PDA

View Full Version : Baylor Player Suspended for Unflagged Hit

bag-o-chips
10-15-2013, 06:54 AM
And Mike Davis says I would do it again!! You know who the Bevo - I mean Big 12-2 sides with now!

http://www.ourdailybears.com/baylor-bears-vs-iowa-state-cyclones-2013/2013/10/14/4838160/big-12-suspends-corey-coleman-for-unflagged-hit-vs-kansas-state

bobcat1
10-15-2013, 07:04 AM
You have got to be kidding me.

Txbroadcaster
10-15-2013, 07:05 AM
I will take a comment from the site you posted

Have different rules.

Not that I think Mike Davis is right in what he did, but an illegal block below the waist and even a late hit only receive 15 yard penalties. Mike Davis was flagged during the game and the 15 yard penalty was assessed.

Targeting the head, however, results in an ejection and a penalty. Because this penalty was not assessed during the game, he is being suspended for one half. The question remains if that is an illegal block or not, but we have a strong WR corps and I am confident our team will be fine for one half without him.

panfan
10-15-2013, 07:11 AM
I will take a comment from the site you posted

Have different rules.

Not that I think Mike Davis is right in what he did, but an illegal block below the waist and even a late hit only receive 15 yard penalties. Mike Davis was flagged during the game and the 15 yard penalty was assessed.

Targeting the head, however, results in an ejection and a penalty. Because this penalty was not assessed during the game, he is being suspended for one half. The question remains if that is an illegal block or not, but we have a strong WR corps and I am confident our team will be fine for one half without him.

Dead on newsman.

bag-o-chips
10-15-2013, 07:24 AM
The hit mike Davis did would be severely dealt with had it been in the NFL. I just think it should have been dealt with more than a slap on the wrist. Could have easily ended a season and a career with that and the Big 12 easily could have done a suspension as easily as they are on the Baylor player.

Txbroadcaster
10-15-2013, 07:30 AM
The hit mike Davis did would be severely dealt with had it been in the NFL. I just think it should have been dealt with more than a slap on the wrist. Could have easily ended a season and a career with that and the Big 12 easily could have done a suspension as easily as they are on the Baylor player.

He would have been fined and nothing else...Ndamukong Suh did almost exact same thing and he has a dirty play rap sheet and was only fined.

GrTigers6
10-15-2013, 08:36 AM
From what I can see is that is a legal block. I would like to see more of the play to see if possibly it was a blind side block or not. but from what the video shows its legal. He is not defenseless nor did he lead with the crown.

Txbroadcaster
10-15-2013, 08:38 AM
From what I can see is that is a legal block. I would like to see more of the play to see if possibly it was a blind side block or not. but from what the video shows its legal. He is not defenseless nor did he lead with the crown.

they claim it is because he left his feet..I have not seen any video that shows that

coach
10-15-2013, 08:39 AM
thug

GrTigers6
10-15-2013, 08:40 AM
they claim it is because he left his feet..I have not seen any video that shows that

He did but only after contact according to that video. When he makes contact with the player his left foot is pushing off the ground so it would be difficult to claim that he launched. I don't see what they are seeing I guess

Txbroadcaster
10-15-2013, 08:42 AM
He did but only after contact according to that video. When he makes contact with the player his left foot is pushing off the ground so it would be difficult to claim that he launched. I don't see what they are seeing I guess

same here

Rabid Cougar
10-15-2013, 09:12 AM
Easy, Davis plays at tu and Coleman plays for bu.

from what I see they are seeing the shoulder hit the neck area.

Emerson1
10-15-2013, 09:24 AM
What is the exact rule? All I could find was this on a blog by Mike Pereira...

The targeting rule is as follows:

• No player shall target and initiate contact vs. opponent with the crown of his helmet.
• No player shall target and initiate contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent.

I don't see why people think Mike Davis' hit was targeting. The knee isn't the head or neck area. If he had gone for the head he probably would have been. Since the defender was focusing on the ball carrier he was defenseless.

The Baylor guy blew up the defender in the head with his shoulder. If Mike's guy was defenseless than Coleman's guy definitely was..

caleb_mccaig
10-15-2013, 09:32 AM
I think it was a good call since the targeting rule is stated as follows in the rulebook.....

Targeting: Players shall not get lit up without suspension or penalty of 15 yards.

MajorApplehorn
10-15-2013, 10:05 AM
If they are suspending after the fact, when are they going to get the OU kid who punched the Texas guy in the head during the punt return for a TD?

coach
10-15-2013, 10:07 AM

• No player shall target and initiate contact vs. opponent with the crown of his helmet.
• No player shall target and initiate contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent.

I don't see why people think Mike Davis' hit was targeting. The knee isn't the head or neck area. If he had gone for the head he probably would have been. Since the defender was focusing on the ball carrier he was defenseless.

The Baylor guy blew up the defender in the head with his shoulder. If Mike's guy was defenseless than Coleman's guy definitely was..

By rule its not targetting, but imo he targetted a defenseless player for the intent to hurt him. In fact, it was a cheap and a cowardly hit. If you think Mike Davis' hit wasnt dirty than there is something wrong with you. I dont see how ppl are defending him. Should he be suspended, probably not, but I think that deserves a suspnsion over some of these guys who are getting suspended for targetting. With them they aregoing full sped and its hard to control themselves. With Mike Davis, he knew exactl what he was doing and did it on purpose. Its chicken **** if you ask me.

coach
10-15-2013, 10:08 AM
If they are suspending after the fact, when are they going to get the OU kid who punched the Texas guy in the head during the punt return for a TD?

lol i saw that and said he just got away with punching a guy. I was shocked it wasnt called, but that crew caled an awful game. Several blown calls on both teams.

coach
10-15-2013, 10:10 AM
I think it was a good call since the targeting rule is stated as follows in the rulebook.....

Targeting: Players shall not get lit up without suspension or penalty of 15 yards.

We had a kid demolish a wr in the endzone last friday. It broke he kids jaw, gave him a concussion and acut bleeding of the brain. The hit was completely legal and there was not a flag thrown. The opposing team never argued and after the kid woke up and was out of the hospital he applauded our kid for playing the game the right way. Kinda shocking, I kow. Violence is apart of the game and he accepted it. Pretty good for only being a sophomore

Rabid Cougar
10-15-2013, 10:11 AM

Davis hit was not targeting. It is blocking low. Totally different rule. There is a long explanation for this with "Restricted players", "unrestricted players" and "low blocking zone". This IS a new NCAA rule for 2013/2014.

GrTigers6
10-15-2013, 10:20 AM

Targeting: Players shall not get lit up without suspension or penalty of 15 yards.According to your wording the player getting hit will be penalized. lol and that's not what the rule says. just so you know

Txbroadcaster
10-15-2013, 10:30 AM
Davis hit was not targeting. It is blocking low. Totally different rule. There is a long explanation for this with "Restricted players", "unrestricted players" and "low blocking zone". This IS a new NCAA rule for 2013/2014.

and Davis got caught and was penalized..nothing more really to do

cougartino
10-15-2013, 10:49 AM
thug

I believe in the freedom of speech. But be careful throwing the "T word" out there. I grew up in an urban neighborhood in Houston where real thugs did nothing but reek havoc. HPD wouldn't even get out of their cars. What you see on TV doesn't even scratch the surface of a thug.

Emerson1
10-15-2013, 11:05 AM
By rule its not targetting, but imo he targetted a defenseless player for the intent to hurt him. In fact, it was a cheap and a cowardly hit. If you think Mike Davis' hit wasnt dirty than there is something wrong with you. I dont see how ppl are defending him. Should he be suspended, probably not, but I think that deserves a suspnsion over some of these guys who are getting suspended for targetting. With them they aregoing full sped and its hard to control themselves. With Mike Davis, he knew exactl what he was doing and did it on purpose. Its chicken **** if you ask me.

As cheap as it was it still wasn't targeting. Which people were screaming as the reason he should be suspended.

Txbroadcaster
10-15-2013, 11:07 AM
Davis committed a stupid foul and it was called...no different than a defender hitting someone late out of bounds..dumb play and penalty assessed

coach
10-15-2013, 12:17 PM
As cheap as it was it still wasn't targeting. Which people were screaming as the reason he should be suspended.

you are right, its not targetting by rule, but I wouldnt be surprised if they look into it and make a change to where that will be considred targetting as well.

bobcat1
10-15-2013, 07:32 PM

With you on that 100%. Mike Davis meant to take that guy out.

Old Tiger
10-15-2013, 08:43 PM

IMO the Kansas State defender wasn't defenseless, he was near the play that occured and if not for that block could have made the tackle.

Here is the full play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4WvuBwhrloo#t=10

He never left his feet to launch.

bobcat1
10-15-2013, 10:43 PM
You are correct OT.

Txbroadcaster
10-15-2013, 11:58 PM

yep I agree..that is why I do not like the targeting rule being auto ejection/suspension

Eagle 1
10-16-2013, 06:25 AM
Put dresses on them and start playing flag football.

coach
10-16-2013, 07:09 AM
yep I agree..that is why I do not like the targeting rule being auto ejection/suspension

Yea the auto ejection is stupid. and its even more stupid that they can review the penalty but not the ejection...

Txbroadcaster
10-16-2013, 07:45 AM
Yea the auto ejection is stupid. and its even more stupid that they can review the penalty but not the ejection...

other way around...they can review the ejection but not the penalty

coach
10-16-2013, 07:48 AM
other way around...they can review the ejection but not the penalty

lol yea thats what i meant. Its too early and I have 50 12 year olds I am trying to watch

Txbroadcaster
10-16-2013, 07:52 AM
lol yea thats what i meant. Its too early and I have 50 12 year olds I am trying to watch

Tell them to shut up your doing important work on the internet LOL

Old Tiger
10-16-2013, 04:43 PM
Tell them to shut up your doing important work on the internet LOL

http://076dd0a50e0c1255009e-bd4b8aabaca29897bc751dfaf75b290c.r40.cf1.rackcdn.c om/images/files/000/530/782/original/original.jpg

^coach