PDA

View Full Version : Region IV Game 6 GOTW - Wharton (6-0, 2-0) at Columbus (4-1, 2-0)

Scoop27
10-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Who wins
Wharton
Columbus

SHSBulldog00
10-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Mod's please Sticky this thread as the Region IV GOTW.

SHSBulldog00
10-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Katt

whitelightning5
10-07-2013, 01:10 PM
I'll get this started. I like Wharton in this one....based on a hunch. I've only seen Columbus play Bellville. I felt that Bellville handed the Cardinals the game. They came out flat and played like crap. Even with as poorly as they played, Bellville still had the opportunity to win at the end. A phantom unsportsmanlike call had the 'go ahead' TD erased, as it was later determined that the ball carrier was actually high stepping an attempted tackler.

WhartonTigers
10-07-2013, 01:17 PM
MEAT of our schedule starts now...same motto week after week. TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS... should be a great high flying game. Bunch of speed from both sides i know columbus has two guys returning from their all state sprint relay team. Does anyone know what position they play?

44INAROW
10-07-2013, 01:33 PM
MEAT of our schedule starts now...

So Wharton has been beating everyone like red-headed step children? I haven't been following much but from what I've read, I think Wharton takes this game but I hope the Cardinals prove me wrong.

maestro
10-07-2013, 04:18 PM
[QUOTE=WhartonTigers;1768551]MEAT of our schedule starts now...same motto week after week. TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS... should be a great high flying game.

I think what he means is wharton's district schedule began with needville and ends with royal.

In between are the killer games.

Scoop27
10-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Since I don't have a game to cover for the El Campo newspaper, I'll be in Columbus. Of course I'll eat at Schoebel's first.
Tigers have been playing great defense lately. Hope Wharton will bring a big fan base with it be less than an hour's drive.
Hope they won't have El Campo in the back of their minds. Sure coach Finn will have the Tigers focused

WhartonTigers
10-08-2013, 08:05 AM
So Wharton has been beating everyone like red-headed step children? I haven't been following much but from what I've read, I think Wharton takes this game but I hope the Cardinals prove me wrong.

Not like red-Headed step children only one major blow out against an 0-6 houston Scarbarough which really doesnt count, we survived cuero 23-22, beat columbia pretty decently, came from behind to beat Brazosport 35-25, stomped needville 32-3, and watched a track meet against Sealy 35-14. Now the tougher opponents are scheduled we will see how much heart these boys have..

hookandladder
10-08-2013, 08:39 AM
I think the Ex. LG coaches pull another one out at home, if game was away maybe not. Columbus by 7.

WhartonTigers
10-08-2013, 09:48 AM
I think the Ex. LG coaches pull another one out at home, if game was away maybe not. Columbus by 7.

I wouldn't be so sure of that Tim Finn is an excepional coach and really prepares his guys for Friday. Our defense is flying on all cylinders...

YTBulldogs
10-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Just not sold, like most are, on Columbus just yet. Yes, I like their direction under the new coach. Just not this week, against a superior team. I see them getting down early, and reverting back to what they know best.

Wharton 44
Columbus 14

hookandladder
10-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Just not sold, like most are, on Columbus just yet. Yes, I like their direction under the new coach. Just not this week, against a superior team. I see them getting down early, and reverting back to what they know best.

Wharton 44
Columbus 14

So with Columbus beating Yoakum by 5 points this year , you feel Wharton is 5 TD's better then Yoakum. Man I thought Yoakum was a little better then that, do not use turnovers for your loss to Columbus because that is all part of the game.

WhartonTigers
10-08-2013, 01:38 PM
YTBulldogs understands how incredibly loaded with talent Wharton is this year. I think its safe to say we could beat yoakum by 30+ pts,

hookandladder
10-08-2013, 01:52 PM
YTBulldogs understands how incredibly loaded with talent Wharton is this year. I think its safe to say we could beat yoakum by 30+ pts,

Wow, you gonna take that YT.

speedbump
10-08-2013, 03:33 PM
I've got to go along with Manso on this one. Columbus will have a chance only if Wharton is looking ahead to it's once in a decade chance to beat El Campo.

WhartonTigers
10-09-2013, 08:14 AM
Wow, you gonna take that YT.

its not a dis, me and YT have already talked about our matchups and how we would match up this year.

Pudlugger
10-09-2013, 08:21 AM
I've got to go along with Manso on this one. Columbus will have a chance only if Wharton is looking ahead to it's once in a decade chance to beat El Campo.

Columbus has a very real chance in this game. Their defense is very good probably the best Wharten will have faced. As for speed they match up real well with the Tigers. I think folks will be surprised once this game is over.

WhartonTigers
10-09-2013, 08:34 AM
Columbus has a very real chance in this game. Their defense is very good probably the best Wharten will have faced. As for speed they match up real well with the Tigers. I think folks will be surprised once this game is over.

Heard that last week, and the week before that, and the week before that... and every week we dominate defense, running and passing. But you are forgetting about our strongest point right now. SPECIAL TEAMS... Needville and Sealy literally kicked out of bounds every single time (kickoff and punts). just a fair warning if you kick to #5 Leeshod Oneil its going to the house.

maestro
10-09-2013, 08:38 AM

Don't know about that.

Yoakum has speed and also plays the smash mouth version.

Is there a chance these two could meet in bi district?
If so, this post will probably surface again.

Pudlugger
10-09-2013, 09:04 AM
Based on what some folks are posting here it would seem Wharten is ripe for a take down IMHO. Maybe Columbus will oblige.

44INAROW
10-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Based on what some folks are posting here it would seem Wharton is ripe for a take down IMHO. Maybe Columbus will oblige.

I hear you - and just to set the record straight - they didn't dominate every team so far this year. Wish Cuero had another shot :)

WhartonTigers
10-09-2013, 09:46 AM
I hear you - and just to set the record straight - they didn't dominate every team so far this year. Wish Cuero had another shot :)

you guys were only close because that was our quarterbacks first game on a Friday night. Now he is pretty efficient and the offense and defense are 100 times better than the first game. It would be a fight but you guys have no speed to keep up. That made the difference in the first game. But i have to give it to you Cuero, your RB is the Best we have seen all season...

44INAROW
10-09-2013, 09:55 AM
you guys were only close because that was our quarterbacks first game on a Friday night. Now he is pretty efficient and the offense and defense are 100 times better than the first game. It would be a fight but you guys have no speed to keep up. That made the difference in the first game. But i have to give it to you Cuero, your RB is the Best we have seen all season...

oh, that's right - and it wasn't our 1st game too? We literally GAVE y'all two touchdowns but Wharton won the game and that's the only stat that matters. :hijacktd: sorry - this thread needs to get back to Wharton vs Columbus.. Like I said earlier - I think Wharton will win but wouldn't be a bit surprised if the Cardinals pull out an upset

WhartonTigers
10-09-2013, 10:04 AM
oh, that's right - and it wasn't our 1st game too? We literally GAVE y'all two touchdowns but Wharton won the game and that's the only stat that matters. :hijacktd: sorry - this thread needs to get back to Wharton vs Columbus.. Like I said earlier - I think Wharton will win but wouldn't be a bit surprised if the Cardinals pull out an upset

there are no gimmies come kick off time...but you're right hopefully we see you guys first round...

Pudlugger
10-09-2013, 10:09 AM

Only close because blah blah blah...Wharton a hundred times better blah blah blah...every week we dominate blah blah blah. It's like a broken record on this thread. Go Columbus, please deliver the win to keep someone's head from over-inflating and exploding on this board. :devil: :evilgrin:

GU_81
10-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Heard that last week, and the week before that, and the week before that... and every week we dominate defense, running and passing. But you are forgetting about our strongest point right now. SPECIAL TEAMS... Needville and Sealy literally kicked out of bounds every single time (kickoff and punts). just a fair warning if you kick to #5 Leeshod Oneil its going to the house.

I too would disagree that Wharton dominated Cuero. The Wharton offense only accounted for 9 points against Cuero defense. Wharton got the main statistic, the "W" and kudos to the Tigers for making the plays to win the game. Our defintions of dominating every category must differ.
Team Stats
Cuero Wharton
Total yards 296 216
First downs 20 11
Rushes/Yds 37/187 25/98
Average rush 5.05 3.92
Comp/Atts 15/20/1 12/17/0
Pass yards 109 118
Comp pct 75 70.59
Punts 4 4
Punting Yards 138 124
Punting Average 34.5 31
Fumbles/Lost 3/2 1/1
Penalties-yards 4-35 3-25

Scoop27
10-09-2013, 11:56 AM
While the game is in Columbus, I don't think playing at home will be a factor. It all comes down to the team that commits the least turnovers and defensive play. Coach Finn has the Tigers believing in themselves no matter what the case. This game is really a toss-up. Sealy and El Campo should win their games with ease.
As I stated before, Wharton can't look past the Cardinals to the Ricebirds in the River Battle

WhartonTigers
10-09-2013, 01:32 PM
While the game is in Columbus, I don't think playing at home will be a factor. It all comes down to the team that commits the least turnovers and defensive play. Coach Finn has the Tigers believing in themselves no matter what the case. This game is really a toss-up. Sealy and El Campo should win their games with ease.
As I stated before, Wharton can't look past the Cardinals to the Ricebirds in the River Battle

its funny every poster in here says Wharton is looking past Columbus but none of you stay here or talk to the coaches. They arent even worried about El Campo yet. Not until the game clock Friday says 0:00 in the 4th. Then all energy goes to El Campo. But right now we are worried about Columbus and playing a mistake free game. (bad snaps, holding plays, taking plays off)

OLE'BULL
10-09-2013, 01:43 PM

Needville and Sealy are 2 of the worst 3 teams in the district dude. Ya shouldn't brag about beating up on the little people. You should know better rook!

OLE'BULL
10-09-2013, 01:45 PM
I too would disagree that Wharton dominated Cuero. The Wharton offense only accounted for 9 points against Cuero defense. Wharton got the main statistic, the "W" and kudos to the Tigers for making the plays to win the game. Our defintions of dominating every category must differ.
Team Stats
Cuero Wharton
Total yards 296 216
First downs 20 11
Rushes/Yds 37/187 25/98
Average rush 5.05 3.92
Comp/Atts 15/20/1 12/17/0
Pass yards 109 118
Comp pct 75 70.59
Punts 4 4
Punting Yards 138 124
Punting Average 34.5 31
Fumbles/Lost 3/2 1/1
Penalties-yards 4-35 3-25

Seems to me Cuero played the better game. Am I missing something WhartonTigers? And please dont respond with something about the "W". I am addressing your comment about dominating every team, every week, every category, blah, blah. Offense accounting for 9 points? C'mon man!

WhartonTigers
10-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Needville and Sealy are 2 of the worst 3 teams in the district dude. Ya shouldn't brag about beating up on the little people. You should know better rook!

Well let bellville kick the ball in bounds and watch what happens lol end of discussion YOU WILL SEE FOR YOURSELF.... and you are calling sealy weak.. they arent weak just didnt have enough speed to cover guys, but i wont be surprised if they beat Bellville. BTW we come to play on the ant piles this year.

OLE'BULL
10-09-2013, 01:50 PM
Well let bellville kick the ball in bounds and watch what happens lol end of discussion YOU WILL SEE FOR YOURSELF.... and you are calling sealy weak.. they arent weak just didnt have enough speed to cover guys, but i wont be surprised if they beat Bellville. BTW we come to play on the ant piles this year.

They are the 3rd worst team in the district, if that makes them weak by your standards, so be it. And for the record, THEY WONT BEAT BELLVILLE. Save this post for after week 10 and feed me my crow if need be. I am that confident.

WhartonTigers
10-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Good Luck Bellville see ya in 2 1/2 weeks....

OLE'BULL
10-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Good Luck Bellville see ya in 2 1/2 weeks....

We will be sure to let the cows graze all week on the pasture...

whitelightning5
10-09-2013, 02:03 PM
I really wanted Wharton to win to help out Bellville's odds of a DC (I see both Columbus and Wharton losing to El Campo and Wharton/Bellville playing for the DC), but after reading this trash week in and week out, I almost wish Columbus would shut you up....HARD!

WhartonTigers
10-09-2013, 02:04 PM
dont have to, ill speed will burn the grass for ya! Have a good day!!:flaming:

OLE'BULL
10-09-2013, 02:08 PM
I really wanted Wharton to win to help out Bellville's odds of a DC (I see both Columbus and Wharton losing to El Campo and Wharton/Bellville playing for the DC), but after reading this trash week in and week out, I almost wish Columbus would shut you up....HARD!

I feel the exact same way....

OLE'BULL
10-09-2013, 02:10 PM

Uhh its not like we dont have a RB going for almost 200 yds a game. And I wasn't implying that the cows would eat the grass so your blazing fast, all american, best ever to grace 3A high school football with their presence players wouldnt have to. I was just giving you a warning so you dont slip in $hit.

whitelightning5
10-09-2013, 02:11 PM

Not to take over this thread with other topics. How would you rank your team speed against all teams in this district? What team will you face that has the best chance to keep up with your speedsters?

speedbump
10-09-2013, 04:07 PM

You think this is bad --wait till you get a load of this guys rants next week before the EC game.

maestro
10-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Only close because blah blah blah...Wharton a hundred times better blah blah blah...every week we dominate blah blah blah. It's like a broken record on this thread. Go Columbus, please deliver the win to keep someone's head from over-inflating and exploding on this board. :devil: :evilgrin:

I miss RaiderRed2000 and WHSplaya and some honest, HUMBLE wharton updates.

But this is probably a whs student based on the emotion.

Surely an adult poster would tone it down a little.

Scoop loves the Tigers but he does not get this worked up.

The Bull #40
10-09-2013, 05:44 PM

For all who don't know, Wharton is "loaded with talent" when they have a winning season. Haha. Columbus by 14. Can't wait till the Kittens make the trip to Bellville so you can see some REAL RBs.

WhartonTigers
10-10-2013, 08:07 AM
Not to take over this thread with other topics. How would you rank your team speed against all teams in this district? What team will you face that has the best chance to keep up with your speedsters?

Columbus hands down. they have two guys coming back from an all state sprint relay team. They won regionals with ease but got disqualified for a celebration technicality.

WhartonTigers
10-10-2013, 08:09 AM
For all who don't know, Wharton is "loaded with talent" when they have a winning season. Haha. Columbus by 14. Can't wait till the Kittens make the trip to Bellville so you can see some REAL RBs.

For all who dont know wharton has had a winning season EVERY YEAR they have been in a spread offense.

44INAROW
10-10-2013, 08:41 AM
Columbus hands down. they have two guys coming back from an all state sprint relay team. They won regionals with ease but got disqualified for a celebration technicality.

I just have to ask....... what is an "all state sprint relay team"?

WhartonTigers
10-10-2013, 09:16 AM
I just have to ask....... what is an "all state sprint relay team"?

A team that wins their region and has the time to win state. Columbus got DQ last year after winning regionals hands down for their anchor leg (Derek Hayes) pointed his finger towards Heaven thanking God.. SO i know they have some speedsters also..

44INAROW
10-10-2013, 09:45 AM
A team that wins their region and has the time to win state. Columbus got DQ last year after winning regionals hands down for their anchor leg (Derek Hayes) pointed his finger towards Heaven thanking God.. SO i know they have some speedsters also..

oh, I see :vrycnfsd:.. nevermind.. :helpme:

Pudlugger
10-10-2013, 10:08 AM
44, last year in the Regional finals the Columbus 400 yard relay team beat 2nd place Bellville by a considerable distance to apparently advance to the semi-finals but the relay team was disqualified due to "excessive celebration" by the anchor runner who pointed up to the sky at the finish line then bad mouthed the ref who flagged him. It was in the national news.

I believe a Columbus sprinter Scimcek went on to win state in the 100. He is the Qb now for Columbus. Yes they do have speed.

44INAROW
10-10-2013, 10:21 AM
44, last year in the Regional finals the Columbus 400 yard relay team beat 2nd place Bellville by a considerable distance to apparently advance to the semi-finals but the relay team was disqualified due to "excessive celebration" by the anchor runner who pointed up to the sky at the finish line then bad mouthed the ref who flagged him. It was in the national news.

I believe a Columbus sprinter Scimcek went on to win state in the 100. He is the Qb now for Columbus. Yes they do have speed.
I remember the story now - I just had never heard the term "all state sprint team" I have no doubt they have speed... :)

maestro
10-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Heard an old college coach talking today about turnovers and special teams play being deciding factors in most games.

And I will throw in field position, which also involves special teams and turnovers.

No one has mentioned this being Columbus homecoming week.

Do those things help or distract a team?

maestro
10-10-2013, 07:07 PM
If you scroll down the postings, Scoop has provided the good article from the Columbus paper about the Cardinals ability to run out of the spread.

Last week Wharton ran successfully out of the spread.

I think, and the Oregon Ducks prove this, that when a spread team can truly run the ball it leads to success.

Hope the light bulbs hold up on the scoreboard. It would be great to watch an exciting up and down game.

Sorry defensive coordinators. Haha

Pudlugger
10-10-2013, 07:46 PM
Columbus runs out of the veer.

WhartonTigers
10-11-2013, 08:08 AM

Yep with two fullbacks and a TB in the I formation... saw it yesterday against the Junior high.

WhartonTigers
10-11-2013, 08:24 AM
By KEITH MAGEE kmagee@journal-spectator.com
Wharton at Columbus
The Tigers continue to have one of their best starts in school history, but the focus this week is facing Columbus for sole possession of first place in District 25-3A.
Wharton and Columbus, both 2-0 in district, are the only undefeated teams left in the district race. The winner will stand alone in the top of the league standings.
The Tigers may be looking at themselves in the mirror, as the Cardinals are also a fast team like the Tigers.
“They are very talented and a very explosive team,” Wharton Coach Tim Finn said. “They’ve scored on a lot of big plays. They are about as balanced as we are.”
Finn said the quarterback — Tyson Simcik — threw for almost 3,000 yards last season, and the Cardinals have also been successful running the ball.
“They’ve hit some big plays,” Finn said. “They can strike in a hurry.”
Simcik is one of the three top rushers, along with tailback Royce Caldwell, the district’s 100-meter champion last year in track, and fullback Detrilow Carter. Caldwell missed most of last season because of an injury.
“All three can and will run the ball,” Finn said.
Finn added that Caldwell has also scored four touchdown receptions.
“We have to know where he is all the time,” Finn said.
One plus the Tigers have going into the game was a solid win over Sealy last week, 35-14.
“That was our best overall performance of the year, but we want to build on that,” Finn said.
Finn was pleased with the Tigers’ ground game, with almost 300 yards rushing.
“That’s a heck of a night,” Finn said.
While the Tigers didn’t gain as much through the air, the good rushing game helped even the Tigers’ stats for the year.
“That balanced out our offense,” Finn said. “That’s what we want people to worry about.”
Dontre Elliott had his best game of the year, with 194 yards rushing on 19 carries.
“He’s getting back into form, which we needed badly,” Finn said. “The O (offensive) line is getting better every day, and the receivers are very unselfish.”
Finn was also pleased with the special teams, saying they “played outstanding.”
The coach also noted that the Tiger defense had a shutout at halftime against the district’s No. 1 offense.
Last week’s win gave the Tigers a 6-0 record, which is now the second best start in school history. Research last week found that the 1974 team holds the school record for best start at 7-0.
“This game would tie us for the best start,” Finn said. “That would be quite an accomplishment for the 2013 football team.”

The Bull #40
10-11-2013, 10:38 AM
I wish I could come to this game to see Wharton's blazing fast speed and the future State Championship Tigers.... Just kidding. If columbus plays halfway decent y'all will have your hands full. I hope the Cardinals put 40 up on y'all. If you do manage to win, don't worry the Brahmas will put an end to your undefeated season when y'all come to The Pasture. Columbus wins 35-21.

WhartonTigers
10-11-2013, 01:24 PM
i wish i could come to this game to see wharton's blazing fast speed and the future state championship tigers.... Just kidding. If columbus plays halfway decent y'all will have your hands full. I hope the cardinals put 40 up on y'all. If you do manage to win, don't worry the brahmas will put an end to your undefeated season when y'all come to the pasture. Columbus wins 35-21.

see ya tonight!!!!!

The Bull #40
10-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Negative WhartonTigers, I will be at the Austin County Fair. But I will be on tonight or tomorrow and getting updates from a buddy at the game. I hope it's an injury free game on both sides but I would like to see Columbus prevail so Wharton comes off their high horse.

maestro
10-11-2013, 04:38 PM

Darn allergy season
Thought they were in shotgun
Oh well

It's a shame the WhartonTiger poster has come on so strong cause the kids suiting up for whs this year are not loud mouth egotistical at all
They are kids that work hard and you could trust with your car keys, house keys, etc

That's why I wish more " in the know " wharton fans would post.

Scoop27
10-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Wharton fans might be on their high horse but I doubt coach Finn or the players have an attitude problem. They don't take anyone for granted and take one game at a time

WhartonTigers
10-12-2013, 01:27 PM
Darn allergy season
Thought they were in shotgun
Oh well

It's a shame the WhartonTiger poster has come on so strong cause the kids suiting up for whs this year are not loud mouth egotistical at all
They are kids that work hard and you could trust with your car keys, house keys, etc

That's why I wish more " in the know " wharton fans would post.

You don't even know one kid on the roster so how would you know how they are?

speedbump
10-12-2013, 01:44 PM
You don't even know one kid on the roster so how would you know how they are?

How do you know how many he knows and are you saying they ARE egotistical loud mouths?

WhartonTigers
10-13-2013, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE=speedbump;1770183]How do you know how many he knows and are you saying they ARE egotistical loud mouths?[/QUOTE

There are some that have a few attitudes but as a whole, the team is well coached and well disciplined. My hat goes off to Coach Finn.

speedbump
10-13-2013, 02:02 PM
[QUOTE=speedbump;1770183]How do you know how many he knows and are you saying they ARE egotistical loud mouths?[/QUOTE

There are some that have a few attitudes but as a whole, the team is well coached and well disciplined. My hat goes off to Coach Finn.

Yep, coach Finn is doing a good job. Whartons defense impresses me more than their offense.

WhartonTigers
10-13-2013, 02:08 PM
[QUOTE=WhartonTigers;1770477]

Yep, coach Finn is doing a good job. Whartons defense impresses me more than their offense.

Yeah defense and running game and special teams are the strengths. Our Qb is learning as the season goes on, has to make some better reads and throws to spread out opposing defenses.

Bull's-eye
10-16-2013, 09:35 PM
Congratulations to Wharton! One question for the Columbus posters: Why was the scoreboard shut off right after the game ended, but stayed on for hours after the Bellville game?

Manso/V8
10-16-2013, 11:47 PM
[QUOTE=WhartonTigers;1770477]

It will be interesting to see if Finn has learned how to teach the kids the slot t reads.
They were least prepared for Bellville's version of all the teams we played last year.
Wharton also lost to a marginal slot t team in Navarro in the second round.

YTBulldogs
10-16-2013, 11:50 PM
Congratulations to Wharton! One question for the Columbus posters: Why was the scoreboard shut off right after the game ended, but stayed on for hours after the Bellville game?

Simple. They lost and then they won. LOL.

Bull's-eye
10-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Simple. They lost and then they won. LOL.

You got it YT! I wanted to make sure I had the final score correct, but somebody shut the scoreboard down just minutes after the game was over.

WhartonTigers
10-18-2013, 01:24 PM
You got it YT! I wanted to make sure I had the final score correct, but somebody shut the scoreboard down just minutes after the game was over.

25-17 final