PDA

View Full Version : UT & A&M Young&Mcneal

cunbed10
09-03-2003, 07:54 AM
Should these two young QB Come off the bench or should they start and help their teams?

Jimbotex40
09-03-2003, 08:05 AM
for A&M, long should start.

for t.u., young should start.

cunbed10
09-03-2003, 12:38 PM
Jimbotex40:

for t.u., young should start.I Don't know big Jimbo, people are saying that Mcneal is a better QB than Young, so I would have to second guess you there.

sinton66
09-03-2003, 12:42 PM
Jimbotex40:

for t.u., young should start.Vince Young plays for UT , t.u. is tulane university. :p

zeke
09-03-2003, 01:00 PM
I watched the UT game. No doubt Young is a great run threat at the QB spot. I would be really concerned with his deep ball when passing. On a 50 yard passing completion, he had about a 4 second hang time. The commentator even mentioned the ball was thrown so high it looked like a punt. If that's his throwing style, he'll have a lot of jump balls and possible picks when playing against tougher competition.

St. Ivender
09-03-2003, 01:11 PM
The guy has a cannon arm. I have to give former A&M RB Greg Hill credit for this, He said Chance Mock was like regular gasoline in a super-charged engine. Vincent Young would be like high octane super unleaded.

Memo to Mack Brown: GET V YOUNG IN THERE IF YOU WANT TO WIN.

<small>[ September 03, 2003, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: St. Ivender ]</small>

travis
09-03-2003, 01:23 PM
Here is a picture of the 60 yard pass Vince Young completed to Sloan Thomas in the Texas game against NMSU... kinda funny because it looks like his eyes were closed and his head was turned away from the direction of the receiver.

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/images/photo_galleries/2003_04/nm_st_083103/images/young_vince_02.jpg

St. Ivender
09-03-2003, 01:41 PM
Let's call it the new Heisman pose.

Gilmer Buckeye
09-03-2003, 02:17 PM
"... kinda funny because it looks like his eyes were closed and his head was turned away from the direction of the receiver."

I guess that's Vince Young's version of Rush Limbaugh's "half my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair."

If he actually played with his eyes open looking at the receivers, the opposing teams had might as well forfeit the game.

Count one more vote from this corner for Vince. Not that it's going to do any good. You can always count on Mack Brown to do the wrong thing in any "quarterback controversy."

We saw that with Applewhite/Simms. Mack had some kind of "hero worship" thing going with Phil Simms and seemed almost sweet on young Chris.

crzyjournalist03
09-03-2003, 02:22 PM
Being a Longhorn fan, I must say that I'm a fan of Chance Mock. I think he's more comfortable. He might not give the excitement that his backup would, but he'll be a lot more consistent. Young threw one good pass, and it even it was a risky throw. Mock brings the consistency, and consistency brings success.

zeke
09-03-2003, 03:49 PM
That was hilarious BUCKEYE....maybe his next feat will be to come out of the huddle blindfolded.

ST.IVENDER, In my eyes the mark of a cannon arm is a QB who can throw the ball 50 yards and it never gets 15 feet off the ground. I only saw Young throw that one deep pass...would love to see him get alot more televised gameday playing time before passing judgement. My main complaint on Simms the last few years was his desire to way too much air under his passes...it gave the DB's way too much time to recover and cover the Texas receivers. I'll bet most receivers would prefer a ball that comes in on a straight line as opposed to a ball that is dropping from the heavens.

Old Tiger
09-03-2003, 06:59 PM
Mcneal should start for sure.

Jimbotex40
09-03-2003, 07:07 PM
old tiger, i couldnt really tell if mcneals interception was his fault from a bad pass, or the WR's fault for a bad route. do you know?

one silly interception isnt my basis for him not starting, i just think long has a better arm, plus he runs a 4.6 which is plenty fast for a QB to scramble away in most cases.

sinton66
09-03-2003, 07:21 PM
In UT's case, I would look for more of the same basic plan that they used against NMSU. Mock will be the starter, and Young will get quality playing time towards the end of the games, at least for this year, and this is also assuming Mock keeps playing well.

<small>[ September 03, 2003, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

Sintonz_Wrecken
09-03-2003, 07:49 PM
Yea i think mock Will Play out the whole season but YOUNG will also get a lot of playing time He reminds me of micheal vick great speed(scrambler)...But i also heard that he could replace mock during the season so i dont know well see

Jimbotex40
09-04-2003, 07:48 AM
ttt

Bellville22
09-04-2003, 10:31 AM
Neither A&M QB was great in the opener, but remember, they are still learning a new system. McNeal's int. was a miscommunication, Murphy ran the post, Reggie threw the go, I can live w/ that. Dustin started off well, but absolutely got some receivers killed a couple times.

I personally think Reggie should start. He has more upside, but at the same time more downside. Against good teams... if Reggie plays well, he gives us a chance to win; if Reggie plays bad, we get blown out; with Dustin, there's not as much downside, but even if he plays well, we lose by a little. Dustin can keeps us in some games, but he doesn't have that other dimension Reggie has that can put 'em over the top, especially w/ no O-line! Reggie can make all the throws Dustin can, plus more (the sideline ball that needs to get there in a hurry), and we know what he can do w/ his legs.

Whatever the decision, it's gonna be a tough year for the Ags, their schedule, like many other Big XII schedules, is insane. 7-5 would be a good year. I'll take 6-6, 5-7 is very possible.

Next year is when I want to see some things start happening.

As for Texas, I love Vince, but he was going against a very tired NEW MEXICO STATE defense, that wasn't OU out there (who Reggie beat ;-) ). Tremendous talent, but I think they'll ease him along. Mock didn't do bad after settling down. W/ those weapons, I could probably play QB.

Jerry10ydCurl
09-04-2003, 10:53 AM
I believe both of them add the ability to scramble. I don't believe either one of them are that much better than the other one. However, Young is bigger and is surrounded by weapons. Young will have a much better season than McNeal.

Jimbotex40
09-04-2003, 11:29 AM
dude, thats an awesome login name.

Reveille
09-04-2003, 01:52 PM
Speaking of A&M and Texas, I thought you guys might get a laugh out of this one.

http://images.radcity.net/5492/497286.mp3

St. Ivender
09-04-2003, 02:31 PM
zeke:
That was hilarious BUCKEYE....maybe his next feat will be to come out of the huddle blindfolded.

ST.IVENDER, In my eyes the mark of a cannon arm is a QB who can throw the ball 50 yards and it never gets 15 feet off the ground. I only saw Young throw that one deep pass...would love to see him get alot more televised gameday playing time before passing judgement. My main complaint on Simms the last few years was his desire to way too much air under his passes...it gave the DB's way too much time to recover and cover the Texas receivers. I'll bet most receivers would prefer a ball that comes in on a straight line as opposed to a ball that is dropping from the heavens.The "rainbow" was an anomoly. Look for more "lasers"

Gilmer Buckeye
09-04-2003, 03:46 PM
Reveille, I am rolling on the floor. Gawdalmighty, that was funny! Thanks.

So it's not just me who noticed that Mack was spending way too much time admiring and commenting on Chris Simms' Nordic features, huh?

As the detractors like to say, "Nothing in Austin but Steers and queers." Every now and then, I have to grudgingly admit they may have a point.