but if it just stops at thirteen it was not great. If if goes to fourteen or fifteen it was very successful. A sixteenth game is what all teams dream of playing. Good luck this season to the Celina Bobcats in Division II. Argyle will go DI unless something weird happens these next two weeks in our District. I look for a closer game this season vs. Celina than last year....even though Argyle is better. Celina is better too. It may not show right now....but thirteen games would be a good season for Celina this year, as with most teams.

Tom Foolery
10-24-2013, 09:08 AM
Last year Celina's only TD came on a fumble return in a home game. Argyle's defense is bad to the bone and even better this year. I don't think it will be any closer than last year unless the Argyle coach takes his foot off the gas.

orange machine
10-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Last year Celina's only TD came on a fumble return in a home game. Argyle's defense is bad to the bone and even better this year. I don't think it will be any closer than last year unless the Argyle coach takes his foot off the gas.

I think your pretty accurate. Celina will have to play like the Celina teams of old and throw all they have at the Eagles.

firstdown
10-24-2013, 03:13 PM
I think your pretty accurate. Celina will have to play like the Celina teams of old and throw all they have at the Eagles.

Regal don't fall for these sandbaggers. Celina is good.... last year was a fluke. I'm just hoping that we make it out without injuries let alone a win. However we have two games to worry about prior to this one, lets keep our sites set on the task at hand, first Lonestar then Aubrey. Both will be a challenge

bobcat1
10-24-2013, 05:49 PM
lets keep our sites set on the task at hand, first Lonestar then Aubrey. Both will be a challenge

This is so laughable.

regaleagle
10-24-2013, 06:30 PM
I've been golfing since I was 10 yrs. old(some 40+ yrs. now), so sandbagging is old hat to me. The best way to deal with sandbaggers is to act very gullable(sandbag back) and tell them how wonderful they are. It's just mental exercise until the game is on, anyways. And it makes for a better competition, too. So I enjoy it...fully realizing what it is and fully complimenting the opponent the whole time. Celina is 8-0 and has a very capable qb in Nathan Elliot....the coach's son, for heaven sakes. They are improving each week with that young team over there. Argyle is "old and decrepid" already, haha, in terms of our youthful exhuberance, lol. We may be forced to play our Sophs if we get behind....just to get the attention of our starters. Heck, they've all played about the same minutes so far. Argyle may have a problem deciding which players to play.....that could be cause for concern. Celina may realize this and exploit this "weakness" of the Eagles. They are very adept at finding an opponents weakness and exploiting it.

bobcat1
10-24-2013, 06:54 PM
I've been golfing since I was 10 yrs. old(some 40+ yrs. now), so sandbagging is old hat to me. The best way to deal with sandbaggers is to act very gullable(sandbag back) and tell them how wonderful they are. It's just mental exercise until the game is on, anyways. And it makes for a better competition, too. So I enjoy it...fully realizing what it is and fully complimenting the opponent the whole time. Celina is 8-0 and has a very capable qb in Nathan Elliot....the coach's son, for heaven sakes. They are improving each week with that young team over there. Argyle is "old and decrepid" already, haha, in terms of our youthful exhuberance, lol. We may be forced to play our Sophs if we get behind....just to get the attention of our starters. Heck, they've all played about the same minutes so far. Argyle may have a problem deciding which players to play.....that could be cause for concern. Celina may realize this and exploit this "weakness" of the Eagles. They are very adept at finding an opponents weakness and exploiting it. You're right and you have been practicing this all season. You're slick but not that slick ol' buddy.

regaleagle
10-24-2013, 06:54 PM
Regal don't fall for these sandbaggers. Celina is good.... last year was a fluke. I'm just hoping that we make it out without injuries let alone a win. However we have two games to worry about prior to this one, lets keep our sites set on the task at hand, first Lonestar then Aubrey. Both will be a challenge

Lone Star is fully capable, as is Aubrey, of pulling off an upset win over any team, Argyle included. Maybe esp. a team like Argyle. This is the time in the schedule where winning teams need to be very careful and not get sloppy. Cleanly played games with very few penalities should be of primary importance. Opponents at this juncture will do whatever is necessary to disrupt the Eagles attack for some kind of advantage. The players need to concentrate on playing as mistake-free as possible now....they will need to do this later in the playoffs to win each week. With each game the possibility of one of our key players being injured(Connor Wilson last season right before Gilmer) becomes a greater threat....another reason to play as many players as possible. Every team we face is gunning to knock us out somehow, that's for sure.

bobcat1
10-24-2013, 06:57 PM
I think Celina may just put it on cruise control with y'all. They have had perfect seasons before. Why would they won't to deprive the Eagles of that type of mark. They have never been perfect yet have they?

regaleagle
10-24-2013, 07:14 PM
Not yet....in football at least. We've had our chances along the way, but for one reason or another have not had our perfect season yet. I firmly believe Argyle has fielded several teams talented enough to win it all and even have a perfect season....it just has not happened yet. That just shows how difficult that task really is. Fortunately, Argyle has experienced lots of playoff success in its short lifespan as a high school, and that helps the ol' learning curve immensely. And there is a learning curve that comes into play....both from a coaching perspective and a players perspective. Having a winning program helps the younger kids to understand early on what kind of commitment is required to be among the best in your classification. Argyle has managed some State Championships in other sports, so that helps as well.

regaleagle
10-24-2013, 07:32 PM
I think Celina may just put it on cruise control with y'all. They have had perfect seasons before. Why would they won't to deprive the Eagles of that type of mark. They have never been perfect yet have they?

I don't think Celina is a capable of "putting it on cruise control" against Argyle, jmo. Over the years, a rivalry has developed between our two schools in most competitions, esp. football. I look for Celina to come into Argyle in Week 10 undefeated and with a huge statement to make. It will probably be the very best game Celina will play to date this season, and they will have their bye week coming into that contest. The Bobcats will be preparing for Argyle for 2 weeks, and will be well-versed on how to best attack our weaknesses. Argyle will need to be ready for the full monty that Celina will bring. A sea of Orange will invade our stadium with what I hope will be a clash of two undefeated football Titans on the Gridiron of Glory that night....and I will make sure I am present for the melee that will unfold. Playoffs or not, this game means much to both teams. Besides, I'm not sure that Celina's buses even have a "cruise control". I know Argyle's doesn't, at least when we're playing teams with the pedigree of Celina.

And I agree with firstdown.....last year's game was a "fluke".

orange machine
10-24-2013, 09:31 PM
I don't think Celina is a capable of "putting it on cruise control" against Argyle, jmo. Over the years, a rivalry has developed between our two schools in most competitions, esp. football. I look for Celina to come into Argyle in Week 10 undefeated and with a huge statement to make. It will probably be the very best game Celina will play to date this season, and they will have their bye week coming into that contest. The Bobcats will be preparing for Argyle for 2 weeks, and will be well-versed on how to best attack our weaknesses. Argyle will need to be ready for the full monty that Celina will bring. A sea of Orange will invade our stadium with what I hope will be a clash of two undefeated football Titans on the Gridiron of Glory that night....and I will make sure I am present for the melee that will unfold. Playoffs or not, this game means much to both teams. Besides, I'm not sure that Celina's buses even have a "cruise control". I know Argyle's doesn't, at least when we're playing teams with the pedigree of Celina.

And I agree with firstdown.....last year's game was a "fluke".

Lol this is getting really funny. I was told Celina is starting their backup players against Argyle so nobody else gets hurt, playing for a deeper run!!:wave:

regaleagle
10-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Lol this is getting really funny. I was told Celina is starting their backup players against Argyle so nobody else gets hurt, playing for a deeper run!!:wave:

You're right Orange.....it's almost bordering on the hysterical now, lol. Let me get a bottle of water and take a big swig on that one, haha.

orange machine
10-24-2013, 09:53 PM
You're right Orange.....it's almost bordering on the hysterical now, lol. Let me get a bottle of water and take a big swig on that one, haha.

You might want something a little stronger.

bobcat1
10-24-2013, 09:54 PM
Sounds like playing up Celina will make Argyle look so much better if the game is a blowout like last year. I get it regaleagle= :evilgrin: Feign humility.:wave:

Celina8
10-25-2013, 05:07 AM
Here is the truth about the Game between Argyle and Celina... Argyle will score on almost every offensive series of the First half just like they have against every team they played this year. Their defense will shut down the bobcats just like they have with every team they have played this year. The key for the bobcats on offense will be First down play...we need to gain 4 yards or more on First down which will allow us to mix things up much better on second and third down play.

The bobcats do have speed, but Argyle matches that speed and they are bigger and stronger. Regal and the other Argyle fans are not really concerned about the bobcats. In fact they do expect a blow out. If they game is close then you will feel the panic shock wave all the way to Stephenville from the folks in Argyle. Don't worry though it will not be close. Love my bobcats, but Argyle has a Championship team this year and even though we are a good team Argyle is playing at a much higher level and their fans know this. Argyle will be up by 21 or more points by half time and by the end of the game the score will most likely be 40 or more points difference ...pretty much like last year. I just want our boys to come out healthy and be ready for the second season (playoffs).

marler1972
10-25-2013, 05:37 PM
Here is the truth about the Game between Argyle and Celina... Argyle will score on almost every offensive series of the First half just like they have against every team they played this year. Their defense will shut down the bobcats just like they have with every team they have played this year. The key for the bobcats on offense will be First down play...we need to gain 4 yards or more on First down which will allow us to mix things up much better on second and third down play.

The bobcats do have speed, but Argyle matches that speed and they are bigger and stronger. Regal and the other Argyle fans are not really concerned about the bobcats. In fact they do expect a blow out. If they game is close then you will feel the panic shock wave all the way to Stephenville from the folks in Argyle. Don't worry though it will not be close. Love my bobcats, but Argyle has a Championship team this year and even though we are a good team Argyle is playing at a much higher level and their fans know this. Argyle will be up by 21 or more points by half time and by the end of the game the score will most likely be 40 or more points difference ...pretty much like last year. I just want our boys to come out healthy and be ready for the second season (playoffs).

Just asking here , have you seen Argyle play or are you going off of what you read?

Celina8
10-25-2013, 07:26 PM
Just asking here , have you seen Argyle play or are you going off of what you read?

I have seen them play twice and I have seen Celina, and about to go watch them play now. I would love to see Celina beat Argyle, but they are just two different teams . Celina has had those type teams during there Title years.

orange machine
10-25-2013, 11:32 PM
I liked what I saw in the passing game tonight. Qb threw a bunch of good balls tonight and had 3 or 4 td passes and could have had another. The defense was hard hitting tonight and played very tough. Im not sure what game the refs were watching the 1st half, but single handily killed drives and momentum.

Celina8
10-26-2013, 07:01 AM
I have to agree on the Refs statement orange machine, but the boys came out and did what they needed to do in the second half. Now a week of rest a prep for Argyle!