PDA

View Full Version : Cuero @ Yoakum (103rd meeting)

YTBulldogs
10-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Who wins this 103rd meeting between the Gobs and Dogs? Longest meeting between 3A schools in the state. Both coming off win's in their district openers.

speedbump
10-12-2013, 10:53 AM
Cuero 30-13

Pudlugger
10-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Yoakum in an upset by 3. Why? Just 'cause I can.:D

YTBulldogs
10-12-2013, 02:24 PM
Least mistakes will win this one IMO.

YTBulldogs
10-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Yoakum in an upset by 3. Why? Just 'cause I can.:D

Upset? Maybe to you.:doh: But, thanks for the "W" Pud. Dogs going for 3rd straight over our neighbors to the South. This will be a good one. I will say, we fumble exchanges, it will be a loooong night. No booboo's boys. I do agree, them Gobs are very talented. Give my score Weds evening. Like seeing the Dogs during the week. It's the next step Yoakum. One at a time. 2-0 start in this district, would be very nice.

Corn Cob
10-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Dogs going for 3rd straight over our neighbors to the South.

So what's the overall record over the 102 previous games?

YTBulldogs
10-12-2013, 07:41 PM
I don't have it currently, but--I'd say Cuero has won 80-85% of them over the years. They have owned us through the years, except the decades of 30's I believe. Yoakum is trying to make the next 100 years, our turn.:cheerl:

speedbump
10-12-2013, 08:43 PM
So what's the overall record over the 102 previous games?

http://lonestarfootball.net/team.asp?T=926&B=1579&REC=63-29-6&S=

Blue42
10-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Cuero has a wrecking ball with #20 on it and will bust through the Dogs D just see he is something to watch. Should be a good game as Yoakum plays to their competition.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-12-2013, 10:02 PM
The TRUE Region IV Game of the Week. Screw D25! LOL

I say Cuero wins this one.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-13-2013, 02:35 AM
Seen both at least once Yoakum has some speed. Yoakum by a td

1stnurseryman
10-13-2013, 10:04 AM
Seen both at least once Yoakum has some speed. Yoakum by a td

I think ur forgetting we played Wharton.. You've gotta remember they have 3 players u must double team at all times..lol

bd62
10-13-2013, 01:26 PM
Seen them both twice Cuero defense is lots better thanYoakum
Yoakum has some very good skill people and that's been keeping
Them is all there games. Yoakum plays to level of Competion as evident
against Smithville. They will play Cuero tough but I don't think they can
stop Hopkins but Cuero will have hands full with T Heights. Turnovers
will be difference in a close one.

YTBulldogs
10-13-2013, 02:31 PM

I agree bd. Dog "D" had a good game this past Friday (like 140 total yards given up), with all those out, finally back in action. Just one key piece of the secondary remains out. He might be ready this coming Friday. Been awhile Yoakum has had all hand's on deck (since first scrimmage). But, we have played through that issue, and really had chances to win all our games. Vital experience was gained in the process for the younger players though. In the long run, "if" we can stop the bone-headed TO's, we have a chance to extend our season. All our games remaining, I say we are equal to our opponent. So, you can't give them a extra 5+ times with the ball than us.

Yes sir, teams so equally matched in talent. Whoever has the least amount of miscues here, will win. Was nice getting the rust off this past Friday. 3 weeks a long time not play. But, it allowed us to heal for the crucial district season. Wish we had turf now. All the rain, hope we don't have to use the indoor facility for practice? Paramount we get outside to prepare for this one.

gobbla4life
10-13-2013, 05:44 PM
Well it's Cuero/Yoakum week , should be a good one! Both teams shaking off some rust this past Friday , but these kids won't have any rust this week. No secrets , everyone knows everyone , the kids for both sides know what winning this game means! Good luck and health to both teams.

GO MEAN GREEN!!

pacdaddy
10-13-2013, 08:14 PM
Well it's Cuero/Yoakum week , should be a good one! Both teams shaking off some rust this past Friday , but these kids won't have any rust this week. No secrets , everyone knows everyone , the kids for both sides know what winning this game means! Good luck and health to both teams.

GO MEAN GREEN!!

Good luck to both teams.:wave:
It should be a most interesting game.
Go Apaches!

Blue42
10-14-2013, 07:05 AM
Go Mean Green!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue42
10-14-2013, 07:13 AM
I heard the Yoakum Coach last year quote that when he was asked about his season he said that hay we beat Cuero 2 years in a row and that’s all that matters .
I don’t see that happening this year and for the next 4 years.
Go Mean Green!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

buff4ever
10-14-2013, 09:47 AM
Cuero will run over Yoakum in this one. If you don't know what I mean now, you will after the game.

YTBulldogs
10-14-2013, 10:18 AM
I heard the Yoakum Coach last year quote that when he was asked about his season he said that hay we beat Cuero 2 years in a row and that’s all that matters .
I don’t see that happening this year and for the next 4 years.
Go Mean Green!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can assure you, that comment didn't come from the Dog's HC Kornegay. Yes, he wants to beat Cuero each time out, but--a playoff victory over Wharton would of been better.

YTBulldogs
10-14-2013, 10:21 AM
Cuero will run over Yoakum in this one. If you don't know what I mean now, you will after the game.

They are good buff. Yoakum better contain Hopkins, or your prediction could be right. If Gob's don't stop Hights, could be interesting. But, both teams have multiple weapons, to help prevent that.

SHSBulldog00
10-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Go mean green!!!!

Blue42
10-14-2013, 12:29 PM
This game is serious business this year especially ,no messing around Yoakum has sneaked out the last 2 wins and it won’t happen again ,have never seen the Gobblers so fired up, this is war till after the game then we go back to being brothers, Nabors ,and friends until then its war.

YTBulldogs
10-14-2013, 12:58 PM
This game is serious business this year especially ,no messing around Yoakum has sneaked out the last 2 wins and it won’t happen again ,have never seen the Gobblers so fired up, this is war till after the game then we go back to being brothers, Nabors ,and friends until then its war.

As it should be. Just another obstacle in the Bulldogs mission. Should be a good one.

hookandladder
10-14-2013, 01:37 PM
I was a litle surpirsed by both teams with their perforance last week, Yoakum seems to start slow each season and improve later in the season. With this game being in Yoakum you would think the edge would be with them however it seems like Yoakum has issues holding on to the ball, I will go with Cuero by a TD.

YTBulldogs
10-14-2013, 01:55 PM
I was a litle surpirsed by both teams with their perforance last week, Yoakum seems to start slow each season and improve later in the season. With this game being in Yoakum you would think the edge would be with them however it seems like Yoakum has issues holding on to the ball, I will go with Cuero by a TD.

Good take H&L. Except winner. Gotta hold onto the rock on plays your not even contacted on. Killer. I think it will be stressed, with better execution on the snap being addressed. We done shot our feet off, so--can't shoot ourselves there anymore, and expect to win the district games. Come on Dogs!!!!

YTBulldogs
10-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Victory will be decided like normal, on the practice field this week. Who prepares for the many battles within the war best, wins Friday night.

1stnurseryman
10-14-2013, 02:53 PM

Hook ur rite our win was'nt pretty but we got a W... I would like to think we were just rusty do to only playing 1 game in 3 weeks but only time will tell.. the positive from last Friday is these boys never quit nor do they get raddled.

hookandladder
10-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Hook ur rite our win was'nt pretty but we got a W... I would like to think we were just rusty do to only playing 1 game in 3 weeks but only time will tell.. the positive from last Friday is these boys never quit nor do they get raddled.

We were in the same position, 1 game in 3 weeks. Our defense took a little time to step it up but offense never missed a beat. One thing about our team this year is special teams, our kicker is the best we have had in many years. His pooch kicks have been spot on, he had two last game that Gonzales never touched. We are still playing players only one way, I would assume when we need to you will see a few going both ways a little more. Ledwick ( A&M recruit) only played maybe a handful of plays on D, just has not been needed yet on D. Amazing what a year of Varsity ball can do for you , this Senior group has some great talent. Also our Freshman (Dobbins) is playing like a seasoned player, man how special he is going to be.

gobbla4life
10-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Yessir , it's our De Witt county friends again ! Should be a good one , Cuero has been in some battles this season already. Should be another great test for both teams , gotta stay focused GREEN !

GO MEAN GREEN !!

1stnurseryman
10-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Like I said only time will tell

Blue42
10-14-2013, 04:13 PM
Yessir , it's our De Witt county friends again ! Should be a good one , Cuero has been in some battles this season already. Should be another great test for both teams , gotta stay focused GREEN !

GO MEAN GREEN !!

Hay some of them there folks are from Lavaca county that’s where we run into trouble they even speak deferent just can’t trust a town that split between two counties least that’s what grand paw always said.

Blue42
10-14-2013, 04:16 PM

I think the Buffs are a little better than you think .

gobbla4life
10-14-2013, 07:00 PM
Your right ( Blue42 ), it is a split county. I think there are still a lot of doubters out there , because we aren't blowing teams out. Personally , I think that is just credit to the competition we've been playing . We will be ready , and we will show the doubters!

YTBulldogs
10-14-2013, 08:51 PM
Your right ( Blue42 ), it is a split county. I think there are still a lot of doubters out there , because we aren't blowing teams out. Personally , I think that is just credit to the competition we've been playing . We will be ready , and we will show the doubters!

There ya go.

Blue42
10-15-2013, 05:58 AM
Man that Lavaca county is like a foreign land instead of Churches Chicken they have a Rusty Rooster and instead of Wal-Mart they have something called Alco that’s just crazy.
I think even the toilets swirl backwards.

hookandladder
10-15-2013, 08:12 AM
I think the Buffs are a little better than you think .

I guess we will find out come Friday, just do not see it.

gobbla4life
10-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Come on Friday , man it can't get here fast enough. Should be nice and cool , but maybe wet ! Packed house , and the lights will be bright!!!

YTBULLDOGS , hey buddy how do you think the field will hold up if we get more rain , heard y'all have already over 3' ?

GO MEAN GREEN

buff4ever
10-15-2013, 09:52 AM
I guess we will find out come Friday, just do not see it.

Hook has issues with the buffs that have built up over the years. A decade before last year without beating us in football, and a very lopsided baseball record over the past 5 years as well. He just can't accept that they finally beat us in football last year and are the best team in district this year and got their state baseball championship despite not beating us last year. To top off their sudden success, he has to kick the buffaloes while we are down from our average better.

The buffs defense has played pretty good football this year. We had not given up the kind of points that Hook was throwing out last week against teams like LH, Wimberley, Bellville. Cuero has a good o-line and a very good running back, and though we didn't get the important win, our defense kept us in the game til the end. The offense has also showed signs of figuring itself out over the past few weeks. We have a lot of new faces on the offensive side of the ball, but still talented ones. The buffs still have it in em to get after some teams from here out and make it out of district.

I think Cuero will win this week and put the pressure on Yoakum and Giddings and Gonzales to fight for themselves.

gobbla4life
10-15-2013, 10:31 AM
Thanks Buff, good luck to y'all the rest of the way. We all know who the front runner is , and until someone beats LG that's the way it is. We aren't overly confident here on Cuero , we are just excited about our future. We know there are no weeks off in this district! Look forward to Friday night , Cuero/ Yoakum !

hookandladder
10-15-2013, 10:46 AM
Hook has issues with the buffs that have built up over the years. A decade before last year without beating us in football, and a very lopsided baseball record over the past 5 years as well. He just can't accept that they finally beat us in football last year and are the best team in district this year and got their state baseball championship despite not beating us last year. To top off their sudden success, he has to kick the buffaloes while we are down from our average better.

The buffs defense has played pretty good football this year. We had not given up the kind of points that Hook was throwing out last week against teams like LH, Wimberley, Bellville. Cuero has a good o-line and a very good running back, and though we didn't get the important win, our defense kept us in the game til the end. The offense has also showed signs of figuring itself out over the past few weeks. We have a lot of new faces on the offensive side of the ball, but still talented ones. The buffs still have it in em to get after some teams from here out and make it out of district.

I think Cuero will win this week and put the pressure on Yoakum and Giddings and Gonzales to fight for themselves.

Buffy there are no issues, just think Giddings is down from years past. It's OK , it will be all right. I guess you can at least talk about the last 5 years in baseball but doubt you would go back any more years, those were pretty bad before Masek and Marlow boys arrived. Nobody is kicking you while you are down, I know last year was really hard on you in football to get thumped on your field by LG. Did you really expect to not get a little ribbing about that game, you know it is just part of that friendly rivalry.

YTBulldogs
10-15-2013, 11:21 AM
Come on Friday , man it can't get here fast enough. Should be nice and cool , but maybe wet ! Packed house , and the lights will be bright!!!

YTBULLDOGS , hey buddy how do you think the field will hold up if we get more rain , heard y'all have already over 3' ?

GO MEAN GREEN

We had close to 6" of rain. Right now, in sad shape. Had a couple pumps going all night. It will be playable if we don't get more. I hear it's to rain a few more times and maybe on Friday as well. Yes, it will be a mess if that happens. Wish we could move this game over there on ya'lls new turf.

Dog_e_styl
10-15-2013, 12:00 PM
Turf condition don't matter in this one. No surprise to either side what it will be like Friday. Nasty, muddy and wet. More rain coming and field will not be dry. Both have played in worse conditions over the 100 years of this contest. They'd play on a asphalt parking lot if they had to here. It will be wet (raining now as I post this) and nasty. Practice outside on the grass and get use to what the playing surface will be like. Team that can handle/protect the wet and muddy ball, wins. All ball handlers better focus now. Will not be dry.

gobbla4life
10-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Thanks YT and dog e styl , man it's gonna be a good one! Both teams 1-0 in district , Yoakum getting healthy again , and Cuero just progressing week by week! These kids from both towns live for this week , and if you can't get up for this ( no matter what surface you play on or condition the field may be in ) you don't have a pulse! Can't wait guys , it's exciting for both programs , see ya Friday.

GO MEAN GREEN

Dog_e_styl
10-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Might add. Heard from a co-worker, Cuero has broke out the "old dunked ball in 5-gallon bucket of water" method in their preps at practice. Not sure if he was telling me the truth. But wise if true. It's 100% assured to be wet and nasty Friday. Was done many times back in the day I recall. If you can handle a wet ball, dern sure should be able to handle a dry one. Big difference between the two.

Awwwww, trying to find a edge. 2-0 in this district would be very nice.

gobbla4life
10-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Not sure about the dunked football method , what the heck could it hurt though! You gotta prepare for the worst , 3 more days till Friday Night Lights!!!

YTBulldogs
10-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Not sure about the dunked football method , what the heck could it hurt though! You gotta prepare for the worst , 3 more days till Friday Night Lights!!!

Lights burning late into the night I see at fieldhouse past few nights. Lot's of sleepless nights I'm sure. Cuero will be tough to contain. One of your best teams in years.

The Thursday game should be just as exciting over there. Two undefeated JV teams getting after it. I can see a big crowd at this one. What happened to ya'lls freshman team?

gobbla4life
10-15-2013, 12:58 PM
Freshman , I think are 5-1 only loss to 4a Vic West. To answer your question 2 freshman start on varsity and 1 just moved up this week. And 2 or 3 play up with JV.

1stnurseryman
10-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Lights burning late into the night I see at fieldhouse past few nights. Lot's of sleepless nights I'm sure. Cuero will be tough to contain. One of your best teams in years.

The Thursday game should be just as exciting over there. Two undefeated JV teams getting after it. I can see a big crowd at this one. What happened to ya'lls freshman team?

Rumor has it that we lost about 1/2 our JV to grades so they had to move all the Freshman up to JV and cancel all Freshman games... This is pathetic if true and when I say pathetic I mean on the boys part for failing there's really no excuse for that to happen...

YTBulldogs
10-15-2013, 01:26 PM
Rumor has it that we lost about 1/2 our JV to grades so they had to move all the Freshman up to JV and cancel all Freshman games... This is pathetic if true and when I say pathetic I mean on the boys part for failing there's really no excuse for that to happen...

Yikes. That is sad if true. I think we lost 1. One too many IMO.

Blue42
10-15-2013, 02:04 PM
Hay like uncle SI would say we only need 11 Jack

Blue42
10-15-2013, 02:15 PM
Hay like uncle SI would say we only need 11 Jack

I'm sorry Larry

gobbla4life
10-15-2013, 03:16 PM
That's truly sad , if it's true! When you commit to sports , you should know that academic performance is the most important.

YTBulldogs
10-15-2013, 03:18 PM
We were able to get a game for our freshmen against Edna. Couldn't get their varsity though a few weeks back. :tisk:

1stnurseryman
10-15-2013, 03:19 PM
Its true!!!

YTBulldogs
10-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Its true!!!

:(:doh:

Blue42
10-15-2013, 03:45 PM
Yes this happens each year its mostly in the JH sad too but kids and parents need to learn what is most important.

Rocket Man
10-15-2013, 04:14 PM
103rd game against each other!! Wow, great history. In comparison, we are just now celebrating our 50th anniversary for the High School.

Rocket Man
10-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Please ignore, removed duplicate post.

Blue42
10-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Lots of new schools popping up each year as the great state of Texas continues to grow.

Blue42
10-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Hay YTB Yawl going to have semiannual turkey legs for sale?

Old Green
10-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Turf condition don't matter in this one. No surprise to either side what it will be like Friday. Nasty, muddy and wet. More rain coming and field will not be dry. Both have played in worse conditions over the 100 years of this contest. They'd play on a asphalt parking lot if they had to here. It will be wet (raining now as I post this) and nasty. Practice outside on the grass and get use to what the playing surface will be like. Team that can handle/protect the wet and muddy ball, wins. All ball handlers better focus now. Will not be dry.:iagree:

bd62
10-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Old Green didn't you play in the first Cuero-Yoakum game
With those Leather helmets.Lol. Seriouly i remember you telling me
You was on the 1970 State Finalist team. I setting down on
Lower level at Dog pound. I look you up. Allways a fun week when
These 2 teams get after it. Most the kids and fans know each other and
It a war during game but friends afterwards.

YTBulldogs
10-15-2013, 09:23 PM
Old Green didn't you play in the first Cuero-Yoakum game
With those Leather helmets.Lol. Seriouly i remember you telling me
You was on the 1970 State Finalist team. I setting down on
Lower level at Dog pound. I look you up. Allways a fun week when
These 2 teams get after it. Most the kids and fans know each other and
It a war during game but friends afterwards.:2thumbsup

YTBulldogs
10-15-2013, 09:25 PM
Hay YTB Yawl going to have semiannual turkey legs for sale?

Of course.

YTBulldogs
10-16-2013, 12:14 PM
Well, so much for thinking we will have a somewhat descent playing surface. Pouring again. This is gonna be nasty. Feels like football finally.:thumbsup:

SintonFan_inAustin
10-16-2013, 12:20 PM
Well, so much for thinking we will have a somewhat descent playing surface. Pouring again. This is gonna be nasty. Feels like football finally.:thumbsup:Having played in a downpour before, it's fun and funny at first atleast it was on the first play when I played in one and the qb came back into huddle full of mud in his facemask.

YTBulldogs
10-16-2013, 12:29 PM
Having played in a downpour before, it's fun and funny at first atleast it was on the first play when I played in one and the qb came back into huddle full of mud in his facemask.

Yes SFIA, I think the kid's are excited of this mud bath, water puddles forthcoming. St.Joe/JH/Freshman games will get it nice and mushy today and Thursday.

Had we not got this recent rain, and the projected showers on Friday, might have been ok surface. Both teams have to endure, no edge.

WhartonTigers
10-16-2013, 01:36 PM
Cuero has a wrecking ball with #20 on it and will bust through the Dogs D just see he is something to watch. Should be a good game as Yoakum plays to their competition.

i agree with this 100% that number RB is something serious

1stnurseryman
10-16-2013, 01:53 PM
Yes SFIA, I think the kid's are excited of this mud bath, water puddles forthcoming. St.Joe/JH/Freshman games will get it nice and mushy today and Thursday.

Had we not got this recent rain, and the projected showers on Friday, might have been ok surface. Both teams have to endure, no edge.

Just wondering Y U would play four games on ur field b4 Friday nite? just doesn't make since to me.

YTBulldogs
10-16-2013, 02:03 PM
i agree with this 100% that number RB is something serious

Battle of two of the district number two rushers (Yoakum's QB Hights, Cuero's RB Hopkins). Both juniors have 733 yards rushing on this season. Hights is averaging over 8 yards per carry on 89 carries, while Hopkins is average just over 6 1/2 yards on 115 totes.

Dog's rank second behind LG in team offense. Cuero rank's 4th.
Cuero rank's 3rd in team D, while Yoakum rank's 5th.

Cuero is +5 in TO's, Ykm is -7. This is the key IMO here. Ykm 21 fumbles on the season. 3/4 on exchanges (snaps, hand off's, no opponent contact).

YTBulldogs
10-16-2013, 02:03 PM
Just wondering Y U would play four games on ur field b4 Friday nite? just doesn't make since to me.

Where else would you play them?

YTBulldogs
10-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Them portable pumps been going non-stop. Like spiting in the wind at this point though. No progress. Had we not got this last couple inches, might of helped by Friday. But, when you turn them off for this evening game and Thursday's games, it puddles all back up. 2 steps forward, 3 steps back.

Just bring them 1" cleats. Be like a slip-n slide out there.

1stnurseryman
10-16-2013, 02:38 PM
Where else would you play them?

JH games in Cuero have been canceled in the past so field would be in good shape come Friday nite. Do yall not have a practice field? that's what we played on in Bellvelle 3 yrs ago when my son was a freshman

hookandladder
10-16-2013, 03:09 PM
JH games in Cuero have been canceled in the past so field would be in good shape come Friday nite. Do yall not have a practice field? that's what we played on in Bellvelle 3 yrs ago when my son was a freshman

La Grange would do the same here, if it continues to rain and field does not dry up by Thursday morning hten you can bet there would be no games on Thursday however we are at Smithville so no worries for us. That is Smithville's decision.

YTBulldogs
10-16-2013, 03:24 PM

No, we don't have a practice field that is regulation length. And, it's all soggy too. Need the rug like ya'll. Fireant city out there after all this rain. Watch them piles.:(

YTBulldogs
10-16-2013, 03:25 PM
La Grange would do the same here, if it continues to rain and field does not dry up by Thursday morning hten you can bet there would be no games on Thursday however we are at Smithville so no worries for us. That is Smithville's decision.

You can't hurt that field in SV any further regardless.

1stnurseryman
10-16-2013, 03:26 PM
You can't hurt that field in SV any further regardless.

LMAO I was thinking same thing... At least the water will cover up the holes and rocks!!!

YTBulldogs
10-16-2013, 03:30 PM
LMAO I was thinking same thing... At least the water will cover up the holes and rocks!!!

And, make the gravel soft when ya land on it. Is that sad, or what 1stnurseryman?

1stnurseryman
10-16-2013, 03:41 PM
All I can say is u have to see it to believe it. Might want to put some visors on the helmets and make sure everyone is wearing a padded jock!!!

Blue42
10-16-2013, 03:52 PM
Got word that Yoakum only has one 7th and 8th grade team so only 2 games will be played on Thursday looks like the grades may have caught up with the Yoakum JH players also.

1stnurseryman
10-16-2013, 04:00 PM
I think Edna Fresh may be playing there but I could be wrong.

GU_81
10-16-2013, 04:32 PM
No, we don't have a practice field that is regulation length. And, it's all soggy too. Need the rug like ya'll. Fireant city out there after all this rain. Watch them piles.:(

I would say if it came down to playing on any other field vs. not playing at all, both teams & communities would support playing anywhere - regulation size or not, FG posts or not, or even in Cuero on the new turf. Although I know the kids want to win, most of us realize that's not what is most important for these JH & JV games. If games had to be played in Cuero, schedules could be adjusted for Thurs or even Saturday if need be. If Yoakum's field is as bad as you say, there shouldn't even be a question as to whether those games get played on it.

GU_81
10-16-2013, 04:43 PM

They are good buff. Yoakum better contain Hopkins, or your prediction could be right. If Gob's don't stop Hights, could be interesting. But, both teams have multiple weapons, to help prevent that.

Just curious YT, who would you consider to be Yoakum's main weapons after Hights?

YTBulldogs
10-16-2013, 06:31 PM
Just curious YT, who would you consider to be Yoakum's main weapons after Hights?

We are kinda like ya'll really GU. After our horses (QB Hights-Ykm and RB Hopkins-Cuero) we both use about 5 to six other kid's to make things go. Help's getting Blakeney back from injury at WR. And, he sure gives us sure-hands at WR along with another Hights, TJ. But, have no doubt, Tre' Hights and ya'lls talented Hopkins are the weapons on the teams. And, the best players on their teams.

Our biggest boost, being healthy for the first time since our first scrimmage of the year.

YTBulldogs
10-16-2013, 06:37 PM
Got word that Yoakum only has one 7th and 8th grade team so only 2 games will be played on Thursday looks like the grades may have caught up with the Yoakum JH players also.

Wrong. Not the reason. Enrollment level just barely allowed us to field teams at this level from the start. I mean, one B team had like 13 players on it, other not many more. Get a few dings, and you have no other option but combine. Remember, we only have a 430'ish enrollment. Not 600+.

YTBulldogs
10-16-2013, 06:43 PM
Here it goes. My pick.

Best week of practice all year. Finely, all hands on deck from injury. Kid's know it's just another step on their mission, nothing more. They firmly believe, the "Cuero Mystic" is over against them. Only took us about 90 years to stop it. LOL.

I don't see our regular 5 TO's happening here. The D-line play will be paramount. Relentless execution all night long.

Yoakum 34
Cuero 30

GATA DOGS!!!!!!!!!!

GU_81
10-16-2013, 07:12 PM

Here it goes. My pick.

Best week of practice all year. Finely, all hands on deck from injury. Kid's know it's just another step on their mission, nothing more. They firmly believe, the "Cuero Mystic" is over against them. Only took us about 90 years to stop it. LOL.

I don't see our regular 5 TO's happening here. The D-line play will be paramount. Relentless execution all night long.

Yoakum 34
Cuero 30

GATA DOGS!!!!!!!!!!

What a surprise! LOL... You waited 5 days to give your pick everyone knew was coming since the end of last season!

gobbla4life
10-16-2013, 08:11 PM
I don't talk a lot of mess , I respect all opponents ! But I have a question , does Yoakum really think they've turned the tides , and that they will beat Cuero 8-10 years in row like Cuero has done to them 5 or 6 times ? No disrespect , but come on y'all have just beat us 2 years in a row to date. Just saying !!!

GO MEAN GREEN!!

YTBulldogs
10-16-2013, 08:19 PM
I don't talk a lot of mess , I respect all opponents ! But I have a question , does Yoakum really think they've turned the tides , and that they will beat Cuero 8-10 years in row like Cuero has done to them 5 or 6 times ? No disrespect , but come on y'all have just beat us 2 years in a row to date. Just saying !!!

GO MEAN GREEN!!
To turn the tide, it has to start somewhere first, right? Can't win 10 in a row, till ya win 3 in a row first. Best wishes to both teams and let's see another classic. Yes, in the past, I can recall hearing all that matter was the Cuero game. Don't hear that any longer under Kornegay. It's just a step towards thier mission. And, the Dog's know 2-0 comes before 3-0 and so on. Cuero owned us the past 100 years, now--it's Yoakum's turn at the wheel. We got no respect (based on polls, picks around the state, rankings), and that's ok. We'll earn it. As it should be.

Go Big Blue!!

Dog_e_styl
10-16-2013, 08:55 PM
If Yoakum wins to TO battle, they'll beat Cuero by 14. I think the "D" step's up with all being back in there. We match will with their receivers (Gallagher, Reese Ebrom). QB Vernor, or even Fales and LaFond like to dink and dunk. #20, Hopkins, what can I say-- is a great back, and will get his. Just stop the big runs. Miles might have a good game if Yoakum focuses all attention on Hopkins. This kid will be one of their greats before he is done IMO. Kid's only a freshman.

YT, you hit the nail on the head in regards to Yoakum and in the past against Cuero. Use to make our year just beating them. Glad those days are gone. Yes, Tre' Hights is our horse. One of the best players no one knows about in the state. But, I like our fullbacks in Hall and Dominguez. Hall will flat out run over you, and Gilbert will out run you with his speed. Nice combo at FB there.

Make no mistake. Yoakum respects Cuero, but are no longer in awe of them. There was times, we were beat before the game ever started. It's was Cuero, and a loss was expected before kickoff. Glad that attitude is gone by the Bulldogs.

gobbla4life
10-16-2013, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the response guys , like I say no disrespect at all! I don't see y'all winning by 14 under any circumstance , but after Friday night we will know. Good luck , and hope both teams stay healthy .

GU_81
10-16-2013, 09:23 PM
I give Dog_e_Style credit for reading the box score for last week's Cuero game. Basically he is saying all things considered equal, Yoakum is 14 points better than Cuero. I'll admit I'm laughing, but we shall see.

gobbla4life
10-16-2013, 09:45 PM
Your right GU__81 , kinda funny ! I don't make predictions , but 14 pts is a bold statement. Each to his own , but I'll say one thing( you will have to go out and beat this group of Gobblers ) cause trust me they are battle tested .

GO MEAN GREEN

bd62
10-17-2013, 10:26 AM
The last 2 yrs. Yoakum has scored late to win the
game. I think this game will go down to last team
With ball. Talent wise they are pretty even. Cuero
Has shown the ability to win very close games and
that will give them the edge. Yoakum had lead over
Hallettsville with 2 minutes left and could not hold them.
Hallettsville is an excellent ball club and it will take that
kind of performance for Dogs to make it 3 in a row.
Cuero is on a mission and those kids are determined
Not to let that happen. Going to be a fun game to watch

YTBulldogs
10-17-2013, 11:19 AM
The last 2 yrs. Yoakum has scored late to win the
game. I think this game will go down to last team
With ball. Talent wise they are pretty even. Cuero
Has shown the ability to win very close games and
that will give them the edge. Yoakum had lead over
Hallettsville with 2 minutes left and could not hold them.
Hallettsville is an excellent ball club and it will take that
kind of performance for Dogs to make it 3 in a row.
Cuero is on a mission and those kids are determined
Not to let that happen. Going to be a fun game to watch

bd, I see the last time Yoakum beat Cuero 3 straight times, was '52-'54. Where were you then?

bd62
10-17-2013, 11:56 AM
Just a young kid about 6 yrs old. Yoakum had a chance to
Beat Cuero 3 in a row in 2002 . Had the lead with
Less then 2 minutes on Cuero 12 yard line. Cuero was out of
time out but Yoakum fumble on 6 yard line. Cuero kicked a
Field goal to tie and won in Overtime

YTBulldogs
10-17-2013, 12:05 PM
Just a young kid about 6 yrs old. Yoakum had a chance to
Beat Cuero 3 in a row in 2002 . Had the lead with
Less then 2 minutes on Cuero 12 yard line. Cuero was out of
time out but Yoakum fumble on 6 yard line. Cuero kicked a
Field goal to tie and won in Overtime
Remember that well bd. Great game. Been some good ones over the many moons.

YTBulldogs
10-17-2013, 12:14 PM
Wish I could see that JV game tonight over there bd. It will be as exciting as tomorrow I bet. Both schools should have solid teams next several years based on JH teams and even CYFL teams. Great to see. I think we have a real chance to have a freshman or two starting on varsity next year. Been quite awhile since we had a freshman starting on varsity. Really can't recall the last?

Blue42
10-17-2013, 01:40 PM
Go Mean Green !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1stnurseryman
10-17-2013, 07:54 PM
Scores 7th Yoakum 30 Cuero 24.... 8th Yoakum 36 Cuero 8
JV Cuero 14-12
At least it can't be a clean sweep.. Think our Varsity wins and make it 50/50
Sounds damn good to me

44INAROW
10-17-2013, 08:20 PM
Sounds like the JV game was a good one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dog_e_styl
10-17-2013, 09:30 PM
We need to bring our 8th graders up for varsity. WOW.:eek: When those backs get a line behind them, watch out. I see a couple making varsity next year. Maybe them Moore Brothers? Ykm in very fine shape next several years. Not sure I ever seen a Cuero team ask that the clock run.

JV game was as good as I thought. Congrats Cuero winning district. These two teams can't be touched by remaining teams.

YTBulldogs
10-17-2013, 09:32 PM
Yes, congrats Cuero for that exciting JV win. Congrats to the Dogs in that impressive wins at the JH level, and the freshman smashing Edna.

gobbla4life
10-17-2013, 09:46 PM
Well , from the looks of things Cuero/Yoakum may be fighting for district title for the next 6/7 years! Can't wait till tomorrow night , it will be two quality teams knocking heads! Good luck and health to both teams !

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!

GU_81
10-17-2013, 09:46 PM
YT- Did they end up playing games tonight on Yoakum high school field? If so, how does it look now?

YTBulldogs
10-17-2013, 10:11 PM
YT- Did they end up playing games tonight on Yoakum high school field? If so, how does it look now?
Yes, it's in fine shape. Hopefully we will not get that rain we have a chance for tomorrow? Perfect tonight. Safe travels my friend.

YTBulldogs
10-17-2013, 10:15 PM
Well , from the looks of things Cuero/Yoakum may be fighting for district title for the next 6/7 years! Can't wait till tomorrow night , it will be two quality teams knocking heads! Good luck and health to both teams !

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!
Yes, I think tomorrow nights contest will be a exciting, down to the wire, classic.

Pudlugger
10-17-2013, 10:20 PM
Yes, I think tomorrow nights contest will be a exciting, down to the wire, classic.

Good luck tomorrow night. This game will do a lot to shape the D26 picture.

bd62
10-17-2013, 11:03 PM
Gobbler 4 Life I think you are right about some great battles the
Next several years . Especially with realignment which
Will have them both in D2 districts. Hate to lose Gonzales
but pretty sure that will happen. It will be very interesting
To see who else will be in our district. With only 4 districts
In each region travel will probably increase but the good thing
will be more equal in number of students. This is a fun district
and let's enjoy the very competive nature of the teams because
This will be last year of the makeup of this district

YTBulldogs
10-18-2013, 08:42 AM
Gobbler 4 Life I think you are right about some great battles the
Next several years . Especially with realignment which
Will have them both in D2 districts. Hate to lose Gonzales
but pretty sure that will happen. It will be very interesting
To see who else will be in our district. With only 4 districts
In each region travel will probably increase but the good thing
will be more equal in number of students. This is a fun district
and let's enjoy the very competive nature of the teams because
This will be last year of the makeup of this district

We held our own over the years, in regards to enrollment figure differences while competing. But, with what we have coming back and the exceptional talent coming into the high school program next several years, being in a district with a more equal enrollment totals will be very nice.

Yes, so glad Cuero/Ykm stays together. And I agree in regards to travel, but -- like you stated, it's well worth it if it means equaling out enrollments . Competing against larger schools takes it's toll after awhile, when your 450'ish.

Pudlugger
10-18-2013, 09:12 AM
I would think with the Eagle ford boom that enrollment would be up in Cuero and Yoakum.

YTBulldogs
10-18-2013, 11:30 AM
I would think with the Eagle ford boom that enrollment would be up in Cuero and Yoakum.

Not here. Maybe over there? Appears most are going to Floresville/LaVernia area's.

YTBulldogs
10-18-2013, 11:31 AM
Big Green 61 (Clem) we have our annual bet on for tonight?

gobbla4life
10-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Oil field hasn't really changed our enrolment , most are Monday - Thursday workers , and go home on the weekend! We are steady between 550 & 600 !!

Dog_e_styl
10-19-2013, 12:52 AM
I give Dog_e_Style credit for reading the box score for last week's Cuero game. Basically he is saying all things considered equal, Yoakum is 14 points better than Cuero. I'll admit I'm laughing, but we shall see.

What's so funny?

Dog_e_styl
10-19-2013, 01:00 AM
14 pts is a bold statement. Each to his own , but I'll say one thing( you will have to go out and beat this group of Gobblers ) cause trust me they are battle tested .

GO MEAN GREEN

Gotta win them battles, not just get tested by Lockhart, East, West, Beeville.:spitlol: Now, it's them Apaches up next Dogs. Full focus, we've done nothing yet. Under the radar, zero respect, it's how we like it. Have another great week in preparing. Awesome game plan tonight.

YTBulldogs
10-19-2013, 01:07 AM
Gotta win them battles, not just get tested by Lockhart, East, West, Beeville.:spitlol: Now, it's them Apaches up next Dogs. Full focus, we've done nothing yet. Under the radar, zero respect, it's how we like it. Have another great week in preparing. Awesome game plan tonight.

Told ya Dog. We get our players back, we'll be ok. Town folk's were getting nervous, but--look what we had out during our ND games. Gained some experience in the process though. Shame RJ couldn't enjoy this one. Lost him for the year. Step 3 on the mission next. Gotta get prepared for some smashmouth upcoming against GZ. It will be 48 min of trying to run it down our throat. They are very good at doing that the past few years.

GU_81
10-19-2013, 09:00 AM
What's so funny?

Not laughing anymore, I'll take the crow here Dog. :blush:
Prior to the game, with the way the teams had been playing, the records, the similar talent levels across the board, and the rivalry factor, I didn't see how, other than hometown favoritism, you could see Yoakum as 14 points better. I give Yoakum a ton of credit. They played a great game in all phases and flat out manhandled Cuero from the first snap. Congrats on the win and good luck the rest of the way.

gobbla4life
10-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Man , I'll eat that same crow! Bd & YT , y'all kicked our tale last night! We have a long way to go here , but we will bounce back. How in the heck did y'all lose three games?

YTBulldogs
10-19-2013, 12:32 PM
How in the heck did y'all lose three games?

21 turnovers and 6 players (four 2-way starters, 3/4 of secondary) out. And, we still had a chance to win all of them. And, those were some solid teams (HV, Columbus, Sinton) that beat us IMO. Been saying, if we get healthy, we'll be fine. Even our friend bd didn't buy that.

bd62
10-19-2013, 01:03 PM

YT that was my comment before the game. Don't think anyone saw a 21 point difference

SintonFan_inAustin
10-19-2013, 01:09 PM
21 turnovers and 6 players (four 2-way starters, 3/4 of secondary) out. And, we still had a chance to win all of them. And, those were some solid teams (HV, Columbus, Sinton) that beat us IMO. Been saying, if we get healthy, we'll be fine. Even our friend bd didn't buy that.

Yoakum only had one turnover against Sinton, a interception, Hights brought them back late on some long runs as he scored 3 tds. Kid gets a opening he's gone. That's the game that put us into a funk in the red zone, Sinton was inside the 15 four times and didn't score in that game. We had 540 yds of offense mostly by Sinton qb Handson he had around 459 yds combine rushing and passing.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-19-2013, 01:12 PM
Good win Bulldogs. good luck this coming week.

Snotbubbles
10-19-2013, 01:30 PM
Sinton's Handson best player to date, we have faced. Real deal.

Spursfan
10-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Pictures from game..

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjL2mDVy

Good job Yoakum!!

Snotbubbles
10-19-2013, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE=Spursfan;1772788]Pictures from game..

Good job Yoakum!![/QUOTE

I see the home folks (via your shots) didn't brave the weather though. :(

Dog_e_styl
10-19-2013, 01:57 PM
[QUOTE=Spursfan;1772788]Pictures from game..

Good job Yoakum!![/QUOTE

I agree snot. Sad showing. Sprinkles. Non-believers of this team still.:foul:

I see the home folks (via your shots) didn't brave the weather though. :( Freaking sprinkles people. Sad.:foul: Still non-believers about this team.

I agree snot. Sad showing. Sprinkles. Non-believers of this team still.:foul:

Always been like a golf match at home. Nothing but hand-sitters. Last year, they tried via signs by parents, "Blow Horn Brigade" and Flag Runners, but--didn't carry over it appears.

YTBulldogs
10-19-2013, 02:08 PM
Maybe they had a good reason to miss this one Dog? Like, went to the deer lease. Poor kids.:confused: Kinda surprised myself at that photo of our stands SF. Guess the "Cuero Mystic" really is over.

Was Cuero side packed, like normal at least?

YTBulldogs
10-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Sinton's Handson best player to date, we have faced. Real deal.

Where you at now Snot? Thought you was in San Antonio.

Snotbubbles
10-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Where you at now Snot? Thought you was in San Antonio.

I'm living now in Raymondville. Step son play's 8th grade there. Also stay near Floresville/LaVernia. I travel so much with the boom. Am a '78 Hurricane graduate. Have seen Wimberley in Floresville and against LV. Seen Gonzo kill SH. I track Gonzo pretty much. Like to give my buddy's over there heck. LOL.

Spursfan
10-20-2013, 07:34 AM
Maybe they had a good reason to miss this one Dog? Like, went to the deer lease. Poor kids.:confused: Kinda surprised myself at that photo of our stands SF. Guess the "Cuero Mystic" really is over.

Was Cuero side packed, like normal at least?

The Cuero side was packed!! The "Go Mean Green" chant was the loudest I have heard in several years!! The fans were very loud and super excited. Playoff atmosphere! Not sure why The Gobblers came out of the gate so flat!!

YTBulldogs
10-20-2013, 09:20 AM
The Cuero side was packed!! The "Go Mean Green" chant was the loudest I have heard in several years!! The fans were very loud and super excited. Playoff atmosphere! Not sure why The Gobblers came out of the gate so flat!!

Sweet. What I figured out of them loyal fans.

Dog_e_styl
10-20-2013, 10:43 PM
Nice game by both.

YTBulldogs
10-20-2013, 10:58 PM
Nice game by both.

Here's the Advocates write up on it. Nice video posted too, in regards to the 103rd meeting. Some photos.

http://www.advosports.com/news/2013/oct/19/mf_cuero_yoakum_101913_222821/

Pudlugger
10-21-2013, 06:05 AM
Great story and pictures. Yoakum's got some big fellas and has come to district to play. Maybe I'll have to change my predicition. Gonzales better be ready.

Spursfan
10-21-2013, 08:47 AM
Great story and pictures. Yoakum's got some big fellas and has come to district to play. Maybe I'll have to change my predicition. Gonzales better be ready.

Every district team better be ready !! I wonder what the Cuero Scouts had to say after Friday Night!! Cuero was not prepared at all. That's hard to believe from a Coach Reeve's Team!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

YTBulldogs
10-21-2013, 09:42 AM

Pud, we match up well with Gonzo, and have the past fews years, when they drummed us. I think we might of had a let down the week after a big Cuero win in 2011, 2012. Must avoid that this week during practice. This will be another game, the DL must take out those lead blockers and the OL leading the way in front of those talented Apache RB's.