PDA

View Full Version : Region II Week 8 GOTW: Chapel Hill (5-3, 3-1) @ Kilgore (6-0, 3-0)

SHSBulldog00
10-19-2013, 11:52 PM
We would like for someone to attend the Region GOTW and call in to the 3ADL Postgame Show Friday nights starting at 11pm to discuss the ballgame (254) 640-1099

If you are unable to vote just post your pick and it will count.

This one is going to the Dogs.

Mods please add a poll

buckeyebob
10-20-2013, 08:42 AM
This could be very telling...Chapel Hill is much improved...Kilgore looked like crapola Friday night against Gladewater...excuse was that their QB was absent because he had to serve a 2 game suspension for fighting...whatever...you would think at this level, their number 2 would be able to continue...perhaps their QB is the spark the makes the machine fire...I will give them the benefit & go with Kilgore...if last Friday's team shows up, Chapel Hill will take 'em and Kilgore will be given a severe spanking in 3 weeks by the Buckeyes.

adoptedbuckeye
10-20-2013, 09:26 AM
I pick Chapel Hill in this one. They are way more talented and physical than Gladewater, and Kilgore struggled against the bears. I was not impressed by Kilgore on either side of the ball. Maybe they had an off night, but they can't win playing like they did Friday.

Pawdaddy
10-20-2013, 09:48 AM
My hopes of having 2 state champions come out of District of Doom were dashed this past Friday night. Bears turned the ball over 4 or 5 times in the first half alone and had a lot of success running right into the teath of that vaunted Kilgore defense. Why they threw the ball at all or ran outside is a mystery. I doubt the QB that did not play would have helped the defense that much. Kilgore will have to pull a Jekyll and Hyde trick this week to stay in the top 10.

hollywood
10-20-2013, 09:56 AM
Interesting. Would like to hear from the K Dawg nation on their take. All we've heard all year is how much better their team is this year over last years team. I wasn't putting too much stock into that. But knew they would be solid.

Aggie98
10-20-2013, 10:10 AM
This could be very telling...Chapel Hill is much improved...Kilgore looked like crapola Friday night against Gladewater...excuse was that their QB was absent because he had to serve a 2 game suspension for fighting...whatever...you would think at this level, their number 2 would be able to continue...perhaps their QB is the spark the makes the machine fire...I will give them the benefit & go with Kilgore...if last Friday's team shows up, Chapel Hill will take 'em and Kilgore will be given a severe spanking in 3 weeks by the Buckeyes.

Our QB served a 1-game suspension a month ago and tweaked a knee in pre-game 3 weeks ago. The backup has started the last 3 with a bye week mixed in. He has done a fine job stepping in for Colbert. I'm not going to make excuses for a 3 score win over Gladewater...Others can do what they want.

adoptedbuckeye
10-20-2013, 10:24 AM
Our QB served a 1-game suspension a month ago and tweaked a knee in pre-game 3 weeks ago. The backup has started the last 3 with a bye week mixed in. He has done a fine job stepping in for Colbert. I'm not going to make excuses for a 3 score win over Gladewater...Others can do what they want.

Will Kilgore's QB start against us?

Aggie98
10-20-2013, 10:42 AM
Will Kilgore's QB start against us?

He'll be back this week.

SHSBulldog00
10-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Can a MOD add a poll I'd like to see this one.

adoptedbuckeye
10-20-2013, 12:55 PM
He'll be back this week.

I'm skipping the Gilmer-Spring Hill game to see Kilgore-Chapel Hill. Probably sit on the home side. This should be a really good game, Chapel Hill is very physical and their QB has a rocket for an arm. I'm ready to see Kilgore with all their starters as well.

waterboy
10-21-2013, 07:48 AM
I went to the Kilgore / Gladewater game as well. Didn't know all you other folks went, too. Of course, I didn't know until the last minute that I was going to get to go, or I would've liked to have us all sit together. Heck, we may have sit together anyway, 'cause there was a strong contingent of Buckeyes where I was sitting.

My impressions of the game:

Kilgore came out and got there first score in two plays, taking only 25 seconds to do so. After that they went flat, and never found a rhythm. I think they took Gladewater a little lightly and it showed. The longer the Bears stayed in the game the more inspired they became. The outcome never was in doubt so I don't really think Kilgore showed their hand, especially when they knew there would probably be a lot of Gilmer coaches scouting them. Personally, I don't put much stock in games like this, especially when the other team doesn't have their starting QB playing.

Now, against Chapel Hill, they will HAVE to show their hand. I think Chapel Hill is "capable" of beating them, even with Kilgore at full strength. Will they? I don't think so unless Kilgore has 4 turnovers like they did against Gladewater, and Chapel Hill doesn't have more than one. Getting Benny Colbert back will be a big boost to the team, and I think with Kilgore knowing that CH has enough talent to beat them, they will play more focused. I wouldn't be surprised if the game is within a couple of TDs, though.

lostaussie
10-21-2013, 08:28 AM
I am very curious to see how this one shakes out. Chapel Hill not bad. I could see them winning this game.

waterboy
10-21-2013, 09:07 AM
I am very curious to see how this one shakes out. Chapel Hill not bad. I could see them winning this game.

I'm curious, too. If the same Kilgore team shows up against Chapel Hill that showed up against Gladewater, I think CH has a legit shot at beating them. I do think getting their starting QB back will be a big boost for Kilgore, though. Either way, I'm curious to see how it shakes out.

hollywood
10-21-2013, 09:18 AM
I'm looking forward to the Kilgore/Gilmer matchup!

TCH should give Kilgore their frist challenge in a while. But I think that Kilgore will be able to flex their muscle and win. Wouldn't be shocked if TCH pulls off an upset though.

buff4ever
10-21-2013, 09:56 AM
I will say chapel hill in this one. By about 3 - 7 points.

Txbroadcaster
10-21-2013, 10:40 AM
I think people are reading into the GW game to much

hollywood
10-21-2013, 11:11 AM
We'll find out soon enough. ;)

Only Kilgore can control their destiny. If Kilgore struggles against TCH, then 2 things can be determined... either TCH is for real, or Kilgore isn't as strong. The real test will be Nov 8th vs Gilmer IMO.

Aggie98
10-21-2013, 11:33 AM

No kidding. Tough crowd.

lostaussie
10-21-2013, 12:22 PM
I'm looking forward to the Kilgore/Gilmer matchup!

TCH should give Kilgore their frist challenge in a while. But I think that Kilgore will be able to flex their muscle and win. Wouldn't be shocked if TCH pulls off an upset though.Don't know how much muscle there is to flex. There "signature" win thus far is over Mt Pleasant............who just lost to Marshall and Atlanta!!! I'm off the Dawg train............depends on how they fair this Friday as to if I jump back on. I hope I get too

waterboy
10-21-2013, 12:29 PM

I'll have to agree with Terry on this one. That was just a sloppy game all around. I don't think it'll be the same Kilgore team showing up against Chapel Hill, especially after getting their starting QB back after three games, and knowing they are facing a talented team that is capable of pulling an upset. Benny Colbert is a much better running threat, which picks up Kilgore's game several notches offensively.

I wouldn't be surprised if the game is within a couple of TDs, though. Chapel Hill "could" pose some problems for them the longer they stay in the game. If Kilgore has the TO bug that they had the other night, I think Chapel Hill will win.

It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out. Definitely GOTW material.

regaleagle
10-21-2013, 05:48 PM
I have no opinion because it's really a nonissue for Argyle. Whether Kilgore or CH wins, both will make the playoffs and each may go three rounds. It could change the seeding of the brackets, though. My gut feeling says that Kilgore will make fewer mistakes in this one and play a great game....good enough to win over a talented CH bunch that also has trouble with mental errors and mistakes occasionally. But I haven't seen either team play....so what do I really know....nada.

Dawgs
10-22-2013, 06:39 PM
I tend to agree with other posters about reading to much into the Gladewater game. I love these boards...2 weeks ago Kilgore was the undisputed #2 team in East Texas, and now they can't beat CH? Carthage and Gilmer beat CH decisively. I would expect Kilgore to do the same thing, or they are not a tier 1 team <-- shout out to The Old Coach Crew :wave:

adoptedbuckeye
10-24-2013, 11:23 AM
I tend to agree with other posters about reading to much into the Gladewater game. I love these boards...2 weeks ago Kilgore was the undisputed #2 team in East Texas, and now they can't beat CH? Carthage and Gilmer beat CH decisively. I would expect Kilgore to do the same thing, or they are not a tier 1 team <-- shout out to The Old Coach Crew :wave:

I think just from reading on here about Kilgore they will be prepared tomorrow night mentally. One thing that could make a difference is conditioning. I noticed Kilgore's up front guys got pretty winded in the Gladewater game when Kilgore went to hurry up offense. This could have an effect on them if CH decides to speed the tempo up and wear down the D-line. I don't know if the same guys play OL and DL on Kilgore but if they are conditioned similarly it could be a factor is what I mean.

Aggie98
10-24-2013, 11:48 AM
I think just from reading on here about Kilgore they will be prepared tomorrow night mentally. One thing that could make a difference is conditioning. I noticed Kilgore's up front guys got pretty winded in the Gladewater game when Kilgore went to hurry up offense. This could have an effect on them if CH decides to speed the tempo up and wear down the D-line. I don't know if the same guys play OL and DL on Kilgore but if they are conditioned similarly it could be a factor is what I mean.

We are 2 deep at all the D-line positions. None of them play on the offensive side of the ball.

adoptedbuckeye
10-24-2013, 11:55 AM
We are 2 deep at all the D-line positions. None of them play on the offensive side of the ball.

That's nice to have depth! Kilgore will need fresh guys to stay after CH's QB.
I'm ready for kickoff tomorrow night to see how it all plays out.

Aggie98
10-24-2013, 07:35 PM
That's nice to have depth! Kilgore will need fresh guys to stay after CH's QB.
I'm ready for kickoff tomorrow night to see how it all plays out.

Depth is always good. As far as the CH QB, this will be the 3rd time we've faced him. He was a sophomore at Jacksonville the first time.

Kilgore leads the all-time series 26-7, and has won the last 7. Chapel Hill's last win was 1995. Last year was 31-2 Kilgore, played at CH.

The last Kilgore home loss was in 2011 to John Tyler 55-49 in 3 OT. JT was a 4A-D1 semi-finalist that year, Kilgore was a 4A-D2 quarter-finalist.

Pawdaddy
10-25-2013, 01:49 AM
All the history doesn't really matter.......CH by 6 unless Kilgore has more than 1 turnover......then CH by 15.

hollywood
10-25-2013, 09:26 AM
All the history doesn't really matter.......CH by 6 unless Kilgore has more than 1 turnover......then CH by 15.

:eek: No-he-di'unt!

adoptedbuckeye
10-25-2013, 07:56 PM
14-0 Kilgore first q.

The return of Kilgore's qb has proven to be the catalyst for their team. They are firing on all cylinders so far. CH needs to answer quickly to keep it from getting out of hand.

Aggie98
10-25-2013, 08:41 PM
21-9 Kilgore, halftime.

Aggie98
10-25-2013, 09:44 PM
35-17 Kilgore, 8:02 4th.

Aggie98
10-25-2013, 10:13 PM
42-25 Kilgore, final.

regaleagle
10-26-2013, 12:59 AM
So what do you know about Jasper, Aggie98. I saw some clips on TV of Carthage/Jasper and wasn't that impressed. Now I know Carthage and Surratt is a team that supposedly notches it up with each game, but I'm just checking with a local East Texas fan here.

Aggie98
10-26-2013, 01:19 AM
So what do you know about Jasper, Aggie98. I saw some clips on TV of Carthage/Jasper and wasn't that impressed. Now I know Carthage and Surratt is a team that supposedly notches it up with each game, but I'm just checking with a local East Texas fan here.

Jasper is supposedly way down this year. They basically have 3 good players on the team and I believe they're brothers (last name Cuney). The brother who plays RB lit Carthage up tonight for 250+ yds. Carthage's front 7 is very small with the exception of Mario McCain, who goes both ways. Solid running teams will create big problems for Carthage.

waterboy
10-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Jasper is supposedly way down this year. They basically have 3 good players on the team and I believe they're brothers (last name Cuney). The brother who plays RB lit Carthage up tonight for 250+ yds. Carthage's front 7 is very small with the exception of Mario McCain, who goes both ways. Solid running teams will create big problems for Carthage.

Carthage has had defensive problems all year, but their offense is very potent. I think, unless Surratt and crew get some things corrected, that Carthage will have trouble come playoff time when they start facing really good teams.