PDA

View Full Version : Need a ruling from the court:

Farmersfan
10-16-2013, 08:09 AM
In a 2A game this last week between Caddo Mills and Pottsboro we had a issue come up. I need everyone's opinion. The game went into a 3rd overtime. Apparently the UIL rule states that in the 3rd OT each team must go for a 2 point conversion and that a 1 point conversion will not be allowed. After Pottsboro scored first in the 3rd overtime they kicked the 1 point PAT and it was allowed by the refs. Then Caddo Mills scored a touchdown and elected to go for a 2 point conversion to win and failed. The game ended in a 62-61 win for Pottsboro. Now everybody involved from the Caddo Mills perspective is saying the 1 point conversion for Pottsboro has to be disallowed by the district committee and the game put in the books as a tie. My opinion is that giving this game a "TIE" is just as incorrect as allowing the 1 point conversion to count and 2 wrongs cannot make a right. Even if it was against the rules the game did end in a Pottsboro win. If the Pottsboro 1 point PAT was allowed then the Caddo Mills 1 point PAT would have been allowed also. The Caddo Mills coach ELECTED to go for the win and failed. If Caddo Mills had been successful on the 2 point conversion we wouldn't even be discussing this now. Seems to me it's only an issue because they failed. What do you guys think?

Txbroadcaster
10-16-2013, 08:21 AM
In a 2A game this last week between Caddo Mills and Pottsboro we had a issue come up. I need everyone's opinion. The game went into a 3rd overtime. Apparently the UIL rule states that in the 3rd OT each team must go for a 2 point conversion and that a 1 point conversion will not be allowed. After Pottsboro scored first in the 3rd overtime they kicked the 1 point PAT and it was allowed by the refs. Then Caddo Mills scored a touchdown and elected to go for a 2 point conversion to win and failed. The game ended in a 62-61 win for Pottsboro. Now everybody involved from the Caddo Mills perspective is saying the 1 point conversion for Pottsboro has to be disallowed by the district committee and the game put in the books as a tie. My opinion is that giving this game a "TIE" is just as incorrect as allowing the 1 point conversion to count and 2 wrongs cannot make a right. Even if it was against the rules the game did end in a Pottsboro win. If the Pottsboro 1 point PAT was allowed then the Caddo Mills 1 point PAT would have been allowed also. The Caddo Mills coach ELECTED to go for the win and failed. If Caddo Mills had been successful on the 2 point conversion we wouldn't even be discussing this now. Seems to me it's only an issue because they failed. What do you guys think?

bad call..nothing more IMO

SHSBulldog00
10-16-2013, 08:24 AM
The call will stand even though the ref's screwed up on the ruling.

Red&White_9x5
10-16-2013, 08:28 AM
like any other bad/ blown call by an official, the result will stand. Pottsboro should not have been allowed to kick the PAT, but they were. Wrong call, but it will stand

coach
10-16-2013, 09:10 AM
It was Romo's fault.

Kidding.

this rule was one of the reasons why Nacogdoches and Jacksonville played in a 12 overtime game a few years ago.

GrTigers6
10-16-2013, 09:31 AM
That's why every crew member should know the OT rules. We had our first last Friday between Perrin Whit and Munday. It went into Double OT with Munday scoring a TD after Perrin bounced their kick off the upright. Great game by the way. Perrin scored with 09 left on the clock to tie it. only to lose in OT

YTBulldogs
10-16-2013, 12:39 PM
:doh:

Rabid Cougar
10-16-2013, 01:17 PM
:doh:

Interesting Chapter meeting for sure.

Macarthur
10-16-2013, 01:21 PM
Yeah, it stands. Blown call for sure but it stands.

TexMike
10-16-2013, 01:52 PM
It stands but I would not be surprised to see it re-surface should it have some bearing on the final playoff seedings. I can smell a lawyer waiting to make a case knowing how some communities deal with this type of adversity

Bassact
10-16-2013, 04:26 PM
It stands but I would not be surprised to see it re-surface should it have some bearing on the final playoff seedings. I can smell a lawyer waiting to make a case knowing how some communities deal with this type of adversity

Maybe different for HS but in College I'm pretty sure the rule is that in the 3rd OT period the team with the second possesion has to go for the win.

TexMike
10-16-2013, 09:15 PM
Actually in the 3rd OT , BOTH teams have to go for 2. Even if they have the first possession of that OT period

GrTigers6
10-17-2013, 06:39 AM
Even though the officials made a mistake it didn't cause Caddo to lose. They could have gone for the tie, but they chose to go for the win.

Farmersfan
10-17-2013, 10:00 AM
Even though the officials made a mistake it didn't cause Caddo to lose. They could have gone for the tie, but they chose to go for the win.

This was my comment. If the refs allowed the Pottsboro 1 pointer but forced Caddo to go for 2 then I might feel differently. But the Caddo Mills coach chose to go for 2 and the win and we wouldn't even be having this issue if they had not failed on it. So regardless of whether it was illegal or not it didn't give one team the advantage over the other. And granting a tie now would effectively screw one of the other teams in this district out of a possible playoff spot. In my opinion granting a tie when a tie wasn't earned and screwing a third part out of a playoff spot would be far, far more unfair than letting this game stand as it played out.

TexMike
10-17-2013, 10:33 AM
Well....actually the game did end in a tie. The point is disallowed by rule which means the final score is a tie.

CenTexSports
10-17-2013, 10:49 AM
I am not sure that I agree with you. If the officials had told the coaches that the 3rd OT requires a 2 point try and they still kicked then yes the point is disallowed. But to take the point away after the game was over is not an option.

It is almost unbelievable that at least one of the 5 officials and probably 10+ coaches would not catch this immediately.

Farmersfan
10-17-2013, 03:39 PM
Well....actually the game did end in a tie. The point is disallowed by rule which means the final score is a tie.

"By rule" a player is not allowed to hold another player! "By rule" a block in the back is not allowed! "By Rule" pass interference is not allowed! Should we change the final outcome of every game where any of these rules weren't enforced? And there is also the fact that "By rule" Pottsboro should not have been allowed to kick the PAT and should have been required to go for 2! but they were. Shouldn't we also correct that now?

Farmersfan
10-17-2013, 03:47 PM
I am not sure that I agree with you. If the officials had told the coaches that the 3rd OT requires a 2 point try and they still kicked then yes the point is disallowed. But to take the point away after the game was over is not an option.

It is almost unbelievable that at least one of the 5 officials and probably 10+ coaches would not catch this immediately.

If you are a referee and you mistakenly let team A kick a 1 point PAT and then don't realize your mistake until later when team B is about to go for their PAT, what do you do? I'm thinking these refs made the mistake, realized they made the mistake and tried to make it as fair as they could by also allowing Caddo Mills to kick a 1 point PAT in the 3rd OT. I'm betting the Caddo Mills coach was well aware he was going to be allowed to kick if he wanted to but he decided to go for 2 points and the win. That's why I'm thinking none of the bitching is coming from the players or the coaches. It's the fans who are doing the loudest crying.

Farmersfan
10-17-2013, 03:50 PM

Is it logical at all to think the Pottsboro coach was told a kicked PAT would not count and he STILL kicked the point?

TexMike
10-17-2013, 08:47 PM
I could care less what the District and the UIL decides to do. There is a difference though between the rules you cited and this rule. They did not foul by going for 1 . In fact, we have taught ever since this rule came into being that as long as we are sure a team knows that going for 1 will be a waste of time, we have done our part. If they line up and kick it, so be it, but we will not recognize the point they would normally get if the kicked it. And since officials do no9t turn in or sign a scorebook like they do in some other sports, the officials really are not certifying a "final" score as THE score or a "winner" as "THE" winner.

Emerson1
10-17-2013, 10:12 PM
The Caddo Mills coach should have never allowed it to happen. Any chance he let it happen so they could get the win by going for 2?

bigwood33
10-17-2013, 10:54 PM
That's exactly what I think. The official can't just change the rules on the fly....he doesn't have the authority to make that decision.

zebrablue2
10-17-2013, 11:44 PM
This was my thought exactly!!!

Farmersfan
10-18-2013, 11:36 AM
The Caddo Mills coach should have never allowed it to happen. Any chance he let it happen so they could get the win by going for 2?

Perhaps he felt the point by Pottsboro wasn't going to be allowed so by going for 2 and failing the worse he would suffer was a tie game?
I also find it hard to believe a coach that KNEW the point would not be allowed would elect to kick it anyway. Maybe the Farmersville coach would but not many others..................

Celina8
10-18-2013, 12:56 PM
What will only matter in this game is not so much what the members here on 3A Downlow say, but actually what the District Determines about he final outcome of this game. Then from that point it can probably be appealed to the UIL who will make a final determination. If none of those things happend then the Final outcome that currently stands will remain. We can speculate and disagree, but the question is has this been taken to the District or a meeting set by the District to Review the outcome of the game. If so when and where does this take place and we can watch what happens.

Emerson1
10-18-2013, 01:14 PM
Perhaps he felt the point by Pottsboro wasn't going to be allowed so by going for 2 and failing the worse he would suffer was a tie game?
I also find it hard to believe a coach that KNEW the point would not be allowed would elect to kick it anyway. Maybe the Farmersville coach would but not many others..................

That's his fault for wanting to win or tie based on a decision off of the field. They deserve to lose.

Phil C
10-18-2013, 09:26 PM
Why didn't they give the losing team the option to go for one point. Be fair.

zebrablue2
10-19-2013, 01:10 AM
Why didn't they give the losing team the option to go for one point. Be fair.

there was no losing team, game is a tie. If the 2 would have been made, you would have a winner.

Celina8
10-19-2013, 06:37 AM
Wait, I am confused. I thought Pottsboro was officially considered the Winner by the District (even with the 1 point kick that should not have been allowed by the Refs). This then is why the Fans from Caddo are upset (per the UIL Rules Pottsboro should not have been allowed to kick for the extra point I understand that, but they did) and they want the District to change Pottsboro's victory now to a Tie. My question is has the District now changed that Victory to a Tie?