PDA

View Full Version : 3A schools in urban areas

bleedgreen
10-11-2013, 12:04 PM
Are there too many distractions for 3A football programs located in urban areas here in Texas? I know that Kennedale has won state in softball, baseball, basketball (girls in state finals), and maybe others but why not football? They have been as far as region finals (once) and lost to Vernon in final seconds but that's it. Can you think of other urban teams that won besides Everman. I don't know how far out of town you have to be to be considered non-urban.

hollywood
10-11-2013, 12:24 PM
Are there too many distractions for 3A football programs located in urban areas here in Texas? I know that Kennedale has won state in softball, baseball, basketball (girls in state finals), and maybe others but why not football? They have been as far as region finals (once) and lost to Vernon in final seconds but that's it. Can you think of other urban teams that won besides Everman. I don't know how far out of town you have to be to be considered non-urban.

I can't think of any more off the top of my head... but I guess suburban schools would be Melissa and Celina.

Matthew328
10-11-2013, 12:54 PM
I can't think of any more off the top of my head... but I guess suburban schools would be Melissa and Celina.

Its all what you consider urban I guess...I never really thought of Everman as urban

Macarthur
10-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Probably a better way of saying it is 3a schools in metro areas. :)

firstdown
10-11-2013, 02:07 PM
We've been to the SC twice in 11 years. Once in 2A and once in 3A. Distractions had nothing to do with us getting beat, just ran into better teams. (Newton and Wimberly) I think Celina has done well and Southlake too back in the day.

Aguilafanatico
10-11-2013, 02:27 PM
We've been to the SC twice in 11 years. Once in 2A and once in 3A. Distractions had nothing to do with us getting beat, just ran into better teams. (Newton and Wimberly) I think Celina has done well and Southlake too back in the day.

Hope to make it 3x in 12 years!

bleedgreen
10-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Its all what you consider urban I guess...I never really thought of Everman as urban

C'mon Matthew, Everman's city limits butt up to Fort Worth. I consider urban areas to be like DFW, San Antonio, Houston and Austin. Within these urban areas you have 5A and 4A schools but then there are a few with small enrollments. Here are the districts I consider urban: District 6, District 11, District 23. I'm not familiar with all districts but these come to mind. Schools like Argyle and Celina I call bedroom communities. I've been to both and you travel through country to get there. Down-lowers from these districts please respond. Statistics don't lie.

Rabid Cougar
10-11-2013, 11:41 PM
C'mon Matthew, Everman's city limits butt up to Fort Worth. I consider urban areas to be like DFW, San Antonio, Houston and Austin. Within these urban areas you have 5A and 4A schools but then there are a few with small enrollments. Here are the districts I consider urban: District 6, District 11, District 23. I'm not familiar with all districts but these come to mind. Schools like Argyle and Celina I call bedroom communities. I've been to both and you travel through country to get there. Down-lowers from these districts please respond. Statistics don't lie.

District 17 (The Waco District)

cougartino
10-12-2013, 01:56 AM
Houston ISD's 3A are in the playoffs by default, but just like last year, will get B-slapped by 24-3A.

ctown81
10-12-2013, 07:32 AM
Kennedale, argyle, Celina etc.. Are not considered urban teams. Madison in the metroplex would be the best example. Yes there are more distractions in urban schools. You have to deal with players who have serious legal issues, some live in shelters, some actually walk about 3 to 4 miles just to get to school and I'm just talking about at the urban junior high I coach at.