PDA

View Full Version : Burnet/Jasper Rematch

LowDownDawg
12-02-2003, 01:24 PM
Different teams somewhat this year, last year Jasper was very confident on the defensive side after putting up a bunch of shutouts. I noticed this year they haven't had that same success. They look like they can run the ball fairly well, but the passing game is lacking. Lineman don't look as big this year but still seem to run block well. I don't know much about their special teams. I read that they were 0-5 at Kyle Field and as much as they would like to forget last year, I believe that was a bitter defeat for them and could play a mental role this year. Burnet is a quality team also. They have scored a lot of points, mostly against below average teams but with 62,70,and 42 points in 3 playoff games they are confident in their ability to score from anywhere on the field. Defensively I don't think they are quite what they were last year, but plenty potent. In the mind game, they also remember last year and confidence should be very high. I think it will possibly be a track meet with a high score from both teams, closer than Wharton, but I think the experience of the offensive leaders from Burnet will prevail. Your thoughts?

spiveyrat
12-02-2003, 02:40 PM
Sounds about right to me. I agree with you. EXCEPT, I hope your last statement is wrong! :D

<small>[ December 02, 2003, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: spiveyrat ]</small>

Hupernikomen
12-02-2003, 02:58 PM
LowDownDawg:
Different teams somewhat this year, last year Jasper was very confident on the defensive side after putting up a bunch of shutouts. I noticed this year they haven't had that same success. They look like they can run the ball fairly well, but the passing game is lacking. Lineman don't look as big this year but still seem to run block well. I don't know much about their special teams. I read that they were 0-5 at Kyle Field and as much as they would like to forget last year, I believe that was a bitter defeat for them and could play a mental role this year. Burnet is a quality team also. They have scored a lot of points, mostly against below average teams but with 62,70,and 42 points in 3 playoff games they are confident in their ability to score from anywhere on the field. Defensively I don't think they are quite what they were last year, but plenty potent. In the mind game, they also remember last year and confidence should be very high. I think it will possibly be a track meet with a high score from both teams, closer than Wharton, but I think the experience of the offensive leaders from Burnet will prevail. Your thoughts?I am fairly certain that Burnet will put up big numbers. What I am not sure about is if Jasper can chew up large chunks of the clock and keep the game close to have a chance to win it. I would say this game could be in the 40's for each or it could be 40's for Burnet and teens for Jasper. Just depend on how the ball bounces early IMO.

southern_thunder
12-02-2003, 03:37 PM
If Jasper will get their passing game going this week it could be a long night for the Burnet Bulldogs, if not it could be along night for the Jasper Bulldogs.

I predict

Jasper 42
Burnet 35

LowDownDawg
12-02-2003, 04:04 PM
From what I have seen, Jasper does not have much of a passing game. Not sure they can line up and throw and be successful. Can they break a few catches, yes, they do have the athletes to do that. Will it be enough to win. Not sure on that. I bet their coaches aren't preparing for that type of offensive plan. I think they will try to run and keep the ball out of Burnet's offensive hands and hope to eat up the clock, somewhat like Sinton did last week in the 3rd quarter. But if Burnet makes a couple of stops and scores on possesion, then it becomes a game that Jasper has to throw the ball to catch up, and I'm not sure they can do that.

dawg03
12-02-2003, 05:35 PM
Burnet will have their passing game on! They always will and as the competition gets harder Burnet fights harder!
Prediction
Burnet 56
Jasper 35

Dawgystyle
12-02-2003, 08:04 PM
Though Jasper obviously has a very talented ball club I don't think they bring to the table the same overall volume of talent that they had last year. I recall Coach Shipley of Burnet saying last year that the 2003 Burnet team would be better than the one that lost to Everman. I think that has held true. We lost some key positions but as an overall team I think we are more talented. This is a good experience year for Jasper. They won't beat Burnet. They won't be shutout or blownout either. But overall I don't think the game will be very close. Burnet wins by 21 points.