PDA

View Full Version : Do you buy football programs

pirate4state
10-03-2013, 09:43 AM
Do you buy a program (if offered) at football games? We put out a great program and have started to include the visiting team's roster and that has really gone over very well.

We sell ours for $5. What are some other prices you've seen and what is the quality like?

If you don't buy a program; why not?

Roughneck93
10-03-2013, 09:55 AM
We sell our Media Guide for $5. It's nice, in color too.

I buy one and bring it with me to all the games, or at least until I'm familiar with the roster.

I would buy one at every home game if it included the other team's roster...

If we are on the road I buy one. I hate not knowing who's who.

MUSTANG69
10-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Quality of Ingleside's program is greatly improved this year. Selling price is $ 3.00. I always try to buy a program at home or away.

Yoe_09
10-03-2013, 12:09 PM
The Cameron Yoe program has always been pretty nice and is pretty close to 100 pages (a lot of ads with color). $3.00.

Scoop27
10-03-2013, 12:13 PM
In my opinion most fans just want the roster of each team. I get my rosters emailed to me by the school coaches earlier in the week for my work purposes for the newspaper.

Phantom Stang
10-03-2013, 12:27 PM
I buy one every once in a while.
I wish they would go back to putting the Norman Rockwell style illustrations on the covers.

Gone Fishing
10-03-2013, 01:16 PM
I always do , but it pisses me off when they don't have size of player. I want to know height weight position and class of the players. Don't get size very often and I don't understand. I buy one also because I know money goes to boosters or cheerleaders etc.

Old Green
10-03-2013, 01:34 PM
I always do , but it pisses me off when they don't have size of player. I want to know height weight position and class of the players. Don't get size very often and I don't understand. I buy one also because I know money goes to boosters or cheerleaders etc.This ! I buy a program every game. I too like to see the sizes of both home and visitors players .

Scoop27
10-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Some programs only have player name, number and position
Ht and WT are almost a thing of the past

Gone Fishing
10-03-2013, 03:56 PM
Some programs only have player name, number and position
Ht and WT are almost a thing of the past

I know! doesn't that make you mad.... Of course they all lie about their size most the time anyway. LOL Get to college and its to the pound and the 1/4 inch....

pirate4state
10-03-2013, 04:05 PM
The Cameron Yoe program has always been pretty nice and is pretty close to 100 pages (a lot of ads with color). $3.00.

:eek: Whoa 100 pages!?!?! Good job! Which organization profits from your program? Just curious.

Our program this year is only 60 pages. The most we've ever had was a 68 page book. Just some classes advertise more than others and I'm proud to say that 90% of the Sinton businesses buy an ad every year in our program. Only a few out of town businesses will buy an ad, then again I don't know that we solicit outside of Sinton lol.

As far as the roster...for some reason coaches are hinky about putting out HT/WT...not sure why?

Thanks for the replies!

pirate4state
10-03-2013, 04:11 PM
I always do , but it pisses me off when they don't have size of player. I want to know height weight position and class of the players. Don't get size very often and I don't understand. I buy one also because I know money goes to boosters or cheerleaders etc.

We appreciate ya! :)

SintonFan_inAustin
10-03-2013, 04:54 PM
yep road and home games.

Think TM has been the highest $6.00.

LH Panther Mom
10-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Yes, always, home & away, provided someone offers them to me. At away games, I am not going searching all over kingdom come looking for one. I will at home, though. $5 for ours & I'll go up to $6, if needed.

FB-fanatic
10-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Lorena's is 92 pages, all color. A little over half Senior ads and then business ads. Both rosters, no weights or heights. $3

As a high school player, I weighed 179 lbs. In 2A/3A, 180lbs was a big player, 179lbs was an average size. Coaches would never cheat my weight up to 180lbs. on the program. Always kinda pissed me off.

957tiger
10-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Sealy puts out a pretty good program that has lots of color photos. The program changes covers every week. It includes all the coaches and their bios. The opponents roster, ht/wt depends if the opposing coach provides it. It features trivia questions and the W-L record of the coaches dating back to 1928. it also has the JV and Freshman scores. All for the reasonable price of 3.00. Usually sells out every game. I've only seen a couple left in the stands after the game.

SHSBulldog00
10-03-2013, 10:27 PM
I buy one at the beginning of the season and then I don't buy another unless I misplace or something happens to the program. I do buy new ones for every playoff game.

Scoop27
10-03-2013, 10:43 PM
Are cheerleaders or other home team persons selling the programs on the visitors side stands in most cases?

regaleagle
10-04-2013, 02:15 AM
I'll usually buy a program to every event I watch nowadays, since my son is already graduated from college, no less. We are no longer "regulars" every week to one team, like in the days my son was playing all those years in Argyle and we traveled to every away game, as well. Even when I go to a college event, I buy a program. Last week, we watched the Coogs defeat UTSA in the AlamoDome, and I bought a program. My son was in charge of program sales for the Cougar football games at Roberston Stadium while at UH for 2 seasons. That was a great job he fanagled. He got $1 for each program sold on gameday, and his frat brothers/sorority sisters got a buck apiece for what they sold individually...but he got $1 for EACH program sold total for that game....for 6 home games in a season. Of course, he had to collect the $$$, do the accounting, and turn it in. It was a great job, and he even helped in the off-season with the sponsor sales. He's a Bus. Marketing major like his dear old dad.

pirate4state
10-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Are cheerleaders or other home team persons selling the programs on the visitors side stands in most cases?

Our cheerleaders set up at the entrance of the gate.

The last one I got was pitiful not paying $5 for a 2 page roster with limited information.

BwdLion73
10-04-2013, 03:06 PM
I'm thinking it will soon be replaced with pay and scan your smart phone on our bar code to downlow the roster information...:(

regaleagle
10-04-2013, 03:27 PM
I'm thinking it will soon be replaced with pay and scan your smart phone on our bar code to downlow the roster information...:(

That's not a good idea for several reasons. Firstly, many fans don't want to take a phone to the game, or don't have the expertise and desire to do that. Some don't even own a smartphone. Secondly, programs can be kept as a record for sentimental purposes and as a history for the players/parents to collect for keepsake purposes. I know we did that when our son played, and when he was a junior, Argyle made it all the way to the SC game in 2A in only their 4th season(third under Rodgers). Now, we can go back and review those programs and remember back to that time, my son included.

carter08
10-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Used to, yeah. Haven't in a few years, though.

pirate4state
10-04-2013, 03:51 PM
The last one I got was pitiful not paying $5 for a 2 page roster with limited information.

:eek: wow, that's a disgrace! What school? LOL

When we first started charging $5 I felt a little bad, but we have new covers each game and "flex pages" which amount to action shots of football, volleyball, cross country, etc... so the ads are all the same, but there is something different about each program. I am very proud of our program. I'm glad we are on target. Those of you that have bigger books and charge $3 are amazing!

My next question would be how much do you sell your ad space for? I think we are VERY reasonable for an all color program.

Full page ad = $225
1/2 page ad = $155
1/4 page ad = $100
1/8 page ad = $50 (just a tad larger than a business card really)

toddg
10-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Alvarado's is pretty darn good..mostly color, face pics of varsity players, roster inserts for updated roster moves and opponent rosters..$2

Scoop27
10-04-2013, 04:23 PM
I can remember programs in the 1970s were only 4 pages. Coke cover with teams playing each other- Rosters on Page 2 and Page 3 and ads on the back.

:eek: wow, that's a disgrace! What school? LOL

When we first started charging $5 I felt a little bad, but we have new covers each game and "flex pages" which amount to action shots of football, volleyball, cross country, etc... so the ads are all the same, but there is something different about each program. I am very proud of our program. I'm glad we are on target. Those of you that have bigger books and charge $3 are amazing!

My next question would be how much do you sell your ad space for? I think we are VERY reasonable for an all color program.

Full page ad = $225
1/2 page ad = $155
1/4 page ad = $100
1/8 page ad = $50 (just a tad larger than a business card really)

The Monterey game seems like was a 2 page little pitiful deal. Maybe there was a better one but not what I got. There was a nice one recently that had adds for seniors etc... Very nice

BwdLion73
10-04-2013, 08:13 PM
That's not a good idea for several reasons. Firstly, many fans don't want to take a phone to the game, or don't have the expertise and desire to do that. Some don't even own a smartphone. Secondly, programs can be kept as a record for sentimental purposes and as a history for the players/parents to collect for keepsake purposes. I know we did that when our son played, and when he was a junior, Argyle made it all the way to the SC game in 2A in only their 4th season(third under Rodgers). Now, we can go back and review those programs and remember back to that time, my son included.

Oh I agree...just a little tongue in cheek.

I'm still a person who checks to see if my chair is on the power cord if my computer runs slow. I can just see the wheels turning with some of our computer experts thinking how they could download it and upload it to the cloud..or sky..or whatever. At least in 20 or thirty years it would not be yellow and crumbling. ;)

GU_81
10-06-2013, 11:55 AM
I will buy one if readily available between walking through the gate and getting to my seat. I do not go out out of my way to find one. So far for 3 road games this year, I have only seen the home team selling programs on visitor's side once.

Cuero programs are $3 for about 15 pages, mostly black and white, but with color photos of teams and organizations in the middle. Adverstising rates are similar but higher than what Pirates posted above.