PDA

View Full Version : BAE Closing June 2014 in Sealy

SHSBulldog00
10-15-2013, 12:11 PM
BAE Systems is a global company engaged in the development, delivery and support of advanced defense, security and aerospace systems in the air, on land and sea. 325 to lose jobs

http://www.khou.com/news/local/BAE-announces-closure-of-Sealy-facility-325-to-lose-jobs-227835141.html

zebrablue2
10-15-2013, 10:48 PM
Thank our pres Obamba, he does not like Texas!!!

regaleagle
10-16-2013, 12:20 AM
I got news for you folks out there in 3A DL land....there will be many more businesses closing in 2014 and 2015. That is now a reality. It's just a matter of time. Prepare yourselves for the inevitable. There is no escaping this worldwide debt crisis. It will take some time before a new monetary system that is workable worldwide is put into place. In the meantime, things will get dicey....even if you're loaded.

Old Tiger
10-16-2013, 12:57 AM
How much land and etc do they have? I read where SpaceX is looking for a launch site near houston.

OldBison75
10-16-2013, 01:08 AM
More importantly to this thread--how will this have an effect on the Sealy enrollment. Lots of employees there and the supporting businesses will suffer too.

Aesculus gilmus
10-16-2013, 06:06 AM
Thank our pres Obamba, he does not like Texas!!!

Not to take up for him at all (I stopped voting years before he ran), but I think Texas did not like him first.

And since all Texans know he is really a Muslim and not a Christian as he says, he is under no obligation to "forgive" Texas of anything.

Old Tiger
10-16-2013, 07:04 AM
People who blame presidents for everything are ignorant.

Manso/V8
10-16-2013, 08:00 AM
In this case, the long time govt contract that BAE had went to a company in Wisconsin shortly after Obama was elected.
They lost the contract on price, or the perception of price.
There was a big staff reduction then and have been hanging on by a thread ever since.

It is not good for the local economy, but I doubt if the enrollment in area schools will be impacted dramatically.

SHSBulldog00
10-16-2013, 08:14 AM
More importantly to this thread--how will this have an effect on the Sealy enrollment. Lots of employees there and the supporting businesses will suffer too.

I don't think it will affect them this coming alignment, but they will have 4A DII numbers while competing in 4A DI

OldBison75
10-16-2013, 10:19 AM
It is my understanding that the plant employs 395 workers full time and there are several associated suppliers that are in the area that employ another 100. That is about 500 workers affected and could result in a lot of people moving out. I could see the School losing a bunch of students, however, like SHSU says, they will not be affected as far as classification in this alignment because the snapshot day will happen before the shutdown next spring.

Manso/V8
10-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Sure, it has an impact, but a few years ago they lost around 2700 jobs.
It impacts the area, probably Sealy more than others, but the people that work at BAE and ancillary businesses live all around the area, so the impact will be be divided among districts.
I'm sure some even drive out from Katy.

In my experience, most of the people in this area live here because they are from here, or they moved here looking for a rural/small town lifestyle.
My guess is that most of the BAE workers will find another job in the area, or commute to a job closer to Houston.
There are a lot of smaller companies that support the oil and gas industry in these parts.

speedbump
10-16-2013, 03:43 PM
It is my understanding that the plant employs 395 workers full time and there are several associated suppliers that are in the area that employ another 100. That is about 500 workers affected and could result in a lot of people moving out. I could see the School losing a bunch of students, however, like SHSU says, they will not be affected as far as classification in this alignment because the snapshot day will happen before the shutdown next spring.

There are about as many people working there from Eagle Lake as there are from Sealy. Also several other of the surrounding towns. Wallace, Brookshire and the great majority of corporate types live in Houston. It won't have much of an impact on Sealy enrollment.

nt7on7
10-16-2013, 04:31 PM
I got news for you folks out there in 3A DL land....there will be many more businesses closing in 2014 and 2015. That is now a reality. It's just a matter of time. Prepare yourselves for the inevitable. There is no escaping this worldwide debt crisis. It will take some time before a new monetary system that is workable worldwide is put into place. In the meantime, things will get dicey....even if you're loaded.

If I had $1 for everytime I heard someone say things like this, I could fund any budget deficit in America. 10 years ago, it was going to be that gold would be higher than the Dow. Didn't happen.

In my lifetime...

Reagan shot - nothing happened
3 Mile Island - nothing happened
Iran Hostages - nothing happened
Gas Rationing - nothing happened
1st Gulf War - nothing happened
Y2K - nothing happened
Twin Towers brought down - nothing happened
2nd Gulf War - nothing happened
Financial meltdown - nothing happened

Yeah, I know. I know. Stuff happened. But it didn't happen to the people who kept investing and didn't worry about Chicken Little's. One day, you and your ilk might be correct. However, you have been wrong so many, many, many times before that no one will listen. Don't tell me that it's different this time, because it's not. The only difference is that this time the President is black and seems to be anti-gun. For some reason, that seems to raise the hackles of the Chicken Little's even further.

duckhunter
10-16-2013, 04:45 PM
There are about as many people working there from Eagle Lake as there are from Sealy. Also several other of the surrounding towns. Wallace, Brookshire and the great majority of corporate types live in Houston. It won't have much of an impact on Sealy enrollment.

Wallace??? Is this a brand new town to the area that I've called home for over forty years?

Old Tiger
10-16-2013, 04:50 PM
If I had $1 for everytime I heard someone say things like this, I could fund any budget deficit in America. 10 years ago, it was going to be that gold would be higher than the Dow. Didn't happen.

In my lifetime...

Reagan shot - nothing happened
3 Mile Island - nothing happened
Iran Hostages - nothing happened
Gas Rationing - nothing happened
1st Gulf War - nothing happened
Y2K - nothing happened
Twin Towers brought down - nothing happened
2nd Gulf War - nothing happened
Financial meltdown - nothing happened

Yeah, I know. I know. Stuff happened. But it didn't happen to the people who kept investing and didn't worry about Chicken Little's. One day, you and your ilk might be correct. However, you have been wrong so many, many, many times before that no one will listen. Don't tell me that it's different this time, because it's not. The only difference is that this time the President is black and seems to be anti-gun. For some reason, that seems to raise the hackles of the Chicken Little's even further.
The private sector is picking up the slack for the public sector right now. More companies want to go private now.

regaleagle
10-16-2013, 06:29 PM
You're obviously not the kind of person that would take heed if the world was caving in around you, anyway. The post is not intentioned for blowhards like you. So just go crawl back into your little comfortable cubbiehole and enjoy yourself. Leave it to Beaver is coming on in a hour. Maybe you can watch that and remember how it used to be here in America. BTW, I'm not the one at risk.

Manso/V8
10-17-2013, 08:50 AM
The private sector is picking up the slack for the public sector right now. More companies want to go private now.

I think you got your "defernitions" mixed up there a bit.

1st and goal
10-17-2013, 04:47 PM
People who blame presidents for everything are ignorant.

Yah, like all those including Oblahblah that said it was Bush's fault.