PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 Statement on Longhorn Mike Davis after personal foul penalty last week

Scoop27
10-05-2013, 06:53 PM
Statement from the Big 12:

The Big 12 Conference announced a public reprimand of University of Texas football student-athlete Mike Davis for his action leading to assessment of a personal foul penalty during Texas’ third-quarter touchdown in Thursday night’s game at Iowa State.

“In accord with the Conference’s Sportsmanship and Ethical Conduct policy, Mr. Davis’ action was in violation of the rule prohibiting physically abusive acts toward an opponent’s team members during a contest,” said Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby. “Given the heightened emphasis on player safety, unnecessary and illegal acts such as this have no place in the game and are unacceptable. Mr. Davis is also put on notice that any future such behavior may result in a more serious penalty, including possible suspension.”

Gone Fishing
10-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Thats bull. Should have to sit out next game after something so obvious as what he did. It would make a statement to all players that play that way. The NFL is cracking down the NCAA and or each school should too. Davis might want to watch out for his own knees the next few games.

1st and goal
10-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Davis better have his head on a swivel. I think that UT should've given him a suspension. Mac, you need to set a standard, be a leader. That crap would have no place on my team. I'd set him on the bench for at least 2 games and let him know if I ever saw that crap again, he should just leave town on the first bus.

Txbroadcaster
10-06-2013, 01:52 PM
It was a stupid cheap shot but also from a player that has never done anything like that before..I think people need to tap the brake on the sit him down for 2-3 games

D'Highlander
10-07-2013, 06:43 AM
I think suspensions are overrated in college. Its not like in the pros where you lose a game check.

Roughneck93
10-07-2013, 01:20 PM
Mike Davis:

“If we have another run-pass situation, I’d do the same thing,” Davis said Monday when asked about the play. “If the DB’s loafing, he deserves to get cut.”

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/07/mike-davis-on-cheap-shot-id-do-the-same-thing-again/

Emerson1
10-07-2013, 01:45 PM
It was a stupid cheap shot but also from a player that has never done anything like that before..I think people need to tap the brake on the sit him down for 2-3 games

It's only because he plays for Texas.

Roughneck93
10-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Mike today:

“I would like to issue a full apology for not only the play that occurred with Deon Broomfield of Iowa State, but everything that has surrounded this issue. My comments yesterday were not intended to indicate that I would ever do anything illegal or malicious, and I would never have any intent of hurting anyone or doing anything else outside of the rules.”

“I would like to provide a full retraction of anything I said that wasn’t apologetic for the play last Thursday, and that I completely understand and accept the reprimand issued by the Big 12. I will do everything that I can to learn from all aspects of this situation and nothing like this will ever happen again”

“Most of all, I would like to apologize to Deon. He’s a great player, and I would like to make sure he knows that my intent was never to hurt him, and that I am not that kind of a player. Again, I am sorry for what happened on the field and everything that has happened around that. Also, I would like to apologize to Commissioner Bowlsby and the Big 12.”

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/08/mike-davis-issues-apology-for-hit-comments/

Weebe
10-08-2013, 05:18 PM
It's only because he plays for Texas.

Which, ironically, is the same reason he only received a verbal reprimand from the league office.

Weebe
10-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Mike today:

“I would like to issue a full apology for not only the play that occurred with Deon Broomfield of Iowa State, but everything that has surrounded this issue. My comments yesterday were not intended to indicate that I would ever do anything illegal or malicious, and I would never have any intent of hurting anyone or doing anything else outside of the rules.”

“I would like to provide a full retraction of anything I said that wasn’t apologetic for the play last Thursday, and that I completely understand and accept the reprimand issued by the Big 12. I will do everything that I can to learn from all aspects of this situation and nothing like this will ever happen again”

“Most of all, I would like to apologize to Deon. He’s a great player, and I would like to make sure he knows that my intent was never to hurt him, and that I am not that kind of a player. Again, I am sorry for what happened on the field and everything that has happened around that. Also, I would like to apologize to Commissioner Bowlsby and the Big 12.”

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/08/mike-davis-issues-apology-for-hit-comments/

I am curious as to why Davis made this apology. Both he an Mack Brown have stated that there was nothing wrong with the block.

Roughneck93
10-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Lol, was there really a need for a video??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkZnJbJoaKs&sns=em

Txbroadcaster
10-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Which, ironically, is the same reason he only received a verbal reprimand from the league office.

Do you really believe what you say all the time about the Big 12 and UT?

Weebe
10-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Do you really believe what you say all the time about the Big 12 and UT?

I believe that they receive preferential treatment from the Big XII. So does Mark Mangino. So does Mike Gundy.

It's been documented that that it is why the University of Nebraska and Texas A&M left the conference.

It's been long rumored that Bowlsby would be a leading candidate to replace DeLoss Dodds. You don't think that's just the slightest conflict of interest?

Old Tiger
10-08-2013, 08:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=f8NrdlckO_E

Txbroadcaster
10-08-2013, 09:06 PM
I believe that they receive preferential treatment from the Big XII. So does Mark Mangino. So does Mike Gundy.

It's been documented that that it is why the University of Nebraska and Texas A&M left the conference.

It's been long rumored that Bowlsby would be a leading candidate to replace DeLoss Dodds. You don't think that's just the slightest conflict of interest?

wow coaches who have lost complained about the refs LOL..yea that documents 100% proof LOL

This is the problem with conspiracy theories...A. Your talking about a large number of people would have to be willing to hide what your saying and hope not one talks and B Risk/Reward.If the conference got caught your talking about losing BCS status, losing cred and looking like a fool..why not protect OU who has a better resume over the last 15 years?

Old Tiger
10-08-2013, 09:19 PM

Bowlsby is the lowest on the candidates list I've heard.

Names that are above him are Oliver Luck and Ian McCaw.

coach
10-09-2013, 07:18 AM
Did you hear where iMIke Davis said he would do it again because he was loafing and h deserved to get cut. That tells you the kind of kids mack has on this team. He is selfish enough to make that statement and let everyone know hed do it again and cost his team 15 yards. Like i said earlier, that was one of the cheapest hits i have seen in a while. Late, at the knees, from the side, 30 yards away from the ball. I know if one of my kids ever did that crap he wouldnt do it again.

Weebe
10-09-2013, 08:09 AM
wow coaches who have lost complained about the refs LOL..yea that documents 100% proof LOL

This is the problem with conspiracy theories...A. Your talking about a large number of people would have to be willing to hide what your saying and hope not one talks and B Risk/Reward.If the conference got caught your talking about losing BCS status, losing cred and looking like a fool..why not protect OU who has a better resume over the last 15 years?

Did you think I was going to provide proof via a memo on Big XII stationary?

You asked me if I believed it. I said I did along with other coaches and administrators that I mentioned. I'd say they all have more credibility on the subject than you or me.

Txbroadcaster
10-09-2013, 08:13 AM
Did you think I was going to provide proof via a memo on Big XII stationary?

You asked me if I believed it. I said I did along with other coaches and administrators that I mentioned. I'd say they all have more credibility on the subject than you or me.

no they do not..they have a vested interest that clouds anyone's mind especially in a heated moment after a game

Weebe
10-09-2013, 08:19 AM
Right

Tricky
10-09-2013, 08:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u-ZGJ4pwOk&feature=player_embedded

Weebe
10-09-2013, 08:22 AM
Pull up the game film on the calls they were complaining about.

2013-ISU game
2012-OSU game
2011-A&M game
2009-Big XII championship game

An inordinate amount of calls go Texas' way at the end of close games.

New Taiton
10-09-2013, 08:45 AM

2013-ISU game
2012-OSU game
2011-A&M game

http://i.imgur.com/T4BrSwO.gif

Old Tiger
10-09-2013, 06:16 PM

2013-ISU game
2012-OSU game
2011-A&M game

4 games out of hundreds?

Txbroadcaster
10-09-2013, 06:23 PM
4 games out of hundreds?

and none of those 4 show anything concrete..close calls yes...OMG terrible calls not even close

1st and goal
10-09-2013, 08:09 PM
and none of those 4 show anything concrete..close calls yes...OMG terrible calls not even close
The ISU 2013 calls at the end were horrible. What bush were you hiding behind not to see?

Txbroadcaster
10-09-2013, 08:13 PM
The ISU 2013 calls at the end were horrible. What bush were you hiding behind not to see?

sorry but when video does not actually show the ball out before he is down there is nothing that can be done..officials cannot infer or assume and you cannot 100% tell the exact point the ball comes out...as I said before..if they would have called it a fumble on the field I think the exact same thing applies and the ruling on the field would have stood because again not enough actual video evidence

bobcat1
10-09-2013, 08:16 PM
Statement from the Big 12:

The Big 12 Conference announced a public reprimand of University of Texas football student-athlete Mike Davis for his action leading to assessment of a personal foul penalty during Texas’ third-quarter touchdown in Thursday night’s game at Iowa State.

“In accord with the Conference’s Sportsmanship and Ethical Conduct policy, Mr. Davis’ action was in violation of the rule prohibiting physically abusive acts toward an opponent’s team members during a contest,” said Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby. “Given the heightened emphasis on player safety, unnecessary and illegal acts such as this have no place in the game and are unacceptable. Mr. Davis is also put on notice that any future such behavior may result in a more serious penalty, including possible suspension.”

Imagine that! I bet that scared him.

1st and goal
10-09-2013, 08:16 PM
sorry but when video does not actually show the ball out before he is down there is nothing that can be done..officials cannot infer or assume and you cannot 100% tell the exact point the ball comes out...as I said before..if they would have called it a fumble on the field I think the exact same thing applies and the ruling on the field would have stood because again not enough actual video evidence

Obviously the bush must have been over your head. I saw it. The announcers saw it (and they're supposed to be neutral). Everyone but those standing behind the bush saw it. They even replayed it real time thinking that maybe the whistle had blown but clearly it had not. Take off your orange blinders.

bobcat1
10-09-2013, 08:20 PM
Lol, was there really a need for a video??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkZnJbJoaKs&sns=emAt least he reads well.