PDA

View Full Version : Region IV GotW: El Campo @ Bellville

YTBulldogs
09-29-2013, 07:14 AM
Here ya go Bump.

speedbump
09-29-2013, 07:18 AM
Here ya go Bump.

Thank you. Now I have to work on a prediction.

YTBulldogs
09-29-2013, 07:21 AM
Thank you. Now I have to work on a prediction.

NP. Should be a great game. I agree, BB's not happy campers.

speedbump
09-29-2013, 08:02 AM
I've decided both teams will have to throw more than they would like and the Birds pull it out 24-20. I also reserve the right to change my mind 11 times before friday.

BB BULLS
09-29-2013, 08:24 AM
I've decided both teams will have to throw more than they would like and the Birds pull it out 24-20. I also reserve the right to change my mind 11 times before friday.

well I am through licking my wounds after CC put it on us. I agree they will both have to pass a lot more, we showed we could pass a little Friday but they got away from it. if we have all the mistakes we had Friday this game we will be over at the half. I am sure Rowe we get it all worked out. team with less mistakes wins. I will go the other way of course 21-17 Bellville. and remember speed bump it is right to change our minds as much as we like.

speedbump
09-29-2013, 08:58 AM
(I decide to move this to this thread)

This game is a complete mystery. As closely as I follow the Ricebirds I still can't figure out how good or how bad they are,so I'll post my excuses now and won't have to do it later. For starters - The Birds have three starters out for the season. Their best lineman on either side of the ball (acl) middle LB (broken ankle, I think) and one of our starting RBs (broken brain, failed drug test) Add to that the fact that their replacements, along with the rest of the team,will not have seen game speed in three weeks and it's a sure fire recipe for a loss. The first quarter and a half will be huge. If the Birds can keep it close,they will have an excellent chance to come away with the win. The good news is - EC plays very good defense and Bob Gillis isn't out for the season.

Don't know what to think of Bellville (help us out Brahma fans) but I do know they will remember last year and will be playing at home. I think after opening district with an unexpected loss,they will be like some caged animal come friday night. Will this be ECs first loss to a 3A team not named Stephenville since they dropped down? I'm downright skeeeeered. But then I ain't playin. Gillis and the Birds will find a way.

hookandladder
09-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Bellville has EC at home this year, still got to go with EC. Just not seeing a solid team as expected out of Bellville, EC - 35-21.

SintonFan_inAustin
09-29-2013, 04:35 PM
El Campo by a td

Manso/V8
09-29-2013, 11:48 PM
(I decide to move this to this thread)

This game is a complete mystery. As closely as I follow the Ricebirds I still can't figure out how good or how bad they are,so I'll post my excuses now and won't have to do it later. For starters - The Birds have three starters out for the season. Their best lineman on either side of the ball (acl) middle LB (broken ankle, I think) and one of our starting RBs (broken brain, failed drug test) Add to that the fact that their replacements, along with the rest of the team,will not have seen game speed in three weeks and it's a sure fire recipe for a loss. The first quarter and a half will be huge. If the Birds can keep it close,they will have an excellent chance to come away with the win. The good news is - EC plays very good defense and Bob Gillis isn't out for the season.

Don't know what to think of Bellville (help us out Brahma fans) but I do know they will remember last year and will be playing at home. I think after opening district with an unexpected loss,they will be like some caged animal come friday night. Will this be ECs first loss to a 3A team not named Stephenville since they dropped down? I'm downright skeeeeered. But then I ain't playin. Gillis and the Birds will find a way.

You, Weebe, and others say that EC is down this down, but that is down from one of the most dominant 3A teams last year, and before that, the Ricebirds seemed a pretty consistent 4A playoff team, maybe going a 2-3 rounds some years with very low 4A enrollment numbers......so maybe your perception of down is different than what we might consider down. How do you think the 2013 Ricebirds compare to those decent 4A playoff teams they fielded over the last 5 years?

Weebe
09-30-2013, 07:55 AM
I think they are still down quite a bit from those 4a teams. Remember, those 4a teams were eliminated from the playoffs by La Marque and Manvel. Teams that made runs to state championships.

I think EC makes the playoffs this year and could even advance as far as the 3rd round if they get a favorable draw. I just don't think they are one of the elites in Region IV.

Dogs_21
09-30-2013, 09:19 AM
The year before they came to 3A I seen them play Manvel in the playoffs and that El Campo team was only probably as good as this years team and they lost only because of a fumble on the 1 yard line and Manvel went to state that year. El Campo will have a strong traditionally team year in and out and they will still do good in Region 4. Their kids are tough and they play hard always no matter what. I Just dont see South Texas teams beating them thats only my opinion though.

whitelightning5
09-30-2013, 09:54 AM
From the games that I've seen this year, I've not been that impressed with Bellville. EC is always tough. Anything can happen on any given night, but it will take a few breaks for us to pull out a W. Maybe we are due, given that most of those breaks went against us at Columbus.

OLE'BULL
09-30-2013, 10:01 AM
From the games that I've seen this year, I've not been that impressed with Bellville. EC is always tough. Anything can happen on any given night, but it will take a few breaks for us to pull out a W. Maybe we are due, given that most of those breaks went against us at Columbus.

What games have you seen?

whitelightning5
09-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Caldwell, Kinkaid and Columbus. Maybe my expectations are just too high. At this point, me not being impressed is coming from the QB play. I guess the loss of Fuchs hurts in more ways than one. He was able to run. He could eat up yards and couldnt be stopped on short yardage. It wasnt until mid-season that we saw him being able to throw, but he could hit some short, intermediate and long throws when needed. Most of all, I miss his ability to KICK. Extra points should be a gimme at this level. I knows its early, but all 3 of these have been missed thus far. If its not Nunn or Parker, its nothing. I know this is a run based offense, but the QB play is very important. I just remember that the team last year didnt hit its stride until Fuchs settled in. When he started clicking (Sealy week), we were a very difficult team to defend. Also, any ideas when the Allen will be back?

OLE'BULL
09-30-2013, 11:20 AM
Caldwell, Kinkaid and Columbus. Maybe my expectations are just too high. At this point, me not being impressed is coming from the QB play. I guess the loss of Fuchs hurts in more ways than one. He was able to run. He could eat up yards and couldnt be stopped on short yardage. It wasnt until mid-season that we saw him being able to throw, but he could hit some short, intermediate and long throws when needed. Most of all, I miss his ability to KICK. Extra points should be a gimme at this level. I knows its early, but all 3 of these have been missed thus far. If its not Nunn or Parker, its nothing. I know this is a run based offense, but the QB play is very important. I just remember that the team last year didnt hit its stride until Fuchs settled in. When he started clicking (Sealy week), we were a very difficult team to defend. Also, any ideas when the Allen will be back?

Well we were pretty salty against Caldwell. Kinkaid is a VERY strong private school team, played for a SC last year. We took them to OT and it shouldn't have even gone that far. Missed extra point cost us that game. Coulumbus, we were unimpressive on D, but we were still able to score and Nunn had another great night. QB Situation- I haven't given up on him yet. Just like you said, Fuchs didnt come in to his own until week 10 vs. Sealy. We dont have that luxury this year. We are now in a fight to even make the playoffs. I am confident we will, but we can't have another slip up. No idea on Allen. He was not 100% but still managed 2 TD's. Its unfortunate that we even had to use him. I doubt he will be 100% for El Campo either. I hope this isn't going to linger all season. We are off after EC, so that should give him time to heal.

whitelightning5
09-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Well we were pretty salty against Caldwell. Kinkaid is a VERY strong private school team, played for a SC last year. We took them to OT and it shouldn't have even gone that far. Missed extra point cost us that game. Coulumbus, we were unimpressive on D, but we were still able to score and Nunn had another great night. QB Situation- I haven't given up on him yet. Just like you said, Fuchs didnt come in to his own until week 10 vs. Sealy. We dont have that luxury this year. We are now in a fight to even make the playoffs. I am confident we will, but we can't have another slip up. No idea on Allen. He was not 100% but still managed 2 TD's. Its unfortunate that we even had to use him. I doubt he will be 100% for El Campo either. I hope this isn't going to linger all season. We are off after EC, so that should give him time to heal.

Given how bad Caldwell is, I wouldn't expect anything, but a big victory. With Kinkaid.....spread offenses are always hard to defend. You're right....if the kicker had made 1 of the 2 missed extra points, there is no OT and we get a victory over a very solid team. This past loss reminded me of my days as a Brahma. We looked past Columbus too and ended up losing. They were the better team on that night, but we too kept shooting ourselves in the foot.

SHSBulldog00
09-30-2013, 11:56 AM
Having not seen EC and losing to Bellville, it does make it a difficult choice but with Bellville losing to Columbus I will go with EC this week.

whitelightning5
09-30-2013, 02:09 PM
Can anyone give us an idea of which players to watch for EC? I know you guys lost some talent last year, but tell us about your offense and defense.

speedbump
09-30-2013, 03:49 PM
You, Weebe, and others say that EC is down this down, but that is down from one of the most dominant 3A teams last year, and before that, the Ricebirds seemed a pretty consistent 4A playoff team, maybe going a 2-3 rounds some years with very low 4A enrollment numbers......so maybe your perception of down is different than what we might consider down. How do you think the 2013 Ricebirds compare to those decent 4A playoff teams they fielded over the last 5 years?

How down we are is a tough one to answer. You're right about the difference in perception. In my opinion this team would lose to every Ricebird team since 2007 and if we were still in 23 4A I'd say the chances of making the playoffs would be almost zero. The problem for me is, I don't know how that translates into 3A after the run we had in our only year at this level. I have every confidence that we will make the playoffs. That's never been a question for me,but how far we can go is the question. There is talent on this team but the inexperience of the offensive line has been glaring to put it mildly.

No matter what happens Friday the Brahmas will make the playoffs. I think they will take care of Royal and Needville OK and Wharton should be a cake walk. Why? Because like last year we will send them to you a battered and beaten team and if by chance they beat us, a week later the Tigers will still be riding in them convertibles and the parade in Wharton will be in it's 163rd lap around the court house.

Manso/V8
09-30-2013, 04:35 PM
My impression of EC last year was that you were well coached, fundamentally strong, a very smart QB, hard running backs, solid linebacker core, and a bigger/stronger/better OL&DL than we typically see in 3A. We may

Manso/V8
09-30-2013, 11:28 PM
My impression of EC last year was that you were well coached, fundamentally strong, a very smart QB, hard running backs, solid linebacker core, and a bigger/stronger/better OL&DL than we typically see in 3A. We may

I had more to say, but evidently it didn't work from my phone......EC may be down, but the kids have come up through a good program in a football town, and you have about 50% more kids to pull from....probably a big difference from 4A where you were playing with low numbers compared to other schools.

I haven't made all the games due to work travel, so I am not yet convinced either way on the Brahmas. Comparing last year to this year........We definitely have some good skill players on offense, but we lost some size and strength on the OL compared to last year. That hasn't seemed to reduce offensive production though. We had a shutdown CB last year that essentially cut the field in half for the rest of the secondary and he alone was worth 7-14 points per game......you didn't get to see him, he was only in for 1 or 2 plays before a bad ankle sprain against the Ricebirds last year. We still have some good kids in the secondary, just not the same type of higher level athlete that makes the other players jobs a little easier. Talent is one thing, but coming together as a team is another. You need that to happen to avoid the big egg like we saw in Columbus. It will be interesting to see who emerges as a team leader as the season progresses.

I think we came in to the EC game last year with 2 losses as well.....except this year one of those losses is a district game. If we wasn't for the loss to Columbus, I would be saying we are farther along this year than we were last year. I do think the upside potential of the Brahmas was better the last couple of years compared to the this year. I hope I am wrong!

So, all this was a roundabout way of saying, this game needs to be played, but I will be a homer and say.......
Brahmas by 7.

Manso/V8
09-30-2013, 11:29 PM
If y'all make it to the game, get a sausage wrap from the concession stand.

WhartonTigers
10-01-2013, 08:14 AM
How down we are is a tough one to answer. You're right about the difference in perception. In my opinion this team would lose to every Ricebird team since 2007 and if we were still in 23 4A I'd say the chances of making the playoffs would be almost zero. The problem for me is, I don't know how that translates into 3A after the run we had in our only year at this level. I have every confidence that we will make the playoffs. That's never been a question for me,but how far we can go is the question. There is talent on this team but the inexperience of the offensive line has been glaring to put it mildly.

No matter what happens Friday the Brahmas will make the playoffs. I think they will take care of Royal and Needville OK and Wharton should be a cake walk. Why? Because like last year we will send them to you a battered and beaten team and if by chance they beat us, a week later the Tigers will still be riding in them convertibles and the parade in Wharton will be in it's 163rd lap around the court house.

Clearly you havent seen Wharton play... Get past Bellville and then worry about us.

Pudlugger
10-01-2013, 08:45 AM
The leps are off this week so I'm thinking I'll make this game. I'll sit on the EC side to get a better seat.

speedbump
10-01-2013, 03:20 PM
The leps are off this week so I'm thinking I'll make this game. I'll sit on the EC side to get a better seat.

You got somethin against the seats on Bellvilles side?

whitelightning5
10-01-2013, 03:52 PM

Yeah....thems fightin' words.

Scoop27
10-02-2013, 07:43 AM
http://www.leader-news.com/sports/article_8ce0f9c0-2ae6-11e3-9f31-001a4bcf887a.html

Pudlugger
10-02-2013, 08:41 AM

Not at all. I just think it is going to be packed and the home team should have priority. Also there is no reserve seating on the visitor's side so if I arrive early I have a chance of getting a good seat around the 50 yardline. Also the guest parking is convenient in BV.

BB BULLS
10-02-2013, 09:40 AM
I had more to say, but evidently it didn't work from my phone......EC may be down, but the kids have come up through a good program in a football town, and you have about 50% more kids to pull from....probably a big difference from 4A where you were playing with low numbers compared to other schools.

I haven't made all the games due to work travel, so I am not yet convinced either way on the Brahmas. Comparing last year to this year........We definitely have some good skill players on offense, but we lost some size and strength on the OL compared to last year. That hasn't seemed to reduce offensive production though. We had a shutdown CB last year that essentially cut the field in half for the rest of the secondary and he alone was worth 7-14 points per game......you didn't get to see him, he was only in for 1 or 2 plays before a bad ankle sprain against the Ricebirds last year. We still have some good kids in the secondary, just not the same type of higher level athlete that makes the other players jobs a little easier. Talent is one thing, but coming together as a team is another. You need that to happen to avoid the big egg like we saw in Columbus. It will be interesting to see who emerges as a team leader as the season progresses.

I think we came in to the EC game last year with 2 losses as well.....except this year one of those losses is a district game. If we wasn't for the loss to Columbus, I would be saying we are farther along this year than we were last year. I do think the upside potential of the Brahmas was better the last couple of years compared to the this year. I hope I am wrong!

So, all this was a roundabout way of saying, this game needs to be played, but I will be a homer and say.......
Brahmas by 7.

i agree Brahmas by 7, did some checking on the secondary we have Edmonds & Ward back there from last year. i think these two will step up big as the year goes along.
they both played very well last year late in the season and thru the playoffs. i just think the secondary is still working out all the kinks and will get it figured out and be solid for us

whitelightning5
10-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Can anyone give us an idea of what EC has? I know some feel that the talent level is down, but historically that lower talent level has been better than most. Still a disciplined, run-based team? What is in store for the Brahmas?

The Bull #40
10-02-2013, 12:17 PM
I can't wait for this one Friday night! I think last week we tried looking past columbus to EC and played down to their level which ended up getting us beat. However, I also think that was the worst I've seen Bellville play since Rowe arrived. I heard he had the Brahmas working hard this week to fix for the physical and mental miscues from last week. I think this will be the game of the week in 3A and the determining factor will be turnovers. I would also like to see some improvement on Bellville's special teams as they have been the weak link for our team most of the season.

Manso/V8
10-02-2013, 01:22 PM
I can't wait for this one Friday night! I think last week we tried looking past columbus to EC and played down to their level which ended up getting us beat. However, I also think that was the worst I've seen Bellville play since Rowe arrived. I heard he had the Brahmas working hard this week to fix for the physical and mental miscues from last week. I think this will be the game of the week in 3A and the determining factor will be turnovers. I would also like to see some improvement on Bellville's special teams as they have been the weak link for our team most of the season.

Special teams.........we forget how nice it was to have a money place kicker who made just about every attempt and often put it out the back of the endzone last year.

whitelightning5
10-02-2013, 01:50 PM
Special teams.........we forget how nice it was to have a money place kicker who made just about every attempt and often put it out the back of the endzone last year.

You're right. The difference is night and day. I hold my breathe every extra point.

speedbump
10-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Not at all. I just think it is going to be packed and the home team should have priority. Also there is no reserve seating on the visitor's side so if I arrive early I have a chance of getting a good seat around the 50 yardline. Also the guest parking is convenient in BV.

If you "arrive early" that will get you a good place to stand. REAL early will get you a place to sit. (maybe) The place only hold 2400. EC may well bring that themselves. As for guest parking it's about 100 yards if you are the first one there. Still I suppose it beats the heck out of Sealys situation.

Pudlugger
10-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Yes I expect the place will be packed. If the Visitor side looks full at 7 I'll squeeze in the Home side. As for Sealy I have to agree. No visitor parking lot just off the street. Not as bad as Smithville though.

speedbump
10-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Can anyone give us an idea of what EC has? I know some feel that the talent level is down, but historically that lower talent level has been better than most. Still a disciplined, run-based team? What is in store for the Brahmas?

What's in store is run, run, run until you start to slow us down. It's a typical Gillis team. I think they have worked in a little more with the passing game lately because with our O line this year,that slow down comes pretty quickly. We are 3-0 because our defense and very good special teams play constantly give the offense a short field. Three weeks without seeing game speed worries me. If the Birds can keep it close until they adjust,it may be time for the Brahma fans to worry. This game shapes up to be a real nail biter. (Now that I said that,somebody will win by 40)

speedbump
10-02-2013, 03:49 PM

I thought that the minute I saw the score. I'd say the reason it was the worst they have played is because of that very thing. When the majority of the guys can't get their heads right it makes every part of the team look awful. If the Ricebirds are expecting that kind of play from the Brahmas this week, they might as well stay home.

Manso/V8
10-02-2013, 06:33 PM
If you "arrive early" that will get you a good place to stand. REAL early will get you a place to sit. (maybe) The place only hold 2400. EC may well bring that themselves. As for guest parking it's about 100 yards if you are the first one there. Still I suppose it beats the heck out of Sealys situation.

Get a sausage wrap early, sometimes they sell out at half time.

Manso/V8
10-02-2013, 06:38 PM
Yes I expect the place will be packed. If the Visitor side looks full at 7 I'll squeeze in the Home side. As for Sealy I have to agree. No visitor parking lot just off the street. Not as bad as Smithville though.

They paved the home side parking lot several years back.........it's fancy.

zebrablue2
10-02-2013, 07:42 PM
Row will have the kids ready this week, and will work the stripes, Bulls by 7... Pretty well a must win..............

Weebe
10-02-2013, 10:20 PM
We are 3-0 because our defense and very good special teams play constantly give the offense a short field.

Our 1st 3 opponents have yet to win a game. That's also a large part of why we are 3-0.

speedbump
10-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Our 1st 3 opponents have yet to win a game. That's also a large part of why we are 3-0.

Waller has a win. They beat Willis by a score almost the same as Navasota - Willis. LOL Course that means nothing,but I think you get a better test from 3-7 4A teams than you do 7-3 2A teams.

Weebe
10-02-2013, 11:16 PM
Agree

OLE'BULL
10-03-2013, 07:59 AM

That was my thoughts. EC's opponents are not the toughest.

speedbump
10-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Get a sausage wrap early, sometimes they sell out at half time.

Why do I get the feeling there are enough to go around when you aren't there?

Manso/V8
10-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Why do I get the feeling there are enough to go around when you aren't there?

Touche' or LOL!
You may have an overactive imagination.
My comment wsa driven by the stature of Ricebird fans at EC last year, we are expecting a big crowd in more ways than one.
I just want you to enjoy your experience a the Pasture of Pain..........but not the outcome!
Even with a loss, you can think "that was a dern good sausage wrap", at least.

Scoop27
10-03-2013, 10:22 PM
http://lonestargridiron.com/2013/10/01/game-of-the-week-wk-5-2013-18-3a-el-campo-ricebirds-3-0-20-3a-bellville-brahmas-3-2/

whitelightning5
10-04-2013, 09:20 AM
http://lonestargridiron.com/2013/10/01/game-of-the-week-wk-5-2013-18-3a-el-campo-ricebirds-3-0-20-3a-bellville-brahmas-3-2/

WOW....nice to see the Brahmas getting a little respect against EC. Especially after that stinker last week. Seems pretty torn with the predictions here and those shown in that article. Here's to hoping that the Brahmas pull their heads out of their hineys and play some ball this week. Just hope this doesn't come down to a missed extra point or field goal. After the first miss, I may try to suit up and see if I can show them a thing or 2. Save me a sausage wrap. I may be a little late to this one, but better late than never.

BB BULLS
10-04-2013, 09:59 AM
WOW....nice to see the Brahmas getting a little respect against EC. Especially after that stinker last week. Seems pretty torn with the predictions here and those shown in that article. Here's to hoping that the Brahmas pull their heads out of their hineys and play some ball this week. Just hope this doesn't come down to a missed extra point or field goal. After the first miss, I may try to suit up and see if I can show them a thing or 2. Save me a sausage wrap. I may be a little late to this one, but better late than never.

i agree, they have done better with field goals as of late. lets hope we just have a good clean game and no one gets hurt. (LETS GO BULLS PULL EM ON AND TIGHTEN EM DOWN ITS GAME DAY). BULLS 27 BIRDS 21

The Bull #40
10-04-2013, 10:55 AM
GAMEDAY finally! I think the Brahmas will be fired up after that bitter loss to Columbus and I don't think Rowe will let the team fall to 0-2 in district. I see Bronson Allen having a big role in tonights game (in addition to Nunn of course). Also I wouldn't be surprised to see a few starters replaced on defense after the poor display of tackling last week, and maybe a new offensive lineman for the guy who threw the punch and killed our chances of coming back last week( I'd bench his a** this game). Either way the BULLS WIN at The Pasture 35-28

Red Bull
10-04-2013, 11:33 AM
This is a hard one to predict. I think the Bulls last week got caught looking ahead a little and did not play their best vs Columbus. They will come out and get after EC tonight, but who knows exactly how good the Ricebirds are at this point in the season. IMO tonight's game goes a long way to defining both teams season. I pick Bellville in a tight one 28-27.

Scoop27
10-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Fans can also catch the game on AM 1390 out of El Campo

Spanish Camp
10-04-2013, 10:28 PM
Birds lose this one 24-21. EC fumbles 9 times. That's right, 9 times. I have never seen a game like it.

Thought Bellville played well. Birds killed themselves at every turn.

BB BULLS
10-04-2013, 11:07 PM
Birds lose this one 24-21. EC fumbles 9 times. That's right, 9 times. I have never seen a game like it.

Thought Bellville played well. Birds killed themselves at every turn.

I think the Bellville Defense had a lot to do with most of the fumbles not all of them. the defense came to play and it showed. the game should have not been this close Bellville had turn overs as well one was returned for td. how about our kicker way go young man

bird_fan
10-04-2013, 11:12 PM
I think Its was bit of both a friend who was at the game told me thye Bird were not firing off the ball like they usually are but thew Bellville defense was playing very well. got to hand it toBellville

Spanish Camp
10-04-2013, 11:55 PM
If I told you that Team X would fumble 9 times vs. Team Y and then let you pick a pont spread, how many of you would pick 3?

Bellville played well. Congrats on the well deserved win. Definitly had a more deserving performance tonight.

OLE'BULL
10-05-2013, 12:00 AM
If I told you that Team X would fumble 9 times vs. Team Y and then let you pick a pont spread, how many of you would pick 3?

Bellville played well. Congrats on the well deserved win. Definitly had a more deserving performance tonight.

Did Bellville recover 9 fumbles? No. Both teams did a terrible job of protecting the football.

Manso/V8
10-05-2013, 01:17 AM
The D25 standings race will be interesting. It is possible that Bellville and El Campo both go in the to the D1 bracket this year. I guess with the realignment in to D1 and D2 next year, Bellville and EC probably won't play each other in district and or playoffs again for a while. Maybe they can schedule some non-district games.

Pudlugger
10-05-2013, 06:55 AM
Well I'm glad i traveled down Hwy 159 to watch this game and meet some real nice folks from El Campo. The game was, well for want of a better word, a little sloppy and uneven. It was uneven not in one team being so much better than the other but uneven in the intensity and momentum shifting. At certain points in the game both teams seemed determined to find a way to lose but El Campo came out on top of that battle by fumbling 6 times(? I lost count really). The final fumble at Bellville's 30 with 4:30 or so left in the game, driving down on a solid performance by #34 Flagg (sp?) looked like the Ricebirds would tie it up at 21 all. Then that old man Fumblelitis showed up and pretty much ruined any chance of a come from behind win for the Ricebirds. The Brahmas,as they did pretty much all evening, took full advantage of the fumble and, with a perfectly placed 35 yard FG put the game out of reach 24-14. The momentum shifts were giving everyone on the visitor's side emotional whiplash all night. When Bellvile looked like they were on the verge of burying the Ricebirds with a 14-0 lead at the start of the 2nd quarter they threw an interception at mid field resulting in a sweet pick 6 for the Ricebirds. Now with the score 14-7 it looked like the Birds were coming back to play. Latter in the 4th, down 21-14, the Ricebirds held Bellville to 3 and out and the momentun was definetly with EC. However, the turnovers and the Bellville offense surging back at key points in the game, mostly on the outstanding running of #22 Nunn, wrecked havoc and kept EC at arms length all night. Just when you though EC would pull it out they would lose their momentun on a turnover. Bellville's defense was very good at making these breaks with some good old hard hitting, but also, stripping of the football from the ball carrier (they must practice that). My impression was that Bellville played the better game and made fewer errors, especially when it counted most to deserve the win. D25 may quite likely not yield an undefeated DC. Good luck to both teams going forward.

Spanish Camp
10-05-2013, 10:20 AM
I agree with Pud's summary. The birds put the ball on re ground 9 times.

Bull- not trying to pick a fight. But just trying to talk generally accepted football talking points. If I told you that El Campo would forfeit 15-20% of their offensive snaps to chasing the ball on the ground or turning the ball over, would anyone predict a point spread of 3?

speedbump
10-05-2013, 11:09 AM
I agree with Pud's summary. The birds put the ball on re ground 9 times.

Bull- not trying to pick a fight. But just trying to talk generally accepted football talking points. If I told you that El Campo would forfeit 15-20% of their offensive snaps to chasing the ball on the ground or turning the ball over, would anyone predict a point spread of 3?

The question now is,will Gillis finally make the change at QB. If he does they will very hard to beat come playoff time.

whitelightning5
10-05-2013, 01:01 PM
The question now is,will Gillis finally make the change at QB. If he does they will very hard to beat come playoff time.

I know it seemed much worse than it really was, but at the end of the night Bellville lead the turnover battle by only 2 (5 fumbles recovered by Bellville vs. 2 INTs and 1 fumble recovered by EC). While most believe that that these turnovers should have led to more points or a bigger spread, it was just a sloppy game on both sides. I mean there were 2 times that Bellville broke big plays that ended inside the 5 yd. line, only to be called back by holding. That would have made those margains a little different. We can shoulda, woulda, coulda all day long.

I think that the QB play did hurt a little (14% completion), but that shouldnt be the focus. At least he didnt turn the ball over. You arent a passing team, so to expect a QB leading a running attack to take over a game is a bit much to ask.

From the outside, it just looked like EC came out flat. Its not like the Ricebirds to give up almost 360 yds of offense and allow 234 yards rushing right (188 right up the gut).

Pudlugger
10-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Good analysis WhiteLigtening. Sloopy play on both teams and not much flash by either offense. Surprised in that it is now well into the season to see so many errors and penalties. Perhaps the 3 week layoff hurt the Ricebirds but also they didn't seem mentally prepared for a tough opponent like Bellville. Bellville's strength of schedule probably was the difference in that they made fewer costly errors and kept a relative steady tempo throughout the game while EC struggled to get into the groove until late in the 4th on their final scoring drive.

The Bull #40
10-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Congrats to the Brahmas on the win, and to El Campo for another classy matchup. Yall definitely weren't the powerhouse of last year but that's what happens when you lose guys to the NCAA. I thought special teams would be the deciding factor because I thought both teams would play tough mistake free football. I don't think anyone could have predicted the running game of EC to fumble 8 times or the Brahmas to throw 2 INTs (not because we have an awesome QB, just because we don't throw much). Overall, good win for the Brahmas to bring us back into contention for the DC IMO. However, I wouldn't put it past Columbus to give a run for the DC after starting district 2-0, they are definitely the darkhorse this year. I still have to go with the Brahmas winning the district though. This was a good, fun game to watch.

MJMbrahmas10
10-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Nice seein you at the game #40. Great win for the bulls.

speedbump
10-05-2013, 03:06 PM
I think that the QB play did hurt a little (14% completion), but that shouldnt be the focus. At least he didnt turn the ball over. You arent a passing team, so to expect a QB leading a running attack to take over a game is a bit much to ask. .

There is a whole lot more to quarterbacking than passing the ball. All in all I'd say this loss and the way it all played out may have done more for the Birds than their three wins. As a matter of fact,I'm sure of it. Good luck to the Brahmas the rest of the way. I'd say you guys will win D-26 if you don't fall asleep like you did against Columbus.

The Bull #40
10-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Nice seein you at the game #40. Great win for the bulls.

Indeed, it was good catching up

whitelightning5
10-05-2013, 08:14 PM
There is a whole lot more to quarterbacking than passing the ball. All in all I'd say this loss and the way it all played out may have done more for the Birds than their three wins. As a matter of fact,I'm sure of it. Good luck to the Brahmas the rest of the way. I'd say you guys will win D-26 if you don't fall asleep like you did against Columbus.

HA. I'd say that you're on to something there. As an ex-QB, I know there is more to it than that. You have to make sure everyone is lined up correctly. Make sure you have the best play called against their defensive alignment, and then execute. That said, on running teams, you rarely have more than 2 plays to audible out of at a time. The QBs role is very diminished on a running team....unless you're read option or true option.

There were some botched exchanges between QB and RB, but which party do you put the blame on. I cant remember how many of them actually resulted in a turnover. For the most part, it was the RB coughing the ball up. I would put most of that on the 2 week layoff.

All I'm saying is that a few more changes needed to be made than the QB. I'm sure Gillis will make them during the week.

Scoop27
10-05-2013, 11:41 PM
I listened to the final few minutes of the game on KULP radio station. A lot of complaining comments on officiating

Weebe
10-06-2013, 12:39 AM
I listened to the final few minutes of the game on KULP radio station. A lot of complaining comments on officiating

I wasn't there, but hard to blame anyone but yourself when you fumble 9 times.

Manso/V8
10-08-2013, 12:37 PM
All in all I'd say this loss and the way it all played out may have done more for the Birds than their three wins. As a matter of fact,I'm sure of it. Good luck to the Brahmas the rest of the way. I'd say you guys will win D-26 if you don't fall asleep like you did against Columbus.

I was impressed with how El Campo's play/intensity elevated after half time. I think that will carry forward well for the Ricebirds.
Assuming EC and Bellville both make the playoffs, it looks like Bellville will go in to the D1 bracket unless Needville or Sealy can best Wharton or Columbus.
It would be awesome to have a rematch in the Region iV finals.

Pudlugger
10-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Lg will go D1 most likely along with Gonzales. Could be a rematch with El Campo in the making which suits me just fine. Bellville would be good as well.

D26 likely top 4:

La Grange D1
Gonzales D1
Cuero D2
Yoakum D2/Giddings D1

If Giddings gets in and LG makes it in LG would go D2. If Yoakum gets in and Giddings does not LG goes D1

enrollment order: Gonzales; Giddings; La Grange; Cuero; Smithville; Yoakum

WhartonTigers
10-08-2013, 01:42 PM
I was impressed with how El Campo's play/intensity elevated after half time. I think that will carry forward well for the Ricebirds.
Assuming EC and Bellville both make the playoffs, it looks like Bellville will go in to the D1 bracket unless Needville or Sealy can best Wharton or Columbus.
It would be awesome to have a rematch in the Region iV finals.

Columbus will easily beat needville and sealy... do you know how many people Columbus has enrolled?

OLE'BULL
10-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Columbus will easily beat needville and sealy... do you know how many people Columbus has enrolled?

I honestly think Sealy vs. Columbus will be closer than we all think. I am still not convinced with C-town. I am also not sure on Wharton, Bellville, El Campo, or Sealy for that matter. I would say Sealy is PROBABLY the weakest of those teams, but I also dont think Columbus is the strongest. We will know alot more about Wharton and Columbus after their matchup this week.

MJMbrahmas10
10-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Is Bellville off this week?

Manso/V8
10-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Is Bellville off this week?
Bellville is off this week, Austin County Fair week too.
Next game @ Royal on the 18th.

Manso/V8
10-08-2013, 06:53 PM

Pulled this off another forum, so not official, but I think this is right.

District 25

El Campo 975
Needville 799
Sealy 772
Bellville 665
Wharton 608
Columbus 574
Royal 514

Unless enrollments change significantly on snapshot day, it looks like Bellville, Wharton, Columbus, and Royal will all be in 4A D2 next year if the predicted cutoff is correct.
I saw the following predicted numbers on another thread.
4A, D-I 730-1199 - estimated at 105 teams
4A, D-II 450-729 - estimated at 106 teams