PDA

View Full Version : Region IV Week 8 GOTW: Fredericksburg(6-1/2-0) @ Navarro(7-0/2-0)

regaleagle
10-19-2013, 02:22 AM
This should be a good one coming up in Geronimo next Friday nite. Fredericksburg lost the first game of the season to Burnet, then has reeled off 6 consecutive wins...albeit to some lesser competition. But you play who's on your schedule, and they have done that with some success. Just a few facts and figures here I gathered on Fred's offensive numbers so far:
Total Rushing Yards>>>1650
Total Passing Yards>>>1125

That's about 2800 yds for 7 games...about a 400/game avg....not bad. I reckon a few more were put up this past game against Boerne, but still not bad. It appears the Billies have a reasonably balanced attack and do a good job defensively . I really haven't been but to a couple of their games(Burnet was Week 0), but looks like they are improving with each game played. I don't know how they will fare against Navarro's Slot T, but I'm sure they've seen it before. After Navarro, the Billies travel the following week to Wimberley for a test, then end their regular season at home against Bandera. I'd say these next two games are both very BIG ones for all three teams involved....Navarro, Wimberley, and Fred. Looks like all 3 should make the playoffs. Boerne and Bandera both have 2 losses each already, I believe. Wimberley is (1-1), and their loss was to Navarro tonite. So they look to make the playoffs, imo. Fred defeated Canyon Lake last week, and I think CL defeated Bandera tonite. That makes Canyon Lake's record (1-1) also. Looks like the 4th spot is up for grabs, huh?

YTBulldogs
10-19-2013, 02:31 AM
Navarro nips them late, 28-27.

regaleagle
10-19-2013, 02:47 AM
I don't think so. I think Navarro controls the ball, the pace, and the clock to get the lead by halftime. I'm not a homer here, so I can be relatively unbiased. Fred may be able to score thru the air or at least gain field advantage using the pass, but has a pretty fair running game as well. If they get behind, I think they have the ability to come back. I don't see this game as being a blowout either way, though. I think the lead may change a couple times in the 2nd half, and whoever has the lead late in the 4th will win it. I don't see any very late 4th quarter heroics being pulled out of the hat between these 2 teams, jmo. Now maybe a turnover or penalty late could be a deciding factor in this one....but I expect a game that will be decided by a touchdown or less either way.

YTBulldogs
10-19-2013, 03:19 AM
I don't think so. I expect a game that will be decided by a touchdown or less either way.

Isn't that what I predicted? LOL.

regaleagle
10-19-2013, 10:46 AM
In the final analysis.....yes you did, haha. But....you said they'd nip em at the end. My take was whoever is ahead late will win. Either way, we both think it will be less than a touchdown difference. You're calling for a Navarro win, and I'm saying it could go either way. There is a difference.

SHSBulldog00
10-20-2013, 11:54 PM
After a Best 3 of 5 Coin Flip Fred/Navarro won the Region IV Week 8 GOTW Honor.

Now we just need to add a poll for the thread.

We would like for someone to attend the Region GOTW and call in to the 3ADL Postgame Show Friday nights starting at 11pm to discuss the ballgame (254) 640-1099

bag-o-chips
10-21-2013, 07:28 AM
I should be there but will not see hardly any of the actual game. Navarro wins by 2 scores is my take.

hollywood
10-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Navarro by 10 is my guess. ;)

Slot-t executed well is hard to stop! If Fred has a good sized and strong desciplined DL and LB core, then they should have success stopping the slot. Otherwise, it'll be a long night for Fred.

How is Navarro's D against teams that can pass? This will be a key factor.

bag-o-chips
10-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Navarros opp. passing stats are 78-159-8 ints. 1089 yds for an avg of 156 a game. They have improved and the highest 2 totals allowed were 277 in week 2 and 198 the next week. Rushing defense is stout giving up 71 yds per game. The highest allowed 146 in the 3rd game and the lowest was -2 yds last at Wimberley. Navarros key is t. o. p. and controlling the ball. I would expect the same this week.

bag-o-chips
10-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Canyon lake is running the slot t this year and Fred beat them 38-14 but CL rushed 47 times for 338 yards. That may be an indicator also

Tejastrue
10-21-2013, 03:10 PM
I'm not the least bit sold that Fredericksburg is good enough to beat Navarro. It has to have been an emotional win for the Panthers against Wimberley and that would be the only reason for a let down so it could be even in the 1st half. I think Navarro is dominating by the 4th and they win by 3 tds.. less the 3 failed xtra pt attempts. So..18 pts. ;)

bag-o-chips
10-21-2013, 03:55 PM
This is the 4th year in 3A for Navarro and I can honestly say that having Wimberley in our District has given us a goal and the comp. to improve. The program at Navarro from 7th on up is getting stronger and I had heard we swept all the other games last week as well. I do think it was emotional but this group knows what they can do and will be ready! Wimberley will be Ok come the playoffs I suspect!

regaleagle
10-21-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm not sold on Fred either. They really haven't played that good of competition, but it makes you wonder just a bit. I looked at their roster and they do have some beef on the lines and a very athletic style qb that can run and pass. He has some good recievers, and Fred does have speed, esp. defensively. They do swarm to the ball, and lots of gang tackling....a plus for any D. The offense has a good little scatback that is quick and elusive. If he gets in the open field, you'll need the right angle to run him down. Whenever a team puts up 60 pts.(and 44 by half) there's cause to think they have improved their offensive capabilities. Burnet can testify that even in Week 0 Fred did come back offensively and did a good job defensively. And that was 7 weeks ago. I've only read about Navarro, but it appears they are a tough nut to crack. Coach Lance Moffett of Fred is now in his 3rd season here, and looks to have the support of the community as well as the attention of the athletes on the football horizon. I think he and his staff have introduced schemes for the team that are working for the athletes they have. Good Luck to both squads come Friday nite in Geronimo. This time it will be Navarro's house that will be packed. Look for the Fred fans to travel big to this one....it's been a few years and they are hungry.

Tejastrue
10-21-2013, 09:04 PM
Yeah, that scatback has caused us some fits over the past few years. His name is Paco Martinez, very quick, shifty runner.

This game kinda reminds me of a lion and his pride. The Lion King is dead and the best and strongest remaining are fighting for control.

Psst...we are not dead yet ... lol

Mojo84
10-21-2013, 10:16 PM
2013 Billies is not your normal Fredericksberg team. Should be a good game.

panfan
10-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Navarro by 2 TDs. TOP will eat up the clock and wear down the defense. Fact that they are holding teams defensively says a lot, get the ball back, march down the field, score.

hollywood
10-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Yawn.. you need some air it out, run and gun, bubble screen, QB keeper schemes... some exciting stuff pan. Not that boring ole slot-t stuff! :D

Y'all will likely meet Venus in the first round... what a boring game that will be. Yawn.

:1popcorn:

regaleagle
10-23-2013, 12:55 AM
Canyon lake is running the slot t this year and Fred beat them 38-14 but CL rushed 47 times for 338 yards. That may be an indicator also

How does the opposing team rush 47 times, roll up 338 yds. on the ground, and still lose by more than 3 tds. I would imagine there were some short fields in there and some turnovers. However....Fred did convert or at least score on their drives, however many(or few) plays it took because they managed almost 40 pts. So Fred puts up 38 against a Slot T team that tries to control the clock, and a week later puts up 60 against a team that runs and passes. Looks to me like Fred has a good defense and a good offense. They scored 98 points and allowed 36 point the last 2 weeks against District rivals. That's all I can tell you at the point about the Biiiiiillllllies. BAAAAH!!!

bag-o-chips
10-23-2013, 06:51 AM
Panthers, Billies both eyeing 27-3A title

First place in District 27-3A will be on the line Friday night at Erwin-Lee Field as Navarro (7-0, 2-0) hosts Fredericksburg (6-1, 2-0) in a big-time showdown.
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 12:00 am
Scot Kibbe | 0 comments
GERONIMO — The Navarro Panthers (7-0, 2-0) will face another obstacle in their quest to win a district title Friday night when they host the resurgent Fredericksburg Billies (6-1, 2-0) in a battle of the two teams tied for the District 27-3A lead.
Last week, the Panthers finally knocked off the team that had dominated the district for three years when they downed Wimberley 24-14. Navarro had finished second to Wimberley in each of those three years, a span in which the Texans did not lose a single district game.
It is too early to make space on Navarro’s campus for a district championship trophy, however. It will first have to get through a Fredericksburg team that has won six games in a row, including a jaw-dropping 60-22 dismantling of Boerne last Friday. The Billies tallied 568 total yards in the game and held a 44-3 lead at halftime.
Fredericksburg coach Lance Moffett, now in his third year at the school, said his team is “bigger, faster and stronger” than the squad that finished 5-5 last season.
“We returned a lot of experience (six starters on offense and nine of defense) from last year,” he said. “Our kids also committed themselves to working in the weight room during the offseason and that has made us physically better.”
Navarro head coach Les Goad agrees and said his team knows it will have its hands full this week.
“There is no new king of this district until the race is over,” he said. “Our kids understand how good Fredericksburg is. They are possibly the best team we have faced this year.”
Quarterback Kyle Grona leads the Billies’ offensive attack. He has already thrown for 1,112 yards and 10 touchdowns this year while rushing for 570 yards and 12 touchdowns.
Against Boerne, Grona accounted for 320 yards — 226 in the air and 94 on the ground.
“He may be the top passer in the district this year,” Goad said. “He also reads the defenders well on the option plays.”
Operating in the spread formation, Grona has five receivers who have more than 100 yards this year. His main targets are Brayden Beard (15-218 yards, three TDs) and Joaquin Rivera (20-200 yards).
Paco Martinez, an all-district selection in 2012, is the Billies’ leading rusher with 592 yards and six touchdowns on 110 carries. He runs behind a line that Goad calls “big, athletic, and strong.”
Defensively, Fredericksburg is allowing less than 13 points a game since its season-opening loss to Burnet. Goad said the Billies are “big up front with quickness from their linebackers and secondary.”
“They run a split similar to what Wimberley showed us,” he said. “But they attack less and play really good technique. They are fundamentally sound and make it really hard to get big plays on them.”
The Billies also have a solid kicking game. Placekicker Gustavo Ortiz hit a 47-yard field goal in the district opener against Canyon Lake.
The Panthers, who will attempt on Friday to get to 8-0 for the first time in school history, have controlled their last three meetings with Fredericksburg. Last year, they fell behind early, 14-0, before taking over and turning the contest into a 54-23 rout.
Moffat said that, along with Wimberley, Navarro is “the program in this district that we want to be.”
“They have been so great because they run their system so well,” he said. “Their offense is hard to defend because they really get after you and they have a quarterback (Ty Durham) who throws well. And their defenders fly to the ball and attack.
“This will be an important game for both schools. We’re not used to being in this position, so I hope we handle it well.”
Kickoff is at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Erwin-Lee Field. Fans should arrive early as a large crowd is expected.
PANTHER NOTES: Friday’s game will be a “Pink Out” to raise awareness of Breast Cancer. Sponsored by the Navarro National Honor Society, fans attending the game are asked to wear pink and may also buy a shirt from the organization.
Navarro running back Luke Jaroszewski needs just 112 yards to reach the 1,000-yard mark for the season. It would be the eighth straight year in which the Panthers have had at least one rusher gain more than 1,000 yards.
The Panthers are dealing with a few injuries following last week’s game. Linebacker Jake Wright has a “tender ankle” and did not practice Monday. Receiver Desmond Smith is dealing with a “slightly separated shoulder,” while lineman Eric Hinkelmann is nursing bruised ribs. Goad believes all three should be ready to play on Friday.

bag-o-chips
10-23-2013, 06:59 AM
CL had turned the ball over on downs after long drives. They are in the 1st year of the slot so they are still learning like Navarro's 1st time 7 years ago. This is the only thing Navarro runs so it is doing well. Wimberley usually is the best at stopping it as they see it at least 2 times a year. Fred is a very good team and I remember they jumped on Navarro 14-0 early last year then Navarro took off and won. It will be closer this year and looks like it will be a great game.

banderafan
10-23-2013, 10:26 PM
Fredericksburg has surprised a lot of people, but Navarro wins this one.

Tejastrue
10-25-2013, 02:39 PM
I can only imagine how the atmosphere will be tonight at the stadium, much less how it has been this whole week at each school. Best of luck tonight to both teams.

bag-o-chips
10-25-2013, 08:26 PM
Navarro 14-7 half

regaleagle
10-25-2013, 09:28 PM
3rd qtr updates???

Tejastrue
10-25-2013, 09:40 PM
Navarro leads 29 -28 in the 4th.

Mojo84
10-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Like I said, it's not the same Fred we are used to.

Tejastrue
10-25-2013, 10:03 PM
I have a 31-29.. final the Billies win!!

Mojo84
10-25-2013, 10:03 PM
Just heard the final announced, I think they said 31-29 Fred.

regaleagle
10-25-2013, 10:21 PM
Woweee!!! Pardon my hidden exhuberance, but I've kinda adopted this team since I live outside of town. Next week is Wimberley, and they should be happy with this win by Fred. They are still in the hunt. And the Billies are on top of the district race right now, who'd a thunk that??? Congrats to Coach Moffett and the team for all that hard work that is now paying off. Word was that they really worked hard in the offseason in the weight room and in the summer. I'm happy for this town and this team right now.:clap: I didn't attend the game tonite, but sounds like I missed the best one of the year so far for the Billies. Don't know the storyline, but I'm sure the Panthers played a heckuva game as well, and are still in the hunt for the district crown. They are now pulling for Wimberley to defeat the Billies next week in Wimberley. This race is not over by a looong shot.

banderafan
10-25-2013, 10:38 PM
Fredericksburg has surprised a lot of people, but Navarro wins this one.

Fredericksburg can thank me later, my predictions are never right :)

regaleagle
10-25-2013, 10:41 PM
Fredericksburg can thank me later, my predictions are never right :)

On behalf of those Billie fans that are not Downlowers, a hearty thanks to you banderafan. And BTW, a big congrats to your team tonite on a watershed win over Boerne. Exciting times tonite for both schools and fans.

NastySlot
10-25-2013, 10:45 PM
Woweee!!! Pardon my hidden exhuberance, but I've kinda adopted this team since I live outside of town. Next week is Wimberley, and they should be happy with this win by Fred. They are still in the hunt. And the Billies are on top of the district race right now, who'd a thunk that??? Congrats to Coach Moffett and the team for all that hard work that is now paying off. Word was that they really worked hard in the offseason in the weight room and in the summer. I'm happy for this town and this team right now.:clap: I didn't attend the game tonite, but sounds like I missed the best one of the year so far for the Billies. Don't know the storyline, but I'm sure the Panthers played a heckuva game as well, and are still in the hunt for the district crown. They are now pulling for Wimberley to defeat the Billies next week in Wimberley. This race is not over by a looong shot.

To be honest these classes have been working in the wt room since jh and Lance and his staff came in hit ground running and working hard. Congrats to Coach Moffett and his staff and the team Great Job you ve all earned this.

NastySlot
10-25-2013, 11:00 PM
hope this works:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/high_school/scoreboard/?site=default&mkt=sanantonio&Season=2013&tpl=Boxscore&ID=181037&Sport=&TeamID=4188&SearchType=Teams

must of been a great finish....FG with 00:00 on the clock.

LH Panther Mom
10-25-2013, 11:02 PM
hope this works:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/high_school/scoreboard/?site=default&mkt=sanantonio&Season=2013&tpl=Boxscore&ID=181037&Sport=&TeamID=4188&SearchType=Teams

must of been a great finish....FG with 00:00 on the clock.
:clap:

bag-o-chips
10-25-2013, 11:03 PM
Congrats to Fred. What little I did see was a whale of a game. People from Fred. are classy as well. Navarro turned the ball over on Downs with 20 seconds. fred did a little razzle dazzle and kicked a Fg with time running out!Congrats to both on a hard fought game!

Tejastrue
10-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Congrats to both teams. Sounds like it was a heck of a game. I was tempted to go to this one. As it turns out it would have been the better choice. In spite of my Texans being down this year it is great to see the district getting stronger as a whole.