PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer Travels to Spring Hill

buckeyebob
10-19-2013, 08:43 AM
The bye week is over...the Yamboree soon will be...time to get down to buisiness. Gilmer is on a roll averaging 58 points per game while giving up 19 (large amount was 4th quarter). Full of funnel cakes & fried twinkies, the Bux return to reality...what will it be?

Spring Hill struggles with football most years, good job in all others...will the Bux start Monday in focus or will the smoke turkey legs occupy their thoughts.

What happens this week?

regaleagle
10-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Can Spring Hill beat a team like West, or Venus??? How bad are they in football exactly. It's hard to tell with them being in District 16. Whom have they beat or could they beat in 3a on a regular basis? What is their enrollment? What's the problem over there in football?

Aesculus gilmus
10-19-2013, 01:29 PM
Spring Hill actually used to be pretty good in the early 2000s. They were our Area opponent in 2004 when Gilmer first won state. That game wound up 28-11 and was actually the closest game during the playoffs until the title game against Jasper.

Enrollment is just over 500, as I recall. It's a very small district in terms of territory, but it's a lot higher income than GISD. Typical household income in Spring Hill is probably about halfway between us po' folk in Gilmer and the well-off landed gentry of Argyle.

I don't know what happened. No football coach has been able to do much since Steve Gaddis left. It's a good school otherwise, though.

buckeyebob
10-20-2013, 09:03 AM
Can Spring Hill beat a team like West, or Venus??? How bad are they in football exactly. It's hard to tell with them being in District 16. Whom have they beat or could they beat in 3a on a regular basis? What is their enrollment? What's the problem over there in football?

In most districts, Spring Hill would & could be competative. Football takes a back seat to Baseball for sure (we did take District Champ from them last year) and Basketball. They are 506.5 as of now...would expect them to put a few more on this year...one of the smallest school districts i the state (covers something like 15 sq mi) wedged in between Longview, Gilmer, White Oak, & Gladewater. As I see it, the community will not make the comitment to Football...several years ago, they passed a bond to build new Gym for boys & girls, rework baseball & football fields...all is done, nothing to football field...rumor has it locally that they will not play football in the future. They do have good athletes, girls especially...we continue to chip away at 'em (15 miles down the road)...taking crowns away from 'em...1 game behind in Girl's Vollyball...just not real sure.

adoptedbuckeye
10-20-2013, 09:50 AM
I get a lot of Spring Hill fans and parents where I work in Kilgore, and basically their motto is we'll get em next year. Their fans only show up to support the band then leave at halftime which completely demoralizes the team. One parent told me last year a coach had to make his class quiet down for making fun of the fact that nobody stays after halftime. They need to reverse the culture and get people excited first. Second, most athletes transfer to either Longview High or Pine Tree where they will have a chance to compete on winning programs. They need to try and get people to support their football peogram and retain the talent to reverse this trend.