PDA

View Full Version : Navarro vs. Wimberley

Snotbubbles
10-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Does WT's district winning streak continue?

Mojo84
10-12-2013, 10:47 AM
This should be a very good game. Would like to see it.

Snotbubbles
10-12-2013, 10:55 AM
I think the streak does end on the Texan home turf. Nice run. WT has lost last two home games, so--it's not like it use to be when you traveled to Wimberley. A automatic loss. WT will make a game of it through 3Q. Navarro "rushes" away late, 42-27. That "O" is unstoppable thus far.:eek:

catfish
10-12-2013, 07:02 PM
I think the streak does end on the Texan home turf. Nice run. WT has lost last two home games, so--it's not like it use to be when you traveled to Wimberley. A automatic loss. WT will make a game of it through 3Q. Navarro "rushes" away late, 42-27. That "O" is unstoppable thus far.:eek:

I will take that bet for $100.

Gone Fishing
10-12-2013, 09:00 PM

Thats funny catfish!!! I like your attitude....

Snotbubbles
10-12-2013, 09:19 PM
Thats funny catfish!!! I like your attitude....

I like his money more. :wave:

ogg
10-12-2013, 09:29 PM

That's pretty ballsy catfish, Navarro blewout San Antonio powerhouse Houston High. :)

Snotbubbles
10-12-2013, 09:35 PM
That's pretty ballsy catfish, Navarro blewout San Antonio powerhouse Houston High. :)

Tell 'em Ogg. :doh:

Gone Fishing
10-12-2013, 09:50 PM
and all the other private SA schools they play. lol

regaleagle
10-12-2013, 10:04 PM
If there is a team that can upset Navarro in this district race, Imo it would be this young Wimberley team that is in a transitional improving mode. Maybe this game is too early for this team....but maybe not. We'll find out Friday nite. At least they spelled Wimberley right this week in the header, lol.

Snotbubbles
10-12-2013, 11:56 PM
If there is a team that can upset Navarro in this district race, Imo it would be this young Wimberley team that is in a transitional improving mode. Maybe this game is too early for this team....but maybe not. We'll find out Friday nite. At least they spelled Wimberley right this week in the header, lol.

LOL. It's Gonsalez I have issues spelling eagle. Boy, LG handed it to them, huh? In regards to this one. I like WT, but--I seen early it's not the normal WT team and if they have issue's, it's stopping the run. I seen the LV game and they ran for nearly 350 yards on them. Not sure what LH ran for, but--I'm sure it was good. And, I see Navarro being maybe stronger than LH.

bag-o-chips
10-13-2013, 12:05 AM
SHHH don't say anything but Navarro threw the ball 12 times against Boerne and ran quite a few plays from the Gun! But we will take any disrespect we can get.

catfish
10-13-2013, 08:05 AM
All football teams are either getting better or worse each week.Coach Nelms teams always got better each game during the season.I expect Coach Warren's team to continue that trend.Although ,Navarro is a very good football team,and Coach Goad and his staff do a great job,I think the Texans win at home.

panfan
10-14-2013, 08:22 AM
Does WT's district winning streak continue?

Nope. Sorry Texans, Navarro takes this one by 2 TDs.

hollywood
10-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Where is Navarro?

panfan
10-14-2013, 09:39 AM
Where is Navarro?

Between New Braunfels and Seguin

hollywood
10-14-2013, 10:29 AM
Between New Braunfels and Seguin

Ok, so south of I-35. That explains it! lol

SHSBulldog00
10-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Navarro by 10

YTBulldogs
10-14-2013, 10:48 AM
Ok, so south of I-35. That explains it! lol

Use to be I-10 from ya'll. Moving further north.

panfan
10-14-2013, 10:57 AM
Where is Navarro?

Well the town is Geronimo - kind of smack dab in the middle of the triangle that makes up new braunfels, seguin, and San Marcos. Since I 35 is north and south for the most part, not sure what you mean by south of 35?

hollywood
10-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Well the town is Geronimo - kind of smack dab in the middle of the triangle that makes up new braunfels, seguin, and San Marcos. Since I 35 is north and south for the most part, not sure what you mean by south of 35?

Gotcha... I'm somewhat familiar with that area. Seguin is on I-10. Have family that lives just outside of Schulenburg.

Tejastrue
10-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Gotta think positive. Wimberley will make a statement to the naysayers. Texans by 10.

Manso/V8
10-14-2013, 03:26 PM
Gotta think positive. Wimberley will make a statement to the naysayers. Texans by 10.

By 10? Does WT have a kicker?

ogg
10-14-2013, 05:47 PM
SHHH don't say anything but Navarro threw the ball 12 times against Boerne and ran quite a few plays from the Gun! But we will take any disrespect we can get.

Yup, we remember those 3rd down pass plays over the middle last year.

LV_Bearfan
10-14-2013, 07:35 PM
Will Navarro and WT both go D2?

Mojo84
10-14-2013, 08:09 PM
They will pass. Caught us by surprise every stinking time. Couldn't figure out how we let them get that wide open all night. Too focused on stopping the run I guess.

Tejastrue
10-14-2013, 08:10 PM
By 10? Does WT have a kicker?

I was thinking more along the lines of a td, 2 pt conversion, and a safety. lol...seriously though, we need to be more consistant on the kicking game...snaps, ball handling/placement etc..

ExTex
10-14-2013, 09:37 PM
Navarro is always tough. Their slot T is deadly but i have a feeling Cockerham will have a pretty good gameplan.

Gone Fishing
10-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Wimberley coaches know Navarro's offense very well. So we will be prepared to stop it. It will be a matter of match ups. Our safeties have to play their best game of the year. They have to have great run support ,but unlike LH's slot-T, Navarro will hit that quick pass and try it often. It happened several times in last years game and except for a late TD drive and score at the end they had us beat. I don't know much about Navarro's D, but we will have to score at least 4 TD's maybe more to win. I want to keep the streak a live, go Texans. Ive never not voted for a Texan win so you got my vote in a nail biter game.....

Johnny Utah
10-15-2013, 05:05 PM
Wimberley coaches know Navarro's offense very well. So we will be prepared to stop it. It will be a matter of match ups. Our safeties have to play their best game of the year. They have to have great run support ,but unlike LH's slot-T, Navarro will hit that quick pass and try it often. It happened several times in last years game and except for a late TD drive and score at the end they had us beat. I don't know much about Navarro's D, but we will have to score at least 4 TD's maybe more to win. I want to keep the streak a live, go Texans. Ive never not voted for a Texan win so you got my vote in a nail biter game.....

Very impressed with what Coach Goad and staff have done at Navarro. They are contending in 3a after the move up. On paper, past history, all things considered you would think Wimberley runs away with this one....but not so fast. Navarro will give them a game so I say it will be a toss up. Good luck to both.

Tejastrue
10-15-2013, 07:26 PM
The playing field has been leveled between these two teams. Great program in Navarro and some great people live there and support the team. I know Fredericksburg is making some noise but I think the winner of this game takes the D-27 title.

Hey bag-o-chips, how do the boys like the new turf there in Navarro?

bag-o-chips
10-16-2013, 12:19 AM
New Lights new Turf! They like it !

bag-o-chips
10-16-2013, 12:20 AM
Panthers, Texans clash in Wimberley

Marquee matchup
Helmets courtesy of txhshelmetproject.com

Marquee matchup

Navarro (6-0, 1-0) will look to knock off defending District 27-3A champion Wimberley (3-3, 1-0) on Friday night. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. at Texan Stadium.

Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 12:00 am

Scot Kibbe | 0 comments

WIMBERLEY — For three straight years, one team has stood between the Navarro Panthers and a District 27-3A championship — the Wimberley Texans.

The Panthers (6-0, 1-0) will try to knock that barrier down on Friday when they visit Wimberley (3-3, 1-0) in a crucial district contest.

Wimberley has been the fly in Navarro’s ointment since the Panthers moved up to Class 3A in 2010. The Texans have defeated Navarro four times in those three years, including a quarterfinal playoff victory in 2010. The Panthers have finished second behind Wimberley in the district race each of those years.

The Panthers’ record against other teams in the district since 2010 is 12-1, with their only loss coming to Canyon Lake in 2011.

The Texans were fairly dominant in their previous meetings with the Panthers. The exception was last year, when Navarro dominated statistically but fell to Wimberley on a missed extra point, 21-20.

Navarro head coach Les Goad believes that even though his team lost, the tightness of the contest helped propel his team to win 12 of their last 13 games.

“We got a lot of confidence from that game,” he said. “Our kids saw that we were now at or near an equal footing with Wimberley and that has carried over.”

Of course, the Texans have been a pain for more than Navarro. They have won 18 straight district games and all 16 since the Panthers joined their district. They grabbed state championships in 2005 and 2011 and have reached at least the quarterfinals in five of the last eight years.

Some things have changed at Wimberley since last year. Longtime head coach Weldon Nelms left for Weatherford and was replaced by offensive coordinator Doug Warren.

The Texans are also off to a less-than-stellar mark at 3-3. Their non-district schedule, however, included such powers as Giddings, La Vernia, Liberty Hill and Class 4A Dripping Springs.

Warren said he believes the schedule “prepares us for the battles” of district play.

“The only way to get better is to play good, quality opponents,” he said. “It shows us our strengths and weaknesses so we’re ready when the games really mean something.”

The Texans certainly seemed prepared when they opened district last week with a 47-7 thumping of Bandera.

Goad said Wimberley still runs much the same offense and defense as the Panthers have seen in previous years. But he said the Texans are attacking more on defense and will move their defensive front around.

Quarterback Colton Cerday is the key to the Texans’ offense, according to Goad. He said Cerday is an accurate passer but does not run as much as previous Wimberley quarterbacks. He will throw bubble screens, crossing and stop routes, and run the lead toss to the deep back out of the I-formation.

Goad believes the Texans’ best player is West Lambert, who plays both running back and linebacker. He says Wimberley’s defense may be even better than last year. The Texans’ have held the normally high-scoring Panther offense to barely 17 points a game in their previous four meetings.

Goad said Wimberley tends to defend his team’s Slot-T offense by “trying to penetrate and cut off the pulling lineman, cutting off our misdirection and bringing pressure off the edges so it is hard to run sweeps.”

But you do not get to be 6-0 with an average victory margin of nearly 23 points without having a few things going for you. That was evident last week when the Panthers rolled 44-20 over Boerne, a projected playoff team.

Warren sees plenty from Navarro that concerns him.

“They are always well-coached and fundamentally sound and their linemen come off the ball and knock you around,” he said. “But this year they have a lot of confidence in their skilled players so they are breaking formation more by getting in the shotgun and showing three wide receivers. It is always hard to prepare for the Slot-T, but now we have to work even harder.”

The game is expected to be played before a large crowd and will be closely watched throughout the region. But Goad hopes his team will keep the game in its proper perspective.

“I know there is a lot of emotion involved for our kids because of our history with Wimberley,” he said. “And they are the team to beat in our district until someone does it.

“But we remind our kids each week that every district game is as important as any other. We must focus on what we do and how we do it and prepare the same way regardless.”

Kickoff is at 7:30 p.m. in Wimberley.

PANTHER NOTES: Although Navarro has not defeated Wimberley in its last four meetings, it does have two wins in the series. Those victories came in 1988 and 1989. The Texans lead the series 6-2.

Last week’s victory gave Navarro its ninth consecutive winning season.

Texas Football ranks the Panthers 19th among Texas 3A teams. No other San Antonio area school is listed in the Top 25.

regaleagle
10-16-2013, 12:38 AM
Sounds like those boyz over in Geronimo must have found that special well of superior drinking water, lol. It's always in the water....y'all know that. And it looks like they've been going back to the well quite a bit. I'd say them Panthers are a mighty thirsty bunch....so the Texans better be on their best game come Friday nite. I fully expect that to be the case. This game should be a rock'em sock'em affair, no doubt. And I'd say Wimberley has as good a chance as there is in this district to get the win over a very good Navarro team this season. Good luck to both squads for a clean, injury-free game.

Tejastrue
10-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Hey bags, the Seguin Gazette paper does a nice job of covering you guys. Wish we had something similar. Nice write-up..thanks for posting.

Gone Fishing
10-16-2013, 08:45 PM
Agree Tejas.... The view trys, but never has the stats right and is total homer with not much info. Wish SM did us some articles, but they cut us off a couple years ago. Kyle/Buda paper has nothing to do with us. The Drip paper throws a bone every once in a while. If I had the money and know how I would put a real paper here. Look at some of the other towns around, Fred, Burnet, Marble Falls to mention a few. They have a separate sports page in their papers for all the sports going on in town , youth up to HS and a little college. What a concept...lol

bag-o-chips
10-17-2013, 06:52 AM
Scott Kibbe has covered Navarro for the local paper since 1991. He is a graduate I believe and the self appointed guru of all things football dealing with stats. As you can see he is not a "Homer" as most little papers are but a fair reporter who does his best to support the team. He is also responsible and calls in the stats to the San Antonio paper after the game. All the coaches welcome him and freely talk to him anytime. The guy just loves Navarro and it would be hard to see him ever stop!

I look forward to the game but due to the passing of a cousins wife I will not make it as I am cooking all night for the reception after services on Saturday! But KWED 1580 in Seguin will cover the game and should have a link to listen online. I suspect it will be a hard fought game and I see Navarro winning this match up. Our program has steadily risen since the move to 3 - a and our 7th and 8th grade were unbeaten last year. In fact the 8th never lost a game in Jr High. We do have 3 freshmen on varsity and 6 Sophs as well. We have the utmost respect for the Texans and they have served us well in the District to build the program. Not bad for the smallest enrollment just over 500 + students.

http://seguintoday.com/

YTBulldogs
10-17-2013, 11:07 AM
Gone Fishing, check your PM messages sir.

Manso/V8
10-17-2013, 11:37 AM
I voted for Wimberley in the poll for "old times sake"!

I miss the WT swagger.

LV_Bearfan
10-17-2013, 12:25 PM
So, most likely the winner gets Sam Houston in first round. Loser gets La Vernia.

YTBulldogs
10-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Big difference there. Would do all I could to win this Friday then.

Tejastrue
10-17-2013, 06:08 PM
Agree Tejas.... The view trys, but never has the stats right and is total homer with not much info. Wish SM did us some articles, but they cut us off a couple years ago. Kyle/Buda paper has nothing to do with us. The Drip paper throws a bone every once in a while. If I had the money and know how I would put a real paper here. Look at some of the other towns around, Fred, Burnet, Marble Falls to mention a few. They have a separate sports page in their papers for all the sports going on in town , youth up to HS and a little college. What a concept...lol

Exactly. The Lady Texan VB team is ranked 2nd in the latest 3A state rankings and we have read very little if any about that until this week and the list goes on as you have pointed out. Take a look at the latest View paper and read the text under the photo from one of the football games. LMAO!! Maybe now that HEB is flexing their muscle after getting the highest bid on the Bowen property, some revenue will trickle down to the locals. Brookshires will be short lived though..very sad.

http://www.austintgca.com/volleyball/polls.html

Tejastrue
10-17-2013, 08:05 PM
So, most likely the winner gets Sam Houston in first round. Loser gets La Vernia.

Big difference there. Would do all I could to win this Friday then.

I think the Texans would welcome the chance to redeem themselves but we need to get thru district. Can't afford to look past anyone.

Gone Fishing
10-18-2013, 08:06 AM
I think the Texans would welcome the chance to redeem themselves but we need to get thru district. Can't afford to look past anyone.

Yes I believe it would be a much closer game if we met again.

LV_Bearfan
10-18-2013, 08:19 AM
Agree. It would be a good game either way.

bag-o-chips
10-18-2013, 07:46 PM
Sounds like the makings of a great game!

bag-o-chips
10-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Navarro scores 2:06 1st quarter. Conversion failed 6-0

bag-o-chips
10-18-2013, 07:58 PM
End of 1 Navarro 6- 0 navarro has the ball held Wimb. to 3 and out

bag-o-chips
10-18-2013, 08:03 PM
12- 0 Navarro missed 2 pt. conversion

bag-o-chips
10-18-2013, 08:32 PM
18-0 Navarro at the half . I think Navarro has had 75 and 72 and 89 yd drives

lbjacj
10-18-2013, 08:37 PM
18-0 Navarro at the half . I think Navarro has had 75 and 72 and 89 yd drives

Total domination by the Panthers on both sides of the ball!!!

bag-o-chips
10-18-2013, 08:38 PM
It has sounded good. Just hope my Panthers keep it going. Are you at the Game?

Tejastrue
10-18-2013, 08:49 PM
Total domination by the Panthers on both sides of the ball!!!

Yep. Looks like the only thing that will slow the Panthers down tonight is our homecoming festivities. I'd be surprised if we have 40 yds of offense thus far. Lord knows what Navarro's numbers are. Still a lot of football left.

bag-o-chips
10-18-2013, 08:54 PM
Navarro 44 passing 232 Rushing 270 yds

Wimberley 31 passing and 5 rushing 36 yds

By KWED radio

Is this correct?

rb585
10-18-2013, 09:02 PM
Fredericksburg 44 Boerne 3 at the half?!?!

Is this really correct?

rb585
10-18-2013, 09:34 PM
24-7 Navarro

The streak is 9:34 away from being over.

catfish
10-18-2013, 09:49 PM
I wanted to be the first to say congratulations to Navarro.A very good,well coached football team,good luck for the rest of the year.The Texans I am sure,will turn the page and go back to work.

bag-o-chips
10-18-2013, 10:08 PM
24-14 Navarro wins!!!!! Good game !!
Wimberley gave us all we wanted in the 2nd half!

rb585
10-18-2013, 10:11 PM
Congrats to Navarro. That wasn't nearly as close as 24-14 sounds.

rb585
10-18-2013, 10:17 PM
Fred has already hung 58 on Boerne early in the 4th.

Fred at Navarro next week for the likely district championship?

Raise your hand if you called that.... Liar!

Tejastrue
10-18-2013, 10:20 PM
Proud we at least made a game of it. Thought we milked a few plays dry resulting in that last int at the Panther 4 yd line. Navarro is as advertised. Big congrats and best wishes for success the rest of the season. Only negative I can say is get a dang kicker!! lol

bag-o-chips
10-18-2013, 10:22 PM
We do have one. Last week3 xps and a FG then missed 2 xps. SMH!

bag-o-chips
10-18-2013, 10:31 PM
198 Passing for Wimberley and -2 yds Rushing?

bag-o-chips
10-18-2013, 11:07 PM
Navarro by 10
Nail meet Head!! Congrats!

bag-o-chips
10-18-2013, 11:11 PM
and all the other private SA schools they play. lol
LOL not so easy a schedule so far huh. Sorry just getting my digs in as it has been a long 4 years.

bag-o-chips
10-18-2013, 11:12 PM

Looks like we may meet themagain ow huh? Just digging we respect Wimberley and strive to be like them!

bag-o-chips
10-18-2013, 11:52 PM
Stats

Team Stats
Navarro Wimberley
Total yards 431 191
First downs 23 10
Rushes/Yds 64/368 14/-2
Average rush 5.75 -0.14
Comp/Atts 5/10/1 17/32/1
Pass yards 63 193
Comp pct 50 53.13
Punts 2 5
Punting Yards 81 211
Punting Average 40.5 42.2
Fumbles/Lost 2/1 1/1
Penalties-yards 4-55 6-75

jackofalltrades
10-19-2013, 12:53 AM
Nope. Sorry Texans, Navarro takes this one by 2 TDs.

called it.

Los Owls
10-19-2013, 01:04 AM
OUCH....Sorry Texans....:bigcry:

Snotbubbles
10-19-2013, 01:28 AM
No surprise here. Time to start a new streak WT. Nice win Navarro. Now, go win that title next week vs. Fred.

Gone Fishing
10-19-2013, 10:31 AM
It was a nice Streak SB's 4 straight years with out a district loss and a quarter finals and a simi finals and a state championship and an area finalist to go with it. Wish we would have had +1 yds rushing in the game though. (running it in from the 3 with 4 min to go to get within 3 pts) but we ran a throw back screen instead for an Int and remained at -2 rushing yards. I will say that #6 McDorman had one of the best catches I have seen in a very long time to get us to the 3 yd line to give us a chance. If Navarro's run Defense is that good , then watch out. They will force teams to throw and then control the clock with a very good slot-T. Good game Navarro, ya'll deserved it.