PDA

View Full Version : Brownwood @ Sweetwater

ccmom
09-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Any thoughts?

BEAST
09-23-2013, 11:02 AM
If we can cut out stupid mistakes we will be fine.

BEAST

bobcat1
09-23-2013, 12:01 PM
My thoughts are the Rocket and the Red are gonna be quiet again. :devil:

Phantom Stang
09-23-2013, 12:16 PM
If we can cut out stupid mistakes we will be fine.

BEAST

If we can cut out stupid mistakes WE will be fine.:D

Seriously, both of these teams should be a lot better by the end of the season. However, I'm going to say the Mustangs are a little ahead in the learning curve, and will beat the Lions in a high scoring game.

slingshot
09-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Brownwood ain't 2A... Loins prevail in a close one.

Sweetwater Red
09-23-2013, 03:09 PM
This year's team is as explosive offensively as the teams that beat Ryan Tannehill's Big Spring Steers 59-41 and Casey Paschall's Brownwood Lion's 56-41.
Problem is we allow just as many points as those teams did back in those games. I expect this week's game to be no different. I think both teams will
score in the 40s and hopefully Sweetwater will come out on top.

Phantom Stang
09-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Brownwood ain't 2A... Loins prevail in a close one.
They aint top 10 in 3A neither.:p
You're probably right about it being close though.

BEAST
09-23-2013, 03:14 PM
That kid is something.

Congrats AW on the win!

Dont quote me on the info here but after 4 games he has over 500 yards receiving I beleive. Not sure how many Td's. Thats good stats for a Jr or Sr but for a Freshman? Hes going to be fun to watch!

BEAST

BEAST
09-23-2013, 03:25 PM
They aint top 10 in 3A neither.:p
You're probably right about it being close though.

No, we are not right now. But we have dang sure played some of that type of competition. Have yall? If not, then how can you feel so good about your offense?

BEAST

slingshot
09-23-2013, 06:07 PM
Oh, they've played some top 10 quality opponents... we're counting 2a aren't we? :p

Phantom Stang
09-23-2013, 11:07 PM
No, we are not right now. But we have dang sure played some of that type of competition. Have yall?
As a matter of fact, y'all are fixin' to play the #18 3A team in the latest AP Poll(which surprises me as much as it does anybody), so you might have a point.:thinking:

If not, then how can you feel so good about your offense?

BEAST
Well, we have a player that throws pretty good, some players that catch pretty good, and they and some other players run pretty good. That makes for a pretty good offense doesn't it?:D

bwdlionfan
09-24-2013, 12:28 PM
I'm not really sure what to expect in this one. Pretty much what I've expected has happened in the first four games.

What makes this game so difficult to predict is that while Sweetwater has been beating up on (except for one) 2A schools, Brownwood has been getting killed by top 3As and a team that could beat some Junior Colleges.

Tin Cup
09-24-2013, 12:34 PM
Brownwood 35-21

Red&White_9x5
09-25-2013, 11:04 AM
seems like both teams are in the same boat here. Both can score points, but they both have a hard time stopping a runny nose. I am going to say after 8 overtimes and a score tied 80-80 that both teams are too tired to continue and they go down to Ma Allens and have a combined team dinner. Seriously, I think both teams will put up a good fight. I will take the Stangs 42-35

hollywood
09-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Hope Brownwood can win this one. It would be a good confidence modivator with all the adversity so far. Being that it's in the Mustang Bowl... and Sweatwatah is starting to click on O but the D is still giving up lots... It's going to come down to turnovers IMO.

Brownwood 42 (2 turnovers)
Sweatwatah 38 (3 turnovers)

Deuce
09-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Upset alert. Wood knocks off #18 Sweetwater by 3!!

BwdLion73
09-25-2013, 12:41 PM
#18 is kinda a shocker for me.

Good for Sweetwater though after a few years of being down it has to make the kids and program smile. If we knock them off we may move up into the top 50! ;)

Sweetwater Red
09-25-2013, 01:03 PM
Hey guys, for what it's worth here is a look at the two 2A schools (Wall and Eastland) that Sweetwater has lost to in it's first four games.

Here is pigskinpreps 2A Division I top ten based on their power ratings system.

1 2A - 3 Wall (4-0) 160.60
2 2A - 11 Franklin (4-0) 160.57
3 2A - 13 Cameron Yoe (3-0) 160.42
4 2A - 9 Tatum (3-0) 160.10
5 2A - 10 Newton (3-0) 159.16
6 2A - 14 Hallettsville (4-0) 157.32
7 2A - 8 New Boston (4-0) 156.37
8 2A - 13 Lago Vista (2-1) 152.60
9 2A - 4 Eastland (4-0) 151.05
10 2A - 7 Malakoff (4-0) 147.57

Currently they project Wall to finish 16-0 by beating Eastland (13-1) in the quarter-finals and then winning the 2A D II state championship by beating Franklin. Point being these two schools ain't no slouches as some on here seem to think they might be, 2A or not.

hollywood
09-25-2013, 01:42 PM
Good points SR... Friday's game will be a better indicator for both. Not knocking 2A but it is 2A. ;) It would be different IMO if Sweetwater was a small 3A... but they are not. A former 4A for crying out loud! lol

Sweetwater Red
09-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Good points SR... Friday's game will be a better indicator for both. Not knocking 2A but it is 2A. ;) It would be different IMO if Sweetwater was a small 3A... but they are not. A former 4A for crying out loud! lol

Uh...we are a small 3A Hollywood and Wall is already playing with 3A numbers. Those are both facts. :thumbsup:

BEAST
09-25-2013, 02:42 PM
So youve lost to two good 2A teams, who have yall beaten?

BEAST

Sweetwater Red
09-25-2013, 02:50 PM
So youve lost to two good 2A teams, who have yall beaten?

BEAST

Andrews and Breck. We scored a combined 90 points but allowed 64 which is NOT good. I wasn't
at the Andrews game but understand we had a 39-16 lead with 9 minutes left and let them score
15 unanswered. I don't know if we took the foot off the gas or were gassed like at the end of
the Monahans game last year. Breck just had a talented QB who we had problems containing
and that can be said for Wall and Eastland too. Both are returning starters and put up big
numbers against us. We've just struggled defensively all year. Hopefully the coaches get it
turned around before district play starts.

hollywood
09-25-2013, 02:59 PM
Uh...we are a small 3A Hollywood and Wall is already playing with 3A numbers. Those are both facts. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I didn't realize Sweetwater has dried up that much! Only 548 in the last enrollment??? Crap, at that rate y'all will be 2A before long. lol

Snyder_TigerFan
09-26-2013, 06:35 AM
Yeah, I didn't realize Sweetwater has dried up that much! Only 548 in the last enrollment??? Crap, at that rate y'all will be 2A before long. lol

Makes perfect sense to me! If I lived in Sweetwater, I'd want to move the heck out of there as quick as I could!

Sweetwater Red
09-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Makes perfect sense to me! If I lived in Sweetwater, I'd want to move the heck out of there as quick as I could!

I hear you have a niece or nephew on the way. I wouldn't put it passed your brother-in-law to move the family back to Snyder if it's a boy
so he can play for the Tigers. lol

Tiganut
09-26-2013, 12:21 PM
Heck I know when my parents moved me from sweetwater to Snyder in 1980 my IQ went up 50 points. Why would you not want your kids to go to Snyder. Heaven on Earth!!!!!

Sweetwater Red
09-26-2013, 12:23 PM
Excerpt from the Abilene Reporter News written by Evan Ren sports writer

Brownwood (1-3) vs. Sweetwater (2-2)

This one promises to be entertaining, given that these two clubs are averaging
a combined 63 points per game and are allowing a combined 90.
But 37 of those offensive points can be attributed to Sweetwater, and
Brownwood has been having problems with its tackling. The Lions have allowed
an average of 52 points per game thus far against a very difficult schedule, and
defense will be the difference here, albeit, a slight one.

Pick: Sweetwater by 3

BEAST
09-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Excerpt from the Abilene Reporter News written by Evan Ren sports writer

Brownwood (1-3) vs. Sweetwater (2-2)

This one promises to be entertaining, given that these two clubs are averaging
a combined 63 points per game and are allowing a combined 90.
But 37 of those offensive points can be attributed to Sweetwater, and
Brownwood has been having problems with its tackling. The Lions have allowed
an average of 52 points per game thus far against a very difficult schedule, and
defense will be the difference here, albeit, a slight one.

Pick: Sweetwater by 3

Evan never picks Brownwood. I think he picked our 2010 team to get upset like 3 times during the season. Then he picked us to beat Carthage. Im glad he picked yall.

BEAST

nobogey72
09-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Evan never picks Brownwood. I think he picked our 2010 team to get upset like 3 times during the season. Then he picked us to beat Carthage. Im glad he picked yall.

BEAST

Ren hasn't gotten over the heartbreak of Rogers leaving Snyder. There was obviously a "man crush" there. I think he is still in a deep dark depression. Writers that think they are coaches are annoying to me.

Sweetwater Red
09-26-2013, 02:43 PM

BEAST

He was a big fan of Snyder's back in the Will Clay, Dee Walker and Keenon Ward days.
He seems to have jumped off the band wagon the last couple of years though.

I tell you what, the last person on the planet I would want picking any of my teams in football is
Lee Corso. Talk about the kiss of death.

Sweetwater Red
09-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Ren hasn't gotten over the heartbreak of Rogers leaving Snyder. There was obviously a "man crush" there. I think he is still in a deep dark depression. Writers that think they are coaches are annoying to me.
Haha, or this.... Looks like nobogey has him pegged.

ccmom
09-26-2013, 02:47 PM

Isn't that the truth? :rolleyes:

Sweetwater Red
09-26-2013, 03:11 PM

BEAST

Btw, he wasn't the only one who did. :devil:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg53/detroit8990/caf28d73-b3f3-4a94-8b22-ac82c05f1501.jpg

Sweetwater Red
09-27-2013, 07:37 AM
Underclassmen scores

7th B

Sweetwater 0
Brownwood 8

7th A

Sweetwater 6
Brownwood 14

Beast's son had a 25 yard run on a double reverse,
a 70 yard interception return for a TD and a crucial
25 yard run on an end around on 4th down that allowed
Brownwood to maintain possession late in the game
and run ou the clock. Oh and #38 looks like one tough kid.

8th B

Sweetwater 0
Brownwood 34

Not much to say about this one. Brownwood just flat
out better.

8th A

Sweetwater 34
Brownwood 8

This team is a really fun group of kids to watch both offensively
and defensively. I can't wait until they're sophomores.

Freshmen ?

JV

Sweetwater 30
Brownwood 6

hollywood
09-27-2013, 08:36 AM
Underclassmen scores

7th B

Sweetwater 0
Brownwood 8

7th A

Sweetwater 6
Brownwood 14

8th B

Sweetwater 0
Brownwood 34

out better.

8th A

Sweetwater 34
Brownwood 8

Freshmen ?

JV

Sweetwater 30
Brownwood 6

Sounds like good talent from both schools.

Congrats to Lil BEAST on his performance! I know he's a good soccer player! ;)

BEAST
09-27-2013, 08:49 AM
Underclassmen scores

7th B

Sweetwater 0
Brownwood 8

7th A

Sweetwater 6
Brownwood 14

8th B

Sweetwater 0
Brownwood 34

out better.

8th A

Sweetwater 34
Brownwood 8

Freshmen ?

JV

Sweetwater 30
Brownwood 6

Thanks for the nice words about my son. In the Freshman game Brownwood won 44-6 pushing that classes record to 24-0 dating back to 7th grade.

BEAST

Sweetwater Red
09-27-2013, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the nice words about my son. In the Freshman game Brownwood won 44-6 pushing that classes record to 24-0 dating back to 7th grade.

BEAST

Oh wow, no wonder I couldn't find the score lol. That 24-0 mark is very impressive.
We had a group like that back in the 90s and they went on to comprise the heart
of the teams that won 30 regular season varsity games in a row.

pirate4state
09-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Good luck tonight Sweetwater!!!

hollywood
09-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Good luck tonight Sweetwater!!!

What about Brownwood?

ccmom
09-27-2013, 10:51 AM
What about Brownwood?

Exact;y....what about em? :rolleyes:

hollywood
09-27-2013, 10:57 AM
Exact;y....what about em? :rolleyes:

Is this a new code ccmom... "Exact;y"? :spitlol:

ccmom
09-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Is this a new code ccmom... "Exact;y"? :spitlol:

Jacketwood even attempting to correct someone's spelling or typing is one of the funniest things I have ever read on here. :rolleyes:

hollywood
09-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Jacketwood even attempting to correct someone's spelling or typing is one of the funniest things I have ever read on here. :rolleyes:

Glad I could make you ;augh today ccmom :rolleyes:... oops, I meant laugh! :clap: Dang, I crack myself up sometimes.

Ville-D
09-27-2013, 12:01 PM
Glad I could make you ;augh today ccmom :rolleyes:... oops, I meant laugh! :clap: Dang, I crack myself up sometimes.

S;ow day at the office?

pirate4state
09-27-2013, 12:34 PM
What about Brownwood?

Well, I hope they lose! :taunt: So good luck with THAT! :D

Sweetwater Red
09-27-2013, 03:13 PM
SW ends non-district vs. Lions

By
Ron Howell
sweetwatersports1@yahoo.com

They are two of the winningest programs in the history of Texas. One has seven state championships to its credit, while the other has perhaps the most unique setting for a high school football game in the state.
And even if the 2013 ver-sions don’t exactly resemble some of their powerhouse teams of the past, Sweet-water (2-2) and Brownwood (1-3) should put on an enter-taining show this Friday at Mustang Bowl.
Both are scoring a lot of points and, perhaps just as significantly, they are giving up a lot. Sweetwater has allowed 152 points so far, while Brownwood has been shredded for 207.
So unless something changes drastically, this year’s game could see a lot more trips to the end zone than a year ago, when the teams came in with the ex-act same records and the Lions pulled out a 28-13 victory in Brownwood.
Today’s game will be the final game for Sweetwater before the start of district play at Snyder on Oct. 11. The Mustangs will get their open date next week.
Sweetwater coach Shane Mobley said Brownwood is better than its record, noting that all three losses have been against top competition — No. 6 Graham (15-56), Wylie (16-38) and private school power Fort Worth All Saints Episcopal (27-70 in its opener). The one victory, 46-43, came against an 0-4 Snyder team that has lost its four games by a total of nine points.
“They are kind of like us right now,” Mobley said. “Coach (Chuck) Howard has got some young players, but they’re special. And of course, we do too.
“For us to compete with Brownwood we are going to have to execute our offense. They’ve got some good wea-pons offensively. The dif-ference in them and us is they use a tight end who comes in a lot, similar to what we saw with Andrews a few weeks ago.
“Each week you’ve got to get better. Defensively, we are going to try to run a couple of different coverages just to prepare us for district. We’re going to eva-luate everything and make sure we’ve got the best kids on the field.
“It’s a big game for us,” Mobley continued. “We need to execute and play at that next level, so that we know we can compete at that next level. (Brown-wood) has played a couple of teams in our district, and it’s allowed us to see a
little bit of where we are at.”
Sweetwater got a taste of the next level last Friday in a 42-28 loss to state-ranked Class 2A Wall. And despite falling 21 points behind in the third quarter, the Mustangs came up with two stops — one on a fumble recovery — and scored off both of them to get within 35-28 in the fourth quarter.
But Wall used a couple of fourth-down conversions to help seal the victory, the biggest on fourth-and-2 from its 38-yard line to key its final scoring drive.
“I was very proud of our defense in the fact that every tackle was a gang tackle,” Mobley said. We had 11 guys on the ball each time.
“We’ve just got to get to the point where we finish. I think the games will be decided in the fourth quarter from here on, no matter who we play.”

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/sw-ends-non-district-vs-lions

Sweetwater Red
09-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Hey, I forgot to mention to the BW folks coming in on
153 and HWY 70 to be aware of minor road construction
that is underway in town on Lamar St. (HWY 70) . The
road is torn up an traffic has been squeezed into two
narrow lanes, one southbound one north. It lasts from
the hospital until about a block from the middle school.
Traffic may not be too bad depending on how many people
Brownwood brings.

hollywood
09-27-2013, 04:23 PM
Well, I hope they lose! :taunt: So good luck with THAT! :D

Boooo. So rude!

:D

BEAST
09-27-2013, 09:15 PM
Who would've thought this one would be a defensive struggle at the half??

BEAST
09-27-2013, 09:52 PM
The Wood opening it up now. 28-12 late in the 3rd.

BEAST

hollywood
09-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Who would've thought this one would be a defensive struggle at the half??

Caught me by surprise!

Sweetwater Red
09-27-2013, 11:07 PM
Crazy crazy crazy game. I'm gonna say there were 9 total turnovers
and 250 yards in penalties. But still it was a one possesion game
with about two minutes left and us with the ball at
our 24. Brownwood just made one last defensive stand.
I just wish our extra point and two point conversion teams
were as good as our kickoff, kick return and punt return
teams then the 4th quarter might've ended 35-35 and we
might be in overtime right now lol. Just no excuses for
scoring 5 TDs and not converting a single point afterward.

Anyway hats off and congrats to Brownwood and good
luck the rest of the way...well except against Liberty Hill
...oh and us if there is any chance of us meeting down the
road. :-D

Deuce
09-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Upset alert. Wood knocks off #18 Sweetwater by 3!!

Close enough!