hollywood
09-28-2013, 04:42 PM
It was a close game at halftime, 31-28 Ville

Sweetwater Red
09-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Very entertaining game. Stephenville's 1 (obviously), 2 and 13 were
impressive. Amarillo hung with them for the most part but turnovers
did them in (5?)...well that and not being able to cover anyone running
a skinny post or down the seam. Still it was a fun one to watch.

Deuce
09-28-2013, 05:27 PM
Very entertaining game. Stephenville's 1 (obviously), 2 and 13 were
impressive. Amarillo hung with them for the most part but turnovers
did them in (5?)...well that and not being able to cover anyone running
a skinny post or down the seam. Still it was a fun one to watch.

So how do u rate them compared to last years team?

vtskneb
09-28-2013, 05:53 PM
We are closing the gap on offense from last year to this year. We suprisingly have struggled more defensively than I thought we would. Amarillo was much better on offense than last years team.

hollywood
09-30-2013, 02:29 PM
We are closing the gap on offense from last year to this year. We suprisingly have struggled more defensively than I thought we would. Amarillo was much better on offense than last years team.

I agree on both points about the O and D, but with Amarillo being much improved on offense AND Aledo being much much improved, I still can see this years defense being ahead of last years defense at this point in the season.

Txbroadcaster
09-30-2013, 02:34 PM
I agree on both points about the O and D, but with Amarillo being much improved on offense AND Aledo being much much improved, I still can see this years defense being ahead of last years defense at this point in the season.

how is Amarillo much improved? ..they were 3-1 going into game last year...this year 2-2.

Matthew328
09-30-2013, 02:42 PM
Def. dont think Stephenville is better offensively....receivers have a lot of trouble getting seperation....Stidham has a great arm and is crazy athletic but he also has some bad habits that creep up as well (throwing off his back foot) he got bailed out when an Amarillo DB dropped what looked to be a pick six...

The RB is young but talented, but he's just a freshman...when he's more mature some of the tackles that bring him down now will be plays he simply runs through...

I'd be concerned about Stephenville's D esp against the run....

D'Highlander
09-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Def. dont think Stephenville is better offensively....receivers have a lot of trouble getting seperation....Stidham has a great arm and is crazy athletic but he also has some bad habits that creep up as well (throwing off his back foot) he got bailed out when an Amarillo DB dropped what looked to be a pick six...

The RB is young but talented, but he's just a freshman...when he's more mature some of the tackles that bring him down now will be plays he simply runs through...

Truth, as written by Stepp

It's always nice to see something from someone who is objective and not one of the Blue Kool-Aid drinkers...

Matthew328
09-30-2013, 03:01 PM
Truth, as written by Stepp

It's always nice to see something from someone who is objective and not one of the Blue Kool-Aid drinkers...

Carlile is one guy who I do think has ability to seperate....just not sure if Stephenville wants to expose him to 90 plays yet...maybe in the playoffs....

vtskneb
09-30-2013, 03:25 PM
I think Stepp says all things that have been discussed between Stephenville fans. Amarillo is scoring a touchdown more a game this year than they were last year, at this point in the season. Defensively they are obviously down, I think that was Hollywood's point about the offense being better. I don't think other than Graham there is much in 3A D1 R1 and I think Stephenville will matchup fine against someone in the semis. Barring injury, I think Stephenville will be playing in December based on what I have come to expect from 3A competition. They may not win state this year, but I think they will be there towards the end.

refereedoc
09-30-2013, 03:30 PM
I don't understand why they use Carlile in the H (slot) position. IMO he is more suited for the outside X or Z position.The fastest kid we have is used to block down field on runs. I think they under utilize the speed they have by sending them into the flats but what do I know we scored 64 :).

vtskneb
09-30-2013, 03:39 PM
what do I know we scored 64 :).

I think that is an underutilized point in this thread :)

D'Highlander
09-30-2013, 03:43 PM
I don't understand why they use Carlile in the H (slot) position. IMO he is more suited for the outside X or Z position.The fastest kid we have is used to block down field on runs. I think they under utilize the speed they have by sending them into the flats but what do I know we scored 64 :).

Maybe they are saving him for the playoffs like Stepp said (Reminds me of BG last year) And maybe they don't want to show their hand yet.

If Stidham stays healthy there are plenty of players to catch the ball. With the current receivers mixed in with The D. backs Isham, Carlisle, Stevens, Taylor. I wouldn't worry to much about the receivers. Sweet will be back and it will be a challenge for teams to cover them all. Don't forget the freshman Kegan Williams can and will get better and better and better.

Matthew328
09-30-2013, 09:10 PM
Maybe there are...all I can go on is what I saw and the guys they ran out there Sat had trouble getting seperation...that being said Stephenville's schemes are so sound they often times have guys running wide open due to blown coverages and confusing the secondary..

Maybe there are...all I can go on is what I saw and the guys they ran out there Sat had trouble getting seperation...that being said Stephenville's schemes are so sound they often times have guys running wide open due to blown coverages and confusing the secondary..

Yeah I know exactly what you mean and so do the coaches.

Sweetwater Red
10-01-2013, 10:12 AM
So how do u rate them compared to last years team?

I was only there to enjoy the game. I'll let the pros do the analysis. :thumbsup:

I was only there to enjoy the game. I'll let the pros do the analysis. :thumbsup:

Can we score enough points to make up for the run D? So far so good and we have all of district to work on it. The team has done everything possible to this point. Now just keep getting better every week. Glad we have a bye week to let everyone practice and rest and heal up.

Sville
10-01-2013, 10:59 AM
A little stat comparison on how the 2013 team is doing compared to the state champs last year at this same time. They both enter district with a 4-1 record.

(Per game averages)

2013 Offense
218.8 rush
206.8 pass
425.6 total
39.4 points

2012 Offense
161 rush
252.4 pass
413.4 total
33.4 points

2013 Defense
228.4 rush
166.4 pass
394.8 total
33.8 points

2012 Defense
182.6 rush
123.2 pass
305.8 total
19.4 points

hollywood
10-01-2013, 11:15 AM
A little stat comparison on how the 2013 team is doing compared to the state champs last year at this same time. They both enter district with a 4-1 record.

(Per game averages)

2013 Offense
218.8 rush
206.8 pass
425.6 total
39.4 points

2012 Offense
161 rush
252.4 pass
413.4 total
33.4 points

2013 Defense
228.4 rush
166.4 pass
394.8 total
33.8 points

2012 Defense
182.6 rush
123.2 pass
305.8 total
19.4 points

Good work Sville!

I've said it before, this years team is about on par with last years team in terms of production at this point in the season. And that's taking into account the onslot of the Aledo game this year. If you take that game out (Aledo is a freakin' juggernaut this year), the 2013 team is a little ahead.

Going into district, Stephenville will be primed for the playoffs. With Alvarado seeming to be down from their past few seasons, Stephenville shouldn't have any threats in district play and be ready for another deep playoff run starting with the D1 2nd place team out of District 8... whether it's Brownwood, Burnet, Lampasas or whoever. I don't see anyone up to the level of Stephenville in Reg 1 either D1 or D2 at this point... Graham would be the closest.

vtskneb
10-01-2013, 01:49 PM

(Per game averages)

2013 Offense
218.8 rush
206.8 pass
425.6 total
39.4 points

2012 Offense
161 rush
252.4 pass
413.4 total
33.4 points

2013 Defense
228.4 rush
166.4 pass
394.8 total
33.8 points

2012 Defense
182.6 rush
123.2 pass
305.8 total
19.4 points

Points per game given up is alarming. This probably leads to the sense that our offense isn't doing enough. Which it is out pacing last years team. I will say that the last 3 weeks the offense has turned that corner we were all expecting it to. We won't stretch teams vertically quite as much but if you watch the La Vega game we had lots of people running wide open. The question will be what becomes of the defense as we approach the playoffs. This is the unit many believed, myself included would carry us the first half of the season. Things that make you go hmmmmmm

hollywood
10-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Points per game given up is alarming. This probably leads to the sense that our offense isn't doing enough. Which it is out pacing last years team. I will say that the last 3 weeks the offense has turned that corner we were all expecting it to. We won't stretch teams vertically quite as much but if you watch the La Vega game we had lots of people running wide open. The question will be what becomes of the defense as we approach the playoffs. This is the unit many believed, myself included would carry us the first half of the season. Things that make you go hmmmmmm

The Aledo game effected the curve. Take the other 4 games, and the yards per game average is less. But then again, they are making huge strides each week. With the off week being this week and all of next week to get better, Glen Rose, Alvarado, Venus, and Hillsboro all upcoming, stats will improve as well as the team. ;)

vtskneb
10-01-2013, 02:06 PM
The Aledo game effected the curve. Take the other 4 games, and the yards per game average is less. But then again, they are making huge strides each week. With the off week being this week and all of next week to get better, Glen Rose, Alvarado, Venus, and Hillsboro all upcoming, stats will improve as well as the team. ;)

With the Aledo game are 2 touchdowns per game worse in scoring defense. Without we are more than a touchdown worse. I get that skews it some but we are not where I thought we would be defensively. The teams on the horizon will all be imo, less talented the ones we have faced to date. We will see teams of Dillard's talent but more disciplined if we make it to December. We should be much improved at that point.

With the Aledo game are 2 touchdowns per game worse in scoring defense. Without we are more than a touchdown worse. I get that skews it some but we are not where I thought we would be defensively. The teams on the horizon will all be imo, less talented the ones we have faced to date. We will see teams of Dillard's talent but more disciplined if we make it to December. We should be much improved at that point.

This year Glen Rose and Alvarado are not as good as last its not even close. With that said our numbers are going to be much better than last years numbers when it's all done. It's gonna be a blow out each week until deep in the playoffs. Stats will be crazy during district play.

Stephenville's No 1. Biggest problem isn't the receivers the biggest problem is the QB. Tell me what you think will happen if Stidham goes down? Last year that wasn't the issue this year it's a huge issue. We got plenty of receivers. How do you think we would do if that we're to happen? When Washington went down we had Jones. Jones had Stidham for back up. QB depth is our biggest problem I can see. What would happen?

Matthew328
10-06-2013, 10:07 AM
Welcome to the real world...LOL Stephenville has been blessed with uncanny depth at QB

buckeyebob
10-06-2013, 04:27 PM
It was a close game at halftime, 31-28 Ville

and they talk about us running up the score...

buckeyebob
10-06-2013, 04:31 PM

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked002.gif Say in ain't so!! Could East Texas Speed have a chance this year??