PDA

View Full Version : To tatoo or not, that is the question?

panfan
09-25-2013, 06:48 AM
Got one or more? Thoughts on athletes who have them? Would you want your kid to have one or more?

Me - no. Too each his/her own. I would prefer none of my kids did, but then again, once they are adults they can do as they please and I'll respect their preferences (at least that is my line now while I still have control).

buckeyebob
09-25-2013, 07:06 AM
I have a buddy that is a dermmatologist...he has invested a butt load of $$ for building add on & equipment to remove tats...he is doing well with it & growing...everyone needs to remember they are permanent unless you got $$.

Txbroadcaster
09-25-2013, 07:21 AM
I have two and love em...had one now for 15 years the other for 11

hookandladder
09-25-2013, 07:22 AM
I have a buddy that is a dermmatologist...he has invested a butt load of $$ for building add on & equipment to remove tats...he is doing well with it & growing...everyone needs to remember they are permanent unless you got $$.

Josh Hamilton may be visiting him before long, he has said he regrets ever tattooing all up.

coachc45
09-25-2013, 07:37 AM
Josh Hamilton may be visiting him before long, he has said he regrets ever tattooing all up.

He regrets them because he got all of his while in drug and alcohol induced states. They remind him of those times. Tattoos are a great form of expression, but I do not recommend 17-25 yr old kids getting them. Too many things change in kids between that time and they are not yet the person they will become. Got my 1st one at 31 and love all of mine. I was mature enough to make the decision as an adult. Kids don't understand that anything they put on their body is permanent and they are stuck with them.

Pudlugger
09-25-2013, 07:51 AM
He regrets them because he got all of his while in drug and alcohol induced states. They remind him of those times. Tattoos are a great form of expression, but I do not recommend 17-25 yr old kids getting them. Too many things change in kids between that time and they are not yet the person they will become. Got my 1st one at 31 and love all of mine. I was mature enough to make the decision as an adult. Kids don't understand that anything they put on their body is permanent and they are stuck with them.

One tattoo is youthful indiscretion. Two tattoos are evidence of defiance. Three or more is sociopathy.

coachc45
09-25-2013, 09:06 AM
One tattoo is youthful indiscretion. Two tattoos are evidence of defiance. Three or more is sociopathy.

What?????

Macarthur
09-25-2013, 09:16 AM
I'm not a fan.

Rabid Cougar
09-25-2013, 09:19 AM

Black & Decker Belt Sander with 60 Grit paper works excellent! They are not allowed on my kids. What they do after they leave the house/off my check book is up to them.

Pudlugger
09-25-2013, 09:35 AM
What?????

Multiple tattoos are evidence of sociopathy. While not everyone with multiple tattoos are sociopaths there is a definite positive correlation of tattoos and sociopathy. The correlation is not 1 to 1 but very high. Here is an interesting article discussing this association.

http://www.zimbio.com/Celtic+Tattoos/articles/9/Body+Art+Tattoos+Sociopaths+Relationship

hookandladder
09-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Black & Decker Belt Sander with 60 Grit paper works excellent! They are not allowed on my kids. What they do after they leave the house/off my check book is up to them.

That's what I am talking about and even after he get's off my checkbook if he wants to mark his body up , then he has enoguh money without getting any of mine.

Manso/V8
09-25-2013, 09:44 AM
Tats are a form of self-expression, it is a way to let the rest of the world know "I make bad decisions".

caleb_mccaig
09-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Tats are a form of self-expression, it is a way to let the rest of the world know "I make bad decisions".

At one point my senior year I wanted a tattoo, but I'm glad I didn't rush out to get one. If you're a collegiate athlete or someone who stays in shape and doesn't get something stupid I"m all for them, but I think high school kids who have them shouldn't be allowed. It should have to be covered up.

Manso/V8
09-25-2013, 09:48 AM
An ankle tattoo on a female is her way of telling the world "I got pregnant in high school".......

Manso/V8
09-25-2013, 09:51 AM
The proverbial tramp stamp is a way to tell the world "I am/was a whore" and "I didn't think I was ever going to get fat"

panfan
09-25-2013, 09:58 AM
The proverbial tramp stamp is a way to tell the world "I am/was a whore" and "I didn't think I was ever going to get fat"

I thought about getting a tramp stamp that read WIDE LOAD :D

coachc45
09-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Multiple tattoos are evidence of sociopathy. While not everyone with multiple tattoos are sociopaths there is a definite positive correlation of tattoos and sociopathy. The correlation is not 1 to 1 but very high. Here is an interesting article discussing this association.

http://www.zimbio.com/Celtic+Tattoos/articles/9/Body+Art+Tattoos+Sociopaths+Relationship

So in order to back up this incredibly stupid post .... "One tattoo is youthful indiscretion. Two tattoos are evidence of defiance. Three or more is sociopathy." You post an article that explains that the rarest people on earth are sociopaths. And that most sociopaths have tattoos. So you make the jump that people with multiple tattoos are sociopaths? Really?

That would be like saying. "Many Billionaires dropped out of high school, so if you want to be a billionaire you should drop out of high school!!!!"

Manso/V8
09-25-2013, 10:47 AM
So in order to back up this incredibly stupid post .... "One tattoo is youthful indiscretion. Two tattoos are evidence of defiance. Three or more is sociopathy." You post an article that explains that the rarest people on earth are sociopaths. And that most sociopaths have tattoos. So you make the jump that people with multiple tattoos are sociopaths? Really?

That would be like saying. "Many Billionaires dropped out of high school, so if you want to be a billionaire you should drop out of high school!!!!"

I am not a fan of tattoos, but a small discrete tattoo doesn't impact my opinion of a person that much, but it still does a little.

Multiple tattoos in public view, like sleeves or neck up tattoos, makes me I think that person has very low self-esteem, is self-loathing, is stupid, or "off" in some way.

That is my opinion/view, it may not be the case, but I only think it is only fair that other people know what tattoos, especially multiple tattoos, "self-express" to many people.

Manso/V8
09-25-2013, 10:48 AM
Think before you ink - Manso/V8

Pudlugger
09-25-2013, 11:14 AM

There is a correlation here even if you refuse to see it.

panfan
09-25-2013, 11:35 AM

correlation is not the same as causation. random variables can be related, but it does not mean that one causes the other as in with changes in x expect to see y rate change. While there may be an observation that sociopaths have a higher incidence of tattoos on their body, the reverse is not always true that people with lots of tattoo are sociopaths. Statistics in the wrong hands can be dangerous.

GrTigers6
09-25-2013, 11:47 AM
I could care less either way. My wife wants one as a memorial for her best friend who passed last year but not sure if she will ever do it.
I also tend to judge people from tats by the location of them as well as the amount. Is it right ? no but its just the way I see them Of course if you add multiple piercings in places other than ears than my impression of you just fell way down hill. And if your looking for a job than I have to say that may influence me to not hire that person over someone who has a tat ot two

Cam
09-25-2013, 11:55 AM
I could care less either way. My wife wants one as a memorial for her best friend who passed last year but not sure if she will ever do it.
I also tend to judge people from tats by the location of them as well as the amount. Is it right ? no but its just the way I see them Of course if you add multiple piercings in places other than ears than my impression of you just fell way down hill. And if your looking for a job than I have to say that may influence me to not hire that person over someone who has a tat ot two

Hey wait a minute!.....so what's wrong with my Prince Albert???.....:foul:.......besides, if I'm lookin' for a job and you ask to see ol' Yukon Cornelius, I'm gonna get mighty uncomfortable, I don't reckon we'll be workin' together!!.....:doh::D

GrTigers6
09-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Hey wait a minute!.....so what's wrong with my Prince Albert???.....:foul:.......besides, if I'm lookin' for a job and you ask to see ol' Yukon Cornelius, I'm gonna get mighty uncomfortable, I don't reckon we'll be workin' together!!.....:doh::D

Cam, the only time we will be in the same place is if Im running a mental hospital and your a patient:D

Pudlugger
09-25-2013, 12:36 PM
correlation is not the same as causation. random variables can be related, but it does not mean that one causes the other as in with changes in x expect to see y rate change. While there may be an observation that sociopaths have a higher incidence of tattoos on their body, the reverse is not always true that people with lots of tattoo are sociopaths. Statistics in the wrong hands can be dangerous.

I made no mention of causation only correlation. For example smoking cigarettes is correlated with alcoholism and drug abuse but does not cause these addictions. Smoking is therefore a common characteristic of alcoholics and drug abusers just as multiple tattoos are a common characteristic of sociopaths. So the question is why would someone want to permanently mark such a thing on their body?

Rabid Cougar
09-25-2013, 02:01 PM
If you are ever around Navy Seal /Special Forces type individuals, check their sleeve tats out. I don't think there are self esteem issues with them. I have also have seen lots of these guys with mulitple dates and initials on thier calves. I don't view these in the same light as I do the ones on civilians. Still very much a military tradition.

GrTigers6
09-25-2013, 02:38 PM
If you are ever around Navy Seal /Special Forces type individuals, check their sleeve tats out. I don't think there are self esteem issues with them. I have also have seen lots of these guys with mulitple dates and initials on thier calves. I don't view these in the same light as I do the ones on civilians. Still very much a military tradition.

:iagree:

Cam
09-25-2013, 03:34 PM
Cam, the only time we will be in the same place is if Im running a mental hospital and your a patient:D

.....I'm appalled!!.....:flaming:

GrTigers6
09-25-2013, 03:49 PM
.....I'm appalled!!.....:flaming:

Hey I am only using your own confessions about being crazy!:crazy1::D

greendawg84
09-25-2013, 04:21 PM
Hey I am only using your own confessions about being crazy!:crazy1::D

Confession hell , that CAM IS crazy .

Txbroadcaster
09-25-2013, 04:30 PM

why do you not view them in the same light as civilians?

Pudlugger
09-25-2013, 04:38 PM
References to missions or kills?

Manso/V8
09-25-2013, 07:13 PM

Sleeve tats on Navy Seal/Special Forces type are still a self-esteem issue, but a different kind of self-esteem issue. My opinion would be less impacted by the dates and initials on their calves, but it would still be impacted. Just my opinion. They have every right to get them, I don't care either way......unless we as tax payers have to pay for their removal at some later date.

bobcat1
09-25-2013, 08:53 PM
I got one about 3am one morning 19 years old drunk on Tequila being dared by my friends and called names like p---y. Tequila rose up and got me. :vrycnfsd: (no the word was not pretty).

My Dad said nothing good happens after midnight. I thought my Mom was going to disown me for a while. Do I regret it.... yes. Would I do it again in the same circumstances..... most likely. Would I do it sober? Hell no.

Ernest T Bass
09-25-2013, 09:12 PM
I got a few when I was young(under 21), and later had them removed. Got a few more later(after 30), and I'm fine with them.

Rabid Cougar
09-25-2013, 09:28 PM
why do you not view them in the same light as civilians?

I view civilians in a different light in general. Not negative, just differently. My views are very influenced by my experiences with young soldiers in Afghanistan. I lived and ran missions with them in some very bad places and very bad situations. They protected me as if I was one their own and I mourned thier losses as if they were my own.

coachc45
09-25-2013, 10:39 PM

There is a correlation here and I see it..... It is that Sociopaths tend to have Tattoos. That does not equate to what you posted. You said if you have 3+ Tattoos you are a socio-path. That is not even close to what the article you provided says and not even close to truth.

I don't care if you like tattoos or not, but to say people with 3+ tattoos are sociopaths is beyond Stupidity, it is bordering on complete Idiocy.

And don't crawfish and say you didn't say that, it is absolutely what you said.

If you don't want tattoos because you think it associates you with being a sociopath then by all means don't get them. But for you to come on and say that...... What a joke! Oh and by trying to justify it, you are making yourself out to be even more moronic than your original statement.

hookandladder
09-26-2013, 06:12 AM
At one point my senior year I wanted a tattoo, but I'm glad I didn't rush out to get one. If you're a collegiate athlete or someone who stays in shape and doesn't get something stupid I"m all for them, but I think high school kids who have them shouldn't be allowed. It should have to be covered up.

In La Grange high school, if you have a tattoo on your body it must be covered up at all times if you are playing sports. I know that for sure, I do know many people that have them that wish they would have never gotten them and yes it does affect me personally how I perceive them. Just the way is, your choice.

Pudlugger
09-26-2013, 06:19 AM
There is a correlation here and I see it..... It is that Sociopaths tend to have Tattoos. That does not equate to what you posted. You said if you have 3+ Tattoos you are a socio-path. That is not even close to what the article you provided says and not even close to truth.

I don't care if you like tattoos or not, but to say people with 3+ tattoos are sociopaths is beyond Stupidity, it is bordering on complete Idiocy.

And don't crawfish and say you didn't say that, it is absolutely what you said.

If you don't want tattoos because you think it associates you with being a sociopath then by all means don't get them. But for you to come on and say that...... What a joke! Oh and by trying to justify it, you are making yourself out to be even more moronic than your original statement.

Wow a person defending multiple tattoos calling another person a moron for pointing out how anti-social it is to have multiple tattoos. That's rich.

I said equals sociopathy. That means it is an anti-social act to have multiple(3 or more) tattoos. That does not mean the person is a full blown sociopath. It means that it is a sign of sociopathy. There is a difference although too subtle for the likes of you apparently.

coachc45
09-26-2013, 07:02 AM
Wow a person defending multiple tattoos calling another person a moron for pointing out how anti-social it is to have multiple tattoos. That's rich.

I said equals sociopathy. That means it is an anti-social act to have multiple(3 or more) tattoos. That does not mean the person is a full blown sociopath. It means that it is a sign of sociopathy. There is a difference although too subtle for the likes of you apparently.

Therein lies the problem you think you are being subtle.... but you aren't.

You should have said sociopath = 3+ tattoos, not the other way around. You say that it is an anti-social act to have multiple tattoos, which is not supported by your article. Your own evidence says that sociopathy is extremely rare and that the tattoos are a small clue. You leapt from that to multiple tattoos = sociopath.

Oh and I never called you a moron, I said your satement was Moronic. Maybe you should brush up on subtleties.

hookandladder
09-26-2013, 07:24 AM

Good Luck Pud.

Pudlugger
09-26-2013, 07:29 AM
Therein lies the problem you think you are being subtle.... but you aren't.

You should have said sociopath = 3+ tattoos, not the other way around. You say that it is an anti-social act to have multiple tattoos, which is not supported by your article. Your own evidence says that sociopathy is extremely rare and that the tattoos are a small clue. You leapt from that to multiple tattoos = sociopath.

Oh and I never called you a moron, I said your satement was Moronic. Maybe you should brush up on subtleties.

I did not say three or more tattoos = sociopath. I said 3 or more = sociopathy. There is a big difference between what I said and what you falsely claim I said. Let me explain it to you like you're a 6 year old. A sociopath is a person whose personality and actions are largely defined by anti-social behaviors. Sociopathy refers to an act or behavior that is anti-social. Most people at some time in their lives, usually in their adolescence, have committed acts that are anti-social or sociopathic. That does not make them a full blown sociopath as such an isolated act does not define the persons character in toto. Now do you understand?

Getting all tatted up is anti-social. It is logical to take a close look at such an individual for further evidence of sociopathy. If you are an HR manager for an armored car company and a potential hire for a guard comes into your interview with multiple exposed tattoos would you hire that person if they passed the drug test and usual background check? Maybe, but more than likely you would dismiss such a person out of hand rather than take a chance on him/her and risk you career.

panfan
09-26-2013, 08:00 AM
I did not say three or more tattoos = sociopath. I said 3 or more = sociopathy. There is a big difference between what I said and what you falsely claim I said. Let me explain it to you like you're a 6 year old. A sociopath is a person whose personality and actions are largely defined by anti-social behaviors. Sociopathy refers to an act or behavior that is anti-social. Most people at some time in their lives, usually in their adolescence, have committed acts that are anti-social or sociopathic. That does not make them a full blown sociopath as such an isolated act does not define the persons character in toto. Now do you understand?

Getting all tatted up is anti-social. It is logical to take a close look at such an individual for further evidence of sociopathy. If you are an HR manager for an armored car company and a potential hire for a guard comes into your interview with multiple exposed tattoos would you hire that person if they passed the drug test and usual background check? Maybe, but more than likely you would dismiss such a person out of hand rather than take a chance on him/her and risk you career.

So do cultures where tattoo are part of their heritage have higher rates of sociaopathy? Probably not. Do military folks with stellar records who tat up have higher rates of sociopathy? Again, probably not. All in all, its not an accepted practice in our little corner of the world, and as more global influences have begun the change our society, we have seen some things, like tattoos become more prevalent. And some people don't care for it, others like myself - say to each his own, while others are fully in support.

I started this thread because my son, who knows not what he thinks he does, wants a tattoo - and I know why. He think it makes him look like a badass, and all the pros got em. In the end, after football season or as he heads off to college, I'll loose as he will be a young man capable of making his own decisions. But before he goes and does it, I'm going to have him read this thread, as it may change his mind to view the perceptions and judgements he may have to face. Or at least it may make him think about placement (i.e., can I cover it up).

BwdLion73
09-26-2013, 08:27 AM
It has changed so much over the years. What used to a symbol of rebellion or cool is now the social norm. (just go to Wal-Mart and look at the Walmartian Tattoo people. My son has no tattoos and said the other day that he is now the cool different one as he is the only one in his group that is tattoo free. Looks like I'm coming back in style! ;)

panfan
09-26-2013, 08:34 AM
It has changed so much over the years. What used to a symbol of rebellion or cool is now the social norm. (just go to Wal-Mart and look at the Walmartian Tattoo people. My son has no tattoos and said the other day that he is now the cool different one as he is the only one in his group that is tattoo free. Looks like I'm coming back in style! ;)

Maybe I'll get lucky and find that my boy takes a similar thought process to heart. I just feel kind a sorry for those guys when they were semi- buff getting big barbed wire tribal tats around their biceps. Now they are pushing keys in an office or whatever, and not so buff and those things just look like a a big mistake. LOL

Txbroadcaster
09-26-2013, 08:36 AM
Maybe I'll get lucky and find that my boy takes a similar thought process to heart. I just feel kind a sorry for those guys when they were semi- buff getting big barbed wire tribal tats around their biceps. Now they are pushing keys in an office or whatever, and not so buff and those things just look like a a big mistake. LOL

Those are the ones that regret them..my two Tatts rep times in my life and I love them

Pudlugger
09-26-2013, 08:37 AM
So do cultures where tattoo are part of their heritage have higher rates of sociaopathy? Probably not. Do military folks with stellar records who tat up have higher rates of sociopathy? Again, probably not.

Sociopathic behavior is defined by the norms of the society in which it occurs so you are simply pointing that out. In our culture(Western...and I'm not referring to cowboys and indians but Western Civilization) multiple tattoos are still viewed as outside the norm and anti-social. In New Zealand where a large population of aboriginal people have tribal tattoos it is within the norms within that subset of society so it is not viewed as sociopathic behavior unless such a person moves to Des Moines Iowa. In certain groups or subcultures i.e military, biker clubs, prison and the NFL and NBA, it is a norm for that small group but within the society at large still viewed as aberrant and anti-social so you lost me on the that part of your argument. I think it is wise of you to counsel your son to avoid tattoos and hopefully he will make the right choices.

coachc45
09-26-2013, 09:26 AM

OK.... So did you or did you not post this????

http://www.zimbio.com/Celtic+Tattoos...s+Relationship

In the article, that you are using as evidence it discusses sociopaths and their prevalence of tattoos. It does not say that tattoos are evidence of sociopathy. You say it is not 1 to 1 but very high, yet the article says that Sociopaths are extremely rare in this society.... making your assumption and statement misleading and untrue.

You are trying to make a correlation between 2 things that is not there.

Now to further my point, your definition of sociopathy is one who shows anti-social behaviors. You go on to say that anti-social means outside of the accepted norm of society. If that is true, then you might want to examine the norms of society as we now know it. In the USA, at this time, young adults from 17-30 have clearly shown that being "All Tatted up" is very much acceptable in this society. Evidence by the many Tattoo shows that are prevalent on TV and the evidence you can clearly see for yourself walking down the street.

So basing your opinion on an Archaic and out of date standard..... one shared by people of the older generation in the USA is extremely flawed. In other words, times change whether you like it or not..... instead of Tattoos being viewed as anti-social, most people get them as a way to fit in. Don't base your opinion on 10 or 15 years ago, base it on now.

Pretty good for a 6 year old huh?

Pudlugger
09-26-2013, 09:32 AM
Man, I'm really glad that I donated my polyester Leisure Suit to Goodwill 35 years ago and don't have to wear it all the time now like a bunch of tats. Fads come and go but tattoos are permanent. My wife says she wouldn't have accepted my proposal 32 years ago if I had worn that suit. :)

Txbroadcaster
09-26-2013, 09:35 AM
Man, I'm really glad that I donated my polyester Leisure Suit to Goodwill 35 years ago and don't have to wear it all the time now like a bunch of tats. Fads come and go but tattoos are permanent. My wife says she wouldn't have accepted my proposal 32 years ago if I had worn that suit. :)

tats are not a fad...might be a fad now in how many people get them...but have always been part of society( since invention of course) and always will be

hookandladder
09-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Just say no to Tattoos , pretty easy and it is not the norm to have them these days. It is only normally if you are around other people that have them, I personally do not care to be around someone that is all tattooed up. Just does not look right to me but that is just me.

Cam
09-26-2013, 10:08 AM
Just say no to Tattoos , pretty easy and it is not the norm to have them these days. It is only normally if you are around other people that have them, I personally do not care to be around someone that is all tattooed up. Just does not look right to me but that is just me.

ahh come on hook....I think you should get a tat that saids, "hook and ladder" across your butt cheeks!!.....that'll learn em'!!!..:doh:

Manso/V8
09-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Aaron Hernandez has a lot of tattoos.
Tom Brady does not.

Txbroadcaster
09-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Tom Brady does not.

Teddy Roosevelt had a tattoo...OJ Simpson does not

Cam
09-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Teddy Roosevelt had a tattoo...OJ Simpson does not

Nice comeback!!...

Txbroadcaster
09-26-2013, 10:36 AM
I was just giving him a hard time LOL

hookandladder
09-26-2013, 10:47 AM
ahh come on hook....I think you should get a tat that saids, "hook and ladder" across your butt cheeks!!.....that'll learn em'!!!..:doh:

Maybe when I am dead , but it might read kiss my a _ _ .

coachc45
09-26-2013, 10:53 AM

Saying that it is not the norm to have them these days is turning a blind eye. I would go as far to say that there are just as many people that have them that do not. In 10 years it will be more with than without. You would be surprised at how many people have them that don't show them.

I really do love how biases and personal opinion skews how things are viewed by certain age groups. Tattoos are not a fad, they are here and have been since the dark ages. They also are becoming to the point that they are the norm, open your eyes and see it.

coachc45
09-26-2013, 10:54 AM
Tom Brady does not.

Adolph Hitler had no tattoos, but the German Jews did...... Your point?

(I can play that game too....lol)

coachc45
09-26-2013, 10:56 AM

My point about age....... You are doing a good job of proving it.

Manso/V8
09-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Adolph Hitler had no tattoos, but the German Jews did...... Your point?

(I can play that game too....lol)

LOL!
The Aaron Hernandez comment must have bothered you.
You can try, but I don't think you can play the game as well as me.

Cam
09-26-2013, 11:16 AM
LOL!
The Aaron Hernandez comment must have bothered you.
You can try, but I don't think you can play the game as well as me.

...or maybe it was the Tom Brady comment....manso..I gotta admit...you confucius the hell outta me sometimes!!...:vrycnfsd:

Manso/V8
09-26-2013, 11:26 AM
Saying that it is not the norm to have them these days is turning a blind eye. I would go as far to say that there are just as many people that have them that do not. In 10 years it will be more with than without. You would be surprised at how many people have them that don't show them.

I really do love how biases and personal opinion skews how things are viewed by certain age groups. Tattoos are not a fad, they are here and have been since the dark ages. They also are becoming to the point that they are the norm, open your eyes and see it.

Getting a tattoo that is not in public view is different than get one that is always seen.

It may be the norm in your world, but your world is going to change. Quicker than you realize you will start to notice that your cool (sheeple?) tatted friends are getting fat and bloated (like they said would never happen to them), or they will start to look just like their dad. The tats will get stretched or maybe like I have seen many times, they will blur and get fuzzy, turning in to more of stain. Maybe, just maybe, your views might change over time. You will probably wish you save more money or done other things your parents or other people suggested.

This thread was started by someone asking people what they thought about tattoos. People shared their opinions and thoughts. It seems to bother you that people have a different opinion than yours. I don't care if you or anyone else (except my kids) has tattoos, why should you care if I think it is a bad idea?

Manso/V8
09-26-2013, 11:32 AM
...or maybe it was the Tom Brady comment....manso..I gotta admit...you confucius the hell outta me sometimes!!...:vrycnfsd:
Gotta admit, I don't actually know if Tom Brady has a tattoo.

Colin Kaepernick has the Waffle House menu tatted on his arms......it was handy back when he first got it, but now the menu prices have changed.

Txbroadcaster
09-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Getting a tattoo that is not in public view is different than get one that is always seen.

It may be the norm in your world, but your world is going to change. Quicker than you realize you will start to notice that your cool (sheeple?) tatted friends are getting fat and bloated (like they said would never happen to them), or they will start to look just like their dad. The tats will get stretched or maybe like I have seen many times, they will blur and get fuzzy, turning in to more of stain. Maybe, just maybe, your views might change over time. You will probably wish you save more money or done other things your parents or other people suggested.

This thread was started by someone asking people what they thought about tattoos. People shared their opinions and thoughts. It seems to bother you that people have a different opinion than yours. I don't care if you or anyone else (except my kids) has tattoos, why should you care if I think it is a bad idea?

This is where I think your were right at one time but wrong now...as I get older( 38 now) I see more and more with tatts..know a ton of people who have high positions in a corp world who have tatts and sleeves etc etc...Yes there will always be those who see a tatt and assume the worst..but more and more the older group have already had tatts

hookandladder
09-26-2013, 11:40 AM

You hit the nail on the head, so true.

hookandladder
09-26-2013, 11:42 AM
This is where I think your were right at one time but wrong now...as I get older( 38 now) I see more and more with tatts..know a ton of people who have high positions in a corp world who have tatts and sleeves etc etc...Yes there will always be those who see a tatt and assume the worst..but more and more the older group have already had tatts

That all depends on where you live , in small towns tatts are not the norm. Keep them tatts in the big city, we don't need them down here.

Cam
09-26-2013, 11:43 AM
I can see there's a lot of "tit for tat" goin' on in this thread!....:crazy1:............this is all your fault panfan!.....typical Liberty Hill trouble-maker!....

coachc45
09-26-2013, 11:51 AM

I can ask you the same thing..... see I was having a conversation with pudlugger and you jumped into my conversation.... but whatever.

See I haven't said anything about whether I am for or against tattoos. I just stated that times have changed and people look at them differently now. The norms have changed and no matter how you view things they have. What I said and was arguing with pud about has nothing to do with likes or dislikes, it was refuting his statement that tattoos = sociopathy.

Oh and I am 45 years old, I'm already old and fat...... so I don't think I need advice about what my tats will look like.

coachc45
09-26-2013, 11:54 AM

Dude I'm 45 years old.... My world has already changed. I don't understand what that has to do with anything.... You made a funny comment, I made one back. Yet you decide to lecture me about being old and fat and not liking them.....

For someone who says he doesn't take things serious, kinda took that bad didn't you? Sorry if I offended. Just thought we were playing around.

And it didn't bother me that he had a differing opinion..... who cares if he likes them or not. If you read I was offended by his statement that tattoos = sociopathy. Not because of his liking them or not, just that it was idiotic.

It is amazing how when people have differing views than you, you guys call them out for arguing about it by saying they don't like having differing views.

Manso/V8
09-26-2013, 12:07 PM
It is amazing how when people have differing views than you, you guys call them out for arguing about it by saying they don't like having differing views.

You haven't upset me at all. Yeah, I do have a strong opinion on tatts and the image they project, at least to me, and evidently others.
I normally don't say anything about tatts, but thought that it would be fair to tell folks what this corner of the world thinks.

In your previous post you said "skewed" which intentional or not, implies a distorted view. That is the only thing I took issue with.

So, how do you tatts look now?
Have you seen a tatt that someone got when they were heavier and have now lost weight?

Txbroadcaster
09-26-2013, 12:12 PM
You haven't upset me at all. Yeah, I do have a strong opinion on tatts and the image they project, at least to me, and evidently others.
I normally don't say anything about tatts, but thought that it would be fair to tell folks what this corner of the world thinks.

In your previous post you said "skewed" which intentional or not, implies a distorted view. That is the only thing I took issue with.

Have you seen a tatt that someone got when they were heavier and have now lost weight?

My two tatts still look great..going to get some color added back in on the oldest one because back in the day I did not know enough about keeping it out of sun but it still looks good

Pudlugger
09-26-2013, 12:21 PM

Is that you coachc45?

Pudlugger
09-26-2013, 12:38 PM

Imagine if your daughter brought this guy home to meet the folks.

Txbroadcaster
09-26-2013, 12:44 PM

hahahaha

hookandladder
09-26-2013, 12:50 PM

Is that you coachc45?

Pitiful

hookandladder
09-26-2013, 12:50 PM

Sick stuff.

coachc45
09-26-2013, 12:59 PM

All of my tats still look very good. I didn't start getting them until I was in my 30's. Had nothing to do with rebelling or being anti-social. Had everything to do with me representing my struggle and my family through things that were deeply personal to me.

I have tributes to my parents after they passed. Tributes to my children. And things like that. I know that they are not for everyone and that not all people are going to like them. But, just for a second there I did get offended by Pud for saying what he said.

I did say "skewed" and I wasn't meaning just tats. Everyone has skewed views..... Everyone. They are shaped by upbringing, environment, age and many things. I can see getting offended by several things but by stating that someone has a distorted view? Let me put it this way, People in California think Texans are all hicks and rednecks. Why because they don't see Texas.... They have a skewed view. Vice Versa for Texans toward California. It is no different than age differences, we tend to see things how they "were" even when its obvious that its changing. Face facts, there are a bunch more 20-30 year olds then there are 40-60 yr old and our numbers decline yearly. As much as we'd like things to stay the same they aren't going to. We older folks can either accept it or ending acting and being like the crotchety old folks we didn't like when we were 20 somethings. I choose to accept it.

We all have predjudices and biases and they skew our views.

Txbroadcaster
09-26-2013, 01:05 PM

well hopefully he would not show e that the first time I met him LOL..be more worried if he did than anything LOL

coachc45
09-26-2013, 01:05 PM
http://1funny.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/doctor-tattoo.jpg

Or maybe she brings this guy home?

Cam
09-26-2013, 01:45 PM
tattoo or no tattoo...I don't give a shoot!....I try to look inside the person....for some reason, this thread reminded me of a song by Chip Taylor. This is the same guy who wrote "Wild Thing" and "Angel In The Morning".....two totally different songs.....

"If you learn from somebody who's not like you,
then they can come back & learn from you too." ------ Chip Taylor - "Dance With a Hole In Your Shoe"

Listen to this awesome song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2W2ZW9Vw_U

Anybody ever heard of Chip Taylor??....If you haven't, it's not too late!...

hookandladder
09-26-2013, 01:53 PM
I can ask you the same thing..... see I was having a conversation with pudlugger and you jumped into my conversation.... but whatever.

See I haven't said anything about whether I am for or against tattoos. I just stated that times have changed and people look at them differently now. The norms have changed and no matter how you view things they have. What I said and was arguing with pud about has nothing to do with likes or dislikes, it was refuting his statement that tattoos = sociopathy.

Oh and I am 45 years old, I'm already old and fat...... so I don't think I need advice about what my tats will look like.

Times may have changed and people may look at them differently in your eyes but that has not changed in my neck of the woods, most people I know and have been around that dislike tattoos still do not like them. I definitely would not agree with your statement about the perception of Tattoos have changed, just does not look right on your body parts that are exposed. If someone wants a tattoo for some personal reason , I just do not see why they see the need to have it visible and also multiple exposed are a big turn off as far as me personally. Just not right in my eyes but to each his own, a small tat that is covered up would be the only one I could handle but not on my kid.

coachc45
09-26-2013, 04:05 PM
Times may have changed and people may look at them differently in your eyes but that has not changed in my neck of the woods, most people I know and have been around that dislike tattoos still do not like them. I definitely would not agree with your statement about the perception of Tattoos have changed, just does not look right on your body parts that are exposed. If someone wants a tattoo for some personal reason , I just do not see why they see the need to have it visible and also multiple exposed are a big turn off as far as me personally. Just not right in my eyes but to each his own, a small tat that is covered up would be the only one I could handle but not on my kid.

I do not argue with your opinion. If that is yours than you have a right to it and I applaud it. Where my issue came was with PUD and his statement that 3+ tattoos = Sociopathy. That is not opinion it is something he passed off as fact. I attempted to prove that it is not fact. Shoot even his own article says nothing to back up his assertation. I am not sure that you are comprehending the argument here. Yet you chime in. And falsely at that. We all have biases and they tend to skew our views on the world. We tend to see things how we want to see them, you and I are no different. I tend to lean toward not everything is Black and White, but a pretty shade of grey. You on the other hand tend to have a very Black and White view of the world.... Neither of us are right or wrong, we are just different.

ronwx5x
09-26-2013, 05:32 PM
Interesting. Army will ban any tattoos below the elbow or knee or above the neckline. One stated reason is they want the troops to appear more professional. Certainly will have a bunch of folks having to be grandfathered.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/army-tattoo-regulations-set-change-193303427.html

defense51
09-26-2013, 05:54 PM
Interesting. Army will ban any tattoos below the elbow or knee or above the neckline. One stated reason is they want the troops to appear more professional. Certainly will have a bunch of folks having to be grandfathered.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/army-tattoo-regulations-set-change-193303427.html

The Marine Corps implemented this policy in 07' or '08, every Marine with existing tattoos had to be photographed and documented by their existing command.

Cam
09-26-2013, 07:13 PM
I just got tattooed!.....Got home and realized I forgot to stop at the store and buy my wife some sunflower seeds....it's her addiction......she was pissed....and tattooed me with a left hook across the face!......:vrycnfsd:

Manso/V8
09-26-2013, 11:20 PM
http://1funny.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/doctor-tattoo.jpg

Or maybe she brings this guy home?

I can't decide which guy is creepier, both look like the spawn of Karl Rove.

Manso/V8
09-26-2013, 11:41 PM
All of my tats still look very good. I didn't start getting them until I was in my 30's. Had nothing to do with rebelling or being anti-social. Had everything to do with me representing my struggle and my family through things that were deeply personal to me.

I have tributes to my parents after they passed. Tributes to my children. And things like that. I know that they are not for everyone and that not all people are going to like them. But, just for a second there I did get offended by Pud for saying what he said.

I did say "skewed" and I wasn't meaning just tats. Everyone has skewed views..... Everyone. They are shaped by upbringing, environment, age and many things. I can see getting offended by several things but by stating that someone has a distorted view? Let me put it this way, People in California think Texans are all hicks and rednecks. Why because they don't see Texas.... They have a skewed view. Vice Versa for Texans toward California. It is no different than age differences, we tend to see things how they "were" even when its obvious that its changing. Face facts, there are a bunch more 20-30 year olds then there are 40-60 yr old and our numbers decline yearly. As much as we'd like things to stay the same they aren't going to. We older folks can either accept it or ending acting and being like the crotchety old folks we didn't like when we were 20 somethings. I choose to accept it.

I guess if got your tatts in your 30's it is different than youngster who hasn't figured out who they really are......I guess you were old enough that you were a guy that needed tatts. I understand some people/cultures like/or think those tribute tattoos prove love or dedication to others. It seems they are most popular among hispanics and lower socioeconomic level whites, but maybe not.

I think you and I disagree on what skewed implies, and your Texas/California example hasn't been my experience, it really depends on what part of each state you are comparing.

The reason I expressed my views about tatts is that a lot of kids read this board, and I wanted them to know how at least a decent portion of the population, maybe mostly older, but in my life experience younger people as well, view tattoos. I work on the white collar side of the oil&gas industry, and there are a lot of highly paid young people in the industry. The jobs are coveted and the industry is pretty selective. I have never come across anyone on the white collar side that has visible tattoos. I am sure many have them in places not in view, but what is out of sight is out of mind. I know visible tatts would limit their careers or create some obstacles. Getting paid well as a young person is a lot more badass than a tattoo. My advice is not to limit your options.

Enough about that and tatts. I do enjoy your posts and perspective as a coach.
So, carry on.

coachc45
09-26-2013, 11:57 PM
I guess if got your tatts in your 30's it is different than youngster who hasn't figured out who they really are......I guess you were old enough that you were a guy that needed tatts. I understand some people/cultures like/or think those tribute tattoos prove love or dedication to others. It seems they are most popular among hispanics and lower socioeconomic level whites, but maybe not.

I think you and I disagree on what skewed implies, and your Texas/California example hasn't been my experience, it really depends on what part of each state you are comparing.

The reason I expressed my views about tatts is that a lot of kids read this board, and I wanted them to know how at least a decent portion of the population, maybe mostly older, but in my life experience younger people as well, view tattoos. I work on the white collar side of the oil&gas industry, and there are a lot of highly paid young people in the industry. The jobs are coveted and the industry is pretty selective. I have never come across anyone on the white collar side that has visible tattoos. I am sure many have them in places not in view, but what is out of sight is out of mind. I know visible tatts would limit their careers or create some obstacles. Getting paid well as a young person is a lot more badass than a tattoo. My advice is not to limit your options.

Enough about that and tatts. I do enjoy your posts and perspective as a coach.
So, carry on.

I respect your views and your well thought out response. I don't disagree with what you said at all. My first post on this said pretty much that.

Thanks and have a great evening.

panfan
09-27-2013, 07:30 AM
I respect your views and your well thought out response. I don't disagree with what you said at all. My first post on this said pretty much that.

Thanks and have a great evening.

Civility wins in the end - great job gentlemen. Now its time for some football - so lets go kick some arse on the field!! Good luck to your respective teams!

Ranger Mom
09-27-2013, 09:01 AM
My oldest son has 4 or 5......I hope he isn't a sociopath....he does good, makes more money than my husband and I put together!!! The first one he got is a cross that my youngest son drew (before he started getting into trouble) and my oldest had a tat made of it.

My daughter has two....a cross on her foot and a the state of Texas on her shoulder.

My youngest step son has 5 or 6....he is attending Tech studying to be a sports therapist while taking some other classes at LCU to be a youth minister.....all his tats are faith based!

Ironically....my youngest son, who has 6 months left on his 18 month stint in a Texas prison has one tattoo! His daughter's name (the child I now have custody of) on his shoulder. His fellow inmates ask him why he hasn't gotten any tats in the year he has been there. His reply, "I'm not trying to make a career out of this place, when I get out I plan on looking for a "real" job and I have enough strikes against me as it is without being tatted up!" Maybe he HAS learned something after all!!

Farmersfan
09-27-2013, 09:12 AM

This is a pretty good response coachc45. But I would like to wade in on a side of this comment that it appears you haven't considered. It might very well be true the we see more and more 20-30 year olds with tats in this society but it is equally true that the popularity of tats was promoted at least in part by the "anti-social" or shock value of tattoos. As the become more and more mainstream or acceptable in society it is rational to believe they will begin to become less popular with the rebellious generation. It might be true that some (appaently like yourself) get tats for personal reason or self expressive reason but a large percentage get them as a way to rebel against authority or societies "NORMS".

I have two boys and I raised them with the idea that tats or even peircings are ok if it isn't done in a self destructive or non-advantageous way. Whether you want to agree or not the vast majority of decision makers in this world at this time (employers for example) view exposed tatoos as undesirable. So why any person would choose to saddle themselves with a lifetime requirement of having to overcome that handicap is beyond me. My oldest son served 6 years and got out of the military with no tats and my youngest is serving his second enlistment in Germany right now and has probably 10. All are in places that can be hidden or covered up with long sleeves. So far so good! Excellent thread though! Carry on............

Cam
09-27-2013, 09:25 AM
What about those "devil horn" implants?....How ya'll feel bout them??......:spitlol::devil:

http://imageshack.us/a/img812/4236/glx9.jpg

Ranger Mom
09-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Has anyone seen the documentary "Erasing Hate" on netflix? Just watching what this man went through to have his removed would cure me of wanting to ever get one in the first place!!

Cam
09-27-2013, 09:43 AM
Has anyone seen the documentary "Erasing Hate" on netflix? Just watching what this man went through to have his removed would cure me of wanting to ever get one in the first place!!

Whoa!.....netflix!!...Aren't we spoiled??...:D........and I'm still using rabbit ears!......

Manso/V8
09-27-2013, 02:19 PM
What about those "devil horn" implants?....How ya'll feel bout them??......:spitlol::devil:

http://imageshack.us/a/img812/4236/glx9.jpg

Where did you have them implanted, on your head or arse?

Cam
09-27-2013, 02:50 PM
Where did you have them implanted, on your head or arse?

Both!...:D....Would you like to see them?......:devil:

defense51
09-27-2013, 03:23 PM
Both!...:D....Would you like to see them?......:devil:

This could be what exacerbates your hemorrhoid problem...:weeping:

Cam
09-27-2013, 03:35 PM
This could be what exacerbates your hemorrhoid problem...:weeping:

:spitlol:.......:tisk:.......

Scoop27
09-27-2013, 04:39 PM
Being a teenager mid 70s, I never thought about getting one and there is no way my parents would have let me. I think most that go one regret having it done.

charlesrixey
09-27-2013, 05:41 PM

Completely agree...... I see young marines get them all the time and its not wise. I waited until 28 to start getting them and the older you are, the more you are likely to make good choices about them, lol

No way my brother got his tats back when he was in school now in his 40's look silly.