PDA

View Full Version : Briles to UT

Luckydawg
09-18-2013, 07:34 AM
Just curious about something. Does anybody think Briles would go to UT if given the chance?

Red&White_9x5
09-18-2013, 07:54 AM
Without a doubt he goes if he was ever offered

coach
09-18-2013, 09:10 AM
Im one of the few that think Art doesn't leave Baylor. I have heard Kindsburry's name being brought up. I think they go after Daboo Sweeney, Muschamp, Kirby Smart, or Jimbo Fischer

Rabid Cougar
09-18-2013, 09:13 AM
Just curious about something. Does anybody think Briles would go to UT if given the chance?

Baylor will sue them. Oh that would really chap the Ol' Baylor Line. :):):):):):)

Bosqueville
09-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Baylor will sue them. Oh that would really chap the Ol' Baylor Line. :):):):):):)

Oh the drama of the Baylor Line... But I don't think he leaves. New stadium, returning the team intact next year. But, money talks I guess.

hollywood
09-18-2013, 09:46 AM

Yes!

He's a Longhorn fan first. Kendall went there from other choices given to him. ;)

Weebe
09-18-2013, 09:49 AM
I think Texas would want someone younger.

Macarthur
09-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Without a doubt he goes if he was ever offered

I'm not sure he would. Keep in mind that the ut job involves a lot more than just coaching football. There's a lot of politics and other stuff.

hollywood
09-18-2013, 11:39 AM
I'm not sure he would. Keep in mind that the ut job involves a lot more than just coaching football. There's a lot of politics and other stuff.

Any large conference school has the above. lol Even lil ole Baylor. Not just The University of Texas.

Macarthur
09-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Any large conference school has the above. lol Even lil ole Baylor. Not just The University of Texas.

There's some but baylor and ut are on diff planets when it comes to this.

SHSBulldog00
09-18-2013, 12:01 PM
Even though I don't want him to leave Sam......Willie Fritz has been gaining recognition after Back to Back National Championship appearances. I look for a third this year.

Hopefully the 3rd time is the charm.

coach
09-18-2013, 01:08 PM
Oh the drama of the Baylor Line... But I don't think he leaves. New stadium, returning the team intact next year. But, money talks I guess.

that new stadium is a joke

vtskneb
09-18-2013, 01:14 PM
If they offer he goes. I don't think they will offer him though. Talk about creating rift within the conference, of course what could Baylor really do and it would be the same song different verse from Texas, throwing their weight around.

The new stadium is not a joke compared to Floyd Casey. Major upgrade. Its not DKR, but what good is it to have a 100k seat stadium if they are all leaving in the 3rd quarter anyways.

Celina8
09-18-2013, 01:24 PM
I think Chad Morris the Clemson Offensive Coordinator will be highly considered as he was a long time Texas High School Coach with great ties to the High School Coaches, and he runs the up tempo offense. He would be a better choice in my view than Dabo Sweeny the Head Coach of Clemson. Will Muschamp will not be hired as he really does not seem to be doing that great a job at Florida. They are struggling with the offense and the fans are not pleased. Briles might be considered and if they offer he will jump as the opportunity for the chance remember I said CHANCE at a National Title would be much greater at Texas. That would be his only incentive for leaving Baylor at this point as money is not a worry with already earning 3 million a year.

Sville
09-18-2013, 01:46 PM
I would imagine Coach Briles' in conference buyout clause would be substantial.

Yes like a rocket

hollywood
09-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Would be funny to see all the Aggie backers in the Ville cringe IF Briles were offered and took the job at UT.

Macarthur
09-18-2013, 01:59 PM
I think they go with a younger guy that has HC experience. Someone like a dabo. I also do not see the university of Texas hiring a coordinator from somewhere.

Also, keep an eye on what goes on in Philly w chip Kelly.

hollywood
09-18-2013, 02:05 PM
I think they go with a younger guy that has HC experience. Someone like a dabo. I also do not see the university of Texas hiring a coordinator from somewhere.

Also, keep an eye on what goes on in Philly w chip Kelly.

Good point Mac.

Macarthur
09-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Another name I think is interesting is Charlie strong.

caleb_mccaig
09-18-2013, 02:36 PM
I'd be surprised if he left. He's got the best team in the state of Texas, sorry A&M but if Bama can score that many points, then Baylor wins by three, 84-81. He's already brought them back to relevancy and the recruiting is only getting better. Obviously money talks, but Baylor would try their hardest to keep him there.

Deuce
09-18-2013, 02:48 PM
I'd be surprised if he left. He's got the best team in the state of Texas, sorry A&M but if Bama can score that many points, then Baylor wins by three, 84-81. He's already brought them back to relevancy and the recruiting is only getting better. Obviously money talks, but Baylor would try their hardest to keep him there.

This thread just got interesting. Let the bashing commence!

Emerson1
09-18-2013, 03:31 PM
I would want Morris over Swinney.

slingshot
09-18-2013, 03:32 PM
This thread just got interesting. Let the bashing commence!A) He would go in a heartbeat if offered... B) Do you really think any buyout clause is going to stop UT? $$$$$$$ 3) Baylor best team in the state? Now that is funny... Best teams--A&M, Tech, TCU, Baylor, Texas--in that order...

nobogey72
09-18-2013, 03:32 PM
May sound crazy but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make a run at Saban. He's got no loyalty, obviously, and he could be the first to win a NC at 3 different schools. $$ would be no object for UT, if they wanted him. Who would have thought he'd leave LSU?

Saggy Aggie
09-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Dabo would probably work out well for the longhorns. He's had a pretty successful program with far less resources at Clemson.

As far as saban goes, it'd be a lateral move at very best for him now. Probably a down grade due to recent failures. It'd have to be a huge pay raise and he's already making an insane amount.... But it's not out if the question. If guess the longhorns would be the only school in the US that even has a chance of getting him.

What about Patterson?

caleb_mccaig
09-18-2013, 03:50 PM
A) He would go in a heartbeat if offered... B) Do you really think any buyout clause is going to stop UT? $$$$$$$ 3) Baylor best team in the state? Now that is funny... Best teams--A&M, Tech, TCU, Baylor, Texas--in that order...

Lemme know when one of those schools is averaging 69.5 points a game. Regardless of competition, no starters have played after the second half. Don't sleep on them, I don't expect anyone to give them credit yet, but I think they're the team to beat. Best WR core in the big 12 and the best RB. They'll be tough.

I could see Saban jumping ship. I really hated him when he left LSU and then after the NFL went to Bama. He doesn't care as long as he's paid. But do you think he really would want to have to maybe compete with his old recruits? I could see him trying to the NFL again and letting those kids leave and Bama suck again with a mediocre coach and then maybe giving Texas a shot.

New Taiton
09-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Baylor has a statue of a career 7-5 coach in front of their stadium.

Briles is going to win the Big 12 this year, which will put Baylor in a BCS bowl. In 4-5 years, he will have already done way more than the guy whom the statue depicts, and that includes several seasons of getting his stool pushed in.

Besides, as cranky as Briles is, there is no way he wants to deal with the LHN and the policticking involved with being the head coach at UT.

vtskneb
09-18-2013, 04:17 PM
as cranky as Briles is,

Wow, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Rabid Cougar
09-18-2013, 04:27 PM
It will have to be someone that knows Texas High Schools like the back of their hand. Briles has cornered the market on that. Sumlin is a close second.

Saggy Aggie
09-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Lemme know when one of those schools is averaging 69.5 points a game. Regardless of competition, no starters have played after the second half. Don't sleep on them, I don't expect anyone to give them credit yet, but I think they're the team to beat. Best WR core in the big 12 and the best RB. They'll be tough.

I could see Saban jumping ship. I really hated him when he left LSU and then after the NFL went to Bama. He doesn't care as long as he's paid. But do you think he really would want to have to maybe compete with his old recruits? I could see him trying to the NFL again and letting those kids leave and Bama suck again with a mediocre coach and then maybe giving Texas a shot.

LOL... Seriously? You're gonna beat your chest about hanging 70 on Wofford and Buffalo? That makes Baylor the best team in the state? You can't be serious. A&M just put 42 on Bama and they had 65 in the 3rd qtr against SHSU and Sam Houston would stomp wofford and buffalo too.

You're delusional if you think Baylor is anywhere close to A&M, much less better.

coach
09-18-2013, 04:39 PM

best team in the state my ass lol....

coach
09-18-2013, 04:41 PM
Baylor isnt even the best eam in the big 12

Macarthur
09-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Dabo would probably work out well for the longhorns. He's had a pretty successful program with far less resources at Clemson.

As far as saban goes, it'd be a lateral move at very best for him now. Probably a down grade due to recent failures. It'd have to be a huge pay raise and he's already making an insane amount.... But it's not out if the question. If guess the longhorns would be the only school in the US that even has a chance of getting him.

I don't think Saban would leave but there is one thing. That fan base is bat sh*t crazy. All it would take is one down year and they would be trying to run him out of town. I just get the feeling that Alabama is not where he wants to live for much longer.

What about Patterson?

Patterson would not do well with the LHN and the politics. Not a cultural fit.

Macarthur
09-18-2013, 04:43 PM
I would want Morris over Swinney.

Why?

Macarthur
09-18-2013, 04:44 PM
Baylor has a statue of a career 7-5 coach in front of their stadium.

That's pretty funny right there. :)

vtskneb
09-18-2013, 04:59 PM
Why?

Because Sweeny was in a make or break year when he hired Morris. Before him he was trending down, not up as a coach. Once Morris moves on Sweeny won't be the head man at Clemson very much longer. That is why the admin made him the highest paid OC in the nation. It is a very similar situation as it was at Auburn during the Chizik years, without all the cheating. Well I guess there could be cheating, I am not that close to the situation but I hope you get my point.

It is a big jump from OC at Clemson, which is Morris' most high profile position to date, to the HC at Texas. I think Chad will be there one day (College Football blue blood HC). I don't think it is next fall though.

Emerson1
09-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Why?
I know an odd amount of Clemson fans who went there and I know all of them would be a lot more upset at losing Morris than Swinney. Plus Morris' history. 169-38 in high school. OCd Tulsa to a top 25 ranking and win over ND. Clemson offense has been great since he got there.

Would Morris ever come to the dark side though? He did graduate from a&m.

toddg
09-18-2013, 06:05 PM
Maybe they should just hire Jimmy Johnson!! "Let the mind control the body, not the body control the mind"!!

Weebe
09-18-2013, 06:26 PM
Baylor plays about 2-3 games against legitimate FBS caliber competition this year. They could win out based on sheer crappiness of schedule.

Celina8
09-18-2013, 06:45 PM
Let see Chad Morris :
A big reason Clemson won the 2011 ACC title for the first time in 20 years. Clemson also won 10 games for the first time in 21 years and defeated a record four top-25 teams.
National Offensive Coordinator-of-the-Year according to Rivals.com in 2011.
Led the 2011 Clemson offense to many school records, including total yards per game (440.8) and points (470).
Molded Tajh Boyd into a First-Team All-ACC pick who set Tiger records for passing yards and passing touchdowns in 2011. Clemson also had a 1,000-yard rusher (Andre Ellington) and 1,000-yard receiver (Sammy Watkins).
Served as offensive coordinator and associate head coach at Tulsa in 2010 and guided that offense to among the best in the nation. That offense was a big reason Tulsa improved from 5-7 in 2009 to 10-3 in 2010. The Golden Hurricane won its last seven games.
Was 13th in the nation in passing offense (288.7) and 15th in rushing offense (216.9) in 2010. Its 505.6 total offense yards per game were fifth-most in the nation. Tulsa was the only school in the top 15 in the nation in rushing and passing offense.
Tulsa averaged 41.4 points per game, eighth-most in the nation, and scored at least 28 points in 12 of its 13 games. Tulsa was fifth nationally in first downs (25.6) and tied for fifth in touchdowns scored from the red zone (46). His offense scored 64 touchdowns on scrimmage plays (32 rushing, 32 passing). The team totaled 1,006 plays (537 rushes, 469 passes) in 2010.
G.J. Kinne was fourth in the nation in total offense (323.9) in 2010 and Damaris Johnson was first in all-purpose yards (202.2).
Won 82 percent of his games as a high school coach in Texas. He led Lake Travis High School to back-to-back, undefeated (16-0) state championship seasons. He won three state titles overall and played in six state championship games in his high school coaching career. He also won a state title at Bay City High in 2000.
In 16 years as a head coach at the high school level, he had a 169-38 record (.816). He earned coach-of-the-year honors in 11 of those 16 years.
His 2008 team was ranked #2 in the nation by USA Today and #8 by Rivals.com, while his 2009 team was ranked #2 by Rivals.com and #9 by USA Today.
Coached Jevan Snead (Mississippi), Kody Spano (Nebraska), Andrew Smith (North Texas), and Scott Elliott (Tulane) during his high school coaching career.
Education
Undergraduate degree in mathematics with a minor in statistics from Texas A&M in 1992.

Personal Data
Born December 4, 1968 in Edgewood, TX...he and his wife, Paula, have two children, a daughter, M

Macarthur
09-18-2013, 07:13 PM
I'm not saying Morris isn't a rising star. I just wonder if ut has the balls to hire an asst with no college HC experience? And he's an Aggie to boot. :-D

vtskneb
09-18-2013, 07:19 PM
I'm not saying Morris isn't a rising star. I just wonder if ut has the balls to hire an asst with no college HC experience? And he's an Aggie to boot. :-D

They won't hire Morris, but Sweeny is not in the position he is in without Chad. Bottom line. Isn't Royal a Sooner? That won't be a factor, him having no HC experience at that level will keep that from happening.

SHSBulldog00
09-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Just for the sake of argument Todd Dodge.

Mack has an approved list of coaches to replace him and those would include David Shaw, Fedora, and Boise State's Chris Petersen.

Nick Saban is actually the only other name we heard this weekend as a serious candidate which was surprising. In other words, we feel Saban is the first choice of large faction of power brokers at UT.

New AD could be Oliver Luck

hsbtex
09-18-2013, 09:16 PM
LOL... Seriously? You're gonna beat your chest about hanging 70 on Wofford and Buffalo? That makes Baylor the best team in the state? You can't be serious. A&M just put 42 on Bama and they had 65 in the 3rd qtr against SHSU and Sam Houston would stomp wofford and buffalo too.

You're delusional if you think Baylor is anywhere close to A&M, much less better.
He was kidding Saggy. He's smarter than that

Macarthur
09-18-2013, 09:18 PM

Mack has an approved list of coaches to replace him and those would include David Shaw, Fedora, and Boise State's Chris Petersen.

Nick Saban is actually the only other name we heard this weekend as a serious candidate which was surprising. In other words, we feel Saban is the first choice of large faction of power brokers at UT.

New AD could be Oliver Luck

I doubt Mack gets to 'approve' his replacement. :confused:

LH Panther Mom
09-19-2013, 04:45 AM
That was my thought. I think the only way he gets to is if he goes out on his terms after a huge winning season. The natives are getting restless around here & I don't see them putting up with Mack if the season continues the way it's been going, so far.

Rabid Cougar
09-19-2013, 08:13 AM

Really? So you didn't hear he coached at North Texas and won 3 games in four years????

hollywood
09-19-2013, 09:40 AM
Texas will go with an experienced proven replacement when it happens. For a program as powerful as Texas', alums and fans are beyond the point of frustrated. Almost like Abilene Wylie's fans about their football program. Used to success and used to being the big boys... now, less than steller.

coach
09-19-2013, 10:06 AM

If he is AD he will lol

Sville
09-19-2013, 10:07 AM
I would be shocked if Saban left Bama for UT, but like any good coach I fully expect him to use the situation at UT to get more money out of Bama.

caleb_mccaig
09-19-2013, 10:24 AM
Good to see everyone agreed Baylor was the best team in the state bar none. I knew I brought up some good points! Whenever Baylor goes undefeated and goes to the National Championship I'll be letting this entire forum know about it for probably at least 100 days.

I saw someone brought up Patterson earlier in the thread. I think this would be a decent replacement but I also am not very familiar with what Gary's allegiances are. Is there any shot he would leave?

SHSBulldog00
09-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Really? So you didn't hear he coached at North Texas and won 3 games in four years????

I remember but Dodge or Morris could be looked at as OC if the new HC is or gets rid of Applewhite.

slingshot
09-19-2013, 12:08 PM
...I saw someone brought up Patterson earlier in the thread. I think this would be a decent replacement but I also am not very familiar with what Gary's allegiances are. Is there any shot he would leave?Patterson=Jackass. Not a good fit... anywhere except insulated little 'ol TCU.

Macarthur
09-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Patterson=Jackass. Not a good fit... anywhere except insulated little 'ol TCU.

Jackass?

Scoop27
09-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Major Applewhite wasn't deserving in the first place as OC-His play calling this season is terrible-Won't run the ball outside or throw the ball up the middle instead of screen passes which are mainly for short yards

caleb_mccaig
09-19-2013, 01:28 PM
Just heard on The Fan that Texas is going to let Mack finish out the season and that Briles is not an option. However, apparently one of the names being spoken about is Davis Shaw from Stanford.

Deuce
09-19-2013, 01:34 PM
Texas will go with an experienced proven replacement when it happens. For a program as powerful as Texas', alums and fans are beyond the point of frustrated. Almost like Abilene Wylie's fans about their football program. Used to success and used to being the big boys... now, less than steller.

Wow, surprised this hasn't got some replies. Wylie fans must not care about UT and Briles

Phil C
09-19-2013, 01:37 PM

I hope not. After all they didn't approve Coach Royal's choice when he retired.

hollywood
09-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Wow, surprised this hasn't got some replies. Wylie fans must not care about UT and Briles ;) :stirpot:

That or they don't care to respond. They've kinda been in a pissy mood lately. Every since that Butt whooping they took in the quarter finals last year, they've been a little edgy... know what I mean? Lol

gambler1606
09-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Todd Dodge!!