PDA

View Full Version : Port Isabel vs. Bandera

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-24-2002, 01:52 PM
This ought to be a good one!!!

I had heard from some Bandera fans that the game is to be played at the Alamodome??? What time? day? I've been trying to verify it with some people down in Port Isabel, but they haven't heard anything yet. If someone could shed light on this, let me know!!!

Since I have seen both teams play this year (I was at the game vs. Rice) i'll throw my two cents in here.

My analysis: After what I saw from Bandera, I think PI has a very good chance of advancing. Bandera wasn't nearly as big as the boys from Arnasas Pass, and not as fast either. There were several plays in the PI/AP game where PI running backs were literally one arm tackle away from breaking long runs. I feel this time vs. Bandera, PI running backs WILL break some long ones. Also, if Port Isabel's "Seawall Defense" was able to withstand the size and strength of Aransas Pass's offensive line, and Tommy Blake, they should be able to withstand Bandera's rushing attack. PI's secondary is a bit taller and more physical than Altair Rice's secondary and won't be burned by Banera's WRs.

Predicted Score Port Isabel 35
Bandera 20

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-24-2002, 02:56 PM
And true to form, Collier-Sharp has Port Isabel a 1 point underdog.

I don't think Data Poll has updated, and I think something is wrong with www.txpowerratings.com (http://www.txpowerratings.com) Is it down??? I won't be surprised if DataPoll has Port Isabel as underdogs too. That's ok, just MORE people for Port Isabel to prove wrong.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-24-2002, 05:12 PM
Finally verified it.

Port Isabel vs. Bandera
Saturday, 2pm in Victoria

Tarpon fans and Bulldog fans are MORE THAN WELCOME TO ADD THEIR COMMENTS TO THE THREAD!

Kool Tarpon 21
11-24-2002, 05:15 PM
The game will be played Saturday, November 30, 2002 at Victoria, TX at 2:00 pm. I am looking forward to playing this game. I love challenges and competition. We're gonna practice extra hard this week to play the game. See you all there. PEACE!!!

sinton66
11-24-2002, 05:37 PM
Missle, you will LOVE the field at Victoria. It is fieldturf, and plays very well even when wet. Good luck guys, I won't have any problem pulling for you this week.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-24-2002, 06:36 PM
Isn't that stuff real slippery???

Or is it like astroturf? Make players run faster?

Kool Tarpon 21
11-24-2002, 07:07 PM
What do you mean it's fieldturf? Is it like artificial turf or what kind of turf is it?

sinton66
11-24-2002, 07:26 PM
Fieldturf is a high-tech synthetic surface that looks, feels, and plays just like real grass, but is in fact artificial. It is not slippery or hard like astroturf. I'm told that in dry weather, you can play in running shoes. You won't get "turf toes" like on astroturf either. Hopefully, your coaches will get you a full practice on it before you play just to get you used to it, but it is a great surface to play on. Speed really works well on this surface.

nfcfan
11-24-2002, 09:40 PM
Should be another good game. :D

Bandera will have the revenge factor go into the game while PI will have the underdog factor go into the game.

PI by 10. eek!

Missle keep up you All-State play. wink

Kakarot
11-25-2002, 12:07 PM
man i just cant wait to play them. We gotta practice hard this week.

BULLDOGFAN
11-25-2002, 01:45 PM
Bandera by 16.....

<small>[ November 25, 2002, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: BULLDOGFAN ]</small>

MightyBlue27
11-25-2002, 05:41 PM
Good Luck Tarpons

<small>[ November 25, 2002, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: MightyBlue27 ]</small>

MightyBlue27
11-25-2002, 05:43 PM
HMMMM.......should be a good game.....I predict Port Isabel by 7.

Good Luck lets keep on proving to the state that we can play!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-25-2002, 07:44 PM
BULLDOGFAN:
Bandera by 16.....Geez Rick, what you smokin??? Didn't anything I talk to you about at the Bandera/Rice game have any meaning whatsoever?

I'll contradict what my dear cousin predicted, and I will predict a 16 point win for Port Isabel. Besides, the Tarpons are going to want the Yoakum Bulldogs in the quarterfinals, it'll be a MAJOR payback game, and they'll do whatever they can to make it happen, and that will be to beat Bandera.

GO BIG BLUE!!!! Beat the Bulldogs!!!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-25-2002, 08:02 PM
Data Poll is updated, and true to it's form, it has Port Isabel an 11 point underdog to Bandera.

To us, that's just ANOTHER person for our boys to prove wrong AGAIN. (He had us underdogs to Aransas Pass)

BULLDOGFAN
11-25-2002, 10:38 PM
Smoking? Geez, Kenny you were pretty proud wearing that BANDERA BULLDOG shirt on Saturday at the Rice game. Guess you need to give it back till the game of December 7, 2002.

BULLDOGFAN
11-25-2002, 10:39 PM
Smoking? Geez, Kenny you were pretty proud wearing that BANDERA BULLDOG shirt on Saturday at the Rice game. Guess you need to give it back till the game of December 7, 2002.

eye of the tiger
11-25-2002, 11:04 PM
Port Isabel by a touchdown. Should be a great game.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-25-2002, 11:10 PM
BULLDOGFAN:
Smoking? Geez, Kenny you were pretty proud wearing that BANDERA BULLDOG shirt on Saturday at the Rice game. Guess you need to give it back till the game of December 7, 2002.Ummmm, no. The shirt I was wearing was the Port Isabel athletic department shirt Aunt Linda gave me several weeks back. You're thinking of that silly lookin' hard hat you were wearing. Sure, I put that on once, and very quickly took it off.

I am 100% Tarpon, and that will NEVER change.

KatPride03
11-25-2002, 11:46 PM
That sounds like the field at Waco ISD. From what I've heard from band all state marchers, they said that when it was wet, it was extremely slippery because you know how the wetness makes the artificial grass kinda even bouncier and feels like a shaggy carpet made of trashbags. BUT when it is super wet and packed down, then it feels like normal turf...but it wouldn't be packed down that much even after 4th quarter- there had been 17 bands before PI and all the bands at state are all over the place etc etc so they got that turf pretty packed down by the time the PI kids got to go on. When they went in 2000, im told that it was just really super super slippery.

BUT--that's from other people when it was raining. When Raymondville went to state in 98, it was freezing but the turf was dry. And I wasn't too fond of the turf.I did both and I know football and marchign are different...but the fundamentals of marching actually help to keep from slipping. If you don't march properly then you have more of a chance to slip...and bands at state...HAVE proper fundamentals but people still fell.

Don't get me wrong, this isnt a band post but I was in a state marching band and have friends that went in two different weather conditions and I played football and so i know how that type of turf is like. but when its wet, it's not like grass or turf. I would have to advise that you be careful on it.
But if you are playing at two in the afternoon, it will probably be dry...just hope that it doesnt rain or else it will be hell to play on. Personally...I'm not too fond of playing on that kind of turf but I played after it had just rained. It's a b!+ch when wet, sorry to contradict whoever said it played well when wet because...I wouldn't say so but during the day while dry it should be great even though it doesnt really feel like grass- Maybe you will like it, who knows, everyone's different. Personally, my favorite is just plain ol' astroturf...(tangent coming up)then again I may just have a grudge against field turf cuz my friend almost knocked my teeth out with his trombone slide at state marching cuz he almost fell down right next to me and the judges commented on it and rubbed it in that it was due to poor backwards marching because his feet werent being dragged light enough and bla bla bla and one marchign judge followed him throughout the entire show so the entire band kinda turned against him like it was his fault we didnt do that great...i should have just been exclusively in football...band is far too complicated.

I would have to concur...a full practice on any field with field turf would be a big help. And if your coaches say absolutely not, just say "the band got to prepare on field turf to be ready before they went to state" and maybe that will uh...loosen some strings a bit if things are the same way there.
It's the type you really need to get used to before being able to do well on

SintonFan
11-26-2002, 03:04 AM
Bandera by 3. PI is good but Bandera is too. This is gonna be a really nice game.

KatPride03
11-26-2002, 02:58 PM
i would have to take PI by 6

silver king
11-26-2002, 03:36 PM
In respond 2 P.I. looking ahead 2 playing yoakum.

I dought that is the case at this moment,Bandera is next and that is IT...GO TARPONS!!!

Big Tarp 74
11-26-2002, 06:16 PM
When it get to this level, anything can happen. The problem is, most of these teams, have not played anyone in common, so it is hard to know. As for Port Isabel, they will play who ever hard. This team has being over look a lot. They can put up a good fight on any given friday. I think they will give Bandera real trouble. They are fast, and they will hit people, make no mistake. PI line took Tommy Blake best shots, and with stood them. I dont know about you, but this team has had a hard season, with big schools, weak in and weak out. Aransas Pass was unable to wear them complete down, and they were huge plus they had speed. Aransas Pass was having just as much trouble stoping our quick backs as well. Many times they were just an arm tackles away from breaking it. PI linebackers punished Tommy Blake all game lone. These boys will hit with their engines wide open. I have also noticed that teams are still thing PI will only run, they will do both. Aransas Pass found that out quick. Our receivers are some of the fastest in the entire state, and our running backs, are just as quick. The following is what PI had to face in Aransas Pass.

big daddy russ
Varsity
Member # 1096

Rate Member posted November 23, 2002 03:41 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Like I said, the Panthers aren't small by any means...

Starting offensive line:
OT: Josh Cavallin 6'4" 295
TJ Sanchez 5'9" 275
OG: Albert Wagner 6' 225
Jason Torres 5'11" 225
C: Tony Byrnes 6'3" 270

Backups:
Brian Clark 6'1" 275
Andrew Byrnes 6' 270
Reuben Davila 5'10" 220 (word is that he runs a 4.9)
Paul Martinez 6'1" 225

Defensive Line:
DE: Polito Palma 5'10" 205
Paul Martinez 6'1" 225
DT: Reuben Davila 5'10" 220

Backups:
Chris Paez 6'1" 295
Andrew Byrnes 6' 270
Brian Clark 6'1" 275

Add 6'4" 225-pound running back Tommy Blake, 6'2" 200-pound quarterback John David Heard and 6'3" 205 tight end Robert Scheibe to a line that averages about 6'1" 258 and that offense is pretty darned big for a R4 team. They gave us a good year.

Region 4:

DI - Sinton -vs- Burnet ( Sinton by 12 )
DII - Port Isabel -vs- Bandera ( Port Isabel by 7 )

DII - Yoakum -vs- Wes Oso ( Yoakum by 16 )
:D

Big Tarp 74
11-27-2002, 06:44 PM
Hey guys take a look at this link. I cannot figure out how to display this image. This has a picture of Port Isabel against Aransas Pass.www.texasteam.com (http://www.texasateam.com/football.htm) :D :D

MR.T TARPON21
11-29-2002, 09:37 PM
port isabel tarpons are gonna win!!!!!!
missile is ready to give bandera hell come 2 pm.tomorrw!
be ready for another great showing by the tarpons,and fans, not to mention us proud parents!
yoakom, your next if you can beat west oso?
good luck yoakom hope to see you next week! eek!
were ready for payback!!!! :cool:
to missile and all of the tarpons give them hell!