PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 3A QBs

TexasRB22
05-24-2002, 06:19 PM
I want to see what everyone thinks-here's my opinion......
1.Phillip Daugherty-Bridgeport
2.Brett Hicks-Bandera
3.Adrian Alaniz-Sinton
4.Chase Anderle-La Grange
5.Michael Benton-Everman

Jacket2000
05-24-2002, 08:13 PM
Gotta put Alaniz at #2. That kid was GOOD. And I HATE passing, so for me to be impressed by a QB, he's gotta be something.
J2K

[This message has been edited by Jacket2000 (edited May 24, 2002).]

yoefan2002
05-24-2002, 08:35 PM
billy pittman from cameron is pretty good too probally in the top 10

Matthew328
05-25-2002, 12:26 AM
Can't agrue with any of those pics at all....pretty much agree with the 5...the order maybe different.....

MustangFan03
05-25-2002, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by TexasRB22:
I want to see what everyone thinks-here's my opinion......
1.Phillip Daugherty-Bridgeport
2.Brett Hicks-Bandera
3.Adrian Alaniz-Sinton
4.Chase Anderle-La Grange
5.Michael Benton-Everman

If you are talking QB's who will help his team the most you have to mention M.Carrillo (Sweetwater). He will put up between 3000-3500 all-purpose yards

sinton66
05-25-2002, 06:53 AM
Benton did a pretty good job of passing in the championship. I might move him up a notch or two, otherwise I agree on the choices.

VWG
05-25-2002, 07:41 PM
Putting the Bridgeport QB (Phillip D.) at number one is a little much. You have to remember that they came into the playoffs as a 3rd place team, and not until the playoffs did they make a remarkable run. I saw the kid play, and I am not saying he isn't any good, because he is a good QB. Just not the best in the state.
If Bridgeport comes out undefeated throughout the regular season, then I would say he is the best.... but hold on to that lofty ranking until he does it.

TexasRB22
05-26-2002, 03:51 PM
Who do you think should be #1 f Daugherty is not? Hicks or Alaniz or someone else?

Jacket2000
05-26-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by VWG:
Putting the Bridgeport QB (Phillip D.) at number one is a little much. You have to remember that they came into the playoffs as a 3rd place team, and not until the playoffs did they make a remarkable run. I saw the kid play, and I am not saying he isn't any good, because he is a good QB. Just not the best in the state.
If Bridgeport comes out undefeated throughout the regular season, then I would say he is the best.... but hold on to that lofty ranking until he does it.
All of the others had VERY GOOD supporting casts, but Daugherty was pretty much all B'port had. I saw him play also, and he spent most of his time running for his life, and then making unbelievable throws that no WR could miss unintenionally. About the only other weapon for B'port that I saw was a scrappy little RB, other than that, Daugherty was all alone, and still managed to put up the amazing numbers he did.
J2K

sinton66
05-27-2002, 09:08 AM
I don't know much about Daughtery or Hicks, but I saw Alaniz and Benton compete against each other in the title game, and would be willing to call either one of them #1. Both have a super set of skills. The other thing to note is that both Sinton and Everman had very diverse offensive weapons. The QB's didn't post big numbers because of their supporting casts, but when the chips were down, they came through for their teams.

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited May 27, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited May 27, 2002).]

TexasRB22
05-27-2002, 11:46 AM
I have Daugherty and Hicks at 1 and 2, b/c simply they are very talented passers that show great leadership and they know how to win. You guys know how pathetic Bridgeport would be if they didn't have Daugherty? And a lot of you want to talk about Bandera's supporting cast obviously didn't go to any games. Hicks makes them all better and they play hard for them but there are no kids on that team that will get any attention from any college coaches. Alaniz has about 3 that will get scholarships. Alaniz is extremely gifted though.

sinton66
05-27-2002, 07:32 PM
Texasrb22, I wasn't knocking your choices, I think all of the ones you mentioned are good.
My opinions are based solely on what I have seen. Bear in mind I said I didn't know much about Daughtery and Hicks. I'm not really campaigning for Alaniz and Benton either, I'm just saying I wouldn't disagree if either were chosen as #1. I'm sure all five of your choices are great atheletes.

yoefan2002
05-27-2002, 10:36 PM
the kid from cameron is good go to any school he wants too after this year GO YOE

Jacket2000
05-28-2002, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by TexasRB22:
I have Daugherty and Hicks at 1 and 2, b/c simply they are very talented passers that show great leadership and they know how to win. You guys know how pathetic Bridgeport would be if they didn't have Daugherty? And a lot of you want to talk about Bandera's supporting cast obviously didn't go to any games. Hicks makes them all better and they play hard for them but there are no kids on that team that will get any attention from any college coaches. Alaniz has about 3 that will get scholarships. Alaniz is extremely gifted though.

From what I saw, Hicks had quite a supporting cast. 10 returning starters from a semifinalist team is something to take into consideration. B'port, on the other hand, returned 9 starters from a team that was knocked out in bi-district. I can give specific examples if you'd like, but I would think that that would say enough. Without Hicks, Bandera still goes at least two rounds deep. Without Daugherty, B'port probably doesnt even go to the playoffs.
J2K

TexasRB22
05-28-2002, 03:53 PM
Jacket-you obviously no nothing about Bandera. They lost FOUR all-staters from that team and no way did they have 10 starters back. They wouldn't have made the playoffs without Hicks-you don't need to comment on players or teams unless you've seen them.

Jacket2000
05-28-2002, 04:41 PM
You know what you do when you assume, right?
Who says Ive never seen them play?
Anyway, we now know where you're from, and maybe who you are. Id be willing to bet on that. I will now give some of those specific examples that I spoke of earlier.
Bandera returning offensive starters(these are just a few of the stand outs):
OL: Jackson 6ft, 220
OL: Sells 6'3, 260
TE: Whitus 6'4, 235
OL: Shaver 6ft, 220
Sounds like quite a supporting cast to me, compared to B'port, who's biggest player period was 5'11, 240.
J2K

bc 76
05-28-2002, 07:32 PM
The kid from la grange is very good.I saw him play against a very tough bay city team in HEB classic at the alamodome last year.I think this kid played against a lot tougher competion than the other qb did.The m& m boys had a hard time stopping this kid .

toby070
05-28-2002, 09:38 PM
Anderle IS very good. I wasn't particularly impressed with his arm, but he runs the option very well. He is VERY patient, will kind of take his time down the line until he sees an opening, and then when he gets a hole, zoom, he's full speed in a step or two! I only saw him vs. Wimberley, he may be a better throwing QB than I give him credit for.

I'd be tempted to add the kid from Burnet to the list, though he is just going to be a junior (can't remember his name right off hand). Burnet runs the spread, so he'll get to throw a lot. He also has a good RB that will force defenses to respect the run and a fast as hell receiver (Shipp) as a deep threat. He will put up HUGE numbers this year.

TexasRB22
05-29-2002, 01:40 PM
Jacket-you've never seen them play b/c Shaver hasn't played football in 2 years and you exaggerated the heights and weights on all the players.

Jacket2000
05-29-2002, 02:01 PM
If the heights and weights were exaggerated, then it wasnt by me, my friend. Those measurments were taken directly from DCTF, who gets their measurments from the HC. Besides, that says nothing about whether Ive seen them or not. Im not so good at estimating heights and weights, especially underneath a set of pads. If I could, I would be working at a carnival somewhere making some REAL money. So, keep searching for something to discredit me with. Im sure you'll find something eventually.
J2K

[This message has been edited by Jacket2000 (edited May 29, 2002).]

pero chato
05-29-2002, 05:40 PM
Have to agree with Mustangfan03, Carrillo is extremely talented. He probably is better known for his running ability, but his passing is dead accurate as well. He gets better every year; his senior year should be his best - even in a new district. Good luck Mustangs!

sinton66
05-30-2002, 03:20 PM
Jacket, did you watch Alaniz in the state final? Is that the only time you've seen him play? If so, I can tell you he's even better than that! You didn't get to see him run. Not quite as fast as #22, but pretty quick. They even had some plays where the backs would double lead him on a keeper sweep, and one play where he would actually end up on the receiving end of a halfback pass. Was really something to see.

SintonFan
05-30-2002, 11:55 PM
Sorry 66, but I had to defend Jacket on this one. I read his first comment and he gave him lots of credit. I saw Alaniz in six games and he did rock! Davis was great at taking advantage of the kids talents. Must be losing my sanity... defending Jacket. BTW, check out the links I left about the Judson sites on the other post, 66.

Jacket2000
05-31-2002, 12:18 AM
Ouch, SinFan. That was harsh!
J2K

SintonFan
05-31-2002, 01:59 AM
Sorry, but when you say I sound like a 'Soccer Mom', it hard not to hold a little grudge. LOL

sinton66
05-31-2002, 07:57 AM
I wasn't getting on Jacket, just trying to tell him there's more to Alaniz than meets the eye. I really only meant that he's a very exciting player to watch. Sorry if it sounded like I was being critical, wasn't my intention.

Jacket2000
05-31-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan:
Sorry, but when you say I sound like a 'Soccer Mom', it hard not to hold a little grudge. LOL

LOL, *I* said that? Hmmm, doesnt sound like something *Id* say. Oh well, no offense taken.
Oh, and 66, I havent seen Alaniz play an entire game. What Ive seen pretty much amounts to a highlight film. So, yes, I know he is a very exciting player to watch.
J2K

MustangFan03
05-31-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by pero chato:
Have to agree with Mustangfan03, Carrillo is extremely talented. He probably is better known for his running ability, but his passing is dead accurate as well. He gets better every year; his senior year should be his best - even in a new district. Good luck Mustangs!
Thank You for your comments. If you are a Ab. Wylie fan I might have to rethink my thought s on them-lol Good Luck with your team this year also!

Adidas410s
06-04-2002, 12:19 PM
Carrillo is a good QB, but his passing the past two years was anything but deadly accurate. He spent most of his soph year scrambling two seconds after the snap and last year he was either handing it off or running outside on his own. When he hardly throws more than 5 passes a game, its hard to judge his arm strength and accuracy.

vet93
06-04-2002, 02:18 PM
I agree about Carrillo's throwing ability. It is largely unproven. His accuracy is suspect over about 20 yards. However, as well as he runs the ball, he doesn't have to have that great of an arm. Just good enough to keep people honest. Most quarterbacks are toast on a broken play. Sometimes Carrillo's best play is the broken play where he has to make something happen on his own. Having said all of this, I think that the long term success of Sweetwater next year will depend on Carrillo's ability to effectively distribute the ball to his teammates. I still think that they need to let him run the ball about 20 times per game, but will be much better if he can learn to finesse people to him and then dish to an open pitch man. The ultimate success of a good option qb is being able to not only get yards yourself, but to put the ball in the hands of your teamates in a way that gives them the best chance for success. If he can learn how to do this...as I have said many times, look out for the Mustangs!

Originally posted by Adidas410s:
Carrillo is a good QB, but his passing the past two years was anything but deadly accurate. He spent most of his soph year scrambling two seconds after the snap and last year he was either handing it off or running outside on his own. When he hardly throws more than 5 passes a game, its hard to judge his arm strength and accuracy.

whsfan
06-04-2002, 11:26 PM
Carrillo is a well rounded quarterback. He only runs more because it's very effective. His arm is good and I look for him to have another successful season.

Eagle 00
06-05-2002, 12:23 PM
I heard from a friend south he (Carrillo) was not the best QB in the District. Is the Lamesa kid back or the Greenwood kid?

[This message has been edited by Eagle 00 (edited June 05, 2002).]

pero chato
06-05-2002, 01:27 PM
My comments on Carrillo were based on the games I saw him in (against Wylie). Their (Sweetwater's) new district will certainly be tough, but Carrillo brings into the 2002 season two years of varsity experience as the starting quarterback. I don't know much about the Lamesa and Greenwood QBs but apparently they're talented as well. I still stand by my comments that Carrillo can throw the ball with accuracy and should be given that opportunity. Good Luck Mustangs!