PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Jones starting QB for Texas State

Manso/V8
09-29-2013, 02:13 AM
Read on twitter that Tyler Jones got the start in the Bobcats 42-21 win over Wyoming.

jason
09-29-2013, 09:20 AM
http://www.txstatebobcats.com/news/2013/9/29/FB_0929135227.aspx?path=football

defense51
09-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Read on twitter that Tyler Jones got the start in the Bobcats 42-21 win over Wyoming.

That's good stuff! :2thumbsup

regaleagle
09-29-2013, 01:15 PM
That's my alma mater. Got a good coach and a good qb now. Look out for these Bobcats now. They are building a program at San Marcos and have the location and drawing card to do it.

Spanish Camp
09-29-2013, 06:48 PM
Tyler Jones is a quality player. Is the s'ville reciever seeing the field? (we dont speak his name in El Campo..gives us nightmares!)

hollywood
09-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Tyler Jones is a quality player. Is the s'ville reciever seeing the field? (we dont speak his name in El Campo..gives us nightmares!)

You mean Bryce Gunter??? Say it again... Bruce Gunter? ;)

I haven't heard. I heard T Jones was going to be red shirted and B Gunter would see the field. But this was a surprise for me to see T Jones starting this past week. Good stuff.

cl1481
09-29-2013, 08:26 PM
I'm a Texas State season ticket holder and the fan base is excited about the Tyler Jones era. I Only got to see it live for a little over a quarter because of the 3 1/2 hour rain/lightning delay, but left impressed. Brice Gunter has seen the field but it has been late in the game. Texas State does have a lot of young talent and should compete in the Sun Belt.

toddg
09-29-2013, 09:02 PM
Tyler Jones is greatness.. I knew he would show it sooner, rather than later for the Bobcats!!!

Old Tiger
09-29-2013, 09:22 PM
I am really surprised I haven't seen Bryce Gunter's name in the stat box.

Manso/V8
09-29-2013, 10:42 PM
I read something about the team rallying behind Jones as a natural leader.
Pretty impressive for a freshman, especially a QB, to learn a college system and earn the respect of his teammates that quickly.
What kind of offense does Texas State run?

Tejastrue
09-29-2013, 10:55 PM
This game was on the Longhorn Network. LOL. They kept the coverage going in spite of the delay. Stayed up late to watch. Coach Fran has something special going on here in San Marcos. Got win 200 of his career with this game. Bobcats are a fun team to watch!

Old Tiger
09-29-2013, 11:18 PM
Pretty impressive for a freshman, especially a QB, to learn a college system and earn the respect of his teammates that quickly.

My guess would be something similar to what Fran was running at A&M but a little more passing.

Tyler Jones is now above another former 3a QB on the depth chart there.

Ville-D
09-30-2013, 08:32 AM
You mean Bryce Gunter??? Say it again... Bruce Gunter? ;)

I haven't heard. I heard T Jones was going to be red shirted and B Gunter would see the field. But this was a surprise for me to see T Jones starting this past week. Good stuff.

I heard the Friday before the TTech that whole incoming FR class was going to be Red Shirted, then Jones got the start against Wyoming. I believe the TTech game was the last game before the players had to be declared a RS or not. I am pretty sure that if Gunter didn't play in the Wyoming game that he will be RS'ed.

After the TT game Fran decided he needed a change. Here is the article that was in the SM paper:

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/content/college-football-jones-all-set-shine

Jones is all set to shine

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/article_photo/Tyler%20Jones%20Wyoming%202.jpg
Texas State freshman quarterback Tyler Jones runs for a long gain during Saturday's game against Wyoming (Photo by Steven P. Kenney).

By
Tyler Mayforth — Sports Editor

Whether it was fate or serendipity, Texas State head coach Dennis Franchione and true freshman Tyler Jones stood next to each other late in the fourth quarter of last Saturday’s game at Texas Tech.

By that time, the Bobcats were well on their way to a 33-7 loss and the offense struggled once again. Texas State turned the ball over three times in the course of 16 plays between the first and second quarter, and punted eight times against the Red Raiders, which brought its season total to 22.

Something had to change soon and Franchione wanted to know if Jones could provide the spark.

“Do you think you can do better,” Franchione asked Jones, who won the Division I, Class 3A state championship last year at Stephenville High.

“I’m not one to brag about myself, but I can show you,” Jones said.

Franchione looked at Jones and told him, while his confidence is great, he’d need to respond in a way that the third-year head coach could relay to his offensive coaching staff that would leave no doubt they’d want to move forward with him in the rotation at quarterback, which burned a possible redshirt.

“Darn betcha I can do better,” Jones said.

While the problems the offense had through three games weren’t directly tied to the performance of senior Tyler Arndt and redshirt freshman Jordan Moore, their inability to manage the first-team unit certainly didn’t help matters.

“I felt if we weren’t productive after three games that we’d turn to him (Jones),” Franchione said Friday night. “We’ve been very open with the quarterbacks about that.”

Then last Sunday, Franchione let Jones run with the first-team offense. Arndt, who fought so hard to start these last three years, accepted the move and went back to second-team reps.

Even though Jones looked solid in a practice contested in helmets and shorts, Franchione wanted to see more out of the Most Valuable Player of the Division I, Class 3A state championship game. Franchione closed practice for the rest of the week and threw just about everything he could at Jones.

“We put pressure on him to make plays,” Franchione said. “We wanted to prepare him for Saturday night if we went that route.”

Once Jones had four practices under his belt and the coaching staff watched enough tape to feel comfortable, Franchione informed the true freshman of his decision.

“I told him after Thursday’s practice he’d be the starting quarterback on Saturday,” Franchione said. “I told him, ‘We wouldn’t put you out there if we didn’t feel confident you could do this.’ Tyler said, ‘I know, Coach. Thank you.’ That was it. He’s a humble, mature kid.”

Then, like he said he would on the sideline in Lubbock, Jones showed Franchione and his coaching staff just how dynamic he could be in his first college start.

Jones led the Bobcats on a seven-play, 66-yard drive on their opening possession that resulted in a 1-yard touchdown run by sophomore running back Robert Lowe. During that drive Jones accounted for 60 yards, of which included a slice-and-dice, 38-yard run through Wyoming’s defense.

It wasn’t all glitz and glamour for Jones, who was a 3-star recruit out of high school. Jones threw an ill-advised pass that was intercepted and two Cowboys crunched him when he tried to run a draw up the middle.

No matter what happened in the game, Franchione wanted to see if Jones could handle it. Jones probably did enough to earn his place in the rotation going forward.

“Maybe he’s our future. Maybe he’s the present. Maybe he’s second team and not the starter,” Franchione said. “We need to find out and the only way to do that was to play him.”

panfan
09-30-2013, 09:21 AM
I was up late and watched some of this. The kid was very good and composed for a freshman.

hollywood
09-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Great article above Ville-D.

Jones has a gift and his humble confidence is contagious. He's what you call a silent leader. He doesn't have to talk his way into that role, he just does it. Very level headed person who doesn't get rattled. Proud for him. Shows how a HS program like Stephenville's and many others can develope players for the next level. QB factory in full effect. ;)

toddg
09-30-2013, 10:30 AM
Great article above Ville-D.

Jones has a gift and his humble confidence is contagious. He's what you call a silent leader. He doesn't have to talk his way into that role, he just does it. Very level headed person who doesn't get rattled. Proud for him. Shows how a HS program like Stephenville's and many others can develope players for the next level. QB factory in full effect. ;)

he is the best zone read QB iv seen since Chase Daniel at Southlake...he sees the field very well, checks off very fast and finds the open guy quick..he is all business out there!

Ville-D
09-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Another good read for Jones fans:

http://texasstatesports.com/2013/09/29/college-football-wrapping-up-texas-states-42-21-win-over-wyoming/

cl1481
09-30-2013, 08:54 PM

Texas State runs the pistol, a lot of zone reads and options, short high % passes which open up shots down field later. I think Jones will flourish in this offense.

As far as freshman redshirting I had not heard anything about the whole class being redshirted. Several freshman had played before the Tech game which burned their shirt including Brice Gunter who had snaps against Prairie View A&M. I think that they may have wanted to hold Jones another year, but Fran believes he gives them the best chance to win over Tyler Arndt (Cuero). Demun Mercer (La Marque) is another 3A freshman on the team, I have not seen him in and is probably redshirting.

Here are some highlights of the game against Wyoming.

http://http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL31DE499F5924B9D4&feature=share&v=FtfLszNQ5U0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DFtfLszNQ5U0%26feature%3 Dshare%26list%3DPL31DE499F5924B9D4 (http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL31DE499F5924B9D4&feature=share&v=FtfLszNQ5U0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DFtfLszNQ5U0%26feature%3 Dshare%26list%3DPL31DE499F5924B9D4)

Ville-D
09-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Texas State runs the pistol, a lot of zone reads and options, short high % passes which open up shots down field later. I think Jones will flourish in this offense.

As far as freshman redshirting I had not heard anything about the whole class being redshirted. Several freshman had played before the Tech game which burned their shirt including Brice Gunter who had snaps against Prairie View A&M. I think that they may have wanted to hold Jones another year, but Fran believes he gives them the best chance to win over Tyler Arndt (Cuero). Demun Mercer (La Marque) is another 3A freshman on the team, I have not seen him in and is probably redshirting.

Here are some highlights of the game against Wyoming.

http://http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL31DE499F5924B9D4&feature=share&v=FtfLszNQ5U0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DFtfLszNQ5U0%26feature%3 Dshare%26list%3DPL31DE499F5924B9D4 (http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL31DE499F5924B9D4&feature=share&v=FtfLszNQ5U0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DFtfLszNQ5U0%26feature%3 Dshare%26list%3DPL31DE499F5924B9D4)

Brice didn't burn his red-shirt by playing the the PV-A&M game... they had until the Wyoming game to decide or be told they were red-shirting (and they could play any games until then). Only those who played in the Wyoming game (or after) are not able to be red-shirted this year.

Great kid and great player. He will go far in football and life. Couldn't happen to a better person. Humble and level headed with a great family. He will make the most of this you can bet on that.

Old Tiger
09-30-2013, 09:27 PM
Brice didn't burn his red-shirt by playing the the PV-A&M game... they had until the Wyoming game to decide or be told they were red-shirting (and they could play any games until then). Only those who played in the Wyoming game (or after) are not able to be red-shirted this year.

I'm pretty sure any snap taken during the regular season automatically burns the red shirt.

Ville-D
09-30-2013, 09:57 PM
I'm pretty sure any snap taken during the regular season automatically burns the red shirt.

You can play in up to 2 non-conf games and still red-shirt. Gunter is red-shirting this year.

>–––\/–––<
Re-Ville-D

Ville-D
09-30-2013, 09:58 PM
Too bad he cannot come back to Stephenville for one more year. He is young enough.

>–––\/–––<
Re-Ville-D

Weebe
09-30-2013, 10:00 PM
You can play in up to 2 non-conf games and still red-shirt. Gunter is red-shirting this year.

>–––\/–––<
Re-Ville-D

You are thinking of a medical redshirt. You lose a regular redshirt with one play.

Ville-D
09-30-2013, 10:06 PM
You are thinking of a medical redshirt. You lose a regular redshirt with one play.

He is red-shirted. Not a medical RS. He was told before the Wyoming game.

If he played in the Wyoming game or after then it is burned.

>–––\/–––<
Re-Ville-D

Weebe
09-30-2013, 10:13 PM
He is red-shirted. Not a medical RS. He was told before the Wyoming game.

If he played in the Wyoming game or after then it is burned.

>–––\/–––<
Re-Ville-D

Whoever told him that is wrong.

Ville-D
09-30-2013, 10:27 PM

I'm sure the compliance office is on top of it.

>–––\/–––<
Re-Ville-D

Weebe
09-30-2013, 10:31 PM
I'm sure the compliance office is on top of it.

>–––\/–––<
Re-Ville-D

Obviously not. Tell him to mention to them that I am available for hire if they need me to interpret NCAA rules.

83Indian
09-30-2013, 10:41 PM
Glad to see jones getting the chance to start. Saw earlier in the year he graded out at the #3 spot in the depth chart. Found that hard to believe. Jones is going to wrack up some numbers before he's done there.

cl1481
09-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Under the NCAA By Laws 14.2.3.1 any competition regardless of time during a season in an intercollegiate sport shall be considered as a season of competition in that sport. You can get a medical hardship if injured within 30% of your teams scheduled competition. Which would have been the Wyoming game.

Old Tiger
09-30-2013, 11:28 PM
So is Bryce injured?

Manso/V8
09-30-2013, 11:42 PM
Under the NCAA By Laws 14.2.3.1 any competition regardless of time during a season in an intercollegiate sport shall be considered as a season of competition in that sport. You can get a medical hardship if injured within 30% of your teams scheduled competition. Which would have been the Wyoming game.

I guess you could fake an injury......

With Texas State heating up and UTSA making strides, there is going to be some cool football in that area.
I think I might try to make the UTSA-TSU game.

cl1481
09-30-2013, 11:42 PM
Saw him in uniform Saturday night and from what I have heard he has been staying after practice helping his roommate Tyler Jones with the playbook by running routes. He is running 2nd team WR.

Old Tiger
09-30-2013, 11:44 PM

The compliance office consults with team doctors. You have to apply for it and if NCAA feels you aren't legitimately injured they do not have to reward the medical redshirt.

cl1481
09-30-2013, 11:45 PM

It is my understanding that the NCAA has cracked down on medical hardships.

regaleagle
10-01-2013, 02:59 AM
My son(ex-UHCoog) and I attended the USTA/UH game on Saturday in the Alamodome. The atmosphere was very upbeat and the attendance at least 25,000+. I was impressed with both teams, and the Cougars are still undefeated(4-0). Basically, they have the makings to maybe get a bowl bid this season(probably). UTSA is not bad....they played the Coogs close for 3 qtrs. There's tons of support at UTSA, and I was impressed. Of course, I'm a Bobcat Alum....so I may hafta go see them in action, also.

D'Highlander
10-01-2013, 06:14 AM
here is another...

http://youtu.be/QaIj72GvxMU

Ville-D
10-01-2013, 07:57 AM

I just confirmed that he is redshirted. This year is the rule is that you can be involved in up to 10 plays and still redshirt. The four plays that he was on the field earlier in the season do not affect him.

It is not a medical redshirt, it is not a hardship redshirt, it is a regular redshirt

>–––\/–––<
Re-Ville-D

Manso/V8
10-01-2013, 08:18 AM
I just confirmed that he is redshirted. This year is the rule is that you can be involved in up to 10 plays and still redshirt. The four plays that he was on the field earlier in the season do not affect him.

It is not a medical redshirt, it is not a hardship redshirt, it is a regular redshirt

>–––\/–––<
Re-Ville-D

Weebe is a lawyer, facts are irrelavant.

Ville-D
10-01-2013, 08:31 AM
Weebe is a lawyer, facts are irrelavant.

Apparently.

He will be traveling with the team and will be available to play. If he plays any going forward then his RS is burned.

>–––\/–––<
Re-Ville-D

Weebe
10-01-2013, 09:47 AM
If the rule has changed, I apologize. Do you have a link to the new rule?

Ville-D
10-01-2013, 10:12 AM
If the rule has changed, I apologize. Do you have a link to the new rule?

I was told it changed this year. I am getting on a plane to Boston. RefereeDoc is going to look it up and try to post it later.

>–––\/–––<
Re-Ville-D

refereedoc
10-01-2013, 02:04 PM

I confirmed this with the Compliance office at Tarleton.
Seasons of Competition – Division I
A student-athlete uses a season of competition for a given academic year as soon as he/she participates in
a competition against an outside team (i.e., any team that includes individuals who are not on the
institution’s team during that academic year). Any competition during a season, regardless of the amount
of time spent, counts as one season of competition in that sport.
It would have had to have been a scrimmage, exhibition, alumni, fund raising or celebrity event before the season begins(1st game) in the initial year of enrollment. 14.2.3.1.3, 14.2.3.1.4
Someone must have gotten the medical hardship rule confused unless our compliance person is missing something.

vtskneb
10-01-2013, 02:13 PM
I guess I am missing the point from the Tarleton Compliance office. Are the games prior to conference considered exhibition/scrimmage? I don't see anything in refereedoc's post that confirms Brice is still eligible to RS. Some of the time they just don't even have you suit up if you are redshirting to avoid a coach from mistakenly putting you in the game but they usually gave the players the option, at least at home games for Tarleton. Obviously, each coach and school do things in their own way.

Manso/V8
10-01-2013, 03:01 PM
The NCAA can be sticklers about some things. Below is a link to a story this summer about a 24 year old marine that enrolled as a freshman. Initially the NCAA ruled him ineligible his first year in college since he had participated in an organized intramural league while in the service.
A couple of days after the story broke they reversed their ruling and declared him eligible.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/23209871/ncaa-rules-force-marine-to-redshirt-over-intramural-games

Rabid Cougar
10-01-2013, 03:12 PM
You play one down at any point in the season, first, third, last game, doesn't matter, you burn the shirt. He can still be redshirted in subsequent years, but this year, he cannot.
Glen Rose's Derek Thompson, who is now QB for UNT, played three (3) downs to close out a game against Miami (OH) his freshman year because the 1st through 3rd team QBs got hurt. He lost the entire year.

hollywood
10-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Is this a new rule? Before, I player could play a certain amount of downs and still retain redshirt status. Just curious. I know there are clauses to the rule.

Rabid Cougar
10-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Is this a new rule? Before, I player could play a certain amount of downs and still retain redshirt status. Just curious. I know there are clauses to the rule.

I am very positive it has been this way for the past five years if not longer. The only "clause" is for a "Medical Redshirt", the player can play up to 30% of the scheduled games. You can only apply for these after the season is completed.

The Gray Shirt is somewhat new. The player can sign a LOI and his "clock" is not started until he becomes a full time student (12 Hours). He can take up to 9 hours of class load and is not considered a full time student. They count against the next class year's 25 scholarships.

Old Tiger
10-01-2013, 08:48 PM

It has been this way for as long as I can remember.

Weebe
10-01-2013, 09:21 PM
It has been this way for as long as I can remember.

Same here. I was surprised that some claimed that it had been changed yet I never heard about it.

vtskneb
10-01-2013, 09:33 PM
I am not saying it didn't but the post from doc, as far as I could tell made it seem like Brice can't redshirt this year. Perhaps I miss read, or the Texas State staff was banking on it not being discussed here. Sure seems odd the information they have given him compared to what has been presented on this thread quoting compliance offices and the NCAA site.

Manso/V8
10-01-2013, 10:25 PM
Participation stats are recorded and published for every college game, from D3/NAIA/NCAAJC/D2/D1AA and D1A. I seriously doubt that Texas State would try to game the system in any way with regard to player participation. It is simply not worth it, especially at the D1 level.

I agree with the idea that maybe we should let Texas State and their student athletes figure it out and discuss it themselves.
My guess is that it is a misunderstanding or miscommunication.

Ville-D
06-07-2014, 11:47 PM
You play one down at any point in the season, first, third, last game, doesn't matter, you burn the shirt. He can still be redshirted in subsequent years, but this year, he cannot.
Glen Rose's Derek Thompson, who is now QB for UNT, played three (3) downs to close out a game against Miami (OH) his freshman year because the 1st through 3rd team QBs got hurt. He lost the entire year.

Old threat, but looking at Texas State roster and as you can see.... Gunter is still a FR and shows to have red shirted last year...

http://www.txstatebobcats.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3892&path=football

hollywood
10-14-2014, 11:39 AM
T. Jones... what's with the stash dude?

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/sites/default/files/field/image/DSC_1402%20for%20web.jpg