PDA

View Full Version : University of Texas at TCU

Scoop27
10-21-2013, 11:48 AM
Will the Longhorns keep up their winning ways or will the Horned Frogs have their number again?

hollywood
10-21-2013, 12:04 PM
The University of Texas wins big.

TCU is horrible. Before we hear the back lash.. Yes, they are worse than Texas.

D'Highlander
10-21-2013, 12:08 PM
TCU has no ability to move the ball... Texas should load the box and send the house on every play.

Macarthur
10-21-2013, 12:08 PM

TCU is horrible. Before we hear the back lash.. Yes, they are worse than Texas.

I think it's a bit dramatic to call tcu terrible. They didn't give up 500 yards rushing to byu. :)

Seriously, both teams have a solid defense, but the frogs are really struggling on offense.

hookandladder
10-21-2013, 12:50 PM
I am picking the horns to win, also there will be more Horn fans then TCU fans at the game.

Old Tiger
10-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Case McCoy had the comment of the year in the press conference today....

Was asked why TCU is favored Saturday, he responded: "Probably because I"m the quarterback, right?"

Old Tiger
10-21-2013, 04:41 PM
I think it's a bit dramatic to call tcu terrible. They didn't give up 500 yards rushing to byu. :)

Seriously, both teams have a solid defense, but the frogs are really struggling on offense.
I think the emerging Texas defense will stuff the box vs TCU and force Boykin to beat them through the air. Greg Robinson has got these team to swarm tackle, something I haven't seen from a Texas defense since probably 2010.

IMO Texas wins by 10-14 points

Scoop27
10-21-2013, 10:29 PM
http://www.statesman.com/weblogs/bevo-beat/2013/oct/20/ash-ruled-out-tcu/

Scoop27
10-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Suzanne Halliburton - American-Statesman Staff

Mack Brown, Gary Patterson doesn’t want to tell you whether his quarterback’s arm has healed enough to play Saturday.

There are only guesses as to whether Casey Pachall, who broke his left (non-throwing) arm in three places on Sept. 7, will be available when TCU plays host to the Longhorns Saturday night at Amon Carter Stadium.

“Even if I did (know), I wouldn’t tell you,” Patterson said on Monday’s Big 12 coaches conference call. “Why would I tell Texas to get ready for Casey Pachall?”

So let the speculation commence. Even if Pachall plays, will his presence be enough to lift the listless Horned Frogs offense?

Without Pachall, the Frogs have struggled mightily on offense. After starting the season in the top 25 and dubbed a favorite for the Big 12, the Horned Frogs have stumbled to a 1-3 record in the league, 3-4 overall. Their lone victory was over last-place Kansas. In their three losses, the Horned Frogs have scored an average of 12.3 points per game.

Trevone Boykin has been the starter since Pachall’s injury, but he was benched, briefly, after throwing three interceptions in the Frogs’ 24-10 loss last Saturday at Oklahoma State.

The original timetable for Pachall’s return was eight weeks. Pachall now is in week seven.

Patterson, in an effort to shake up the offense, also benched his play caller at halftime of the Oklahoma State game. He sent Rusty Burns to the press box area to call plays while Jarrett Anderson returned to the bench. The two are co-offensive coordinators, but Patterson said Monday that Burns will remain lead play caller.

Boykin, a redshirt sophomore, still is most comfortable running the ball. A week ago, Patterson said publicly he didn’t want his starting quarterback to be a tailback. But Boykin’s running ability — he rushed for 101 yards against Texas Tech — has helped salvage plays. The offensive line has been an area of concern, allowing 15 sacks in seven games.

“He’s had to run a little bit more for his life,” Patterson said of Boykin. “We have to play better up front. If we do that you cure a lot of different situations.”

Boykin has thrown for more than 200 yards just once this season — 228, against SMU. He was 17 of 35 for 188, with a long of 69 yards, against Oklahoma State.

But a year ago, Boykin showed just enough offense to lead his Horned Frogs to an 20-13 upset of Texas. The defense contributed mightily to TCU’s Thanksgiving victory in Austin. And the unit is the reason why this season hasn’t tanked, as yet.

TCU’s defense, led by defensive back Jason Verrett, remains the most disruptive in the conference, leading the league in interceptions (seven) and sacks (24).

The Horned Frogs need to win three of their next five to become bowl-eligible. Patterson has suffered only one losing season. That was in 2004.

Patterson remains hopeful his team will flip a switch. He said he sees good effort.

“Usually when teams do that,” Patterson said, “something good will happen to them.”

Scoop27
10-21-2013, 10:34 PM
By Kirk Bohls - American-Statesman Staff

Case McCoy is the epitome of the old college try, and he’s been giving it for years.

Does anyone try any harder than the perpetual backup quarterback who’s played 27 games at Texas, but has started just nine?
+ Bohls: McCoy is a case of resilience photo Ricardo B. Brazziell
Case McCoy is 5-4 as a starter, but he can count some crucial wins — 2011 at Texas A&M, two weeks ... read more

Is there a story line that’s more circuitous than that of the other McCoy?

Could there be any more drama for a younger sibling who is following in the shadows of a Longhorns legend and has overcome a potentially debilitating skin and muscular disease that could’ve become life-threatening during nine painful years of his adolescence?

Is there a better comeback script than a guy who returned from a bowl-game suspension and hung around to put his stamp on some of the biggest football wins in school history?

Will McCoy be remembered as a bona fide hero or a curious figure with great fortitude who made a few big plays in crunch time?

All of those may fit Texas’ undersized, arm-challenged senior quarterback, whose left leg is weaker than his right from the scleroderma that attacked the left side of his body, but whose resolve is more than most. He’s answered every knock on his ability and style, criticism that has driven him to succeed. He’s been written off more than three-martini lunches and all but dismissed after he was suspended from the Alamo Bowl for breaking curfew, a rules violation that included an investigation of sexual assault in which no charges were filed.

He was so far down on the depth chart behind David Ash and a rising Tyrone Swoopes that McCoy went on a 10-week good will mission to Peru last summer to install water purification systems, a getaway he called “a blast.”

But he’ll leave Austin with a rich legacy that might not be as gaudy as that of his brother’s 45-8 career but with a clutch reputation for knocking off rivals such as Texas A&M and Oklahoma and rescuing the Longhorns against Kansas to save Mack Brown’s coaching career.

“It hasn’t been the Cinderella story you’d want,” said McCoy, who also refuted rumors that he once planned to transfer. “I’ve had to battle to try to be first-string, second-string or even third-string quarterback, but I wouldn’t change anything. I was never leaving. I chose this school for a reason.”

And the staff is choosing him for a reason, not simply Ash’s concussion. Say all you want about his shortcomings, but there can be no doubt that he is one of the ultimate gamers, his pedestrian 5-4 career record notwithstanding.

“He has that mojo that everybody wants to play with him,” cornerback Quandre Diggs said.

Right guard Mason Walters still remembers McCoy’s presence in the huddle in the waning minutes of the Iowa State game.

“Case gets in the huddle and doesn’t say a word,” Walters said. “But he had this grin on his face. It was awesome.”

McCoy then led Texas on the winning drive, thanks to some fortuitous officiating, and scored the go-ahead touchdown. He was grinning even bigger after directing a 36-20 blowout of Oklahoma, a moment so big that older brother Colt requested a snapshot of Case wearing the Golden Hat.

He’s had a profound impact on the program as it attempts to return to national prominence. If Texas does build on its three-game win streak, the resurgence will have McCoy’s fingerprints all over it.

He’s living for these moments and relishes regaling the media at the same time he spars with them. And while he’s already graduated with a degree in physical culture and sports, he’s taking 12 hours this fall and plans on three more courses next spring to help him attain a real estate license and then pursue a career in that or coaching.

For now, his life has changed.

“I’ve taken a few more pictures than normal,” he said. “Signed a few more autographs. Got a few more hugs on campus.”

He plans to milk every second of these final six regular-season games. Ash could return from the concussion symptoms that have plagued him since the Kansas State game, but McCoy has earned the trust of his locker room, and Texas figures to stick with McCoy because a healthy Ash could return but leave after a single hit.

So Texas will bank on McCoy, who is completing 61 percent of his passes and has thrown just one interception in 123 attempts this season. Despite all of that, he has a good grip on reality.

As he put it playfully when he was asked why this Texas team is a two-point underdog against a 3-4 TCU team, “Probably because I’m the quarterback, right? No one thinks I’m any good except my teammates.”

That’s not true. But he does understand his limitations. He chuckled when it was pointed out that Mack Brown refused to let him check out of called plays on the last series against the Sooners. “That was him being smart,” McCoy said.

He’s got his 15 minutes of fame. And he’s going to make the most of them.

Scoop27
10-22-2013, 12:36 PM
http://www.texassports.com/news/2013/10/21/FB_1021131044.aspx#.Uma3gBDG4TM

regaleagle
10-24-2013, 08:43 PM
Basically, UT has more talent on offense than does TCU this season....plain as day. Both qbs, Boykin for TCU and McCoy for Texas, are prone to make mistakes at any time or on any given play. The difference will be the Texas running game in this one. TCU does have an edge defensively and with home field advantage, but will need to shut down UT's running attack and passing from Case McCoy. If McCoy manages the offense well, Texas should win. If TCU shuts down the running game of Texas, TCU has a better chance of winning. With Boykin at the helm, you just don't know what to expect. McCoy should play clean enough to help Texas, not hinder them. I can't say the same for Boykin and the TCU offense. Maybe Pachall will return and be a difference maker....maybe he won't. Regardless, this game should be a good one to watch.

Txbroadcaster
10-24-2013, 08:56 PM
Casey might be back for TCU in this game

D'Highlander
10-25-2013, 06:32 AM
Casey might be back for TCU in this game

But will we look like he did two years ago?

Macarthur
10-25-2013, 10:01 AM
I think this just comes down to Boykin being able to make a few plays. It should be a close game. If Boykin can make 3 or 4 big plays, tcu has a chance. UTs running game is the other x factor.

Scoop27
10-25-2013, 11:24 AM
Trying to figure out what TV channel will this game be on? on Longhorn site it has FS1
What DirecTV is that?
Thanks for any hoelp

D'Highlander
10-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Trying to figure out what TV channel will this game be on? on Longhorn site it has FS1
What DirecTV is that?
Thanks for any hoelp

>219<

Scoop27
10-25-2013, 11:33 AM
Thanks

hollywood
10-27-2013, 05:58 AM

TCU is (edit) struggling. Before we hear the back lash.. Yes, they are worse than Texas.

:wave:

Texas 30
TCU 7
FINAL

The Big 12 is soooooooo deep! *For you Saggie ;)

hollywood
10-27-2013, 06:15 AM
http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/10/26/5280465/tcu-texas-delayed-nearly-two-hours.html

Saggy Aggie
10-27-2013, 08:05 AM
:wave:

Texas 30
TCU 7
FINAL

The Big 12 is soooooooo deep! *For you Saggie ;)

Ya know, I was just thinking how DEEP the big 12 is...

Macarthur
10-27-2013, 10:13 AM
I was at the game. It was a shame that the weather hit because the place was packed and it was electric. Lots of energy.

When play resumed, it was dead

Texas played well. Tcu's offense is abysmal. Patterson needs to clean house on his offensive staff. The offense looked very poorly coached.