PDA

View Full Version : Sumlin on USC speculation

Scoop27
10-01-2013, 03:19 PM
http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2013/10/sumlin-on-usc-speculation-it-means-youre-winning-and-doing-things-right/?cmpid=hpts

Rabid Cougar
10-01-2013, 03:34 PM
I don't think so.

hookandladder
10-01-2013, 04:14 PM
You can bet he will be making close to if not 5 million next season, if the aggies want to keep him.

Sville
10-01-2013, 04:27 PM
Money will not be the issue, TAMU has the 4th largest endowment fund of any public university in the nation.

Old Tiger
10-01-2013, 08:45 PM
Money will not be the issue, TAMU has the 4th largest endowment fund of any public university in the nation.

LA is a much easier spot to recruit and the campus is superior to A&M. USC is a private school with bigger donors than A&M has.

I'm just glad Sumlin isn't going the deny method that a lot of coaches have come to do these days.

Saggy Aggie
10-01-2013, 09:12 PM
LA is a much easier spot to recruit and the campus is superior to A&M. USC is a private school with bigger donors than A&M has.

I'm just glad Sumlin isn't going the deny method that a lot of coaches have come to do these days.

A&m campus isn't too shabby since all these renovations, new buildings and construction they've been doing.

The new engineering bldg, physics, msc, dorms, roads, tearing down grollie and the Kyle field renovations, new golf course, etc

Not to mention several plans for much more in the near future.

Old Tiger
10-01-2013, 09:17 PM
A&m campus isn't too shabby since all these renovations, new buildings and construction they've been doing.

The new engineering bldg, physics, msc, dorms, roads, tearing down grollie and the Kyle field renovations, new golf course, etc

Not to mention several plans for much more in the near future.Haven't been to college station in a few years, are the new building built to match the old buildings? Seemed like everything on A&M campus look alike. The engineering building is the one on foreign corner, right?

Saggy Aggie
10-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Haven't been to college station in a few years, are the new building built to match the old buildings? Seemed like everything on A&M campus look alike. The engineering building is the one on foreign corner, right?

Lol north side is brown town lmao. Yeah... There's several new buildings on that side of campus including a 17 story high rise apt complex.

They're mostly still all beige colored like the old ones, just a lot more contemporary looking with glass and whatnot. Pretty nice buildings. The roads and sidewalks have gotten major upgrades... I think that's equally important. A&M campus sucked before... But it's slowly developing into something fairly nice.

Manso/V8
10-02-2013, 01:28 AM
Lol north side is brown town lmao. Yeah... There's several new buildings on that side of campus including a 17 story high rise apt complex.

They're mostly still all beige colored like the old ones, just a lot more contemporary looking with glass and whatnot. Pretty nice buildings. The roads and sidewalks have gotten major upgrades... I think that's equally important. A&M campus sucked before... But it's slowly developing into something fairly nice.

Yeah, upgraded sidewalks are a major recruiting advantage.

bag-o-chips
10-02-2013, 05:40 AM
What I find funny in all this speculation is the assumption by all the Horns Fans of how horrible life is in College Station. I guess the Track Coach will leave as well after all his National Titles. Sumlin has a Huge house on over 4 acres on a private lake he just moved into as well. Really funny the Texas fans can only pick on this point because they surely will not engage one in a conversation of Football and how the last 3 years Texas has more losses than wins in the Big12-2. Or about the most of the 80's and 90's they sucked as well in Football! Things cycle and just look at USC as well for an example.

Saggy Aggie
10-02-2013, 05:51 AM
Yeah, upgraded sidewalks are a major recruiting advantage.

Lol not saying that.... But if you saw what was there before and whats there now, it just significantly adds to the overall appeal of the campus.

Old Tiger
10-02-2013, 06:25 AM
What I find funny in all this speculation is the assumption by all the Horns Fans of how horrible life is in College Station. I guess the Track Coach will leave as well after all his National Titles. Sumlin has a Huge house on over 4 acres on a private lake he just moved into as well. Really funny the Texas fans can only pick on this point because they surely will not engage one in a conversation of Football and how the last 3 years Texas has more losses than wins in the Big12-2. Or about the most of the 80's and 90's they sucked as well in Football! Things cycle and just look at USC as well for an example.

North Gate sucks.

Aside from house parties and Chili Fest College Station doesn't have much appeal. It is what it has always been.

Texas has been one of the best programs in the history of college football. Things don't cycle like you want to believe. The USC, Alabama, OU, Texas, and others of similar stature don't stay down for long when they are down. Aside from the 1930s and 1990s for the Aggies their football success isn't that stellar.

coach
10-02-2013, 07:11 AM
They are about to get a huge upgrade on campus. It will be the 3rd biggest stadium in the nation if I remember correctly. And ATM just recieved the biggest donation ever. Sumlin isnt going anywhere.

D'Highlander
10-02-2013, 07:59 AM
Why would you want a coach who has never won with his own players?

bag-o-chips
10-02-2013, 08:11 AM
Just have to love the arrogance of Texas Fans. They love to bring up the overall record and such but until about the Early 1970's it was like comparing Apples to Oranges. Why does one think that Royal, Broyles were having all the success? Unlimited scholarships and money. They could snatch up all the decent players in the state and the other schools picked up the leftovers. When the NCAA leveled the playing field things began to change. Know what the record between UT and A&M is since 1975? 19-18 Texas A&M . Yep things leveled out and let's not forget the years 1984 - 1994 in those 11 years A&M won 10 of those games. I guess that is not a memory you care to share.

Lion70
10-02-2013, 08:18 AM
$750 million raised last year
$450 million stadium
$3.1-$4.5 salary
A recruiting area he knows well and does very well and is beating Texas in.

I am not worried at all just saying.....

Weebe
10-02-2013, 08:36 AM
College Station has just as much to offer as Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, Lincoln, Athens, Gainesville, Ann Arbor, South Bend and Eugene. It is all about winning at the end of the day.

Houston and Dallas have a lot to offer, but I wouldn't want to go to college there.

Some people actually want to live in a college environment and some actually enjoy living in a small town. I figured most on this board would understand that considering most of you live in small towns.

Eagle11
10-02-2013, 09:13 AM
College Station has just as much to offer as Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, Lincoln, Athens, Gainesville, Ann Arbor, South Bend and Eugene. It is all about winning at the end of the day.

Houston and Dallas have a lot to offer, but I wouldn't want to go to college there.

Some people actually want to live in a college environment and some actually enjoy living in a small town. I figured most on this board would understand that considering most of you live in small towns.
yes and most of them are not college football players.

carter08
10-02-2013, 09:24 AM

As someone that's been to Ann Arbor, Lincoln, & C-Stat, I disagree. AA & Lincoln are just...better towns than College Station is.

coach
10-02-2013, 10:31 AM
As someone that's been to Ann Arbor, Lincoln, & C-Stat, I disagree. AA & Lincoln are just...better towns than College Station is.

I cant disagree with you, but its kinda hard to believe that a town in Nebraska is better than a town in Texas. I mean after all, its Nebraska lol.

Now Ann Arbor.... I hvae never been and that wouldnt surprise me at all. I have always wanted t go to Michigan.

Rabid Cougar
10-02-2013, 10:43 AM
I cant disagree with you, but its kinda hard to believe that a town in Nebraska is better than a town in Texas. I mean after all, its Nebraska lol.

Now Ann Arbor.... I hvae never been and that wouldnt surprise me at all. I have always wanted t go to Michigan.

Baton Rouge has nothing on College Station. And Lincoln, Manhatten, Tuscaloosa ???? Really? Tucaloosa has ONE(1) IHOP.

Tom Foolery
10-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Sumlin next move is the NFL.

Weebe
10-02-2013, 11:14 AM
I have been to several games in Lincoln. The fans are great, the town is underwhelming.

Never been to Ann Arbor but have been to East Lansing for a game. Again, nothing special.

Sville
10-02-2013, 11:42 AM

That is not correct, TAMU endowment fund is twice as large as USC's, TAMU $7.639 billion, USC $3.489 billion

hookandladder
10-02-2013, 11:48 AM
Just have to love the arrogance of Texas Fans. They love to bring up the overall record and such but until about the Early 1970's it was like comparing Apples to Oranges. Why does one think that Royal, Broyles were having all the success? Unlimited scholarships and money. They could snatch up all the decent players in the state and the other schools picked up the leftovers. When the NCAA leveled the playing field things began to change. Know what the record between UT and A&M is since 1975? 19-18 Texas A&M . Yep things leveled out and let's not forget the years 1984 - 1994 in those 11 years A&M won 10 of those games. I guess that is not a memory you care to share.

I personally care more about Championships then won- lost records against teams,winning a NC is more important then having a better winning record against certain teams. I guess it all depends on what you consider success to be, Championships is what I consider being a successful season.

Txbroadcaster
10-02-2013, 11:48 AM
I think alot of people are jumping the gun on how good Sumlin is as a coach...not saying he is not good but he also has not really been somewhere long enough to get a true indicator

hookandladder
10-02-2013, 11:51 AM
I think alot of people are jumping the gun on how good Sumlin is as a coach...not saying he is not good but he also has not really been somewhere long enough to get a true indicator

Very true.

buff4ever
10-02-2013, 11:53 AM
I haven't been on much, but didn't Old Tiger disappear for a while there when things didn't go his way. Now ESPN and CBS throw out Sumlin for USC and he is back and posting. OT, you are too easy to read. You obviously allow A&M's success to ruin your happiness, or UT's down years have you unhappy. Or the combination of both are making you a psych patient.

I tend to agree with the statement above, that if Sumlin is going to go anywhere, it would be the NFL in a few years from now or later. Go have a cold beer to that OT.

You need something else in your life, or this subject is going to tear you down.

caleb_mccaig
10-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Baton Rouge has nothing on College Station. And Lincoln, Manhatten, Tuscaloosa ???? Really? Tucaloosa has ONE(1) IHOP.

How many games has A&M had 100,000 inside the stadium and 250,000 outside the stadium? That was the estimate at the Florida vs. LSU game I went to four years ago when Florida was #1 and LSU #2. I haven't heard numbers on this years A&M and Bama game but I doubt it was like that.

coach
10-02-2013, 12:57 PM
How many games has A&M had 100,000 inside the stadium and 250,000 outside the stadium? That was the estimate at the Florida vs. LSU game I went to four years ago when Florida was #1 and LSU #2. I haven't heard numbers on this years A&M and Bama game but I doubt it was like that.

its kinda hard to put 100000 people in a stadium that only holds 88. But that will all be fixed in 2015

Weebe
10-02-2013, 01:12 PM

Samantha ponder tweeted after the Bama game that it was the best stadium atmosphere she had seen at any game she had ever covered.

Obviously, that's subjective. The point is that all of those schools with great fan bases are very similar.

I've never heard USC associated with great fans. They have great history of winning there, but much like Texas, it is not a great football environment.

footballfine09
10-02-2013, 01:14 PM
USC's campus is in the ghetto. A&M much better location

Rabid Cougar
10-02-2013, 01:21 PM

None because the Ags are in Kyle Field where they belong and not at a bunch of frat tailgates around the campus. All the SEC teams have a long tradition of great atmoshphere around their campus' on Game Day/Weekend. I have been to LSU, Bama and Athens. All are great. However, the BEST I have been to is at the University of Louisiana . The Rajun Cajuns have THE BEST by far.

msu97
10-02-2013, 02:16 PM

Baton Rouge and college station are very comparable... nothing compares to Baton Rouge on a Saturday night...

problem here is, most of you are thinking with your heart... Sumlin is the Aggies coach, but at one time, he was the Cougars coach... if Sumlin perceives USC as a move up the ladder and more money then he is leaving, if he doesn't, then he is not... none of us know what he is thinking... but for anyone to say they know for certain what he is doing is crazy... if OU opened up, he could go there... in the coaching world as it is, I would think that most of you would know to never say never...

msu97
10-02-2013, 02:18 PM
USC's campus is in the ghetto. A&M much better location

this right here is truth... USC is in a hell hole... but not too far from some great sights...

coach
10-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Baton Rouge and college station are very comparable... nothing compares to Baton Rouge on a Saturday night...

problem here is, most of you are thinking with your heart... Sumlin is the Aggies coach, but at one time, he was the Cougars coach... if Sumlin perceives USC as a move up the ladder and more money then he is leaving, if he doesn't, then he is not... none of us know what he is thinking... but for anyone to say they know for certain what he is doing is crazy... if OU opened up, he could go there... in the coaching world as it is, I would think that most of you would know to never say never...

completely agree, but i honestly think he is eyeing the nfl.

msu97
10-02-2013, 02:25 PM
completely agree, but i honestly think he is eyeing the nfl.

he very well may be... but like someone mentioned earlier, Sumlin's track record at one school is not very long... so the verdict of him as a great coach is still out there... and he may want to move while the coals are hot... he may very well want to stay...
I would be willing to bet if the NFL came calling he would leave in a heart beat... but that is obviously a guess...

Rabid Cougar
10-02-2013, 03:16 PM
he very well may be... but like someone mentioned earlier, Sumlin's track record at one school is not very long... so the verdict of him as a great coach is still out there... and he may want to move while the coals are hot... he may very well want to stay...
I would be willing to bet if the NFL came calling he would leave in a heart beat... but that is obviously a guess...

This.

Weebe
10-02-2013, 03:27 PM
I'm still not convinced that Sumlin can win at A&M without Manziel. I think A&M wins 7-8 games max without him this year. We will see if he has upgraded the talent level enough to sustain it when Manziel leaves.

I also agree Sumlin takes what he perceives as the better offer/situation. But, I'm not convinced that would be USC.

coach
10-02-2013, 03:32 PM

You think hed go immediately if the browns or jaguars called?

coach
10-02-2013, 03:33 PM
I'm still not convinced that Sumlin can win at A&M without Manziel. I think A&M wins 7-8 games max without him this year. We will see if he has upgraded the talent level enough to sustain it when Manziel leaves.

I also agree Sumlin takes what he perceives as the better offer/situation. But, I'm not convinced that would be USC.

you obviously havent been watching the aggies the last two years. Not only thry have the best player in college, but they have the best wr, o line, and a top 3 back field.

buff4ever
10-02-2013, 03:42 PM
I agree with coach here. The defense is down from last year, but that doesn't mean it won't get back to that. They lost some good inside defenders last year. The Aggie offense is very potent. They can pass or run, and they are spreading it around the receivers and backs when they do. Granted, Evans is a beast, but they have enough time to throw and enough talent to spread it to even without him. Manziel does bring the whole other I can run on you dimension if you actually cover my receivers or get to me, but he hasn't had to do that very often this year at all.

I will say that A&M may be 2 or 3 losses without manziel this year, but they may be that with him this year with the current defense.

coach
10-02-2013, 04:54 PM
their defense is beat up and really young

1st and goal
10-02-2013, 05:24 PM

I Don't think that Sumlin cares about attendance as long as the stadium is full.

Old Tiger
10-02-2013, 05:28 PM
their defense is beat up and really young
Something that will hurt them for the next 2 years will be lack of defensive tackle/end recruiting the 3-4 previous year. Seems like they are turning that around but those are 2014/2015 classes.

Weebe
10-02-2013, 10:15 PM
Something that will hurt them for the next 2 years will be lack of defensive tackle/end recruiting the 3-4 previous year. Seems like they are turning that around but those are 2014/2015 classes.

They had an incredible 2013 DT recruiting class. Daeshon Hall will be an all conference DE.

Prior to 2013, I agree with you.

Old Tiger
10-02-2013, 10:23 PM
They had an incredible 2013 DT recruiting class. Daeshon Hall will be an all conference DE.

Prior to 2013, I agree with you.

They will still be young at those positions for the next 2 years.

carter08
10-02-2013, 10:33 PM
I like(d) Sumlin, but in his two head coaching gigs (A&M, Houston) he's arrived on campus with an extremely talented QB already on his roster. The QBs Houston got while Sumlin was there don't look great. Big questions about how good he really is since he's stepped into cushy situations with Keenum & Manziel.

Celina8
10-03-2013, 05:07 AM
I like(d) Sumlin, but in his two head coaching gigs (A&M, Houston) he's arrived on campus with an extremely talented QB already on his roster. The QBs Houston got while Sumlin was there don't look great. Big questions about how good he really is since he's stepped into cushy situations with Keenum & Manziel.

If USC comes calling I have no doubt that Sumlin's Agent would meet with them, then advise Sumlin if further meetings should be pursued. I can tell you to that A&M will be a much different team next year if Manziel, Matthews, and Evans jump to the NFL. With Manziel and the offensive line they are able to extend any pass play almost 3 to 4 extra seconds. I watch A&M and really don't see this great offensive play calling that is moving the ball down the field, but what I do see is a QB that is the master of improvising on each and every play. The defense cannot scheme for that. If they try to Rush, then the Offensive Line (Probably the Best in College) does a great job of picking up the Rush and Manziel then takes advantage of this with his quickness. Evans is just a beast, not the fastest receiver, but at 6'5" with great hands he is very difficult to cover for any team. Manziel has so much trust in him he will throw the ball up knowing that Evans will catch it no matter what. So, what does this have to do if Sumlin stays, or goes. It is all about timing and understanding when your Stock Value is at a premium. I would say right now Sumlin stock is at a Premium and his Agent will advise him to consider all offers. If USC decides they want Sumlin as their next Coach then he will make a decision that best serves his family and himself plane and simple. I will say this if he does go to USC then look for that to be a stepping stone to being the next Head Coach of the Oakland Raiders.

coach
10-03-2013, 07:12 AM

First of all, name mea good college coach who didnt have a good qb?

Secondly, his qb situation will nly get better. We have Kenny Hill and the Joekel kid. Also, we have the best qb in the nation coming.

1st and goal
10-03-2013, 07:50 AM
If USC comes calling I have no doubt that Sumlin's Agent would meet with them, then advise Sumlin if further meetings should be pursued. I can tell you to that A&M will be a much different team next year if Manziel, Matthews, and Evans jump to the NFL. With Manziel and the offensive line they are able to extend any pass play almost 3 to 4 extra seconds. I watch A&M and really don't see this great offensive play calling that is moving the ball down the field, but what I do see is a QB that is the master of improvising on each and every play. The defense cannot scheme for that. If they try to Rush, then the Offensive Line (Probably the Best in College) does a great job of picking up the Rush and Manziel then takes advantage of this with his quickness. Evans is just a beast, not the fastest receiver, but at 6'5" with great hands he is very difficult to cover for any team. Manziel has so much trust in him he will throw the ball up knowing that Evans will catch it no matter what. So, what does this have to do if Sumlin stays, or goes. It is all about timing and understanding when your Stock Value is at a premium. I would say right now Sumlin stock is at a Premium and his Agent will advise him to consider all offers. If USC decides they want Sumlin as their next Coach then he will make a decision that best serves his family and himself plane and simple. I will say this if he does go to USC then look for that to be a stepping stone to being the next Head Coach of the Oakland Raiders.

You might be right. I just have a tough time thinking that I wouldn't want to move to that ghetto.

Weebe
10-03-2013, 07:50 AM

Secondly, his qb situation will nly get better. We have Kenny Hill and the Joekel kid. Also, we have the best qb in the nation coming.

I doubt our Qb situation is going to get better than the Heisman trophy winner.

msu97
10-03-2013, 08:07 AM
and not to be johnny raincloud... and not to be bashing kids... but Manziel was not a highly touted recruit and yet look at him... Garrett Gilbert was the top qb in the nation coming out of hs and now look where he is... recruiting is a crap shoot... there is no guarantee these guys will be good... but I can say from personal experience that Kenny Hill is pretty good...

hookandladder
10-03-2013, 08:08 AM
Johnny Football type players only come around maybe every 10 years, I do not think anyone will ever be able to do what he has done. He is just that good, period.

coach
10-03-2013, 08:08 AM
I doubt our Qb situation is going to get better than the Heisman trophy winner.

Im talking more along the lines of depth at qb.

1st and goal
10-03-2013, 02:40 PM
http://www.aggiesports.com/blogs/aggie_sports/article_8cc4fa64-2b30-11e3-8b8c-0019bb2963f4.html

I'm guessing Sumlin is happy right now where he is.

Phil C
10-03-2013, 03:27 PM

27 -25 :)

1st and goal
10-03-2013, 04:21 PM

Hey Phil, I heard the Kumquats are ripe down in the valley. Aren't you going back down there again to pick some more this year?
:)

bag-o-chips
10-03-2013, 06:41 PM

Thanks for playing. Got ya one game closer since 75

Old Tiger
10-03-2013, 06:54 PM
Thanks for playing. Got ya one game closer since 75
Football didn't start in 1975 did it? Most people consider the beginning of football with the forward pass which was 1906.

carter08
10-04-2013, 03:47 PM

Point taken, but most good college coaches recruit those QBs, & also have years in which they don't have a great QB.

My worry with Sumlin is this-- after Keenum was injured in 2010 against UCLA, Houston went 3-6 over the rest of the season. Can Sumlin win when he isn't gifted an elite quarterback?