PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer struggling against Daingerfield 22-14 half.

Celina8
09-21-2013, 12:41 PM
I picked Gilmer to blow by Daingerfield, but looks like the Tiger nation is hanging tuff. Gilmer was minus 10 yards in the first qaurter.

defense51
09-21-2013, 12:47 PM
I picked Gilmer to blow by Daingerfield, but looks like the Tiger nation is hanging tuff. Gilmer was minus 10 yards in the first qaurter.

:eek:

Celina8
09-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Per Smoaky message board Gilmer had 19 carries for minus yards for the First Half. Second Half is just getting started but no score update given as of yet.

Celina8
09-21-2013, 01:31 PM
33-27 Daingerfield leads.

Saggy Aggie
09-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Dayum!!

ccmom
09-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Wow...interesting

regaleagle
09-21-2013, 01:40 PM
If this is the vaunted Gilmer offense that's unstoppable, then the Buckeyes fans have cause for concern against teams like Chapel Hill and Kilgore upcoming in district play.....much less making it all the way to the SC game in DII again. There's a team in Argyle that's very good, ready and waiting this season. Last season Argyle was "young' and had a very good defense. This year....and what a difference a year makes....the team is not only seasoned, but lost very little from last year's squad. In fact, what was "lost" has actually been improved upon in every area. Of course, we'd love a rematch with the Buckeyes, and hope they stay undefeated til the regional final. Argyle more or less expects to go DII with Carrollton Ranchview on the upsurge....just saying. So get your Buckie Boys ready to rumble.

Celina8
09-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Whoa guy's score correction as now the message board is saying Gilmer is leading 40 to 27 . Still I am surprised.

Celina8
09-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Heading outdoors to enjoy the beautiful weather guys so I want be doing anymore updates which might be good since I gave everyone a wrong score. You can follow the game thread over on Smoaky. It will be interesting to see how this thing ends. Actually Daingerfield has played them tuff the entire game so far.

regaleagle
09-21-2013, 01:50 PM
I predict the Buckeyes will pull this one out....they always do. In fact, this kind of game should be just the medicine this team needs to propel them to more improvement. You really can't blame it on the weather today. One of the Gilmer posters said this game is kinda of rivalry-like between these two schools. Whether Gilmer wins or loses today, imo they are still the team to beat in Region II as far as D2 is concerned. This game will make them even better now, regardless of who wins today. That's the reality of it all.

adoptedbuckeye
09-21-2013, 02:20 PM
54-27 Buckeyes with 6 minutes left. Daingerfield never led the game

movethechain
09-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Wow, Wow, Really, Wow !!! We are not sure who's team showed up in black uniforms today at Buckeye stadium, but there is no way it is the same team I have watched the last 3 weeks. We honestly lost count of the number of turnovers. In all my years of watching and playing Buckeye football, this has to be about the most dismal display of football skills ever by a Gilmer team. The whole team was in a fog (on a beautiful sunshiny day). We could not run the ball. Tanner was sacked 5 times in the first half alone. Daingerfield played their hearts out, but they too suffered from the turnover bug. Impressed with Daingerfield's talent. They are speedy and don't give up. All the people saying Gilmer is on a different level this year are completely right, but on this day they were on a LOWER level than all other 3A teams. Lots for the coaches to work on before we see Gladewater next week. I know the kids work super hard every week to prepare and down weeks happen, but really? This was more of a letdown and lack of focus than you would expect from a top level team. Kilgore and Chapel Hill should really be licking their chops now after seeing the poor performance by the Bux. BTW, we did win 54-27, but is sure feels hollow and undeserved after witnessing the mess we saw today.

Aesculus gilmus
09-21-2013, 03:44 PM
Just got back from the game. PA announcer Tom Steele said that this was the first day game at Buckeye Stadium in 50 years.

With any luck at all, our next one will not be until Sept. 21, 2063. Playing high school football during the middle of the day on a Saturday violates some law of nature, IMO.

This was just a sloppy game and it turns out it could have been played last night because it only actually rained for about 10 minutes during the period from 7:30 to 10 p.m. when it was scheduled to be played, but the forecast of more heavy rain last night was considered to be an accurate one. I kept telling people it would largely stop around 6 or so. I was a little early. It continued until 7.

The ballyhoo about the Homecoming ceremony with all the old players on hand celebrating 100 years of Gilmer football is what caused the delay, IMO. They wanted to make sure that went off well and it did today. It is awe-inspiring to see all those old Buckeyes and some relatively recent ones as well, including Manuel Johnson, who led Gilmer to its first state championship in 2004 and then went on to play for OU and the Dallas Cowboys (briefly). I still remember what it was like to learn what football was as a toddler. From that moment on, I wanted to play football. I remember times when I was growing up and things would go wrong in my life. I'd sit and reflect and say to myself, "There's still FOOTBALL, though! Life is worth living. :cheerl:

Then Steele announced over the PA during the second half that former Buckeye QB (he played about five other positions as well) Luke Turner had just thrown a TD pass for Rice against Houston this afternoon. It doesn't get any better than this, from a high school football program perspective.

Daingerfield almost always plays Gilmer tough for a half. Last year it was tied 14-14 at the half. This year they stayed in it until late in the third quarter. The Tigers always have athletes. That's why they've won six state championships. They still lead the all-time series with us also. It'll take a few more wins for Gilmer to take the lead.

Buckeye80
09-21-2013, 06:22 PM
54-27 Buckeyes with 6 minutes left. Daingerfield never led the game

The Buckeyes played for the second straight week without starters Josh Walker, Nick Smith and Ardarius Johnson on defense. That can't be discounted here.

waterboy
09-21-2013, 09:31 PM
I also noticed the Buckeyes didn't have their all of their starters in on defense at one time the entire game, excluding the 3 injured players. No excuses, though, our Buckeyes weren't mentally focused today, and Daingerfield had a good game plan. The Tigers still have a lot of pride, and it definitely showed in that they played their hearts out for 4 quarters. I think this game helps BOTH teams in that Daingerfield gains confidence that they can play with anybody, and the Buckeyes in that they found out they still have a LOT of improving to do. Today's game was THE sloppiest game I've seen the Buckeyes play in a long time, but they still won, and a win is a win any way you can get it. I was disappointed in the way they played, but I'll guarantee you the players and coaching staff are, too. Good teams expose the other teams weaknesses with game-planning, and that's exactly what happened today. The turnovers, penalties, dropped passes, etc. are all things that will be fixed. I think a game this sloppy will bring the Buckeyes back down to earth, and they'll work even harder to correct the miscues.

Now we have to prepare for another big rival, Gladewater. The Bears will put ALL their eggs in one basket to try and beat Gilmer. The Buckeyes BETTER BE READY TO PLAY. Somehow, I expect they will. GO BUCKEYES!!

Eagle11
09-21-2013, 10:08 PM
The Buckeyes played for the second straight week without starters Josh Walker, Nick Smith and Ardarius Johnson on defense. That can't be discounted here.
sure it can everyone has starters go down

Buckeye80
09-21-2013, 10:29 PM
sure it can everyone has starters go down

You're right. But before we start circling the wagons and hit the panic button on the Buckeyes, let's consider that Nick Smith doesn't give up two long pass plays and the edge is not quite so vulnerable with Ardarius and Josh manning it.

buckeyebob
09-22-2013, 07:14 AM
After 58 meetings, I would say that Gilmer / Dangerfield is a rivalry...played in a few and witnessed many. Daingerfield came to play & as usual, they did. My Bux were a little sloppy & mistake prone...one of those days. Monday will be a day of anguish as they pay the price, Tuesday will be a good day, Wednesday a day of hard work, Thursday a day of focus, & Friday night, the lights come on, the band plays, I eat too much crap & my stomach churns & aches, and the Gilmer Buckeyes look down the field at the Gladewater Bears for the 57th time...Friday Night Football in the great state of Texas...ain't nothing like it.

poisoned10
09-22-2013, 09:37 AM
Many upvotes for you 'buckeyebob!'

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Manso/V8
09-22-2013, 01:52 PM
A lot of teams are overrated/underrated at this point in the season.

lostaussie
09-23-2013, 03:29 PM
A sloppy game I hear for the Bucks..............it happens. I certainly at this point wouldn't say we are overrated. Every team has a bad game, the good ones figure out how to win anyway. Lots of ball to play and i have liked what i have seen so far. (luckily I didn't get to see Saturdays game:D) We will be alright..............this is a very fine football team.

cowboyandchrist
09-23-2013, 05:59 PM
A sloppy game I hear for the Bucks..............it happens. I certainly at this point wouldn't say we are overrated. Every team has a bad game, the good ones figure out how to win anyway. Lots of ball to play and i have liked what i have seen so far. (luckily I didn't get to see Saturdays game:D) We will be alright..............this is a very fine football team.

Gilmer can not afford any more games like that one when district starts and heaven forbid they have one in the playoffs. Come on Gilmore we need two state champs from East Texas, the Gilmore Bucknuts, Kilgore Bull Dawgs or my Carthage Dawgs.

Buckeye80
09-24-2013, 02:59 PM
Gilmer can not afford any more games like that one when district starts and heaven forbid they have one in the playoffs. Come on Gilmore we need two state champs from East Texas, the Gilmore Bucknuts, Kilgore Bull Dawgs or my Carthage Dawgs.

I'm pretty sure we could play like that against either Spring Hill or Bullard and still win comfortably. They are both terrible this year.

hollywood
09-24-2013, 03:10 PM

Keep living in your pipedream cowboy... you need to find toddg from Avarillo... I hear he makes a mean piece pipe. Y'all can pipedream together and send smoke signals to let us all so we know you're both still kicking from time to time.

regaleagle
09-25-2013, 12:36 AM
I would think for Gilmer and any other playoff contender it is more important to enter the playoffs healthy than to have lost a game along the way because of some injured key starters at that time. LE had Davion Hall out against Celina, and now Argyle will be missing Boyzuick for several games. If you can have your team reasonably healthy with your key starters on board thru the playoffs, they have a great chance.

Celina8
09-25-2013, 06:45 AM
I would think for Gilmer and any other playoff contender it is more important to enter the playoffs healthy than to have lost a game along the way because of some injured key starters at that time. LE had Davion Hall out against Celina, and now Argyle will be missing Boyzuick for several games. If you can have your team reasonably healthy with your key starters on board thru the playoffs, they have a great chance.

While I agree 100% with you Regal, lets be honest if Argyle lost a game or Gilmer this Forum would light up like a Super Nova and there would be a shockwave blast of disbelief from both Argyle and Gilmer fan base including yourself.

buckeyebob
09-25-2013, 07:12 AM
Many upvotes for you 'buckeyebob!'

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

http://clicksmilies.com/s1106/grinser/grinning-smiley-042.gif Shucks

waterboy
09-25-2013, 07:17 AM
While I agree 100% with you Regal, lets be honest if Argyle lost a game or Gilmer this Forum would light up like a Super Nova and there would be a shockwave blast of disbelief from both Argyle and Gilmer fan base including yourself.

True. It would shock everybody. Even the fact that our rival, Daingerfield, played us close for a while lit the board up. There was never any doubt as to who was the better team. What surprised me more than anything was how sloppy the game was, not that it was close for a while. Up until last week Gilmer looked sharp, crisp, and almost unstoppable. It just goes to show that you still have to play the game, regardless of who it is you're playing.

Manso/V8
09-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Gilmer performance in the SC game is still etched in my mind.
Honestly it makes me question how good they really were last year and are/will be this year.

Obviously they were a good team, otherwise they wouldn't have been there.
They earned the title of finalist and deserve it.

We had lost to Navasota the week before, so I have a decent reference point on them last year.
It seemed like Gilmer was undersized/overpowered by Navasota in the SC, or maybe Gilmer just had a bad day and/or Navasota had their best game that day.

I normally don't follow the teams up in East Texas too closely until playoff time, I would rather focus on district and our area teams for now.
Gilmer is an exception this year.
I am real interested in following Gilmer this year since I know they have a lot of returning starters from a finalist team.
Kids tend to get bigger/stronger every year in high school, and learn how to deal with bigger games, especially if they have been in a few, and most of these kids have been in the biggest.

How does the OL and DL for Gilmer compare to last year?
Have the kids gotten bigger stronger quicker?
Will Gilmer likely go D1 or D2 with four playoff teams from each district?

waterboy
09-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Gilmer performance in the SC game is still etched in my mind.
Honestly it makes me question how good they really were last year and are/will be this year.

Obviously they were a good team, otherwise they wouldn't have been there.
They earned the title of finalist and deserve it.

We had lost to Navasota the week before, so I have a decent reference point on them last year.
It seemed like Gilmer was undersized/overpowered by Navasota in the SC, or maybe Gilmer just had a bad day and/or Navasota had their best game that day.

I normally don't follow the teams up in East Texas too closely until playoff time, I would rather focus on district and our area teams for now.
Gilmer is an exception this year.
I am real interested in following Gilmer this year since I know they have a lot of returning starters from a finalist team.
Kids tend to get bigger/stronger every year in high school, and learn how to deal with bigger games, especially if they have been in a few, and most of these kids have been in the biggest.

How does the OL and DL for Gilmer compare to last year?
Have the kids gotten bigger stronger quicker?
Will Gilmer likely go D1 or D2 with four playoff teams from each district?

There are some major differences that I've seen this year as opposed to last year. Gilmer is still not big, but they have a lot more speed this year. The offense executes much better. Once the offensive line gets a few more games under their belt, chances are they'll be practically unstoppable..., kinda like Stephenville was last. Tanner Barr (QB) is light years ahead of where he was last year, both in his decision-making, and his throwing. He has breakaway speed on the outside, and breakaway speed in the backfield. He has at least three receivers that are tall, fast, and agile, with jumping ability. The Black Flag defense has speed, quickness, and decent size (not huge) on the defensive line, and get into the backfield regularly, nearly every play. The linebackers have speed and are quick on their reads, get to the gaps and edges very quickly. The corners and safeties have, so far, covered every receiver like a blanket. They're not unbeatable, but they are very good in all facets of the game; offense, defense, and special teams. Injuries have made us a little more vulnerable in spots, but there's no huge difference. If this team can continue to improve as the season progresses, get the injured players back without any other major injuries, they'll be an extremely tough out for anybody. I honestly don't know how they stack up against teams from other regions, but they are a much better team than they were last year at this point in the season.

By the way, Gilmer will definitely go D2. Gilmer has the 4th largest enrollment in a 7-team district. I expect Kilgore and Chapel Hill to make the playoffs, both being larger than Gilmer.

lostaussie
09-25-2013, 01:14 PM
I would say that is a very real assessment. I have seen enough football in my day to know what kind of team can make a run at a title. This team has what it takes. Doesn't mean it will happen, just means we have a good shot. And for what its worth...........I don't think there were a whole lot of Buckeye fans that knew a bunch about statewide ball that really thought we had a chance against Navasota last year. I don't feel that way this year. We may not win it, but we can play with anybody.

hollywood
09-25-2013, 01:52 PM
I'm predicting a Gilmer/Argyle (most are too) Regional finals. Winner gets Graham more than likely for the semi's. Most think Graham is better than last season as well. Could be setting up to be a great D2 semi either way!

waterboy
09-26-2013, 08:35 AM
I would say that is a very real assessment. I have seen enough football in my day to know what kind of team can make a run at a title. This team has what it takes. Doesn't mean it will happen, just means we have a good shot. And for what its worth...........I don't think there were a whole lot of Buckeye fans that knew a bunch about statewide ball that really thought we had a chance against Navasota last year. I don't feel that way this year. We may not win it, but we can play with anybody.

I agree. I knew it was going to be tough to win against Navasota last year. I really didn't feel our chances were good at all, but I was hopeful as a homer. The Buckeyes overcame a LOT of adversity last year with the loss of a lot of starters, and won a few games early in the season that they probably shouldn't have won. The thing is, the Buckeye program and the pride they have in getting to wear that "G" on their helmet, made them play extremely hard with a "never say never, and never give up" attitude. They were extremely young last year, too. This year the team has experience to go along with that attitude. There is still a lot of youth on this team, but their is a very strong mix of experienced leadership that knows what it takes to get to the "big dance". I can see a HUGE difference in this team from last year's team. That doesn't equate to a championship, but I know the "potential" is definitely there, especially if they continue to improve every week.

buckeyebob
09-26-2013, 04:12 PM
I'm predicting a Gilmer/Argyle (most are too) Regional finals. Winner gets Graham more than likely for the semi's. Most think Graham is better than last season as well. Could be setting up to be a great D2 semi either way!

Can't believe you are cutting Celina out...they have their hopes up...I do agree with you. There is a lot of ball between now & playoff time...Gilmer could very well steamroll right on thru...they have the horses like I have never seen put all together...we will know pretty soon...Gladewater tomorrow, 1st game of District Play...they will play us tough.