PDA

View Full Version : My Thoughts on Nick Gholson

Matthew328
10-18-2013, 02:33 PM
Nick Gholson was a legendary sports writer in Wichita Falls, he covered many, many events including the Olympics and won several awards. He passed away last weekend and I figured I'd post a little something about him.

Mr.Gholson, (as I called him) was the kinda guy who had a gruff exterior but once he knew and respected you was as nice as they come...I learned that lesson the in my second year in the business in the Memorial Stadium pressbox after the Oil Bowl...me and Diggs were violating pressbox etiquete by holding a jovial conversation after the game while the guys who were trying to meet deadline were toiling away....Mr. Gholson in his own unique way corrected us and then after the game told me that I knew what I was talking about, but I was just a little loud...lol After that me and Mr. Gholson ran into each other at least once a year and we always had a good time talking football.

I saw Mr. Gholson for the last time at the state championships, he was covering Munday and you could tell he was not in the best of health but his mind was still quick as a whip and he was as nice as could be...he wasn't working but instead just hanging out taking it all in.....he seemed at peace and happy....I certainly hope he has that same peace when he left us.

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2013/oct/13/nick-gholson-do-not-post/