PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky high schools put an end to postgame handshakes

Txbroadcaster
10-09-2013, 06:50 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/general/eye-on-sports/24051593/kentucky-high-schools-put-an-end-to-postgame-handshakesThe Kentucky High School Athletic Association issued a strange, seemingly counter-productive directive Tuesday: No more postgame handshakes.

Citing more than 20 fights and other altercations over the past three years, the KHSAA has banned handshakes after games and meets in baseball, basketball, football, soccer, softball, volleyball and wrestling.

“It is disappointing that this action has become necessary, but enough incidents have occurred both in our state and in others that the necessity has arrived,” the KHSAA said in a statement.

There is a bit of a loophole, though it requires everyone acting appropriately after games. If teams decide to shake hands and there are no altercations, no action will be taken.

If there is an altercation, however, the schools' athletic departments will be penalized.

Beyond that, any officials involved in "postgame activities" will be penalized.

So there you have it, kids: Play hard, play fair, and don't dignify your opponents with respect after competing.

According to the Louisville (Ky.) Courier-Journal, Several schools are meeting Thursday to try to find a resolution that would both honor the mandate and allow for postgame handshakes.

“People are going to think we're being bad sports if we don't shake hands,” a Louisville high school's athletic director told the paper. “Hopefully we can come up with something.”

Roughneck93
10-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Not banning it outright.

Update...

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/kentucky-bans-postgame-handshakes-high-school-sports-khsaa-fines-additional-penalties-100813 (http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/kentucky-bans-postgame-handshakes-high-school-sports-khsaa-fines-additional-penalties-100813)

cougartino
10-09-2013, 07:57 PM
There are times when we decided not to shake hands (La Marque V Yates 2010 playoffs) and times we shook hands but should not have (La Marque v Ozen 2011 playoffs). During both games, you could see the powder keg being lit. Not shaking hands against Yates was on of the few good decisions Coach Jordan made while at LM. The 2011 was naďve on the part on coaches, refs, and players.

bobcat1
10-09-2013, 08:07 PM
Pretty sad state of affairs these days. Being a good sport was taught and enforced when I was growing up and was taught in my house. Knock the beans out of them, help them up and shake their hands after the game. Back in the old days in Wichita Falls, the losers bought the beer and we drank them together up on Kemp Street. Good Times!

Aesculus gilmus
10-10-2013, 07:36 AM
Pretty sad state of affairs these days. Being a good sport was taught and enforced when I was growing up and was taught in my house. Knock the beans out of them, help them up and shake their hands after the game. Back in the old days in Wichita Falls, the losers bought the beer and we drank them together up on Kemp Street. Good Times!

I agree. Most of the games I see are Gilmer games, of course, and I cannot imagine this Kentucky scenario being necessary. What you just described is exactly what our program preaches and practices to this day. I cannot count the number of times I've seen Josh Walker lay somebody out and then immediately help him up off the turf.

panfan
10-10-2013, 08:08 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/general/eye-on-sports/24051593/kentucky-high-schools-put-an-end-to-postgame-handshakesThe Kentucky High School Athletic Association issued a strange, seemingly counter-productive directive Tuesday: No more postgame handshakes.

Citing more than 20 fights and other altercations over the past three years, the KHSAA has banned handshakes after games and meets in baseball, basketball, football, soccer, softball, volleyball and wrestling.

“It is disappointing that this action has become necessary, but enough incidents have occurred both in our state and in others that the necessity has arrived,” the KHSAA said in a statement.

There is a bit of a loophole, though it requires everyone acting appropriately after games. If teams decide to shake hands and there are no altercations, no action will be taken.

If there is an altercation, however, the schools' athletic departments will be penalized.

Beyond that, any officials involved in "postgame activities" will be penalized.

So there you have it, kids: Play hard, play fair, and don't dignify your opponents with respect after competing.

According to the Louisville (Ky.) Courier-Journal, Several schools are meeting Thursday to try to find a resolution that would both honor the mandate and allow for postgame handshakes.

“People are going to think we're being bad sports if we don't shake hands,” a Louisville high school's athletic director told the paper. “Hopefully we can come up with something.”

This is ridiculous - that coaches can't earn or garner enough respect from their players to show some respect to the other team, win or lose after the game? Some of this kind of crap starts at home and to avoid getting sued, the school takes a drastic measure.