PDA

View Full Version : Region III Week 8 GOTW: Navasota Rattlers (6-1, 1-0) @ Rockadale Tigers (5-3, 2,0)

HEMOTOXIC
10-20-2013, 12:53 PM
Rockdale Tigers

(2A) Salado (1-6) W 47-21
Burnet (5-2) L 20-9
(2A) Cameron Yoe (6-1) L 51-33
Liberty Hill (6-1) L 49-28
Smithville (0-7) W 41-13
Hillsboro (3-5) W 59-7
Taylor (2-6) W 42-21
Madisonville (4-4) W 33-21

Navasota Rattlers

(4A) Willis (1-6) W 35-7
Coldspring (6-1) W 24-0
Houston Sterling (1-6) W 81-0
(2A) Lexington (2-5) W 65-0
Fairfield (7-0) L 44-24
(4A) Austin McCallum (5-3) W 43-13
Madisonville (4-4) W 49-0

HEMOTOXIC
10-20-2013, 12:58 PM
Navasota is coming off a bye week as the Rattlers travel to Rockdale. The Tigers looked impressive last week as they went up early against Madisonville 20-0 in the first quarters. A game in which the Tigers eventually won, 33-21. Madisonville is the only common opponent so far. The Rattlers won 49-0 over the Mustangs.

Rockdale plays very well at home. Navasota's defense still looks good; however, will Navasota's offense continue to improve. As I've been stating all season, if Navasota's young offense can ever get on track, Navasota will be a tough opponent for anyone in the state.

More thank likely, this is for the District Championship.

Who wins?

Rocket Man
10-20-2013, 04:12 PM
I'll say Navasota +21

SHSBulldog00
10-20-2013, 08:04 PM
I like Navasota's jugs and cans.

They sure can shake'em.

Dogman_1969
10-20-2013, 10:03 PM
To be the man you have to beat the man....

SHSBulldog00
10-20-2013, 11:38 PM
Region III GOTW

We would like for someone to attend the Region GOTW and call in to the 3ADL Postgame Show Friday nights starting at 11pm to discuss the ballgame (254) 640-1099

HEMOTOXIC
10-21-2013, 06:52 AM
Should be a good one. The Rattlers had an extra week to prepare. We all know that can possibly help or hurt a team coming off a bye week.

87 TIGER
10-21-2013, 08:52 PM
This game is for dist championship, gotta take my Tigers in this one 27-24. Snake stew after the game !

HEMOTOXIC
10-21-2013, 11:12 PM
I don't see Navasota's defense giving up that many points unless we have a ton of turnovers.. Ala the Fairfield game.

panfan
10-22-2013, 12:53 PM
Haven't seen Navasota this year, but have seen Rockdale. Saw the snakes highlights from last season and damn they were fast, but obviously last season aint this season. Rockdale has some good speed and a talented QB. If their QB can hook up with receivers, there is a lot of dangerous potential there. Rockdale by a field goal.

HEMOTOXIC
10-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Haven't seen Navasota this year, but have seen Rockdale. Saw the snakes highlights from last season and damn they were fast, but obviously last season aint this season. Rockdale has some good speed and a talented QB. If their QB can hook up with receivers, there is a lot of dangerous potential there. Rockdale by a field goal.

Interesting.. LH beats Rockdale by 21.. Rockdale over Navasota by a fg...

so....LH over Navasota by 24?

BTW, not much drop off from the defensive side of the ball. The offense is a work in process.. Navasota has always had speed.

OldBison75
10-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Navasota will bring it on defense and the offense is starting to find a good pace I think. If the young QB continues to improve on the decision making, look out. Rockdale will try to run the ball to set up play action and I believe the Rattler defense will be ready. The Rattler defensive speed, especially at the LB position will give Rockdale fits. Offensively, the Rattlers are not but a tick slower this year than last at any position.

Navasota 35
Rockdale 14

HEMOTOXIC
10-22-2013, 02:08 PM

BTW, not much drop off from the defensive side of the ball. The offense is a work in process.. Navasota has always had speed.

*progress

HEMOTOXIC
10-22-2013, 02:09 PM
Looks like I will be attending this game.. Fingers crossed, lol

Rabid Cougar
10-22-2013, 02:15 PM
Rockdale gets smoked by a 2A team, how are they going to hang with Navasota?

buff4ever
10-22-2013, 03:02 PM
Navasota will take care of business here.

OldBison75
10-22-2013, 04:10 PM

Cameron would beat a bunch of 3A teams. That and the fact that Rockdale vs Cameron is an age old rivalry is not a good gauge.

HEMOTOXIC
10-22-2013, 05:12 PM
Cameron would beat a bunch of 3A teams. That and the fact that Rockdale vs Cameron is an age old rivalry is not a good gauge.

Like the Navasota/Brenham rilvary of old.. Throw out the records in those matchups.

Rabid Cougar
10-22-2013, 07:38 PM

Yea I am VERY aware of that rivalry being a Yoeman. It is still a 2A team and they hung 50 plus on them. Not like it was by TD or less.

texasboys
10-22-2013, 08:30 PM
Rockdale had a TD lead going going into the fourth on Cameron. Game actually should have been a two td game but two failed xpts returned for 2 point conversions tightened the game to a score. Cameron hit two deep posts off reverse action to pull back into the game. Also returned a int for a td late in the game. Score doesn't tell the whole story

texasboys
10-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Expect a hungry Rockdale team to show up and compete for a district championship

HEMOTOXIC
10-22-2013, 10:01 PM
Expect a hungry Rockdale team to show up and compete for a district championship

Should be fun... The Rattlers will be READY!

Old Tiger
10-22-2013, 10:04 PM
This game was supposed to be for a district title a few years prior ot this one also....Rockdale has lost to every team worthy a crap on their schedule. Will take Navasota by 17.

venomous tat2
10-22-2013, 11:25 PM
Navasota will bring it on defense and the offense is starting to find a good pace I think. If the young QB continues to improve on the decision making, look out. Rockdale will try to run the ball to set up play action and I believe the Rattler defense will be ready. The Rattler defensive speed, especially at the LB position will give Rockdale fits. Offensively, the Rattlers are not but a tick slower this year than last at any position.

Navasota 35
Rockdale 14

This team has more speed than last year's team. The JR class is blessed with speed.

regaleagle
10-23-2013, 12:36 AM
Good defenses help offenses....esp. younger ones.....but now it's been 7 games. Navasota has another good game and wins by 14 points or better.

panfan
10-23-2013, 07:35 AM

Boy that's a stretch - I based my thoughts on what I saw of Rockdale when we played them, assumptions about fixing the things that plagued them during our game, and overall speed and size. They are big and physical. Again, since I haven't seen Navasota this year, I have no idea of their capabilities, thus the 3 points spread.

87 TIGER
10-23-2013, 08:31 AM

Rabid , I know your getting old , but you of all people should know that cam and rock are the same size. Get off the 2a 3a crap. 3 years ago Yoe turned in like 412 tigers 464. Rockdale missed 2a by 5 kids. 1st day of school this year Cameron is bigger than the Rock. Doesn't really matter. We're talkin Navasota /Rockdale for the dist title. Yoe needs to worry about big bad Florence

hollywood
10-23-2013, 08:42 AM
Navasota by 21 if they take care of the ball on offense. If not, Navasota by 7.

Just a guess

Good luck to both

hollywood
10-23-2013, 08:44 AM
Question for Sota folks... Do any of you think this years team has what it takes to make it deep enough for a projected match up with Carthage?

HEMOTOXIC
10-23-2013, 09:19 AM
Question for Sota folks... Do any of you think this years team has what it takes to make it deep enough for a projected match up with Carthage?

The Carthage matchup will more than likely take place in the second round. So, yes, IMO, it will be Navasota/Carthage in round #2.

HEMOTOXIC
10-23-2013, 09:35 AM
Boy that's a stretch - I based my thoughts on what I saw of Rockdale when we played them, assumptions about fixing the things that plagued them during our game, and overall speed and size. They are big and physical. Again, since I haven't seen Navasota this year, I have no idea of their capabilities, thus the 3 points spread.

Got ya.

The offense is very young. The starting QB is a first time starter and is a sophomore. One of the top recievers is also a first time varisity player and a sophomore (T. Dickson). The other top receiver is a junior (Lipscomb) and so is starting RB D Randle who was a part of the team from a year ago.

As far as the offense goes, they have flashes of greatness, then the youth shows. The starting QB is getting more comfortable being on the field which really showed in the 49-0 victory over Madisonville.

Defensively, the Rattlers are still very sound. Many question the Fairfield game. I will say this, the defense was worn out. Yes, the Eagles have a very good team but when the offense turns the ball over 6 times, something had to give.

We've been spoiled with Navasota's offense since Fedora came to town. In 2008 (lost to La Vega in OT-Qaurterfinals), 2009 (Lost to Gilmer in the QF's 42-35), 2011 (Lost to Chapel Hill in the Quarter finals 56-46 after the Rattlers had a 4th Q lead).. Had the defense been up to par with what we've had the last two seasons, we may have had more than 1 championship by now... Now, it's the defense that shines bright.

We have 3 more games to prepare the offense for the playoffs and a possible 2nd round matchup with Carthage.

hollywood
10-23-2013, 09:43 AM
The Carthage matchup will more than likely take place in the second round. So, yes, IMO, it will be Navasota/Carthage in round #2.

;) I just noticed that... not sure why I was thinking it would be the Reg Finals.

hollywood
10-23-2013, 09:45 AM
Got ya.

The offense is very young. The starting QB is a first time starter and is a sophomore. One of the top recievers is also a first time varisity player and a sophomore (T. Dickson). The other top receiver is a junior (Lipscomb) and so is starting RB D Randle who was a part of the team from a year ago.

As far as the offense goes, they have flashes of greatness, then the youth shows. The starting QB is getting more comfortable being on the field which really showed in the 49-0 victory over Madisonville.

Defensively, the Rattlers are still very sound. Many question the Fairfield game. I will say this, the defense was worn out. Yes, the Eagles have a very good team but when the offense turns the ball over 6 times, something had to give.

We've been spoiled with Navasota's offense since Fedora came to town. In 2008 (lost to La Vega in OT-Qaurterfinals), 2009 (Lost to Gilmer in the QF's 42-35), 2011 (Lost to Chapel Hill in the Quarter finals 56-46 after the Rattlers had a 4th Q lead).. Had the defense been up to par with what we've had the last two seasons, we may have had more than 1 championship by now... Now, it's the defense that shines bright.

We have 3 more games to prepare the offense for the playoffs and a possible 2nd round matchup with Carthage.

Good stuff HEMO. The Navasota/Carthage matchup will be grand. Winner has a strong chance to go to Jerry World IMO.

HEMOTOXIC
10-23-2013, 11:00 AM
Good stuff HEMO. The Navasota/Carthage matchup will be grand. Winner has a strong chance to go to Jerry World IMO.

Yes indeed. I'm patiently anticipating that matchup.

Yoe_09
10-24-2013, 12:26 PM
Well, you also have to take into account that Cameron had a few defensive lineman out in the Rockdale game, with the one 1 being a next level player. Not surprisingly, Rockdale did have most of their success in the ground in the Cameron game. Rockdale was 14-37 with 1 TD and 2 INT's through the air. 31 rushes for 216.

Here is a big reason why Rockdale is going to have issues in this game:

Rockdale 40 Salado 14 HALF - Rockdale 47 Salado 21 FINAL
Rockdale 3 Burnet 3 HALF - Burnet 20 Rockdale 9 FINAL
Cameron Yoe 24 Rockdale 20 HALF - Cameron Yoe 51 Rockdale 33 FINAL
Rockdale 27 Madisonville 0 HALF - Rockdale 33 Madisonville 21 FINAL

Depth will obviously be an issue for Rockdale. They have a lot of size but Navasota is probably still on another level. Rattlers by 21-28.

Old Tiger
10-24-2013, 06:11 PM
Well, you also have to take into account that Cameron had a few defensive lineman out in the Rockdale game, with the one 1 being a next level player. Not surprisingly, Rockdale did have most of their success in the ground in the Cameron game. Rockdale was 14-37 with 1 TD and 2 INT's through the air. 31 rushes for 216.

Here is a big reason why Rockdale is going to have issues in this game:

Rockdale 40 Salado 14 HALF - Rockdale 47 Salado 21 FINAL
Rockdale 3 Burnet 3 HALF - Burnet 20 Rockdale 9 FINAL
Cameron Yoe 24 Rockdale 20 HALF - Cameron Yoe 51 Rockdale 33 FINAL
Rockdale 27 Madisonville 0 HALF - Rockdale 33 Madisonville 21 FINAL

Depth will obviously be an issue for Rockdale. They have a lot of size but Navasota is probably still on another level. Rattlers by 21-28.

I think Rockdale will find success if they drop to 2a next realignment.

Yoe_09
10-25-2013, 02:44 PM
I think Rockdale will find success if they drop to 2a next realignment.

Indeed. At 447, the Tigers should be in the new 3A in 2013. D13 currently has 8 schools, but Marlin should go DII and that will open up room for Rockdale. Lago Vista is at 429, so they will stay put. Salado is still up in the air at this point.

striker
10-25-2013, 10:29 PM
Navasota 42
Rockdale 21

FINAL