PDA

View Full Version : Defensive line play gap control or penetration?

orange machine
10-13-2013, 07:29 PM
What do y'all think works better? Celina penetrates up the field and I've noticed that they penetrate to much sometimes and take themselves out of the play. When you play a good running team this exposes your defense. So do y'all think gap control would be better? When penetration works its awesome, but its very risky.

adoptedbuckeye
10-13-2013, 07:59 PM
I think penetration works well as long as you can trust your linebackers to stay home and do their job on run support. If the other team's qb is a running threat I say penetrate all night to wear him down. Playing it safe keeps him fresh then when you do blitz he will take off full speed.

hollywood
10-13-2013, 08:11 PM
Does Celina run a 3-4 or 4-3?

hollywood
10-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Stephenville runs a 3-4 and gets great penetration with the 3 DL. LB's are quick and control gaps.

orange machine
10-13-2013, 08:27 PM
Does Celina run a 3-4 or 4-3?

Neither most Celina people will say a 10-1, but its really the gap 8. Or it should be called pin your ears back and bring everybody but the safety and db's!

hollywood
10-13-2013, 09:10 PM
Neither most Celina people will say a 10-1, but its really the gap 8. Or it should be called pin your ears back and bring everybody but the safety and db's!

Lol... Well there ya go!

orange machine
10-13-2013, 09:19 PM
Lol... Well there ya go!

If your playing a run primary team its great, but when you play a team that can pass the defense can get you into trouble fast. I think for Celina to have succsess stopping say Argyles running game they need to play gap control and not penetrate. Last year Celina did their usual penetrate defense against Argyle and they ran all over the place because the defense penetrated to deep.

hollywood
10-13-2013, 09:58 PM
If your playing a run primary team its great, but when you play a team that can pass the defense can get you into trouble fast. I think for Celina to have succsess stopping say Argyles running game they need to play gap control and not penetrate. Last year Celina did their usual penetrate defense against Argyle and they ran all over the place because the defense penetrated to deep.

Yeah, I don't like that scheme at all. May be OK against mediocre 3A teams, but when up against the likes of Argyle, Gilmer, Carthage, Stephenville.. not going to cut it unless the defensive personnel is very talented.

regaleagle
10-13-2013, 10:04 PM
Come on in boys, the door's wide open, haha. OOPS....there goes the ball over there.

hollywood
10-13-2013, 10:17 PM
Now if Celina is playing a team like Avarado... Then it will work all night. They cannot throw the ball this season and have zero deep threat.

:D

toddg
10-13-2013, 10:42 PM
Now if Celina is playing a team like Avarado... Then it will work all night. They cannot throw the ball this season and have zero deep threat.

:D
we have a deep threat! oh....it involves a well executed jet sweep..dang!

hollywood
10-13-2013, 11:03 PM
we have a deep threat! oh....it involves a well executed jet sweep..dang!

Are you talking about the mini jetster? If so, he's pretty quick. You have to keep in mind when up against teams like STEPHENVILLE, they have speed to contain. Hehehe