PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Student-athlete policy at Wharton County Junior

Scoop27
10-14-2013, 06:46 PM
Don't know if anyone knew this at Wharton County Junior College implemented a few years ago that a student-athletes may only be on the team that lives or comes from the United States.
This wasn't the case back in the 1980s-90 as volleyball and rodeo teams had players from other countries. Baseball team had a few players also as well as when WCJC had a tennis team.

I'm pretty sure Alvin, Blinn, Laredo, San Jacinto, Lee College, Coastal Bend (two year colleges) allow students from other countries to play sports

maestro
10-14-2013, 07:29 PM
Sounds like a recruiting/budget policy, that's certainly their choice to make.

They could probably field quality teams within a 50 mile radius anyhow.

Old Tiger
10-14-2013, 07:30 PM
We had a foreign exchange chick in Rockdale when I was there. She did pole vault in track, she was good with the pole.

Blastoderm55
10-14-2013, 07:52 PM
We have student-athletes from as far away as Ireland this year at CBC. If WCJC has no foreign students on their roster, it may because they do not recruit them. I personally do not understand why a JUCO would recruit from across the Atlantic.

Tom Foolery
10-15-2013, 09:21 AM
I dont know about you guys but i have a real problem with the Texas colleges using my tax dollars to give scholarships to foreign student athletes. I would rather see the runner up doubles team from any 3a district get the scholarship than some kid from Europe. All they do is come over here, go to our great schools free, then come back and beat us in the Ryder cup. I think it is far more important to reward our own kids for their hard work than it is to have a competitve soccer team that no one ever watches. Just sayin.

Rabid Cougar
10-15-2013, 10:15 AM
Every track team, soccer and tennis team in every public university in Texas has foreign students/athletes.

Txbroadcaster
10-15-2013, 10:18 AM
I dont know about you guys but i have a real problem with the Texas colleges using my tax dollars to give scholarships to foreign student athletes. I would rather see the runner up doubles team from any 3a district get the scholarship than some kid from Europe. All they do is come over here, go to our great schools free, then come back and beat us in the Ryder cup. I think it is far more important to reward our own kids for their hard work than it is to have a competitve soccer team that no one ever watches. Just sayin.

Tell that to a coach whose job is to win

cards4me
10-15-2013, 08:59 PM

The college cannot use tax dollars for scholarships. I think there should be limits on how many foreign athletes you can have. I know for a fact some of the foreign athletes I have been around are great kids. I think it is a good experience for the kids to play with and become friends with kids from other countries.

Scoop27
10-15-2013, 09:07 PM
But it's hard for WCJC to excel and advance in the playoffs against other two-year colleges that have foreign students. I don't know when WCJC changed the policy but back in the late 1990s they had two sisters from Brazil that helped the volleyball team finish 4th in nation. The rodeo team also had some members from other countries like Canada who made it to national. WCJC discontinued tennis over 15 years ago and had a lot of foreign players. I think the baseball team at one time had foreign players as well. I just though I'd post this forum when I talked to the WCJC athletic director a couple of days ago and he was telling me about this. Still this year's volleyball team is doing will and will make the playoffs

This is the WCJC president and board member believes in this policy. I don't think the general public could care less either way