PDA

View Full Version : Palacios coach comments on Van Vleck coach in Beacon Newspaper story

Scoop27
09-24-2013, 04:29 PM
http://www.palaciosbeacon.com/home/sports.shtml

lostaussie
09-24-2013, 04:45 PM
Van Vleck coach sounds like a total jerk in this story..............but we have only heard one side. If that happened to the Bucks, there would be good cause for getting 90 scored on you:D

Johnny Utah
09-24-2013, 06:11 PM
Van Vleck coach sounds like a total jerk in this story..............but we have only heard one side. If that happened to the Bucks, there would be good cause for getting 90 scored on you:D

A professional educator/coach should not put that in a local paper regardless of what occurred. No reason for it. That is my opinion. The coaching profession is a tight nit community, things like this are not good. If you have a beef with someone, you go to them. You do not put it in the public eye for all to see. I know there are two sides, but stuff like this stays in house. Again, just my opinion.

NTFan
09-24-2013, 08:15 PM
This total crap. I know we have "freedom of speech" in this country, but I wish newspaper columnists could be held accountable for printing crap like this....Coach Bagby is a fine person, as well as a coach. There is always more than one side to the story, and I hope Greg's story makes it out there as well. Coach Bowden showed total unprofessionalism

Scoop27
09-24-2013, 08:41 PM
I've known Greg for over 10 years and this doesn't sound like him at all. I'm sure there is much more too this story and it will be interesting to see if there is a story in Wednesday's Bay City Tribune.

NTFan
09-24-2013, 09:00 PM
Just got off the phone and there is A LOT MORE to the story.......hopefully the other side finds its way out. It's a shame that newspapers can print opinion, as many will take it as the truth.

Weebe
09-24-2013, 09:15 PM
Rarely see when a newspaper columnist throw so many opinions into an article about a game.

Of course, it's the damn Palacios Beacon so I shouldn't expect much.

regaleagle
09-24-2013, 09:27 PM
I don't care what else there is, if anything, to this story. Not giving the visiting team access to your facilities and making the team stand in the downpour is totally wrong. Take your beefs up with each other, but don't punish the kids. The heck with the "unprofessionalism" of Coach Bowden speaking out...he's explaining the why's for the treatment of the team by the hosting coach. In this instance, I tend to agree with Bowden here....as the "unprofessionalism" was made obvious to the fans and entire visiting team. Great way to settle differences....to heck with the kids if they have to suffer. Seems like all of this started with the game films, and the host coach was caught in the act of some underhandedness, or could not obtain game films from the visiting coach until it was too late. Either way, the obvious mistreatment of the visiting team is inexcusable, imo.

Maroon87
09-24-2013, 09:36 PM
No dog in the fight here, other than to say that article was completely unprofessional. It's a game recap, not an editorial. Learn the difference, Ryan West.

NTFan
09-24-2013, 09:40 PM
I don't care what else there is, if anything, to this story. Not giving the visiting team access to your facilities and making the team stand in the downpour is totally wrong. Take your beefs up with each other, but don't punish the kids. The heck with the "unprofessionalism" of Coach Bowden speaking out...he's explaining the why's for the treatment of the team by the hosting coach. In this instance, I tend to agree with Bowden here....as the "unprofessionalism" was made obvious to the fans and entire visiting team. Great way to settle differences....to heck with the kids if they have to suffer. Seems like all of this started with the game films, and the host coach was caught in the act of some underhandedness, or could not obtain game films from the visiting coach until it was too late. Either way, the obvious mistreatment of the visiting team is inexcusable, imo.

If that's how it played out, couldn't agree with you more. Just don't think that's how it played out. Let's wait and see if we hear another side of the story in the days ahead.

ccmom
09-24-2013, 09:52 PM
No dog in the fight here, other than to say that article was completely unprofessional. It's a game recap, not an editorial. Learn the difference, Ryan West.

I'll second that.

Manso/V8
09-24-2013, 10:13 PM
Unprofessional editorialized article, hurt feelings, public pouting......that's some funny small town stuff right there.

I bet is was raining in sheets and continuing the game on Friday night was out of the question.
Assuming it is a grass field........that gumbo ground down that way would still be a mess the next day and the field would have gotten torn up.

I thought all schools swapped film via Hudl, maybe not all 2A's have access.

Bull Butter
09-24-2013, 10:21 PM

Glad you weren't the judge in the Duke Lacrosse case.

Once again, we're only hearing one side of the story, but that seems to be enough for some people

YTBulldogs
09-24-2013, 11:10 PM
Good article Ryan. Tell it like it is. Coach got busted.

Coach Bagby
09-24-2013, 11:24 PM
This article is a shocker. I will provide truthful statements to all of these false allegations. I will not personally attack another coach on a website or in the media.
1. The decision to not finish the game was reached after consulting my coaching staff, the officials and my supt (all agreed 100% that it made no sense to try to make up the game Saturday - because the weather was supposed to continue on Saturday and we were starting district play the next week). The opponent has an open week so they weren't worried about getting ready for a district opponent.
2. For somebody to act like they know my work ethic or my commitment to kids is unfounded.
3.We never discussed a time to play on Saturday, but we did wait until midnight to try to get this game in.
4. We traded game film on Saturday morning (I did try to obtain another film - who doesn't)
5. Never avoided a call from the opponent re: film or anything else.
6. He said I heard you tried to get a film from AP - I said yes sir I did (didn't hide a thing). They turned me down so it didn't matter. We agreed to trade Saturday morning.
7. I was not on the sidelines at the JH games due to Thursday practice with the varsity (I got there at the end of the 8th grade game) I was on the fence line talking to the JV getting ready. My JH coaches shook hands after the JH games - as is customary.
8. I was not on the sidelines at the end of the JV game - I had gone to move the suburban close to the bus to provide our kids with a Gatorade for the ride home. So, I was not in attendance for the JV "after game" hand shakes. The article makes it sound like I was there but wouldn't shake hands - that is not true at all. I have never refused to shake hands.
9. The visitors were provided a dressing room with restrooms, showers and a chalk board. It takes 2 minutes to walk to the stadium or 1 minute to ride the bus. This is what we have. This is where every visiting team has dressed for 4 years. It's not the best, but it's what we have. I have dressed in worse places and in farther away places many times in my career (without throwing a fit).
10. The visitors were also given access to our weight room (right next to the field) during the lightning delay (which started during halftime). We came back Monday to find that they had vandalized our weight room. The wires had been yanked out of the radio, trash and cups were left everywhere, signs were ripped off the wall. my weight scale was broken, the fire extinguisher had been sprayed in the room, the weight vests had been ripped, the names were moved all around on our LEADER BOARD, etc.
11. There are plenty of good coaches that will say good things about me
12. It's a shame that this is even on here or in a "newspaper", but the other side needed to be heard (for those that don't know either of us).
Coaching is a brotherhood - when we have differences it shouldn't be brought to the public eye in this fashion. It does nothing to promote our profession - so for that, I'm sorry.

Bull Butter
09-24-2013, 11:33 PM
Glad we have gotten to hear both sides now. Kinda sheds a little different light on the newspaper article, doesn't it?

OldBison75
09-24-2013, 11:51 PM
Don't know either coach personally, but, the reputation of Coach Bagby has never been in question and what I read in the article is not like him.

YTBulldogs
09-24-2013, 11:53 PM
Maybe both learned a lesson? Don't try to get game video the wrong way, and control your kid's when your a guest.

Weebe
09-25-2013, 12:15 AM
Lol at the Palacios Beacon and the Palacios coach who decided to make this bull public.

regaleagle
09-25-2013, 12:23 AM
Glad you weren't the judge in the Duke Lacrosse case.

Once again, we're only hearing one side of the story, but that seems to be enough for some people

No sir....it was enough to hear that the players were mistreated by adult coaches having their differences. That's what I based my opinion on. As far as I'm concerned, BOTH coaches are at fault here to some degree....but none of the players that were mistreated. I wouldn't want you to judge any of my seemingly indescretions, either. Sounds like you missed the whole point I was making.

scrub c
09-25-2013, 08:55 AM
How were the kids mistreated?

coachc45
09-25-2013, 09:03 AM
How were the kids mistreated?

They weren't. It is out of courtesy that the home team supplies the visiting team with a halftime place to meet or dress. Van Vleck gave them a place to shelter the kids from lightening when that became a danger.

At our school we give the visitors a place to be for varsity games but not subvarsity. Shoot we even meet outside during subvarsity. Not uncommon at a small school to not have a place at halftime on fridays either. Have held halftime under the goal posts many times.

teetle
09-25-2013, 09:10 AM
http://www.palaciosbeacon.com/home/sports.shtmlThats soundeses likes lots of crybabys. Thats games wases nots a distict game. Heys yous gots to plays a half. Thats betters than nothings. Bes happy for whats yous hases.:weeping::weeping::tisk:

44INAROW
09-25-2013, 09:59 AM
Thats soundeses likes lots of crybabys. Thats games wases nots a distict game. Heys yous gots to plays a half. Thats betters than nothings. Bes happy for whats yous hases.:weeping::weeping::tisk:
dang, I am agreeing with Teetle :) They got to play a heck of a lot more than a lot of teams last Friday. Seems to me that 'cry baby' attitude goes with Palacios. I personally witnessed 2 instances when the former AD/HC (the name escapes me right now) raised a huge stink at a District Tract Meet and held up races for 45 minutes (That was in Yoakum and those folks know how to run a track meet) He (the Shark AD) was eventually overruled. The other instance was at a Qualifying 7 on 7 Tourney.. I won't go into specifics but it was "legal" but a chicken$hit move nonetheless. That was OK - we slaughtered them twice that year in REAL FOOTBALL..

Txbroadcaster
09-25-2013, 10:13 AM
Maybe both learned a lesson? Don't try to get game video the wrong way, and control your kid's when your a guest.

how was it the wrong way? coaches always ask other teams for game film

D'Highlander
09-25-2013, 10:13 AM
http://www.palaciosbeacon.com/home/sports.shtml

Wow. This article sounds like a few butt hurt hens...

No dog here either and this is just my opinion.
-I am not putting my team under a goal post in a thunderstorm… not matter what anyone tells me.
-If halftime is coming and it’s raining, and we don’t have a locker room, I am sending my jr high coaches before the half is over to go get a couple of busses so the team can have a dry place to be.
-If another man doesn’t want to shake my hand, why would I want to shake his?
-Prepare your team as if your opponent has seen all your game films. Who cares if he asked for film from someone else?

coachc45
09-25-2013, 10:24 AM
how was it the wrong way? coaches always ask other teams for game film

The dude refused to call Palacious coach back in order to set up film exchange. He didn't call him about it until he was unable to procure film in other ways.

If you want film on someone, then trade with them. Don't go around asking for everyone else to give it to you. That is the wrong way.

If you trade film and they only want to trade 3, then trade 3..... if you want more then go find it from someone else. But don't refuse to trade film. Bad business.

coachc45
09-25-2013, 10:26 AM
Wow. This article sounds like a few butt hurt hens...

No dog here either and this is just my opinion.
-I am not putting my team under a goal post in a thunderstorm… not matter what anyone tells me.
-If halftime is coming and it’s raining, and we don’t have a locker room, I am sending my jr high coaches before the half is over to go get a couple of busses so the team can have a dry place to be.
-If another man doesn’t want to shake my hand, why would I want to shake his?
-Prepare your team as if your opponent has seen all your game films. Who cares if he asked for film from someone else?

I don't care if he asks for film from someone else, if he trades film with me first. Don't be a D-bag and refuse film exchange then go get film elsewhere. It is called being a professional.

MUSTANG69
09-25-2013, 10:27 AM
I applaud Coach Bagby for responding in a professional manner.

caleb_mccaig
09-25-2013, 10:35 AM
Just got off the phone and there is A LOT MORE to the story.......hopefully the other side finds its way out. It's a shame that newspapers can print opinion, as many will take it as the truth.

If it's opinion it's called a column for a reason. If people are to stupid to know what a column is that is nobody's fault other than their own.

Coach Bagby
09-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Never refused to trade film
Never avoided calls
He left a message Saturday morning, I missed the call, but called right back and completed the exchange on Hudl
We traded Saturday morning

caleb_mccaig
09-25-2013, 10:39 AM
Never avoided calls
He left a message Saturday morning, I missed the call, but called right back and completed the exchange on Hudl

There we go guys.

NTFan
09-25-2013, 10:44 AM
If it's opinion it's called a column for a reason. If people are to stupid to know what a column is that is nobody's fault other than their own.

I agree if it's written as a "column or opinion column"........but when its written as a game report, it can be misleading to others. Those guys have every right to write what they want in their newspaper. I just don't believe newspapers anywhere should be in the business of trashing high school players or coaches. If he felt like it was that important, surely a call to the VV coach would have been in order to procure the other side of the story? It was written in bad taste. It was unprofessional. If every coach that traded film behind the scenes were called out by their local newspaper, it would fill up every page of every local paper.

Back in the old days, it was harder to get film on opponents bc they had to make a copy, and you had to drive or send an asst to their field house to pick it up. Now days, it's the click of a button. It's done by just about everyone, just about every week. Even if you trade, people are always wanting end zone views, wider views, or something to give their team an edge on Friday night. It happens.

caleb_mccaig
09-25-2013, 10:49 AM
Yeah that's definitely crossing the line if it's written as a game report or say a preview. Kids should never be called out independently due to them mostly still being minors. However, the author certainly should have tried to get both sides but due to deadlines it can happen where the reporter called and the coach wasn't in. Not saying that's what happened but it may have been the case.

My Junior year, 2007, via, our head coach said, Palestine Westwood coaches refused to trade film with us due to a playoff stadium choice that was decided between the four teams the round before. We beat the snot out of them so it made it a little more tolerable, but it certainly is a bush league move to refuse film in this day and age.

ccmom
09-25-2013, 10:55 AM

I saw no indication that it was an opinion column, but maybe I'm too stupid to know the difference. :rolleyes: :doh::)

Red&White_9x5
09-25-2013, 10:59 AM
No dog in this fight, and I do not know anything about Coach Bagby at Van Vleck. However, I do know Coach Bowden and he is a good coach and as good of a person you will find anywhere. I believe if he was indeed upset that there was a reason for it. I agree with many others on here and find the greatest amount of fault in the journalism involved here. Instead of focusing on the game he focused on irrelevant events that should have been kept between the two programs. Very irresponsible if you ask me. I understand there are two sides to every story and I wasn't there so I am not picking a side, but I do know the character that Coach Bowden has and it is second to none

caleb_mccaig
09-25-2013, 11:13 AM
I saw no indication that it was an opinion column, but maybe I'm too stupid to know the difference. :rolleyes: :doh::)

I actually couldn't even look at the article. The link took me to the websites homepage. I just saw people saying it was a column on page one. So going off of these posts I concluded that it was column. It may not be at all lol, the link took me to a page that didn't work.

Txbroadcaster
09-25-2013, 02:16 PM
The dude refused to call Palacious coach back in order to set up film exchange. He didn't call him about it until he was unable to procure film in other ways.

If you want film on someone, then trade with them. Don't go around asking for everyone else to give it to you. That is the wrong way.

If you trade film and they only want to trade 3, then trade 3..... if you want more then go find it from someone else. But don't refuse to trade film. Bad business.

I am going off the coach saying in this thread he did not refuse film

Scoop27
09-25-2013, 03:02 PM
A big question of mine is that Palacios coach Bowden knew he was making these remarks for quotes to the reporter who wrote the story? Did Bowden know that the reporter was going to put what he said in the newspaper?

Scoop27
09-25-2013, 03:29 PM
When I wrote sports for three newspapers for 27 years, I always made sure that the coach wanted to comment on a certain subject. He or she knew what they wanted readers to know. If I wanted to state my own views, I wrote a column. I interviewed a couple of coaches over my tenure. I interviewed them in the morning and they would call me a and ask me not to say what they told me earlier. I've know Ryan and his dad Nick for years-also Nick's dad Bert who died earlier last year. They were always professional when I communicated with them for information. I was shocked when I first read this story on Tuesday on the website and paper hit the news stands today. As I posted earlier I've know coach Bagby for over 15 years when I first met him when he was an assistant at East Bernard. I also worked and interviewed him during my tenure at the Bay City Tribune. Hopefully this situation will blowover. I wasn't able to access any story on the Bay City Tribune website today since it costs to view it.

Weebe
09-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Good article Ryan. Tell it like it is. Coach got busted.

So, is this your nephew that wrote the article?

Cowboy_Up
09-25-2013, 07:28 PM
We haven't played VV for a few years, but for a while there we played them every year and we always rode a bus back and forth to our dressing room. Kids used to laugh about it and it was never a big deal.

Would anyone come back and play a 2nd half on Sat with district opening up the following friday? I just don't see that happening.

Now, Palacios on the other hand loves to screw with people.

coachc45
09-25-2013, 07:49 PM
I am going off the coach saying in this thread he did not refuse film

I stand corrected. When I opened this that time it took me straight to page 2 and I didn't see Coach's response.

coachc45
09-25-2013, 07:51 PM
Never avoided calls

Coach, Thanks for being a stand-up guy. When I replied about you not trading film I had not read your post yet. I apologize for speaking out of turn.

I have no problem getting extra film, do it all the time. Just like you talk about.

James Croley
Conroe Oak Ridge High School
Co-Defensive Coordinator